Closed.

"Wow, really?" The bartender looked surprised. "Well, no one wants to come here since it's so out of the city centre." She shrugged. "I was thinking of closing the place, but it would feel like I'm letting my old man down." She sighed again. "It's seven gold pieces for the bed. I don't have any food ready, but I can share my dinner with you." It did sound much more expensive than in Shamuntati's villages.

- Haggle.
- Accept.
- Refuse.

Things being more expensive was certainly something Dhea would have to get used to. She didn't feel like haggling the price, and the idea of a bed and food flooded her brain.
"That sounds reasonable."

She smiled sheepishly at the bartender, her hand going over the back of her neck.
"I'm Dhea, in case you wanted to know."

"Amazing!" The bartender nodded with enthusiasm. "I'm Ellie, by the way." Then she let go of her and squatted behind the counter to look for something. She quickly produced a key and handed it over to Dhea. "Up the stairs. Leave your stuff and some back here for the meal."
"I'm staying here." Yan announced floating down onto the surface of the counter.
"Oh, hi." Ellie greeted the Minimite.
"Hi, my name is Yan. Do you have any beer?" He asked, shamelessly. Ellie laughed.
"Sure, it's on the house."

Dhea climbed to the room to leave her belongings and found it clean and aired. There were no rats or other vermin in the room and the sheets have been freshly washed. Once she was back at the counter Ellie had placed two bowls of stew for the two of them on the counter and sat on the stool. Yan was submerged in a mug of beer.

- Eat in silence.
- Ask Ellie about her.
- Ask about work.
- Ask about Khare.

Dhea almost moved to devour the stew, but her manners moved her to smile brightly at the bartender.
"Thank you."
She started eating, her thoughts wandering. She was curious about a pretty face in such an empty place.

Athdhea took a moment to look over Ellie's features. She smile, before shaking her head.
"So, tell me about yourself. I know it seems...out of the blue, but I'm curious."

"Oh. Um..." The bartender stumbled, clearly not expecting the question. "I ran this place with my father, until recently. Then the stupid man got himself killed." She sighed. "And now I'm on my own, trying not to disappoint him. But, I'm at my wits end. No business is coming in and I have to scrape by. On top of all that I have a rat infestation in the basement. Stupid rodents appeared out of nowhere a few days ago." Another sigh. "Well, that's it."

- Offer help with the rats.
- Offer help with bringing in customers.
- Ask something else.
- Finish the meal and go to sleep.

"Would you like me to help with the rats?"
Despite her hatred and mild fear of the rodents, Dhea wanted to help. This woman seemed so honest and the complete opposite of what she was told to expect in Khare.
"I could do that before I go to sleep, if you'd like."

The woman leaned across the bar, contemplating for a moment. "Let's make a deal." She said. "I have traps and poison and everything ready, but I can't bring myself to go down there. I hate them so much. So, you go deal with that and I'll give you that room for free tonight."

- Agree.
- Refuse.

Dhea shrugged, but a wry smile crept across her face.
"Alright. I'll do that for you."
She also planned on giving the woman gold, because of what she had told Dhea. She also resisted the urge to flirt with Ellie, as she had introduced herself.
"I'll do that now, if you'd like."

"Amazing!" The bartender squatted behind the counter to look for something. She quickly produced a pack of various traps and little sacks of powdery rat poison. "Spent my entire month's profit on this." She said as she laid it all out for Dhea to see. "So, please don't waste anything." Then she pointed to the bottom of the staircase where a small hatch in the floor lay closed. "The basement is there, please close the hatch behind you, I'd hate it to see one of those awful things climb up here."
"I'm staying here." Yan announced floating down onto the surface of the counter.

- Ask for a candle to bring into the basement.
- Go and use magic to light the way.

Dhea gave Yan a look, before taking the traps and poison in hand. She had already decided to use her magic to light her way. It would be easier than bringing a candle with her.
She cast the spell, descended into the basement and did the latch up behind her.

As she cast the spell the whole basement was enfolded in blinding light, like a part of sunlight was brought in. She could see clearly the shapes of barrels and crates and big shelves stacked with jars. And then a scream behind her.

She felt something go through her, something immaterial. Suddenly was faced with a ghost of a man, middle aged, plump. And smiling.

"Sorry sorry!" The ghost waved its translucent hands. "I did not mean to scare you! You startled me with the light!" He let out a nervous chuckle. "I'm Karl. Ellie's father. Or at least his ghost. The rats, you see, they are my doing." As soon as he said the words dozens of furry creatures scurried to clump at the ghost's feet. The ghost sighed. "They followed me from the graveyard. I only wanted to see Ellie for one last time before I disappeared and now I'm cursed because these damn rodents like me." He looked at Dhea. "She told you that she hates the rats, right? I could not bring them to her. So I'm in bit of a trouble here."

Dhea did not know any spells that would help out. She could still set up the poison for the rats, but they did not look very intimidating.

- Exterminate the rats.
- Ask the man what happened to him.
- Go out and tell Ellie.

Dhea looked at the rats and then the man, frowning slightly. She took a moment, trying to decide what to do. She sighed and sat upon one of the crates, her brows raising.
"She told me you were killed. What happened?"
She was genuinely curious, but also a little unsure if she should ask the question.

"I was stupid." The ghost spoke. "I got drunk one night and got run over by an ox cart. I wish I could say there was something heroic to my death, but there really wasn't." He placed a hand on his chin in contemplation. "I don't know how I became this wraith, though. I only remember wishing really really strong to be able to see Ellie again and tell her where I've hidden my gold. Poor girl is probably struggling. She should close this place down and make a good life for her far from this corrupted city."

- Persuade him to tell you about the gold.
- Leave and tell Ellie everything.
- Exterminate the rats.
- Leave and tell Ellie the rats are dead.

Dhea looked up at the man with an almost....sorrowful expression. She didn't know what to do. With a sad smile, she got up and brushed herself off.
"I'll go and tell your daughter. And do what I can to keep the rats away."
She made a face.
"Are you particularly attached to them?"

"I don't know..." The man looked down by his feet where the little rodents gathered in dozens. "I guess I am now... They kept me company. Helped me get to here from the graveyard." He squated down running one translucent hand through one of the rats, as if petting it. "Perhaps they'll leave when I do."

- Tell Ellie.
- Exterminate the rats.

Guilt.
That was what Dhea felt. With a soft sigh, she ascended the stairs with a rather conflicted face.
"Umm...I'm not sure how to word this, but..."
She met Ellie's eyes with the utmost sincerity. She inhaled softly and leaned her hands against the bar.
"It appears your father has unfinished business and is currently an apparition in your basement. He is also the reason for your rat problem."
Dhea rubbed the back of her neck.
"Just...come downstairs. I'll go first if that makes it any better?"

"My... what?" Ellie looked at Dhea as if she was insane.
"Ellie, the lady is telling the truth." The ghost called again, but did not exit the basement.
"You... this is some kind of a sick joke." Ellie scoffed, but still went past Dhea, her fear suddenly forgotten. As she passed by her she took the candle out of her hands, leaning down. With a sudden scream, the candle dropped. "Dad!"

--

The odd conversation between a daughter and a ghost lasted for a couple of brief moments. There was some arguing and some yelling and a lot of crying. Eventually Ellie climbed out of the basement, eyes swollen and red, the extinguished candle in her hand. "Well, I guess I can sell back the extermination supplies. The little bastards ran off as soon as my dad left. Um... wow, this was a strange night." She raised her gaze to look at Dhea. "I guess I sort of owe you that room. I... Could you please leave me alone for the night, I need some time..." Her lip quivered again and she hurried to the counter, turning her back to Dhea.

Yan noticed the commotion and soon flied back to her, his flight a bit wobbly. There was nothing else to do that night, but tomorrow Dhea had to plan her journey through Khare.

- Go to sleep.

Dhea nodded. She understood the need to be alone. She wanted to comfort Ellie somehow, but she softly said goodnight and left seven gold pieces on the counter.

She went up to her room and curled up, her fingers stretching over her pillow.

The sounds of the City drifted to Dhea in the night air - shouts and screams and an occasional, distinct howl. Despite everything sleep found her soon, too tired to think too much about the happenings of the City. At least for the night.

She dreams of the Wall of Khare. A huge thing, drenched in moss and slime. And of the onearmed prisoner, throwing the knuckles of his missing hand and cackling without respite. And it is as through she can see the Crown, looming behind the North Gate, so close, yet so distant.

--

"Hey, wake up!" She was met with Ellie's wide eyed stare. "What's wrong? You are drenched in sweat and screaming! Good thing there was no one in the inn, otherwise they would have asked for their money back." She could see Yan perched on the innkeeper's shoulder now, looking at her with the same worried look. As Ellie noticed her gaze she explain. "Oh, Yan and I were talking about something. Get dressed and come down, I'll tell you over breakfast."

- Eat breakfast with Ellie.
- Leave to explore.

Dhea shook her head, trying to remove the lingering effects of her nightmare. She was still unsure of why she kept dreaming of the Crown, but instead of focusing on it, she rose and got dressed.

When she descended the stairs to go eat breakfast, Dhea started to miss a certain person. There was a little ache in her chest and she blinked away the pained tears.
Dhea plastered a sheepish grin on her face, her fingers going through her still loose hair.
"Morning. I'm sorry about...frightening you."

"Don't worry." Ellie gave a kind smile as she stepped through the doors. "I'll wait for you downstairs."

--

The atmosphere of the common room of the inn was much different than before. Well, it was still empty, but the sweet smell of cooking was inescapable. Ellie kept disappearing and reappearing at the doorway leading to the kitchen, carrying pots and pans and all sorts of bowls filled with delicious food. Yan followed her around giggling and helping her carry a wooden spoon or two.

"Oh, there you are!" Ellie smiled at Dhea stopping in her tracks. "I have decided on bringing this place back in business. Finally now I have the means to do so. But, I still need your help." She said, standing in front of Dhea, with a pan filled with freshly baked cookies. "Look, I can deal with things here, get this place cleaned up, get the kitchen working again, but I'm gonna need someone to actually draw the customers in. And that's where you come in play. Yan!" She shouted over her shoulder and the Minimite came flying with a rolled velum which he dropped into Dhea's hands. "Manifestos." Ellie explained. "Spread them around the City and hopefully we'll see the customer rushing in. Oh and also, if you come upon a bard or some other entertainer, send them here as well, might need some music for the grand re-opening."
"I'm gonna stay here and help Ellie." Yan announced, though Dhea could sense the real reason the Minimite was staying. This way she would be able to use her sorcery should Khare prove as troublesome as everyone was saying.
"Well, grab a cookie and be on your way. Sorry, can't stop to eat breakfast after all." Ellie continued, offering the pan to Dhea.

- Agree with the plan.
- Don't agree.

Last edited:
Dhea shook her head, before grabbing a cookie and nibbling on it.
"Alright, alright."
She was smiling, though. She even waved at Yan and Ellie.
"You're an amazing cook, by the way."
She called that after herself as she left, her mouth still full of cookie.

Outside of the inn the air tasted fresh. It had rained a little overnight. Some distance from The Crooked Finger a busy crossroads marked the start of the City. As Dhea followed the path for a couple of minutes she reached the crossroads where the road split into three parts. These were the outskirts of Khare. Huts huddled like beggars on either side of the tracks leading uphill into the cityport.

It must be clear to everyone that Dhea was a stranger to these parts. The City's inhabitants - a multitude of malevolent creatures who would kill her just to take the laces from her boots - turned to watch her as she passed. To them she was just a figure to be jostled and robbed, and one who would most likely fall prey to the strange, elaborate system of traps laid across Khare by the early settlers to protect themselves from one another.

There were more people on the crossroads than she had seen in one place in a long time. None of them looked like Rhain, though, she would need to go into the City further in order to search from him. On the left road a group of youngsters hiked up the road with their backpacks. Further ahead the main road to hare continued, its surface rutted from cart-wheels. This was a supply route taken to the docks. To the right the road continued through the fields, but at the verge she could see colorful tents of a carnival.

Before she could decide where to go, a card rolled down the road from the right, careening around the corner to make a turn. A crate from the back of the cart teetered for a moment, then fell just at Dhea's feet, cracking open. She could see bottles inside of the crate, familiar looking. Blimberry potion! Some bottles got cracked and the contents spilled as the crate fell out, but there were two of them intact.

- Take one bottle and choose a path.
- Take two bottles and choose a path.
- Don't take anything and choose a path.

Dhea knew an opportunity when she saw one and bent down to pick the two unbroken Blimberry bottles up. She tucked them away into her pack and took a moment at the crossroads to look at the different places.

She was drawn by the colourful tents, the idea of so many people in one place. She could hand out the manifestos and hopefully find a bard or some form of entertainment.
So, she headed down the path on the right.

A wide track leads to the right, up to a large hut. That was the only building on this path was still standing. On either side of it were empty plots, collapsed houses, their walls thick with gripweed. It seemed that on that spot, in the shadow on the City Wall, people had chosen not to live. From somewhere further down the road came the rising and falling sound of a crowd gathered at the festival.

Ahead, the land rose gently, a thin, meager scrub broken by rocky outcrops. Goats roamed the slopes, paranoid, shifty creatures who fled at the sound of Dhea's footsteps. It was as if she was back in the Shamutanti Hills for a brief moment. This part of the City was barely inhabited and relatively safe.

Further along the track the sounds started growing louder. There definitely was a market or a fair happening by the river bank. After a few minutes, Dhea is walking between tall poles and rippling red flags. People of all sorts of races were sprawled across the path, and several tents were erected to either side of it. The gathered crowd looked good spirited and perhaps this was a good place for her to gather information for her own journey through the North Gate.

untitled_by_dawnpu-d71f6ft.jpg

- Look around.
- Listen.
- Explore the fair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back