Exaltred Second Edition

*merrily goes around editing posts just for the little quotation*

Okay, I'm really not.  So, that picture of Dace looks much better than a lot of previous renditions of him.  In previous renditions, he looked short, kinda chubby and more like someone who likes to role-play a warrior at SCA get-togethers than an actual mercenary captain.  This is much better.

Solfi said:
Since the whole "Dawn caste anima"-thing has always been such a hot potato, I thought I'd mention to check out the White Wolf site tomorrow ... they'll be releasing details of the new and improved Dawn anima for 2nd edition.
cheers
It's up on their site.

10 motes/One scene

If the Dawn's Essence is > than the opponent's Valor, he get a +2 to his DV against that opponent. On top of this, mortals need to succeed a Valor roll not to fill their pants and run.

This also kicks in for free when the Dawn's anima hits the 11+ range.

Much better :)

-S

... On the WW-forums it is mentioned that some of the other anima-powers are going to get a polishing as well (at least the Zeniths will). Presumably none so drastic as the Dawn tho'.

I must say, the automatic activation at 11+ motes of Peripheral Essence is a bonus of its own. I'm looking forward to see the other Caste's anima powers now.

~FC.

Also' date=' I've just noticed that the second edition has been put back an extra week to the 20th March.[/quote']
That's to give them extra time to leak tidbits of information ;)

-S

QC--There is that whole Swords and Sorcery line' date=' and WW is essentially holding the company that put out [b']Gamma World[/b]--which was one of the best d20 products to come out for a long while.
And there's the Adventure/Aberrant conversion--not my favorite, because I really liked the previous games, and while I didn't see a good reason for it, it does bring the games to folks who might have missed them.  Not sure how much revenue they're going to generate, but it shows that WW can put out products that kick ass for other systems.
My understanding is that Swords and sorcery is nearly defunct, and should pass away any day now. Yes, Gamma World has done very well, but Adventure hasn't. Aberrant was a great game, but as a D20, it has WAY too many competitors for a superhero game. about your future game, if they did Aberrant, there is a good chance they'll redo Trinity, which for those of you who don't know, is later in the same timeline as Aberrant.

Hmmm... I wonder if all the castes will have there anima banners kick in at some given point, some wouldn't make sense, but if they made them over, they might.

Nothing much new there really, the text is about the same and I am not sure if I like the coloured artwork better than the old one but that is not what this should be about anyway.

I do like the changes to the to the dawn anima, especially the activation upon reaching the 10 mothe threshold. But somehow I would have liked to see it being incorporated more into mail and steel and for example boosting the valor of troops lead by the bronze tiger.

Agree with you on the text for the Dawn Castes, not much has changed at all really.  As I've already stated though, the picture is good representation of how Dace should be in my eyes.

~FC.

QC--D20 has Mutants and Masterminds already for the D20 Supers.  I'm not entirely sure that the folks at WW were thinking with the conversion--but the Stunting system did help influence WotC's excellent Eberron setting, so perhaps some good has come of it.  

Actually, I can see exactly what they were thinking, but in the usual ponderous fashion, they reacted far too slow to capitalize on the D20 thang, and saw that WotC was going to recycle Alternity--which was recycling some of the old TSR Star Frontiers material--so I guess they figured the public was willing to accept recyclers.

On the other hand, the D20 Future game is well done.  Not a lot of setting material, but plenty of crunchy rules goodness, with the D20 hallmark of a blueprint to base your own upon.  They give you the tools, and let  you come up with your own, and make a few suggestions to give you a guide.  Their Modern and Urban Arcana books were just as good.

While WW is good at giving you background material, you have to give it up to WotC for giving GM's a toolkit.  Kind of like the difference between Macs and Windows.  Macs, and WW, give you a lot of great stuff at the gate, so you don't have to fiddele with things too much, while WotC has turned into the Windows of gaming, allowing you a lot of customizing features, that may mean a lot more work on the GM's part.  

It doesn't mean that WotC aren't above putting together packages that are self contained, with lots of setting material, but those are special packages, and most of their stuff is pretty much just blueprints.  Even their Star Wars--which was the best RPG adaptation of the franchise--was more about putting the tools in the GM's hands, as opposed to giving canon material to be adhered to, or ignored.  

Then you've got the bastard child that is GURPS.  Crappy system, but great setting books.  Plenty of great information, plenty of great ideas, huge amounts of background material to be raided, but a system that is so bare bones and customizable, that it can be wholly ignored and the books can be bought just for the background material...

Hate GURPS with a passion, but I still buy the books, because they do such a good job with the books.

Agree with you on the text for the Dawn Castes, not much has changed at all really.  As I've already stated though, the picture is good representation of how Dace should be in my eyes.
~FC.
Isn't this what everyone has been whining about?  They don't want radical changes invalidating all their stuff? :)

Heh. I don't mind some radical changes. As long as they aren't a total bitch to convert to. And as long as they actually improve the game of course.

... speaking of the anima powers, it was mentioned that the other castes will get a polishing as well.

Specifically the Zenith have been pointed out. I suspect said changes will mostly be the integration of the notes on the Zenith anima found in the Book of Bone & Ebony.

I think the twilight anima needs an overhaul desperatedly, too. Especially with powercombat it is completely useless... I wish it would give hardiness instead... or *gosh* something actually fitting a battlefield sorcerer.

Safim said:
I think the twilight anima needs an overhaul desperatedly, too. Especially with powercombat it is completely useless... I wish it would give hardiness instead... or *gosh* something actually fitting a battlefield sorcerer.
 Say what?

5 motes to roll your Essence in dice (plus dice from channeling a Virtue and/or stunting) to reduce damage inflicted!?

How is that not the best anima power for combat among Exalts?

memesis said:
~FC.
Isn't this what everyone has been whining about?  They don't want radical changes invalidating all their stuff? :)
True  :roll:

~FC.

Safim said:
I think the twilight anima needs an overhaul desperatedly' date=' too. Especially with powercombat it is completely useless... I wish it would give hardiness instead... or *gosh* something actually fitting a battlefield sorcerer.[/quote']
 Say what?

5 motes to roll your Essence in dice (plus dice from channeling a Virtue and/or stunting) to reduce damage inflicted!?

How is that not the best anima power for combat among Exalts?
On top of that it doesn't count as a charm, so you can use it anytime!

Nice. That political simulation system sounds interesting. I sincerely hope it's nothing like the old SC. And that further releases won't render it useless (like the old one).

Solfi said:
Nice. That political simulation system sounds interesting. I sincerely hope it's nothing like the old SC. And that further releases doesn't render it useless (like the old one).
Agreed.  With the 30+ Exalt templates, with Charms included, should be a good buy.  I'm interesting to see how the Mandate of Heaven works out.

~FC.

I'd guess they're going for the obvious ones that were always going to be canon playable, apart from the ones they've made part of the series as it went on.  I think the alchems/infernals will come back... if you wanna wait all that time... again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back