• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Multiple Settings Bastion, a steampunk fantasy roleplay. (18+)

Foster

Inheritor
A rhythmic rocking motion brought Adrien back from unconsciousness, a distinct swaying like that of a boat on a gentle sea. Where was he…? His blurred vision began to clear, and he fought to make out his surroundings through the gloomy lighting. He was knelt in the middle of a barren metal box, arms chained behind his back and hooked to a metal bar protruding from the floor. A network of pipes ran across the ceiling, steam occasionally escaping though small cracks in the snaking pipes. Testing the bonds proved fruitless, he could barely move his arms, let alone escape the grip of the chains through brute force. He was still wearing his own clothes, but it seemed as though his pockets had been searched and emptied, leaving him emptyhanded and alone. Well, not quite alone.

“Adrien? You alright kid, you took a pretty nasty knock back there.”

The powerful voice of the fire celestial shot through his skull like a bullet, the dull headache that had been clouding his thoughts turning violently painful for a split moment.

“Not so loud Luci, inside voices please.” He groaned in response, wincing and really wishing he could cradle his head right about now. “What the hell happened to us? Where are we?”

“Well, I can tell you’re in no mood for an epic recount soooo I’ll just give you the abridged version. Remember that ice vessel we’d tracked down to Alpha? Turns out somebody else beat us to the prize and bagged you once we turned up on the scene. I wish I could tell you it was a close fight but…”

“Yeah, don’t bother. I gathered I got my ass kicked from the feeling that I’d been trampled by an Equinos.”

Not a boat then. A train was far more likely, especially if they were simply being transported to a different area of Bastion. No need to make a mess in front of the upstanding citizens of Alpha after all. But who had the resources to capture and transport vessels like this? Let alone the skills to track and identify them, clearly this wasn’t a threat that could be taken lightly. But first things first, escape.

For the first time it became apparent to Adrien that he and Lucindier weren’t alone in this carriage, though a small, barred window on either side of his cell he could see other prisoners restrained in a similar fashion to himself. The woman to his left looked strangely familiar, as if he’d seen her somewhere before. It hit him. It was the vessel he’d been looking for when he’d strolled brazenly into Alpha this morning, now looking far worse for wear now that she was chained to ground. He briefly wondered if he looked that sad to any onlookers. Her auburn hair contrasted heavily with her frosty eyes and even like this she seemed to be holding on to a degree of self-respect from the way she tried to hold herself. Thankfully, there was no way she could know that a few hours ago he’d potentially been on his way to kill her so maybe he could still glean a potential ally from his neighboring cell.

The cell to his right also contained a woman, although this one couldn’t be much further than the first. Snow white hair and peculiar amber eyes, not a combo you came across very often. Her physique and skin tone made him think she was probably some sort of outdoor laborer, probably not the inner-city type. Adrien wondered what she’d done to get thrown in here with a pair of vessels as she didn’t exactly scream dangerous felon. He would know, he was practically raised by them.

In the cell beyond her was something really weird though. At first Adrien simply assumed it was a huddled over man but the longer he looked the less sure he became. Glowing lights and odd wires could be glimpsed beneath a ragged shawl. It, and it was the safest term because Adrien wasn’t sure if it was even a human anymore, seemed more like a run-down automaton than anything else. But imprisoning a machine was insane, what would the point be? So it could atone for it’s mechanical sins? He was starting to get the all too familiar sense that he was out of his depth here.

“Tell me at least one of you guys has a plan to get out of here?” Adrien asked dryly, flicking a strand of hair out his face. His voice echoed loudly around the metal chambers, making him easily heard without raising his voice. “Because I don’t know about you, but I don’t really fancy finding out where the mystery express is taking us.”
Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian D Dgjkbfx Nocturnal Nocturnal

In one of the dank, decrepit alleyways of Bastion with its' rancid smell that drives off even the lowliest vermin, resides a cloaked man... No, that isn't right, he was a man once, now he is a subhuman thing that wallows in filth covered back alleys, who survives off of scraps of food, prematurely discarded for one reason or another. Either that or he hunts the spider-rats that dared to venture in his sanctum of rubbish and sewage. However, our backstreet hunter isn't on the hunt nor is he actively doing anything at all. Instead, the subhuman had been given a blessing that he sorely lacked since his... augmentations -- Sleep, oh the wonderful dullness of sleep. He's knelt in the corner, covered by his hooded shawl and an empty garbage bag, his right-hand stretched over to his left bicep, clutching the collar that once belonged to a faithful animal companion.

Fate once again feels contemptuous towards this mechanical freak. A van blemished with pipes that run across its' entire exterior. An occupant of the van peered out of the ovular window on the side. The alleyway, which appeared as if it was a corridor of darkness, made it difficult to spot anything significant but a faint glint reached the occupant's eye as it scanned from right to left and vice-versa. The van's copper-colored doors slid open quietly and four (for lack of a better word) mooks stepped out of the van. Their burly figures slinked across the crooked alleyway gound. They had made their way over to the subhuman, then looked amongst each other and smiled, the information, they had been given, was accurate.

Unbeknownst to them however the subhuman had learned long ago to sleep with one eye open. The garbage bag obscured his right arm as it shuffled ever so slightly towards the rusted pipe wrench. When one of the brutish types extended their hand to grab him, the subhuman threw off his makeshift blanket with one hand and the pipe wrench raised over his head. The pipe wrench shot at the punk who decided to bend over to reach the half-machine half-man, his skull was instantly caved in from the semi-motorized muscles of the subhuman, the sound of crunching bone rang in everyone's ear. The aggressor falls forward but the subhuman pushes him off, getting off the ground in the same motion.

He turns to face his opponents. The glowing, yellow eyes stared angrily at them, the fury in him was palpable, it radiated like thermal energy. A standoff took place between the subhuman and the remaining three men. The one who makes the first move will lose control easily, they all knew this well. The seconds would become muddled, whether it was the adrenaline that coursed through everyone's circulatory system or the hyper fixation on everyone's potential movements, nobody can say.

The anger in one of the aggressors took over his better judgment and decided to attack despite the silent agreement between him and his friends. A bad mistake as the lunge forward left him open. The subhuman dodged to the right and grabbed the attacker's arm, transferring his momentum behind him. The thug fell on the dirty ground, receiving a face-full of grime and waste.

His friends would not allow an opportunity to be wasted. They attacked in sync.

A voice within the subhuman roared.

DODGE FORWARD!

The others didn't hear it as the voice manifested itself only in the subhuman. He dodged anyway, even if the voice recommended it. Except it was not enough as the subhuman did not accurately account for his opponents' speed and size. They tackled him to the ground yet he still fought, his muscles and machinery strained and whined as they struggled against the combined strength of two people twice his size. He did put on quite a display despite their efforts, managing to get one foot properly planted on the ground. But enough of this farce, the third thug with a dirtied face smacked him over his head, taking away his consciousness.

--------------------------------------

An outside voice awakened the subhuman, he asked whether anyone had a way to get out or more accurately escape. Wait, get out? Get... out? -- The subhuman pondered until it struck him. NO, NO, NO, NO, NO! -- The thought screamed through his head as he began to struggle against the chains that bound him.

CLANG CLANG CLANG

The chains produced that annoying sound as the subhuman struggled with his augmented muscles. "NOT AGAIN!" He yelled out into the void.

Relax, you put up a valiant effort, struggling makes no difference at the moment.

The inner voice spoke but it was no use, no words reached the subhuman.

CLANG CLANG CLANG

Again, he struggled before quitting because of exhaustion. His stamina was never good even less so after the modifications so the ragged breathing became apparent very quickly to the three other occupants trapped alongside him. "Damn... it.." disdain crystallized with his voice, a mechanical layer to his words. He looked at the others, a brown-haired woman, one with snowy hair, and a pale man with a stringy build."What?" He uttered, again that mechanical overlay on his voice, quite peculiar.

D Dgjkbfx Nocturnal Nocturnal Foster Foster

Everything hurt. Dull, achey pains coursed throughout the girl’s body as she knelt on solid floor, swaying carefully from side to side to mimic the movement of whatever transportation she found herself on. Her head was foggy, thoughts and memories clouded by the rhythmic suffocation of her skull’s tight grasp on her brain as it throbbed from whatever injury she had sustained. Her posture was messy as she slouched over her knees, her head bowed with fatigue as her auburn hair draped over her face to hide her features. It was very unlike her to not hold herself in the utmost respect and dignity she had been raised with, by the aching pain she felt in her right temple caused her to weep in stature and formality.

The prisoner carefully opened her eyes after awhile, wincing ever so slightly as her eyelids ached from being closed for, what she could assume, a long period of time. With her sight obstructed by her red locks, the girl attempted to straighten her posture but was immediately recoiled back into submission from unseen restraints. She gasped slightly, rotating her wrists to find that her hands had been bound by cold steel, bruised and sore from an unconscious struggle that had taken place, she assumed, hours earlier.

“What?” She whispered in confusion, her voice raspy from her dry throat. She shook her head slightly, shifting her hair from her face and eyes that obstructed her view, turning her head to the side and peering over her shoulder in attempts to catch a glance at the shackles that restrained her. She flexed her fingers in and out, reliving her hands of the sharp pins and needles that pricked her nerves, “What is this?”

“Chains, my dear.”

A voice echoed throughout her thoughts, startling the poor girl as she snapped her head back in to position. Her icy gaze flittered from left to right, squinting in the dim light of the oil lamps that dotted around the metal prison she had found herself in. Alas, to her confusion, no one stood in front of her, nor near her.

What in the world?-

“We haven’t formally met.”
The voice echoed once more. It seemed feminine, sharp and formal. She crafted her words in such a way that the girl was forced to pay attention, her cut-glass accent pure and firm. “You do not know who I am, but I most certainly know who you are, Perdita.”

Her heart began to beat faster, quickening in pace as she felt it thump against her chest. I’m losing my mind. Perdita thought, breathing in through her nose and carefully out through her mouth in order to calm herself from the sudden startle.

“Not losing your mind, no,” The voice began, her tone sickly sweet as the words she used rolled off of her tongue. “You have only just learnt to listen.” The voice seemed as though it read her mind, answering Perdita’s rhetoric questions with elocution.

Perdita cleared her throat as she fought against the brazen restraints that held her down, collecting herself with a straightened posture and rolled back shoulders. “Who are you?” She questioned her thoughts, her face barren from any expression or emotion that she felt at that moment in time.

“I go by many names,” the voice hissed, sending shivers down Perdita’s spine. “But the most common alias I go by is Skarid, Celestial of Ice.”

Perdita listened but didn’t understand the strange voice’s formal introduction. She sat and pondered for a moment, leaving her thoughts silent. Celestial’s had been a familiar topic of conversation within her family, them being the reason of why the Monceaux family had thrusted their way into nobility and fame. But if what this voice- Skarid- spoke of was true, then Perdita was one of the 1% that shared her body with a Celestial being. She shook her head, surely not?

“Believe me, I couldn’t quite believe it myself.” Skarid interrupted, intruding on Perdita’s personal thoughts. “For a powerful being, such as myself, I was rather disappointed when I was ferried to this realm and tied with you.” The words she used stabbed like a knife, an aggressive, personal attack that was meant to shake Perdita. She paid no mind, however, refusing to falter from her upright stature.

“Well, from what I’ve read,” Perdita began, shaking the insult off with a venomous tone of voice, “Celestial’s are supposed to grant their Vessel with great power.” She was readying for a strike, a snake in the grass ready to pounce on unsuspecting prey. “Which you haven’t done. In which I can only assume that you are not as powerful as you believe. So, I can assure you, the disappointment is mutual.”

There was a silence as Perdita fought back, striking the Celestial with a backhanded insult to counter the one she had received.

“One must never assume. It makes them appear rather foolish when they’re proved wrong.” Skarid retorted. “Besides,” She began, a slight sigh shadowing her words as she spoke, “I gave you a taste of the power I inhibit, only for you to land us both in this metal chamber.”

At that moment Perdita broke from her posture, the confusion to great to withstand as she arched her brow, creasing her forehead at the announced revelation. She had no memory of events that took place before her capture, only the thundering headache that echoed through her skull. “I don’t understand-“

“Of course you don’t.”

Before Perdita could respond a masculine voice echoed off of the metal walls of her chamber, but this voice was physically there- not in her head.

Perdita sat up once more, recollecting her stern facial expression as she carefully looked around for the. She studied the room once more, peering out her small cell window and took note of each pipe that ran along the chamber, following a particular set of rusted copper which lead her to another holding. It had the same barred window as hers, but held a form of life within its shadows. She leant closer, peering through the darkness and at the figure held captive. It was a male form, his unkempt black hair strikingly familiar as she studied the rest of the cage. He was awake, most probably just as confused as she was, as she watched his steel-coloured eyes take note of his surroundings.

“Do not interact.” Skarid piped up, scolding the girl for even beginning to think of an answer to his question.

But, Perdita reacted in spite of the Celestial’s demand. She cleared her throat, quietly, and lifted her head toward the man. “I would like to know what this place is, and who you are,” Her accent was Crystal clear, her words blanketed with elocution and clarity as she almost demanded to know what was actually going on- a trait of hers that was inherited by her nobility, not desired by many.

Headache. Nausea. Aching muscles. Freezing cold. Chest getting tighter. Fear. Anxiety.

The young woman gasped suddenly and lifted her head as she awoke from her deep state of unconsciousness. The rush of emotions and physical pain came at once. Her olive skin was covered in goose pimples and dry blood. She was shivering. Really shivering. Her scarlet coloured lips were trembling, as was the rest of her hunched over body.

Her lips parted, but no sound was heard as the young woman cast her amber eyes downward towards her thighs. She was on her knees on a cold floor and something was dripping onto them. Drip. Drip. Drip. As the fuzzy haze lifted from her eyes, the ashen haired woman shrieked with terror at the sight of her own blood dripping down from her head and onto her thigh.

Pushing through her weakened state, the young woman made a cry of fear; unaware that the others captured here could hear her through the walls of the train she was being transported on. Her wrists burned against the cold metal of the chains that bound her arms behind her back and the sensation coursed through her veins and into her skull like a knife blade. She was sensitive to extreme temperature and particularly when it was pressed against her bare skin.

"Almera?!"..."ALLIE?! Are y-you alright?! Say something!"

The voice sounded more distant than usual, as if she were hearing it from inside of a tunnel. It was dripping with fear and the young woman, Almera, knew who it belonged to. She welcomed it in fact, the comfort it brought her made her more willful to gain her bearings. She had gotten used to the separation between the voice inside of her head and the corporeal voice of those around her.

"I..." Almera began to reply, but how hoarse and dry her throat was caught her off guard and she began to cough and splutter.

Water. That is what she really needed right now. And to escape. Almera did not even wish to know the reason she was here. She just wanted to shut her eyes and will for it to be a nightmare. Maybe if she squeezed her eyes tightly and wished hard enough, she would open her eyes again and find herself lying in the poppy fields beside her home. Staring up at the clouds with her best canine friend beside her.

Nothing. All Almera saw when she opened her eyes again was a securely locked door and barren walls. She had never experienced fear such as this before and her memory was hazy when she tried to recall the events leading up to this moment.

"You don't remember do you?" The voice spoke again, louder this time as Almera started to regain her senses. "Oh honey I am so sorry I couldn't protect y-you..." The usual silky voice was shaken and laced with upset. Guilt almost.

From the moment the Celestial bound herself to Almera, they had instantly welcomed each other. As if they were meant to exist within one another. To share a soul almost. Thetuna had came to Almera in her darkest hour and blessed her with unimaginable luck. Her entire family were saved because of her blessing and Almera trusted the Celestial with her life because of it.

The young farmer looked down at her clothes, her favourite hand crafted overalls were torn. Clearly ripped during a struggle of some sort. The shirt she wore underneath was still clinging to her body, but it was stained with her own blood. Of course Almera had sustained numerous injuries during combat with werewolves, so she was used to spilling blood; but not remembering how she was injured frightened her immensely.

"Allie...there are others here...I-I sense their presence...beside you..." Thetuna spoke more softly now, clearly she was trying to sustain her composure and keep Almera as calm as possible. For she knew that her life may have been tainted with grief and loss, but she had an otherwise quiet life in Omega. Free from violence and crime for the most part.

Almera whimpered again with distress at the announcement of other people being around her and she shook her head lightly.

"I never should have left h-home. What was I thinking... venturing i-into the city like that? Outsiders l-like me aren't welcome...and we never will be." Almera's voice cracked as a single tear slid down her rosy cheek and onto her chest. "That'll t-teach me to try and make friends with city folk."

Thetuna gasped inside of Almera's mind and she tutted at her, as if mildly scolding her for something irritating. "Do NOT blame yourself for this. You are just as valuable as everyone else who lives in Bastion. If anything, you are MORE valuable! You work hard everyday providing food to those pigs who fill their stomachs with more than enough, tossing the rest away in the rubbish whilst you and your family starved!"

The young woman winced in reply and suddenly the cold became more apparent to Almera as her body continued shaking and she winced with anxiety. Her chains rattled in response to her trembling body and she was terrified of alerting someone who may mean her harm. Raising her head as much as she could muster, Almera turned her head towards her left and she gasped at seeing another person in chains staring back at her. A young handsome man with black shaggy hair, dressed in dark clothing and boots. She did not recognise him, but he was clearly in pain also.

With a quick turn of her head, Almera averted her gaze from the stranger and shut her eyes tightly. Maybe she would still wake up if she tried even harder still...

Last edited:

Adrien’s request to his fellow prisoners for possible escape plans was met with resounding disappointment. Not one of the strange individuals he was trapped here with had given him anything he could work with, just questions, fruitless struggling and silence. Still it wasn’t like he could blame them for not having any more useful cards to play, he was chained up here the same as they were.

“I was hoping for answers rather than questions, love.” He shot back at the upper-class woman in the cell beside him after she demanded more information about their unfortunate circumstances. He was almost tempted to ignore her, never having gotten along with snooty noble types, but it wasn’t like he had anything better to do right now. “Feel that rhythmic motion through the floor? A little bump every second or so. I reckon those are tracks and that we’ve been loaded on to a train, although where it’s heading, I have no idea.”

The struggles of the weird looking figure had grown weak now and his ragged breathing was loud enough that Adrien could pick out a distinctly mechanical element to it. There goes the automaton theory, machines didn’t need to breathe after all. If he were closer to the figure maybe he’d be able to work out a little more of it’s true nature but as of right now he couldn’t see a lot past the white haired lass.

“I’ve got it!” Lucindier’s words were triumphant, as if he’d finally cracked something he’d been mulling over for a while now. “The reason you’re all lumped together in here, these two sorry souls must be vessels as well. I wasn’t sure until I heard that tin can start wheezing but you have to admit it makes sense.”

“I think you might be right. Why else would they lump her in with the rest of us?” Adrien replied to the voice in his head, subtly gesturing towards the snowy haired woman. “Poor lass looks a bit out of her depth.”

“And you aren’t? Looks like you’re both in chains to me kid.”

Adrien scowled at the ceiling, begrudgingly letting that comment slide so that Lucindier could finally get to his point.

“Okay let’s just suppose we’re all vessels then. What now, you’re proposing we just drop the pretense and tell them who we are?”

“Can’t see how it would make this situation any worse.”

A deep sigh left Adrien’s lips as he struggled to get comfortable with his restraints, resorting to a flick of his head to move a long strand of hair from his face. He really hoped that the lord of fire was correct or he was about to look like a raving lunatic, something that would dramatically reduce the likelihood of these guys helping him get out of here.

“Okay I’ll be straight with you. I know why you’re all in here, you’re all the same as me. Vessels.”

Adrien’s words hung heavily in the air, only the ‘clack clack’ of the train powering over its tracks breaking the silence.

“I’m Adrien, and my celestial is Lucindier, the self-proclaimed ‘Lord of flame’.” He looked around at the others to see their reactions before continuing, a degree of urgency in his voice. “Look I’ve risked a lot laying my cards on the table like this, I’d appreciate a little co-operation here because none of us are getting out of here alone.”

Nocturnal Nocturnal D Dgjkbfx Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian

"...you're all the same as me. Vessels."

The young man's words cycled through Almera's mind repeatedly.

Vessels.

Almera's family were not heavily dedicated to the Celestial's at first during her childhood, mostly due to their consistent struggle for food and basic living supplies.

"The Celestial's have abandoned us. They do not care for our family Allie...we make our own way and we use our blood, sweat and tears to put food in our bellies." Her father would remind Almera of this growing up, for she was a curious child and often wished that her parents would tell her more about the Celestial realm.

Of course this all changed once her Father passed away and Almera became Thetuna's vessel, the Celestial of Agriculture. Since that day, Almera's remaining family have fallen to their knees and thanked Thetuna for the bountiful harvest they now receive every season and the wealth they have accumulated as a result.

Almera tilted her head slightly and swallowed hard. Her gentle breathing was shaky as she tried to muster the strength to speak up to Adrien. As a farmer, Almera rarely spoke to city folk and she was particularly shy around those of a higher social status.

Thetuna broke the anxious silence in Almera's mind, she was fearful that her vessel whom she had grown quite fond of over the years would further endanger herself. "Allie...think before the words start to tumble out of your mouth like cooked spaghetti...you do not know this man... you cannot trust him, particularly when he is inhabited by the Celestial of Fire. He will likely have a deep rage festering inside of him...you associate fire with aggression too right?!"

Sensing the urgency in Thetuna's tone, Almera nodded in reply to her and she was grateful for the consideration of her wellbeing and it gave her valuable time to consider her response to both Adrien and the 'Lord of the Flame'.

Before Almera could utter a word, Thetuna continued with her nervous rant inside of her mind. "I mean...how entitled! Did you hear that?! 'LORD of the Flame' darling! Bow down to the LORD of the Flame!" Thetuna mimicked a similar tone to the other female captives voice when she spoke, a posh exaggerated accent to express how outraged she was with Lucindier's entitlement. "It's an outrage! He is NO better than any of us!"

Almera stifled a small smile at Thetuna's theatrical performance, at least she could always rely on her to cheer her up. Even in terrifying circumstances such as this.

"Y-Yes...I...I am a vessel too Sir..." Almera's voice was quiet and she winced with embarrassment at her voice being lost over the sound of the train rattling against the tracks. Ensuring she spoke louder this time, Almera repeated herself. She had no fear of admitting Thetuna's presence, she worshipped her and did not understand why anyone would go against her. "Yes...I am a vessel too...Thetuna...the Celestial of A-Agriculture...sh-she came to me several years ago and has since blessed by family with a new life..." Almera's voice was soft and shaken up by nerves. Her accent was common amongst outsider folk and she certainly did not come close to the eloquence and poise of the other female here.

Almera's body trembled as Adrien spoke to her, the cold still shook her to the core and coursed through her spine like daggers. She had no control over her internal temperature, a drawback of having a powerful Celestial residing inside of her body and sharing her mind. Almera's lips were bright crimson and trembling, but she could feel Thetuna's concern as an internal warmth and this comforted her. Unfortunately, it did not stop her shaking and she knew that she looked weak to the others.

"It is nice t-to meet you...and Lucindier Sir..." Almera had never had a conversation lengthier than a few simple utterances with city folk before and she was not sure how to address Adrien. She hoped that a formal title would be enough, the last thing she wanted was to appear insulting towards the others and draw more attention to herself.

‘The cheek of it.’ Perdita scowled her brow, wrinkling her forehead in disgust, as she shot a grim glaze toward the young man next to her. “Who does he think he is?” She growled through her thoughts, unintentionally reaching out to Skarid in hopes she would share her annoyance.

'A commoner,” the celestial of ice spat. If Perdita could see her, she would only imagine that Skarid would be rolling her eyes and looking down her nose at the male, just as Perdita would treat such a rude encounter. ‘Pay no mind, child,’ she sighed with a sharpest tone, 'he’s probably just as useless as the other two.’ A nod toward the other prisoners held captive within their shared locomotive prison.

Perdita stole a quick glance at the other prisoners, turning her head back to its upright position as she clicked her neck slightly, rolling her shoulders back. She shuffled against the cold, metal floor, taking note of what the man had said about the movement that rattled the prisoners in unison, shifting and shaking them in rhythm of the turning train tracks. She noticed the suffocation of the iron chains now, their restrictive grasp binding her to the chamber she sat in, becoming increasingly uncomfortable as her legs began to stiffen from the lack of movement, her feet shivering with a painful sensation as she tried to move her ankles in hopes to regain a healthy blood flow. Alas, no matter how her tight conditions caused her pain, the Lady Monceaux, in all her regality and poise, refused to falter from her perfect posture and continued to quietly fight against her restraints.

She offered an ear to man’s, who called himself Adrien, hypothesis on to why the four had been brought together in such conditions, listening to his assumptions on why the may be a common interest to their unmasked captor. With her ear facing Adrien Perdita had kept her gaze deeply rooted on the wall in front of her, refusing to pay any physical interaction toward him for she was still scorned by their brash greetings.

However, at the mention of ‘vessels’ Perdita’s fixated stare was torn by a sudden interest. The girl raised a brow, stifling her gaze slightly as she peered toward him from the corner of her eye and through the steel bars; ‘he’s like me?’ She thought, a glimmer of hope as she began to wonder if he had answer into why she now shared her body withe a being of ancient stories. She forgot, however, that her thoughts were not as private as they used to be, hearing Skarid clearing her throat to announce her presence. Her interest, too, has been captured.

The pair listened carefully, hanging onto each and every word Adrien had to say until a sudden revelation had reached its peak.

What did he say?' She spoke up, her voice raspy and cold as her icy words forced the hairs on Perdita’s arms to stand up in anticipation. Skarid had come alive, at this point, appearing at the forefront of her vessel’s mind with surge of intensity. This was the most Perdita had felt the Celestial’s presence, feeling clod to the touch as her veins began to feel as though they were freezing over. ‘What Celestial lives within in this fool?’ The mistress of ice was almost screaming, at shock or horror Perdita couldn’t tell; but the sudden reaction shook the young lady, jolting her back, slightly, as her heart raced.

‘I-I didn’t hear, Lucindier or something-‘

‘No, it can’t be.’
She began, stepping back slightly from Perdita’s mind, the icy chill thawing over as Skarid collected her emotions, ‘Oh brilliant,’ she lowered her tone, agitated at the reveal, ‘not only are we stuck with three, no four, useless bodies-‘

Four?’ Perdita quizzed, but soon realised that she was the fourth.

-but we’re imprisoned with a celestial that I loathe.’ Skarid ignored Perdita, far more concerned about whom she was keeping her company with. She was fuming, that being made apparent in the gestures of the celestials voice as she mocked and insulted both vessel and those around her.

Perdita’s confusion was almost too much to handle, not understanding the current situation she was in, she felt quite overwhelmed with the sudden exclamations and rude interactions she had been presented with. Her throat welled but her face remained vacant, her expressions refusing to mimic her emotions- a skill she had trained herself with form living with the Monceaux family. ‘I’m lost.’ She began, trying to make sense of the situation by consulting the strange being that lived within her head, ‘how do you know each-other?’ She turned her head slightly, as if expecting the celestial to physically be there to answer her question.

Skarid huffed, obviously annoyed by the predicament she was in as well as the mumbling questions she was presented with, ‘never you mind that, child.’ She composed herself, her pretentious way of speaking returning to her as she settled down.

A small, soft voice entered the air, soothing Perdita’s eardrums with its sweet honeyed tone. It reminded her of her late mother’s voice, warm and welcoming as each word was coated in clarity and serenity. Perdita tried to catch a glimpse of the girl speaking, but could only see a haze a white shining through the bars of the cell she was held in.

‘Pathetic,’ Skarid spat, unimpressed by the prisoner’s timid tune. ‘A child of agriculture, a shame really. To have so much power, wasted on the likes of a commoner- especially one that uses it for such ridiculous things.’

Perdita ignored her Celestial’s insults and listened to what the girl had to say.

‘Listen to her, stumbling over her own words. Uneducated pauper I assume, especially if born within a lower class.’

Perdita had come to the conclusion that Skarid was not much different from the nobility she had be born into. Cruel assumptions and spiteful insults spewed from the Celestial’s mouth, making her appear cold-hearted and pompous. This was the way of most socialites within Alpha, mocking those born outside of the pretentious city, born without wealth and fame. It was horrible really, but Peredita couldn’t help but to feel at home with the insults for it was what she was used to hearing.

‘Introduce me, make him aware of my presence,’ she interrupted, hissing her tongue as it slithered between her teeth as her voice rattled with self-righteousness.

‘What difference would that make?-‘

Did I stutter, child?’ Skarid shrieked, ‘do what I ask!’

Perdita shook her head, ‘what power do you hold over me?’ She began, straightening her shoulders as she began to attempt to fight back the powerful being she played host to, holding herself in such a way that she felt a bolt of confidence course through her very being ‘why do you believe that you can tell me what to do when you’re nothing without my body?’ She spat, growling almost as she fought back.

The celestial was quiet, taken aback by her host’s outburst of rebellion, confused at what interaction she had be thrown into. No one spoke back toward the Mistress of ice, but this human had began to fight her corner- it was, exciting.

However thrilling the conversation may be, Skarid chuckled to herself before sending a surge of intense energy through Perdita’s body, causing a painful yelp to escape the girl’s monotonous disposition.

Perdita has lost all composition of her body’s melancholy, arching her back in sheer agony as her body crumbled to the power of the Celestial. She felt the pain begin from her right hand side, sharp stinging sensations travelling from the tip of her middle finger, up through her arm and neck, to the centre of her cheek. It was a cold ache, an icy discomfort tormenting multiple nerves within its path as it seemed to fracture her porcelain skin with its wake. ‘Enough,’ she pleaded through her teeth, her eyes sealed as she struggled to battle that fire she felt.

‘What was that?’ Skarid dug her claws in deeper, another surge of power bolting through her system. ‘I thought I was nothing, that I held no power-'
‘I said enough,’
her voice was determined but shaky, holding her ground to earn some slither of respect from Skarid as she tried to fight against the pain.

‘Oh, but I’ve only just started. Don’t you want to see what I can do to those who oppose me-‘

‘Please,’
Perdita bowed her head in submission, the pain beginning to become to much to handle, ’enough.’

Skaird huffed, letting go of her icy grasp, ‘very well.’

The girl almost dropped to the floor with relief, but held herself with composure as the right side of her body shook with damage. It stung, but it was a cold pain- one you would feel if you were to delve your bare hands into icy water, keeping them there long enough to feel the sharp pain of hypothermia settle within your bones.

‘Announce my presence, Perdita.’ Skarid demanded once more, but this time she acknowledge her host’s name. The Mistress of Ice began to thaw at the display of resilience and determination, a pinprick of respect shadowing her opinion upon Perdita.

Perdita rose, her posture blooming from the sudden pain she had felt and straightened against the little pride she had for standing her ground. She cleared her throat, “you,” she called out to the young man in the cell beside her, “Adrien was it?” She pretended not to care about their introduction just moments ago, a cool rush settling over her as Perdita reclaimed her nobility. “I am Perdita Monceaux,” she introduced herself with pride, feeling rather unusual at it as she hated to announce who she was usually.

Perdita held a prestigious title with her brith name and enjoyed flaunting it in front of those below her social class, but in front of other nobles was another scenario. She was ashamed, embarrassed even, as young Lady Monceaux was known only for her bastard heritage- a child born out of wedlock and raised as a savage to the Monceaux name. But that was before her adoption, after that she was known as Lady Monceaux, a ticket into prestige and a healthy sum of wealth. She was flaunted off to the highest family names within the nobility of Alpha, her aunt and uncle auctioning her off like a lamb to slaughter to eligible suitors who sometimes were twice her age.

They almost did it, however; but that was a memory repressed and wrapped in a blanket of ice. A memory she shuddered at the thought of. That was how she discovered the being that lived inside of her, that was when Skarid made a cold appearance.

“And I am accompanied with Skarid, Celestial of Ice”

‘Daughter of Winter.’

“Lady of the Arctic Mountains.” Perdita spoke through Skarid’s script, the pair speaking in unison as the Celestial spoke through thoughts, whilst her host spoke aloud, making sure each title was announced properly.

Perdita smirked ever so slightly, clearing her throat as she rolled her shoulders back to raise her chin, “and something tells me, our Celestials are not fond of one another.”

Last edited:
The mechanized gutter trash had fixated his conscious mind upon the task of escaping his current predicament. Never again shall he fall victim to another atrocious attempt at perverting nature. Whilst observing his surroundings, the interior of his confinement, the rush of the wind? Yes, the wind being sliced by the vehicle's locomotion. This sixth sense that he seems to possess comes in handy at unique times.

When his mutilated eyes crawled over to the tightened collar over his right bicep, a robotic sigh of relief was released from the butchered man. At least, they didn't take away that keepsake. Then that woman with the auburn hair began to speak up, by her voice alone, Abraham pinned her as one of the aristocrats who resided in Alpha. Questioning, a dagger of memory stabbed him, he recoiled as if having just suffered physical pain from the memory alone.

Then that guy replied to her. Pompous chucklehead Abe cursed internally. When he explained that they were on a train, the augmented man simply rolled his yellow eyes at the obviousness of it all.

Then he revealed an absolutely ludicrous proposition. If Abe's face could be seen underneath that leathery garment that had been surgically fused with his skin, then it would be the face of a man most puzzled. Great, another nutter. He deduced but was met with resistance from the other voice within him. Sadly, this man is correct in his assumption.

The machine-like scoff from Abe only served to deny the wind's notion. Do not reject the idea entirely, after all, what if he is right? As if the tortured patient didn't have enough problems, now his dementation is actively siding with strangers who would probably harm him. It wasn't even out of the question for him, even if his paranoia had not ruined any chance of trust, he still would not believe in this man's sincerity. I need not remind you of who I am, as I'm sure you know but a refreshing breeze is never unwelcomed. I am VÍterin The Cosmic Wind.

He begged silently for a gunshot to end him alas no such luck as Adrien introduced himself and his imaginary friend.

Then that white-haired girl's voice could be heard. Soft yet charming, a voice that is common yet also unique. Well, at least she won't assault his ears with her words. Although sadly, it seems she too had an inner voice. The walls of Abraham's denial seemed to be crumbling with every revelation though he did not admit it. A warm breeze from that one. I believe I had also assisted Thetuna when the pollen and seeds needed to be dispersed from the plants. The voice commented.

If you accept me, then our struggles will lessen not multiply. The detached voice announced. Oh, please. Once again denied.

He would do anything right now to become a desk monkey again, certainly would be an improvement over having a voice in your head and being sliced-and-diced into a mechanical monster.

And finally, the noblewoman began to announce her excellence although interestingly enough. No title, No lady, No lineage. Admittedly made Abe disappointed that his assumption was wrong, maybe she wasn't that brand of nobility, an excellent change of pace then she showed her kookiness. Ah, there it is, at least her celestial has some titles. His expectations being matched, made him cheery for a moment. I am not one for titles, they reek of grandiose condescension. A hint of venom rode along with the wind's reply.Passive-aggressive? This is the first time, I've seen you miffed. Didn't know I was like that. Caught off guard by the Víterin's frankly out of character response to Skarid's couriered nobility. Víterin did not humor Abe's ignorant jab.

Then it was his turn, everybody introduced themselves so should he do it? It would be courteous of him. When his lips parted beneath the leathery mask, no sound was released. He had forgotten how to introduce himself. How did it go? Arnold Creutzfeldt? No, that's not it, Nathan Collins? Anthony Noah Campbell? Wait, it was Abraham Norbert Cromwell! The motorized man felt... good. His name was the only thing that those bastards had not taken from him. Except now, that it was found, should he tell them?

I'd recommend that you introduce yourself. Properly. The wind deity advised. And why pray I tell, would I do that? A confused response. It's just a recommendation, you'd come off as needlessly paranoid and egotistical if you think, they will make an appearance in this. It seems as though Víterin was right this time although his work will still be accredited to Abe's subconscious.

"Abraham N. Cromwell." His voice mangled by the machinery in his throat, it sounded deep and raspy yet he had no true control over it. The intricate pieces in his throat produced a minute effect to his words.

Adrien’s words had managed to achieve the desired effect, catching the attention of every soul in the cells. Either the hunch was right, or he’d just outed himself as a madman and they were cursing their luck for winding up here with him. Thankfully, the snowy haired woman broke the silence and confirmed the theory was correct, her voice barely audible over the clacking of the train cruising over tracks.

The young man’s expression softened as he took pity on the lost farmgirl, she was obviously terrified. The celestial of agriculture didn’t sound like a powerhouse but hearing how she had come into this woman’s life and supported both her and her family suddenly made him feel like maybe she wasn’t the one who had drawn the short end of the stick here. He didn’t blame Lucindier for the incident that had torn his family apart, not anymore at least, but he couldn’t just pretend that it never happened.

“Pleasure’s all mine.” He said in as warm a tone as he could muster given the circumstances. Adrien doubted the feeble attempt to comfort her would accomplish much, it had never been his strongest suite. “I only wish the circumstances weren’t so dire.”

“Thetuna?” Lucindier’s voice grumbled in Adrien’s head, his tone bringing to mind hot coals crackling. “We aren’t exactly on the greatest of terms kid, don’t get too comfortable with this one.”

It made sense to be fair. Fire and crops don’t exactly go hand in hand, but Adrien had to wonder if this distaste for one another went beyond the physical elements they represented. Lucindier could be an acquired taste after all…

At this point the upper-class woman began to speak again and Adrien paid rapt attention, intrigued to find out the identity of the celestial he and Lucindier had been pursuing, both for his personal interest and a more useful ability set to break out of these cells. Unless Thetuna could be used to pick a lock with a carrot or something.

She introduced herself with a title just as pompous as she looked, ‘Perdita Monceaux’ . He’d heard of the Monceaux family before and knew that they came from a long line of deep pockets, pockets that he was fairly sure his father’s enterprise had tried to pilfer on more than one occasion. Best not to mention that either, telling people you were a born and bred criminal didn’t often lead to a trusting and prosperous partnership.

“Not that cursed ice witch. Tell her I’m not home Adrien, she’s even worse than her wretched mother.”

“Is there anybody you do get along with?” Adrien replied, exasperated. He could feel his body temperature rising as the celestial became agitated, a fervent itching spreading through the spiderweb of scars running up his arm.

“You live for as long as I have and you make a lot of enemies kid. Just consider yourself lucky that these ones don’t want me dead. Probably.”

“Comforting.”

Responding aloud to Perdita he gave her a grim smirk and shrugged as if their conflicting celestials didn’t bother him. With any luck she bought it.

“Sure seems that way Miss Monceaux.”

A strained voice from the carriage furthest from Adrien introduced itself as Abraham. So it had a name, more man than machine for sure in that case. He waited for the introduction of a celestial to go along with it, but nothing came, and it was clear Abraham was done for now. Still 3 out of 4 wasn’t bad for a half-baked assumption. And there was always a chance that somebody as augmented as this guy would still be of some use, provided he was a little more forthcoming than he had been so far.

“So ice, fire, agriculture and Abe.” Adrien mumbled, thinking aloud. There had to be something in their combined skill set that would get them out of here, even if he had to exhaust every tool in their arsenal to do so. He’d considered using Lucindier to burn his way out of here but he couldn’t risk burning the others to a crisp and the idea of tapping into the celestial’s powers again was frankly terrifying to him.

“Perdita, how’s your handle on Sk- I mean Lady Skarid’s abilities? Seems like you’re our best shot at getting out of here, no offense to the others.” He asked the icy duo, shooting them a weary look through the bars of the cell.​

Another voice had introduced themselves, distorted by machinery as they announced their name. The whirring pitch of the man, now known as Abraham, was coated in steel and metal, leading to Perdita envisioning a male coated in a permanent armour of machinery- a cyborg perhaps?

She listened to Adrien repeat the names of each prisoner trapped within the steel walls, grimacing at his version of her own name.

“Lady Monceaux.” She corrected Adrien, flashing him a look of disgust as she settled into her pained posture, looking down at him. The annunciation of her title was to be perfect, not thrown about as if she were a commoner- like the rest of the souls she shared this prison with.

She was a self-proclaimed snob, and was proud of it. Lady Perdita Monceaux did not strive to be liked by the unfortunate souls that would happen to cross her path, she did not care if she was the focus of vile whispers or spiteful gossip- in fact, she revelled in what people would assume of the young heiress. A snake, a witch, the names went on and on; but her favourite, by far, was The Serpent of Monceaux.

It was quite sad really, as Lady Monceaux may have thrived in the inglorious chatter amongst nobles, but she was very lonely due to it. Alas, this was the price the young woman had to pay in the eyes of nobility, under the careful and diligent watch of her guardians as they groomed and prepped their niece for life as a noble’s wife- as the soul heir to the Monceaux family.

Adrien caught Perdita’s attention once more, asking the question of what her connection was like with her new found Celestial. She had not told the other three that this was all a new concept to her, a nightmare she was very much hoping she would awake from soon; but, she would have just awoken to another nightmare if she were to have gone back a couple oh hours from current events, to the reason why she was here.

‘He is correct, Perdita.’ Skarid announced, her voice much calmer than before. It was as if she had settled into the predicament she had found herself in, almost warmed to the soul she had tethered with. ‘Vines and moss will not break these chains, and heat would only bring pain and injury.’ Perdita could almost hear the Ice Celestial’s mind ticking, thinking of how she would aid these mortals in escape.

Perdita thought for a moment her azure iris’ shifting from left to right as her mind turned like clockwork as she tried to recollect any lesson of science she partook in. She flipped the pages of textbooks and scrolls she was forced to read in her lessons, her brain skimming through scientific practices of hydrogen peroxide, water vapour-

‘Yes, child, keep reading,’ Skarid encouraged Perdita to continue recollecting visions of her past teachings, her voice optimistic and stern. The Celestial could see her memories, paying close attention to the cursive text and ink-drawn images of tables of elements, figures of compounds. IT was quite amazing really, but also very intrusive.

But before Lady Monceaux could delve further into the science of her memory, a thought had struck her. ‘Ductile to brittle transition.’ She began, theorising a plan of action as she sat up straight to begin her lecture, ‘at extremely low temperatures some metals will become brittle enough to break.’

‘Go on.’
Skarid spoke up, interested in what the young girl had to say.

‘If I’m correct, these chains either iron or steel.’ Perdita rolled her wrists slightly, causing the the chains that bound her to floor to rattle against the slight pressure she put on them, testing their durability as she conceited a plan of action. ‘Which means they will have to meet at least minus fifty degrees Celsius to influence their fracture toughness, which will then induce a brittle fracture.’

‘My dear, English,’
Skarid interrupted, her voice echoing in a straight pitch, ‘please.’

Before Perdita could take recognition of the Celestial’s plead, she began to explain that the combination of below freezing temperatures, and enough impact on the chains they will shatter, aiding their escape.

Skarid took note of the plan, directing her focus on the vessel. ‘Its time you learnt how to hone your abilities I have gifted to you.’ She began, conjuring an electrical ball of energy, crafting it with ice and cold as she prepared the young girl for her first lesson. ‘It will be rushed, but you will have the strength to free yourself and another.’

Perdita weighed her options, looking through each of the prisoner’s files in her mind. But before she could conclude on who she would decide to free first, Skarid sent a surge of electric-like energy to course through the girl’s body, causing her to wince in the sharp pain she felt tear through her veins and flesh.

It hurt her, but she resisted that pain and gritted her teeth against the sheer cold she felt. Her hands reached and coiled around the chain that kept her tied to the floor, her fingers lacing between the links of metal as used her strength to constrict the metal. Her mind was sent on freezing temperatures, envisioning a cold landscape incased in snow and ice- it relaxed her as she imagined how cold that must have felt.

Breathe.

The element of ice surged through her inner being, her soul feeling the chill of the icy powers she felt its wintery symphony coil around her mind and body, pricking her fingertips as the chains she held within her grasp began to drop in temperature.

She could feel the cold of the metal, but it didn’t hurt her. The pain of the chill was non-existent, even as the temperature began to drop to the desired degree celsius, which Perdita found incredible. It was as if she had a resistance to the pain that accompanied the cold, she could feel the icy breath of the chill, but it didn’t gnaw at her flesh as she thought it would.

Skarid was back now and edged closer and closer to the forefront of Perdita’s mind, appearing to take the form as some sort of humanoid being. The figure was distorted and her vision was clouded, as if she was not allowed to take int he visual of what may be her celestial.

Before Lady Monceaux could query it, she felt the chain beneath her hands stiffen and lock. Her hypothesis had worked. Perdita lifted herself onto her knees, her toes curled into the floor as she placed her entire body weight onto her legs as she began to pull. She closed her eyes, her brow furrowing as she used every inch of her being to rip the chains from the floor, her fists clenched into tight balls as her biceps curled to aid the force she need to break her bounds.

‘Thats it, child!” Skarid irrupted, a sense of hope shadowing her icy tone as she encouraged the young lady to pull against her restraints. The Celestial sent another surge of energy, coaxing Perdita’s body to absorb the godly power she felt, making her will and strength much stronger than before.

With one final tug at the chains, Perdita felt them crack and break. The metal had shattered now, throwing Perdita forward as the tension was suddenly released.

Her heart thumped against her chest, her breathing was rapid, and her head throbbed. Perdita lay on the floor for a moment, eyes closed and chest burning with adrenalines as she recollected her strength to continue on with her mission. She felt a sharp pain ricochet around her body, stiffening her limbs as it bounced from nerve to nerve to find its final resting place in the centre of Perdita’s icy blue eyes. She recoiled in the unnatural ability of conjuring ice from her fingertips wincing against the pain for a moment before opening her eyes slowly to bask in the creation she had made.

The chains that held her to the floor were broken, shattered into a million pieces as they laid scattered across the floor. They were covered in icy remnants of Perdita’s power, glistening in the oil lamp-light as a thick layer of, what looked like, snow blanketed the metal restraints.

Perdita exhaled a shaky breathe, finding that the air around her had dropped in temperature as the condensation from her lungs expelled into the air In a thick fog.

‘We haven’t got time to sit in awe, child.’ Skarid snapped the dazed girl into reality, sending a small shock into her system to coax her to rise from the floor, ‘we haven’t got time.’

Perdita inhaled sharply, using her hands to push her up off of the floor and onto her feet. The rocking motion of the train unsteadied her balance, forcing the girl to hold herself agains the wall for a moment as a wave on nausea raced through her chest and throat. She felt sick from the pump of adrenaline, her body recovering from the toxins as she recollected her breathing.

‘We have more obstacles to pass, hurry up and compose yourself!’ Scared demanded, taking no care at the current physical state of her vessel, forcing the girl onwards in hopes of escape. ‘The door, you must do the same as you did with the chains, then we must free that large metal man.’

Perdita inhaled and exhaled once more, standing upright and poised as she straightened her back to collect herself. She looked toward the door, noticing the small keyhole that obstructed her exit and took a step closer toward the thick layer of metal. She placed her hands on the chamber, noticing a striking white scar develop from her right hand, tracing it up to her forearm, as far as she could see. She didn’t let it distract her for too long, though, focusing on the task at hand as she began the process of freezing the lock and forcing the door open with her shoulder as the lock shattered.

She was free from her prison, but not free from torment as she felt another surge of sharp pain echo through her bones. She fought against it this time, refusing to let it send her crumbling to floor like it did last time. ‘Child, you must hurry. Stop wining about the pain and continue on.’ The Celestial had no patience for the pain her vessel was in, instead she threw it away as if it were nothing.

Perdita continued on, her posture poised and her transition to walk collected as she walked the narrow hallway of cages and looked in each of them. She saw the prisoners better now, putting a face to their names as she glanced at them quickly. She had no time to study them, however, quickly arriving at Abe’s cell to conduct the next part of her plan.

“Abraham N. Cromwell,” she announced his full name, her voice collected and precise as she looked toward the cyborg bound to the floor, “I have a plan to release you form your cell.” She began, holding her hands together in front of her as she looked down toward him, “In turn, you will need to release the others so we can make some sense of the situation we are in, as well as how we intend to escape it.”

Perdita did not need his consent to her abrupt set of instructions, having already chipped away at the metal lock to his cell and having forced it open with her shoulder. She stumbled slightly, her cheeks glowing red as she felt embarrassed at the sudden faulted in her pristine disposition, quickly straightening back up and rolling her shoulders to resume her perfect stance. “All you need to do is create a force of tension, which shouldn’t be hard for a man which your physique.”

As she began to freeze the chains that held Abraham, she felt much different than opposed to the time before she had conjured her icy ability. This time she felt numb, numb to both pain and thought as her vision faded into black, and then snapped back into focus. Her heart raced faster this time, mimicking the thundering hooves of a Celier as its speed escalated to towering heights. Perdita felt weak as the chains froze over and the temperature around the Lady and the Cyborg plummeted.

The cyborg shrugged at Adrien's suggestion to that noblewoman, no way in his mind would nobility sully their hands with something like this. Abraham knew well enough of that bitter illusion known as hope so he allowed himself none as thoughts retreated and refocused on plans of escape. Then suddenly the cracking of chains forced Abe's sore eyes to shoot up as he tried to lean forward to glimpse at the situation. Fruitlessly as the sound evidently came from the furthest container. Perhaps there is something to hope for, maybe they will be able to save themselves.

Nothing to do for now but to wait for his supposed-savior of noble origins. Then her refined voice annunciated his full name, grabbing his attention as eyes meet yellow orbs. She told her plan and he deemed it acceptable although remained silent, knowing that she did not require his consent for the following parts. That little stumble and the brief flash of red on her cheeks made him smirk albeit obfuscated by his leathery garment.

The mutilated man waited patiently for the noblewoman to begin the chilling process. At the same time, his thoughts wandered as to how was she capable of this? Genetic abnormality? Subdermal implants? Genetically modified? All the possibilities rang out in his head except for the obvious one. Which caused Víterin to scoff at his persistent denial.

The chill began to crawl from chain to cuff to limb, catching Abe's attention. The aberrant way, the woman breathed told Abe that she had exerted herself past what her current physical condition allowed. A quick turn with his head to gaze at the chains, now adorned with a faint blue coloration. The cyborg balled his fist and tugged swiftly, easily shattering the chain that bound his right arm. Next was his left and after which, he shattered the cuffs on his legs with the cuffs on his wrists. The man rose from the floor and stared at the woman. The mechanized monstrosity simply delivered a silent nod to the weakened woman, signifying his satisfaction and appreciation for her deed. Never let it be said that Abe was an ingrate. He began to walk towards the doorway to his jail. Before he left, a final glance was thrown towards the nobility that had saved him. He disliked debts.

His hooded form meandered towards Almera's door and turned to face it. During Abe's extensive time surviving in the gutters of society and the putrid corners of the alleyways, he learned a thing or two about brawling, for example, never to overextend your punches and kicks. This time, it was called upon to abandon his experience.

He shifted his right foot back a bit then raised his hand around his abdominal area. He began to pull it back, passing his hip. He closed it into a fist. He shot it forward! His hip and shoulder moving simultaneously. Flesh met metal, releasing the signature clang. The surface of the door buckled deeply, leaving a dent that exposed the deadbolt, a fracture not too dissimilar to a lightning bolt could be seen on the face. Another strike and it would be open, yet that door wasn't the only thing that was damaged. When Abe struck the door, the skin on his knuckle, hidden beneath the leathery glove and wiring, broke causing blood to thinly pour out, producing a faded stain as the blood struggled to move through the microscopic pores of the glove. He shook his hand reflexively, it was not the pain but merely reflex that told him to shake his hand.

A realization struck him, the strike that he had just done with his fist was stupid. If he had incapacitated his hand, it would have made Perdita's and his efforts futile. The reason for this thought did not occur to him because of the pain. This is nothing compared to getting sliced up from sternum to navel with a titanium circular saw. Sometimes he wonders whether the nociceptors on certain parts of his body worked at all.

With that in mind, Abe once again shifted his stance, this time moving his left foot back while right forward. His right leg was tucked into his body. Firing it forward, the heel of his right foot drove itself into the indented spot on the door whilst the left supported his body by planting its' heel into the ground. The door swung open, hitting the interior wall, creating a clanking noise if you will.

He moved into the cell door's entrance, pausing briefly. A scene straight out of a horror film, the hooded monster stood tall, the dimly lit cell revealing only the smallest of details. The yellow glow faintly illuminating the ovular metallic rings around his eyes. The occasional light source that the train passed only aided to further sell the eerie appearance of Abe.

When he saw Almera fully, he thought to himself. She's... short? He is practically a giant compared to her and he was averagely tall even amongst the other Laputans/ Laputan patients. A funny little thing that he noticed.

He carried himself over to the shackles that constrained her with slouched shoulders to lessen his frame, something to make him appear small and less threatening. He gripped the chain links that connected to her left hand. "Close your eyes." He advised her in a hushed tone. He began to twist and turn the chain whilst pulling backward. The machinery that is married to his musculature whined and cried from their forced exertion. The chain links snapped open, flying from their original position. He repeated this process three more times except leaving the manacles around her wrists and ankles, Lady Monceaux would have to aid her in that regard. "And with that, you're set free," Abe said, already exhausted somewhat. His exit from Almera's cell was wobbly at best. He even had to prop himself against the wall to catch his breath when he was on his way to Adrien's cell.

His butchered lungs howled for air, precious precious air. In this regard, Víterin thought it would be best to aid him. Slowly, the cosmic wind funneled a small amount of air into the cyborg's lungs. Expediating his recovery process. He really should remember some of those breathing techniques but that's a task for later.

He busted down Adrien's door with kicks again, producing a similar result like before. No theatrics this time around. When he grabbed the shackles, he turned to Adrien's naturally pale face. "You said... your imaginar-y-y friend was the... Lord of Fire? Tell him... to.. put out.. the fire in my lungs." Metaphorically speaking, of course, there was no fire in Abe's lungs yet with the amount of strain that he just put them through, they might as well be on fire.

One short process of breaking shackles later, Abe rested against the wall of the speeding train. "Now... what? We stop the train?" His exhaustion was dissipating with each moment and it wouldn't be too long before he was back in working order.

Last edited:
"Pleasures all mine."

Almera's cheek felt warm as Adrien responded to her, she bowed her head to keep her face hidden and swallowed hard. The young farmer was not used to city folk speaking with her and Adrien's polite response was a welcome surprise for her.

"Hm..." Thetuna hummed with judgement and then scoffed softly. "Lucindier is not pleased with my presence dear...me and him do not exactly have the most peaceful of pasts together..." Almera could sense Thetuna shaking her head with disappointment. "But...the young man seems pleasant enough. Handsome, but his eyes show a dark past..."

Almera wondered how Thetuna could be so perceptive of Adrien when they had not seen him up close yet, or any of the others for that matter.

The cold biting at her skin was becoming unbearable and Almera whimpered softly as another bead of crimson blood trickled down her cheek from her forehead. Instinctively, she tilted back her head and stared up at the ceiling as a wave of dizziness passed through her body.

"
Hold out honey...I think something is happening at the far side...the rich woman." Thetuna spoke softly to Almera as to keep her calm and they both listened to the faint mumbles of Perdita speaking and then the sudden sound of her chains shattering.

Almera gasped at the sound and flinched. She could only hope that the sound was indicative of Perdita's escape and not the appearance of their mystery captors. Although, Almera did not feel hopeful at Perdita's escape, for she was convinced that a sophisticated lady such as her would even cast a single thought towards helping a lower class farm girl escape with her life.

"
It is ingrained in their upbringing darling..." Thetuna tutted with disgust. "You are right to think as you do...the noble woman will not care for your existence...if she could get herself out of here right now, she would do so without a second thought for others."

The sudden sounds of shattered metal and broken down cell doors only increased Almera's anxiety. Her teeth chattered and she shut her eyes tightly at the realisation that their captors would likely be alerted to the sounds of their escape.

The sound that came next sent terror coursing through Almera and pierced her heart, she could hear heavy footsteps approaching her cell door. The sound was mechanical, unfamiliar and intimidating. Almera gasped softly and attempted to scramble backwards away from the cell door at the sound of Abe's intense footsteps; for she had not yet laid eyes on the mechanical and disfigured man yet. Forgetting the chains behind her, Almera gritted her teeth and started to pull on the chains with panic.

Blood mixed with sweat across her forehead as Abe burst open her cell door with a thundering clang.

'A scene straight out of a horror film.'

That indeed it was, particularly for a young farm girl who had not associated with many people outside of her own and had never seen anyone remotely like Abe before.

The figure towered over her and cast an intimidating shadow over the young woman's tiny frame, his leather mask and luminous eye rings caused Almera's breath to catch in her throat. Despite her fears of the other captives causing too much noise in their escape, Almera screamed as Abe's ominous and frightening figure appeared before her. Her body trembled as she tried to scramble away from him, particularly when he started to make his way towards her.

"What IS he?!" Thetuna sounded frightened too, she was clearly distressed by Abe's sudden appearance and the potential for him to cause Almera harm. He wasn't quite human, yet not fully mechanical either. Thetuna was clearly trying to gain some control of the situation, despite her lacking a corporal body. She hushed Almera with haste as she screamed in reaction to Abe's presence.

Almera brought her legs up towards her chin and buried her face into her knees, as to hide away from Abe when he approached her shaking body.

"Close your eyes."

Almera held her breath and screwed her eyes shut tightly at Abe's request. His mechanical and whirring voice took her further by surprise and she gasped softly. His voice reminded her of the tractor she rode on the family farm, the sound of the engine when it first whirred to life. What WAS he? Was he even human?

The sudden release of her chains sent Almera sinking to the floor. She hadn't expected Abe to assist her and the absence of the heavy weight keeping her on the ground made her limbs grow weak. Tilting her head towards him, Almera shakily stared up at Abe. Her eyes were wide and her lips were parted as she stared at him, both in awe and in fear of him.

"Th-Thank you." Almera's voice was timid as Abe began to leave the cell and she doubted he would hear her anxious forgiveness.

It may have sent fear to her heart, but she was released from her cell. Almera was grateful for Abe's assistance as she stared down at the remaining cuffs around her wrists and ankles. She could hear him wrestling with Adrien's cell door as Almera stayed slumped on the floor. She was energetic and fit in everyday life from her consistent hard work ploughing the fields; but this was the first time that she had felt devoid of strength. Almera's limbs ached and she winced as she brought her hand to her forehead and gasped at the feel of the exposed flesh on her forehead from a blow that she could not remember. The wound was making her light headed and the cold was seeping through to her bones now.

"Get up honey...we can do this together. We need to get out of here!" Thetuna's soft tone rang through Almera's ears and somewhat eased her anxiety.

Thetuna was right, as she always was. Almera had to be strong if she was ever to see her family again.

From his cell it wasn’t easy for Adrien to see how their half-cocked plan was going beyond the fact that Perdita had managed to free herself from her bonds. He was sure the temperature had dropped in the carriage as he could see ghostly wisps of condensation floating through the air but with the very embodiment of fire dwelling inside him it was difficult for the young man to feel anything but a comfortable warmth. At least until the celestial got angry.

Regardless, the ice queen was now up and moving about her cell, albeit in a way which indicated the use of her powers had been quite taxing on her body. Actually Adrien was impressed that she’d managed something so fine-tuned considering she was a novice at this kind of thing, not that he had any intention of telling her as much. The door to her cell was up next and he heard it swing open after no small amount of exertion. For a moment a ball of fear dropped into his stomach, what if she just chose to abandon them here to their fates? He wouldn’t put it past her, these inner ring snobs are never the charitable type. But whether it was out of the kindness of her heart or a simple survival instinct she moved over to Abe’s cell and released him with another bout of precise ice magic. Now it was just a waiting game, letting the mechanical man get to work springing the rest of them from their cells.

Almera was up first so Adrien waited patiently in his cell, rhythmically drumming his fingers on the back of his cuffs behind his back, one ear listening intently to the action taking place next door. Sounds like the shy lass was free as well. As the door began to buckle under a few powerful kicks Adrien composed himself best he could, ready for guests.

With a sad metallic whine the door swung open on crooked hinges, hanging awkwardly to one side against the wall. It was the first time he’d actually gotten a real look at what the creature calling itself Abraham looked like and he fought to keep a straight face. It was with regret that he realized he’d felt a cold pang of disgust looking at the disfigured man, a gut reaction he was doing his best to bury. He couldn’t begin to imagine what nightmare he’d fallen into that resulted in such a dramatic reconstruction of his anatomy, but Adrien was willing to bet it was of little fault of his own.

“I’m afraid it’s not exactly our field of expertise.” Adrien replied with a sad smile, grey eyes meeting Abraham’s yellow ones. “But I do owe you one so if we get out of here alive remind me to introduce you to a doctor I know.”

Sinclair was a very talented man but even as the words left Adrien’s lips he wasn’t sure if the doctor would be able to do anything for somebody like Abe. His field of expertise dwelled more on purely biological beings. Owing debts didn’t sit right with the former criminal though so he knew he owed the poor bastard at least an introduction.

Then he was free! Springing to his feet he relished in the freedom of movement he now had, stretching his arms and rubbing the raw spots on his wrists where he’d been shackled. It felt great to be out of those awful restraints and apparently Lucindier agreed.

“Sweet freedom! Come now my boy, let’s get out of this blasted contraption and back onto the streets, no point in lingering here.”

“Agreed. I’d hate to see what these assholes do to people who actually manage to get out of their cells.”

Stepping out into the main hall of the carriage Adrien was surprised to find it almost entirely barren. No storage lockers or mechanisms, just a door at either end. He’d never been in a prisoner transport before, but he’d been expecting more than this, particularly if they were high value prisoners.

“Stopping it makes us easier for us to get off, but it will also alert them to the fact we’ve escaped. Let’s at least see where we are before we make any decisions.” Adrien reasoned, making his way to the closest of the two doors. It had a large circular mechanism keeping it closed, the kind you might see on a bank or vault. After wrestling with it for a moment something slipped and the mechanism began to turn, bitterly cold wind whistling through the widening gap to the outside air.

Bastion was never truly dark, not even at night as it was now. Thousands of artificial lights dotted the oily darkness, a sea of stars that each belonged to the living, breathing machine that was the city. It was by these lights that Adrien was able to distinguish the shapes that blurred past into buildings and tram lines. By the looks of things, they were some way off the ground and travelling over a series of bridges leading toward downtown Gamma. Leaning out of the open door he was just about able to make out dappled moonlight reflecting off the canals far below despite the wind making it difficult to keep his eyes open.

“I hope you’re not thinking what I know you’re thinking kid.” Came the stern voice of a celestial with a real distaste for water.

Adrien didn’t grace his invisible companion with a verbal response, instead the apprehensive smile on his face as he stepped back inside the carriage told Lucindier all that he needed to know. He could feel his core body temperature rise by a few degrees as Lucindier came to terms with the thoroughly unpleasant his vessel was going to subject him to. Although the water would provide them with an excellent chance to escape there was no way Adrien was leaving just yet. These bastards still had his stuff.

“Right.” Began Adrien, using one hand to half-heartedly smooth his now windblown hair. “Looks like we’re in Gamma to me, just crossing over one of the canals now. The good news is we probably don’t have to stop the train to get off it, the bad news is- Abe can you swim?”​

The cyborg propped up against the wall breathed heavily. Apart of him wanted to never do that again but something told the tired man that his work is not finished yet. He contemplated the words that Adrien said to him, about a certain doctor. Bah. He shook his head, no man alive could fix what those demons did to him yet the possibility clawed at his mind, will he be able to recover? VÍterin would normally tell him to keep an open mind but strangely, the cosmic wind celestial was quiet.

Then the rush of cold wind tickled the sixth sense of Abraham, alerting him to a new source of wind. He turned his head to gaze at Adrian who had just unbuckled the exit door to the train cart. You can jump, you'll survive. VÍterin confidently told Abe. Ah, the voice in my head is telling me to end my life, great. Much to Abe's horror and chagrin, he agreed with the celestial although actually attributing his survival chances to his augmentation rather than the force of some other-worldly wind. Adrien returned to this small group to inform them, he asked Abe whether he could swim?!?

"Probably..." Abe paused to take a breath. He got up then shambled over to the end of the cart. Peeking his hooded head out to gaze the starlike lights of Gamma. Oh, what a beautiful sight, he would've once thought. The wind knocked off Abe's hood, revealing the back of his head. Covered by the leathery garment, with glistening screws tightened deeply into skull and spine. The garment around the screws had a spiral look as if it too led into Abe's head.

He returned to the group. The fresh air suited him. A single hand reached over to pull the hood back on, he looked at his cohorts at the moment. "Are you sure about this?" Abe asked them, a hint of worry in his voice. This isn't his first escape escapade but the first one taught him to have your co-conspirators backs plus he could keep an eye on them. "Because if anybody had anything on them then it'll either be in the front of the train or scrapped already." A similar situation happened and he couldn't stand the whining then about how one of the Laputans left his favourite sharped rock or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back