Dance Dance Reclamation!

Haku said:
Or they catch a solar, put the solar in a box designed to hold an exalted shard and then croak the solar.
I doubt the Yozi or anybody else could design such a box. Or, more properly, I think it would be cheap and inappropriate to introduce an artifact that could capture an exaltation which is leaving its host body and on the way to its programmed destination, be that Lytek's cabinet, Monstrance or whatever. A case could be made for shards which do not have a clear place to go (for example according to the Abyssals book it is possible to capture an Abyssal shard with a Void circle spell if its Monstrance is destroyed).

On the other hand, the Deathlords did capture (though rather ineptly) solar shards when the Jade prison shattered. Maybe they were disoriented from having escaped the Jade Prison?

The trick isn't containing the shards. The trick is making sure that your kill of the solar is fast and smooth enough that the shard containment system isn't damaged.

Lytek's cabinet, the jade cage, the monstrance of celestial portion, the boxes used to transfer the shards from the Deathlords to the Yozis via the Lintha connection, the Phylactery-womb... these are the -known- ways to contain a shard.

Also, what I meant was that the solar be killed inside a containment system. In which case, the shard has no way of escaping said container.

Yes, but you forget how much it destroys the continent when target just a few thousand miles from center. Doubly so in the Second Age. Her little kingdom will just be a shitty little ruin if they go nutters with the Defense Grid, even for a day.

And @syys. The Siddies did it, the Deathlords did it because the behemoth construct was designed for it. Nothing is impossible or inappropriate as you put it. Not like you have enough PCs for the shards anyhow. They won't care.

The Siddies did it' date=' the Deathlords did it because the behemoth construct was designed for it. Nothing is impossible or inappropriate as you put it.[/quote']
Well, the Deathlord undead construct (which is still around looking for something to do, BTW) is a case in point, agreed. I would put the Jade Prison in a slightly different category, because it was installed inside Lytek's cabinet where the shards return, and from where they are not going anywhere anyway. It's like putting a shard trap inside a Monstrance.

I still think it would be a bit cheap. For example, I like it that a Solar captured by a Deathlord and put in a Monstrance can free the shard simply by dying, or he can save himself and doom the shard by agreeing to turn into an Abyssal. (The latter is what one Solar in my campaign did. He has really good intentions, though.) If imprisoning a Solar would be enough to capture the shard as well, I think it would be... not interesting.

They could just steal the Monstrances for now, until they figure out how to capture Solar shards.

Quchu said:
They could just steal the Monstrances for now, until they figure out how to capture Solar shards.
True. Though it's a lot of hassle to first steal the Monstrance from a Deathlord, figure out who it is for and then locate and kill the corresponding Abyssal. (Incidentally, the characters in my group are now trying to do just that.)

Considering their temper, they'd just try to steal as many as they can and kill as many Abyssals as they can.

syys said:
Quchu said:
True. Though it's a lot of hassle to first steal the Monstrance from a Deathlord, figure out who it is for and then locate and kill the corresponding Abyssal. (Incidentally, the characters in my group are now trying to do just that.)
They'll have to do it at some point anyway otherwise the Abyssals will just keep reincarnating. That said I'm pretty sure the Yozis could reverse engineer the Monstrances if they could get a hold of one.

They'll have to do it at some point anyway otherwise the Abyssals will just keep reincarnating. That said I'm pretty sure the Yozis could reverse engineer the Monstrances if they could get a hold of one.
Um, the Yozis taught the Neverborn how to create the Monstrances, iirc.

And by the way, why does everyone assume that the Infernals will be operating under one unified command, with a clear-cut and well-thought-out plan...and stay that way?

I fail to see why there isn't as much infighting between the Infernals as there are between Deathlords, elder Celestials, and other powerful beings. The Infernals may be corrupted into GSPs, but they were still based on Solars--masters of Creation and all that. Now, they've been subordinated to a mere akuma who just happened to 'marry into the family?' If no one's trying to take advantage of the situation for themselves, no one's trying hard enough...

Ebon is the ringleader who wants to leave them in the breeze. Remember that. And yes, the Yozis did teach the Neverborn how to do such.

I agree with strawberry. Once the yozi win they will probably fall to infighting. I doubt even the ebon dragon could prevent that. The most he could probably do is make sure he comes out on top

Maybe that's actually his plan :twisted:

I mean he has married the right chick...

syys said:
Haku said:
Or they catch a solar, put the solar in a box designed to hold an exalted shard and then croak the solar.
I doubt the Yozi or anybody else could design such a box. Or, more properly, I think it would be cheap and inappropriate to introduce an artifact that could capture an exaltation which is leaving its host body and on the way to its programmed destination, be that Lytek's cabinet, Monstrance or whatever. A case could be made for shards which do not have a clear place to go (for example according to the Abyssals book it is possible to capture an Abyssal shard with a Void circle spell if its Monstrance is destroyed).

On the other hand, the Deathlords did capture (though rather ineptly) solar shards when the Jade prison shattered. Maybe they were disoriented from having escaped the Jade Prison?
there is already a canonical artifact to do this. it is called a Monstrance of celestial portion.

Edward

there is already a canonical artifact to do this. it is called a Monstrance of celestial portion.
A Monstrance cannot be used to capture the shard of an Exalt who dies within (unless the Exalt in question is the Abyssal to whom the Monstance is already tuned).

Okay... let me put it this way.

We know that there are ways to hold a shard. No questions about this. The Jade Cage is one example, the behemoth which caught the shards after busting open the cage is another, as are the boxes mentioned as being used to transport the shards to the Yozi from the underworld.

Now, the Yozi are the ones that provided the techniques to the Neverborn on how to -hold- and -manipulate- the shards. They can't make more, but they can retool and such.

Imagine if you will, you have a balloon filled with water, your attempts to get the water inside the balloon tends to fail when you pop the balloon as the water splashes everywhere and out of your hands.

Now, imagine if you had a plastic container that was large enough to put the balloon into, and pop it. Naturally, once it's sealed, there wouldn't be holes and such.

So, water balloon in plastic container... balloon is popped. Water splashes about in plastic container. It doesn't get out and everywhere.

Now, replace water balloon with exalt. Water with solar shard. And plastic container with strange yozi artifact designed to hold shards; possibly even a jade cage mark 2.

Is what I'm trying to get at clearer?

Taken from the chat before I had time to answer (goddamn reunions...)

<Flagg> Get a bunch of akuma/infernals in place ahead of time, summon about a dozen 3rd circles into Creation during one Calibration, then sit back and watch Creation fall
Only problem is the Akumas bleep on the essence threat radar (I remember Dukantha does and therefore cannot move too much in Creation), and the only moment to summon a 3rd circle is Calibration.

You didn't actually read what he said about summoning them did you? You know, the thing you just quoted where Flagg said he'd have it happen on Calibration? Do you like arguing for arguing's sake? Read the books and interpret it how you like!

I wonder... the reason that the infernals have lillum is to keep the shards from fleeing to the next exalt. If they could somehow find a way to connect a shard of the still living solar to her then when the solar died, she would get the shard instead of it automatically going back to lytek or a new exalt. I mean, she's already kind of a container for them, gross as she is. (Seriously. 12 years old???) anyway, then the yozi could tinker with them at will.

Of course, they probably had to have something else to hold shards since they managed to hang onto those 50 from the Jade prison so they could turn them into infernal shards in the first place. I mean, that was before lillum came along.

Aye, they just tinkered and let them free. The first Infernals walked to Malfeas. Then they set up Lillum fully and attached the fillament tethers of destiny to the shards.

She's not 12 years old anymore. By now she's at least 17.

She was 12, I believe, when taken by the Ebon Dragon. And that was over a decade ago as noted by Mnemon.

You didn't actually read what he said about summoning them did you? You know' date=' the thing you just quoted where Flagg said he'd have it happen on Calibration? Do you like arguing for arguing's sake? Read the books and interpret it how you like![/quote']... no.
I just meant (given the Calibration is the only moment in which they can be summoned) if several akumas bleep on the radar and the radar goes crazy because of the summonning it will become obvious and will call for a quick an heavy reprisal from Yu Shan, as they know it's the only window for a 3rd circle (plus the god in Malfeas would probably have warned the heavens if something that big was coming up).

Haven't read through infernals though, so maybe Akumas are not as easily spotted in Creation as demons on the loose.

Verumpira or something like that... he's the representative of Yu Shan living in Malfeas.

Will send page ref when I get back to my books... er work... ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back