Closed.

...at least he didn't beat around the bush. Dhea had to give him credit for that. She thought for a moment. She had to admit, there was a dark little part of her that liked this abruptness. She weighed the cons and pros, before smirking up at Shank.
"You don't even know my name."
She shook her head, before shrugging.
"I'm Dhea. Let's spend the rest of tonight together."

"I don't need you name. I have your smell." The Orc answered, his body now pressing down on Dhea. His free hand reached down to her pants, quickly unfastening them and pulling them down her legs. The grip on her arms slightly lessened allowing her to move them, should she want to. He did not move in to kiss her, he did not even remove his mask. But, knowing how Orcs looked like, he had to have two large tusks on his lower jaw and kissing would be difficult. Perhaps it was better leaving it on.

- Take off his mask.
- Leave it on.

As curious as she was, Dhea didn't touch the mask. She did explore what she could, however. She didn't know what the experience would be like, but she wanted to enjoy it. It wouldn't just be because of her scent or her luck. It would just be enjoyment.

The Orc was not shy, and neither was she. They both pretty much groped each other without any boundaries, losing their clothes quickly in the dark. It was not a gentle experience and Dhea was left with scratches and bruises over her back and thighs, though such things healed quickly.

After the odd encounter Shank simply walked away, content to leave her alone. She was free to go to her accommodations.

--

Yan awoke her in the morning, sitting on her nose and calling for her in a chirp. They packed and left Torrepani in the early hours, well rested and well fed. The path wound ahead and soon they were on the downward slope, away from the Shamutanti Hills, walking through stepped rice fields. As Dhea walked she could feel the loneliness of the path ahead - though Khare was a busy city, there was no honour among thieves, and beyond Khare there was nothing but vicious wasteland. She had gotten over the easiest part of her journey. It will be dificult to find anyone to trust in the days ahead.

For a brief moment, up in the hills above the path, Dhea thought she saw a figure stealing its way along by some high and secret route. A figure all in black. But when she squinted to see better, the figure was gone, like it was just a play on the eyes. In the distance the stone walls of the great city rose - the first true stonework she had seen since parting from home.

"You will need all your sorcery in there." Yan spoke close to her ear. "I'm only going to hinder you, friend. I don't want to stay here, but I promise I'm going to leave you alone once I find a good place in Khare."

- Continue ahead.

When Dhea looked at the stone walls, a flicker of fear curled low in her chest. She knew nothing of what lay behind them, of the world beyond this city. She wanted to return home, even if they wouldn't allow her back in. She just...felt very small and alone.
She shook herself off, trying to disguise her shaky resolve with a high chin and strong back.

And she pushed on. For it was the only thing to do.

Part II - Khare; The Cityport of Traps

Founded on the Jabaji River Khare was once a camp for the pirates who ambushed merchants sailing from Lake Lumle to the sea. But the camp grew. It became a village. The village became a town. And now Khare is a magnet for lowlifes and thieves, ruled over by a Council of villains. It is a place of treachery and traps - Dhea will always have to be on her guard. Her goal was the North Gate, the only entrance to the Baklands and the next stage of her journey. If her quest is to succeed, she must enter the Cityport of Traps - and make it out alive.

741219751e3465969bf8de732ff5eafc.jpg

It was twilight already. The great city of Khare had loomed on the horizon for the whole day, but had been so slow to reach, the path tracing great loops back and forth through narrow paths. Dhea had not seen a living soul since the black figure that had raced over the hilltops, making her wary of the surroundings. So naturally, when she turned around a bend in the pass and was faced with a beggar, he did not look like the most trustworthy person. He did not look like much of a threat though, head bowed, talking to himself.

- Wait and watch.
- Try to slip past.
- Approach the beggar.

Dhea stood back and watched.
She'd been told by many people not to trust anything about Khare, so she took that sentiment into the beggars too. She waited for him to leave or for something to happen.

The beggar was simply an unfortunate soul. Dressed in rags with his hands wrapped about himself. His head kept bobbing form one side to the other as he muttered something for himself. As Dhea approached she could hear the words.

"They are hiding in the rocks. In the rocks, sir, they are hiding." Suddenly his head snapped back and he looked at Dhea only then actually seeing her. "Who goes there? What's your business in Khare?" He asked.
"We are travelling!" Yan shouted as loud as he could.
"Eh?" The beggar looked at the Minimite. "You are so tiny!" His eyes widened. "No wonder you need to be carried! Where are you going?"
"Khare!" Yan responded, not letting Dhea speak yet.
"Obviously Khare." The beggar huffed, now standing very close to Dhea. "But, why? Answer me quickly, or you'll face consequences! I am the City Guard!"
"No, you are not." Yan crossed his tiny arms.
"Well, alright, I used to be." The beggar sighed. "Now, I'm out here. Alone. I don't know why." His eyes met Dhea's then. "Have any food?"

- Give him food.
- Don't give him food.

Dhea took a step back, her hand going up to Yan as a 'shush' gesture. She was unsure of this man's sanity, but she handed him only a small portion of her rations. She didn't even speak, still rather nervous and wanting to run.
Finally, she settled her nerves.
"Who is hiding in the rocks?"

The beggar took her food with gratitude, unwrapping the rations ravenously. Through munching he responded. "Goblins. You know." Dhea did not know. It was doubtful that the beggar would make much more sense. Before she walked past him, though, he addressed her again. "Wait. Here." He took out a rolled piece of tattered paper and handed it to her. "Fair trade." He said, pointing at the cheese he was eating. Then he shuffled down the path from which Dhea came.

Dhea unfurled the stained and torn paper.

5e392a8091747.562855cee9139.jpg

Well, the beggar was not that useless after all. She had just gotten the map of Khare in exchange for some stale bread and mouldy cheese.

A little further up the trail she could see the southern gate of the city. She had the key for it. Suddenly, Yan spoke, his voice very sinister.

"The walls weren't built to keep anything out. They were built to keep people in. Khare is one gigantic trap in itself." He shivered. "I'm scared of this place." And to back up his little musings, Dhea could see archers up on the battlements, facing in both directions. They moved in patters though, and if she was quick, Dhea would be able to run to the gate without them noticing. There were no guards at the gate.

- Run for it.
- Approach slowly and greet the archers.

Dhea pulled her hood up, before sprinting forward. She didn't want to deal with the archers and there were no guards. She'd seize the opportunity with both hands.
She was silent as she ran.

There were two archers on the battlements, marching and turning toward the city and outward in regular patterns. Dhea waited a couple of heartbeats for them to turn and then sprinted through the scrubs. Yan held onto her caught as she ran. No arrows flitted past her and she hit the wood of the gate with a small thud, stopping in her tracks. The South Gate was as tall as two men and broad enough for three horses to gallop through. It was locked and there was no other apparent way into the city. Luckily, Dhea had the key.

The tumbler of the lock clicked and the key slid in. The Gate was open. But, she could not know if there were guards inside it.

- Go in.
- Wait and listen.
- Cast a spell.

But, Yan was there on her shoulder and the spell did not work. It took out of her strength, nevertheless.

Suddenly, there were voices in the yard beyond the gate. One was very close.

"Hey, the Gate is open!" A moment later Dhea was staring into the face of a guard. He was rigid with surprise. But there were two more behind them and they acted fast. With swords pointed at her, Dhea could not risk to struggle. Hands grabbed her and hauled her through the gate, into the squat stone structure just inside the yard.

The doors slammed as the guards tossed her inside and walked out, the locks turning and shutting her off. The walls of the building were bare and the windows were barred. At a corner an old man was huddled, in quite a sorry state. Yan emerged from Dhea's hood.

- Greet the old man.
- Ignore him.

Dhea started softly cursing herself for being so stupid. She even went to go knock her forehead against the wall. She lifted her head and looked at the old man.
"Hello."
Before contuining her assault upon her head.

The old man ignored her. He had been staring at the ground, concentrated on a score of stones laying scattered on the floor. It almost looked like fortune telling. After a moment he reached down with his right hand, gathering the stones and then tossing them again. His left sleeve hung limp on the ground beside him - that hand completely missing.

"You are a sorcerer." Suddenly the man spoke, not looking up from his stones. "I feel it. You'll get us out of here, I'm sure of it. But, better yet, I haven't played Swindlestones with anyone smart for months. Wanna play?" He gestured at his stones and Dhea could now see that they had four sides and on each side carved numbers from one to four. She had never played this game nor did she know how and the old man did not look very trustworthy either.
"Yes, accept it. Make a bet. I'll help you win." Yan whispered in her ear, halfway hidden by her cloak.

- Play.
- Don't play.

Dhea stepped cautiously towards the man, before sitting across from the old man. She wasn't sure what to bet, but she would listen to Yan's advice.
"Alright. I'll play."

"Oh, it's my lucky day, then! It's easy. You get four dice. We each roll our dice in secret, but we bet on the total rolled amount. You call if you think the other player has bid too high. The loser gives up one die and we play until one of us loses all the dice. I'm betting it will be you." He cackled, pushing a cup with four dice over to Dhea. "Also, if I win you give me that fancy knife of yours. Only need one hand to wield it. If you win, you get the key to this place, what do ya say?"

- Agree.
- Ask something else.
- Don't play.

"The point is to trick the opponent. Doesn't matter which dice you have, as long as you know how to bluff." Yan whispered into her ear as she settled down to play.
"Let's start." The man nodded, flipping over his cup and looking at his dice, concealed from Dhea's view. He was contemplating his move for a long time.
"Just listen to me and you'll win." Yan whispered again, still hiding.

- Listen to Yan and cheat.
- Play on your own.
- Give up.

Dhea despised cheating, but she would listen to Yan. She could deal with the consequences afterwards.
She kept her face impassive, as if she was just in thought, while she waited for Yan's next instructions.

Wtih Yan's murmuring in her ear it took her about half an hour to win the game. The Minimite looked especially proud of his prowes, though he hid in her hood to that the old man would not notice him.

"Fine, you win fair and square." He said, though he was not amused. He searched for something in his rags and then finally stood up and unlocked the doors. "Well, off you go." He motioned her to go outside.

The yard was empty. While she had been locked up the sun had sunk behind the Walls of Khare - they would be able to simply walk out of there under the cover of the day. Yan fluttered into view on the other side.

"All clear." He called, finding his spot on Dhea's shoulder.
"Well, good bye sorcerer, good luck in Khare!" The old man said, before locking the doors behind her.

Dhea made her way through the doors and out of the yard. At the end of the yard the road split. To the left, a bit further she could see the City Guards, lined in rows, working the drills. It was better not to go there for now. To the right the road led to the first buildings of Khare. Night was fallen and she would need to seek shelter or risk being out in the open through the night.

- Sleep outside.
- Sleep in the inn.

Athdhea was quick to decide. She did not want to risk anything more with the guards or the supposed thieves that occupied the city. She decided to find an inn and sleep there for the night. She hoped to get a warm meal and a warmer bed.

The days events were catching up with her. At least she was never bored. That was an odd bonus.

By a bend in the road Dhea spotted a small inn, a lit lamp hanging over the doors. A sign outside the inn proclaimed it as The Crooked Finger. It was a polished inn, nicely decorated and very clean, though empty. Inside Aquila saw a bartender snoring over the counter, clearly not expecting anyone to enter. As the doors creaked closed behind her, the bartender snorted and jolted from her sleep.

de1e9f4c3fea61890c25d7eb71bfd89c.jpg

"Greetings, traveller." She said, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. "You are looking for directions to somewhere else, I suppose?" She sighed.

- Ask for a meal.
- Ask for the room.
- Ask for directions.
- Ask about the inn.

Dhea felt rather guilty about waking up the innkeeper, but she was hungry and tired. So, she smiled and shook her head. She also was going to try not to notice how pretty the woman was.
"I'm actually here for a room and a meal."
She also enjoyed the emptiness of the inn. She preferred the silence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back