[Emperors of the Fading Suns] [Emperors of the Fading Suns] OOC Thread

CrazyIvan said:
Left the Argis-Fangs-Mirror thread again in a place where it can be halted if its running long, and also gave an excuse for Argis to come back if he wishes so Fangs doesn't have to rely on the damned warstrider for her killin'.
Also backstory! If you both wish to continue with it.
Is good scene, and backstory is fun. Now that I'm sorta back to a reasonable posting speed or should move better.

Yup. Combat gets tiresome quickly.

Take your time, I'll halt the scene when i see we can close a chapter.

The un/walking dead have perfect morale because they are just necrotech / necromantic constructs.

Ghosts however are dead and can feel fear (they still got their virtues).

I'm not entirely sure that ghosts from the Labyrinth have any humanity left... still, even if they have animal-level intelligence, they must have survival instincts... else they would not last long in the Labyrinth.

Saw Now You see Me today, gave me new interesting perspectives for Malek... well if he survives this scene :D

So, Imma do some math.

Death of Obsidian Butterflies does...8L damage, plus excess successes. Lets assume there's none. With 3L soak, that converts to 5L. Which at a magnitude 5 unit, converts to 30L of post-soak damage. Correct?

How do you go from 5L to 30L ? :oops:

If I understood the rules correctly, if a spell affects the entire unit (OB clearly qualifies for that), the damage is dealt to the unit.

So if you cast OB, you deal 5L to the whole unit.

If the spell covers the entire unit, you multiply the damage per 1+Magnitude.

Decrease the multiplier if the spell does not cover the whole unit.

This was added to the HRs specifically to make area effects especially powerful against stacked units.

@CI: your calculations are right, but since the ghosts are surrounding you and DOB is directional, it will be difficult for you to reach max effect unless you stunt it.

cyl said:
How do you go from 5L to 30L ? :oops:
If I understood the rules correctly, if a spell affects the entire unit (OB clearly qualifies for that), the damage is dealt to the unit.

So if you cast OB, you deal 5L to the whole unit.
"If an area effect attack strikes the entirety of a unit, the post-soak damage

is multiplied by [Defending Unit's Magnitide+1], to be reduced if the attack

strikes only a fraction of the unit."

xarvh said:
@CI: your calculations are right, but since the ghosts are surrounding you and DOB is directional, it will be difficult for you to reach max effect unless you stunt it.
...what kind of radius are we talking about for "surrounded"?

Crazy Ivan. Mirror can throw Fangs up into the air to allow her to cone spray everything. ;)

Mirror is of course totally confident *she* can parry thousands of butterflies.

Kacie said:
Crazy Ivan. Mirror can throw Fangs up into the air to allow her to cone spray everything. ;)
Mirror is of course totally confident *she* can parry thousands of butterflies.
If the radius is small enough, I was considering a reprise of Fangs' patented (and not working) anti-bloom Firebath.

Mag 5 so let's assume 500 ghosts, each covering 1m^2.

They can fit in a circle of about 13m of radius.

Hrm. Then Fangs' fireball is too small. So next question, which could easily solve this: If Fangs teleports somewhere, does her rider?

Other pertinent question - Mirror has Perfect Parry. If Fangs is thrown up above the plane of engagement and fires Obsidian Butterflies down, can Mirror use her perfect Parry to avoid damage?

Kacie said:
Other pertinent question - Mirror has Perfect Parry. If Fangs is thrown up above the plane of engagement and fires Obsidian Butterflies down, can Mirror use her perfect Parry to avoid damage?
It's resolved as a single attack. Mirror not dying to it should be pretty easy. But you also don't need to toss me. Getting elsewhere is trivial. Getting elsewhere with you was what I was aiming for, but if you're okay with being in the middle of a sharp-glass rainstorm...

"On my position, fire for effect!"

Remember that you are surrounded by blackness, space in the Labyrinth is rather abstract.

Defensive Charms are reflexive, so Mirror can coordinate Fangs' action and still use her PD.

xarvh said:
Remember that you are surrounded by blackness, space in the Labyrinth is rather abstract.
This is why we bring our own light source. Kacie, shall we try Deathbadger: Self-propelled Artillery Edition?

CrazyIvan said:
"If an area effect attack strikes the entirety of a unit, the post-soak damage
is multiplied by [Defending Unit's Magnitide+1], to be reduced if the attack

strikes only a fraction of the unit."
I strongly advise changing that.

Unless a spell creates some sort of continuous Environmental Hazard / Trauma to which the unit will have difficulties to react to, the effect of that house rule means that a spell becomes (Magnitude) times more effective than it should be which is technically equivalent to (Magnitdue) free casts.

DOB for example is an instant (and rather low) damage spell, with the 0 margin scenario it doesn't even kill an elite mortal with his armor (8L -6L = 2 post soak damage) in normal combat, and if you follow the house rules, it means that a Magnitude 5 unit will take 10 post soak damage (say they have all been caught in a long main street).

So...

- normal combat: an elite soldier caught in the vortex is grazed.

- mass combat vs Magnitude 5 unit: 300+ elite soldiers die in a second.

Sorcery is indeed dangerous, but this rule makes it reach a whole new level of brokenness.

Not that I want to screw with Fangs schtick... but that door swings both ways, and - forgetting that the effect is completely over the top - I don't like the prospect of loosing hundreds of super trained and equipped soldiers to a simple terrestrial spell that hurts about as much as a mortal with a sword.

cyl said:
Not that I want to screw with Fangs schtick... but that door swings both ways, and - forgetting that the effect is completely over the top - I don't like the prospect of loosing hundreds of super trained and equipped soldiers to a simple terrestrial spell that hurts about as much as a mortal with a sword.
So bring someone along with Emerald Countermagic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back