• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic A New Life

24040379.jpg

Quantum machines are actually fascinating and something I do know about. Apparently, there is a technique called quantum linking. Essentially, it creates two instances of one atom, and they both write to the same place in the cosmos. basically like two real-space pointers to the same unit of matter. As such, what happens to one allegedly happens to the other, allowing data transcription at theoretically infinite distance, as the data does not actually travel. It is simply duplicated. Like so. No lag. So, if you consider that, then our future techie people wouldn't even use that much wiring, as they could just lock molecules together across space/time for nearly un-hackable chains of information. But for the sake of RP, we can presume local networks and short-range wires used fiber optics, and quantum links are used for say, lag-less transmission to home base and space wi-fi. Kinda like small roads and freeways. Is that our working model?

And regarding heat, I was simply positing that better links-IE quantum transmission, don't make as much waste heat. IE, if I send energy through a lightbulb filament, nearly all the charge becomes heat/light and bleeds out of the wire. A copper wire, not so much. Gold is even more effective, superconductors, even less bleed-off. True enough the energy has to go someplace, but heat is basically water leaking from pipes. Better pipes leak less.

so, I'd say we could go with a electronics model of predominantly fiber optics standard, with massive networks reaching across space via quantum internet. This would be used for databases, secure com-lines, lag-less uploads, etc. Ancient or poor-quality machines might still use copper or gold wires. The photon would likely be more common than the electron as the carrier particle of choice.

....Does that sound acceptable? shall that be our standard for this?

and regarding the book-yes. Very yes. I have about 9 more in my head, and that's just for that series. I'm writing the second one now. It's a sprawling fantasy series about a world populated by living machines (purely mechanical with a dash of magic, not computerized robots.), but it's otherwise high fantasy. Clockwork kings give edicts from brass cities, Metal wizards cast spells with elaborate devices while mechanized vikings crusade for the sake of a missing goddess and the story goes ever on and on and on.... (^U^)

Optical computation is a field of study about which I also do not know a particularly-large amount, but which does run into a problem: a computer is not just the propagation of a signal. For the propagation of a signal, an optical connection is great (quantum is better... maybe. We don't know yet), because it moves nearly-losslessly at the speed of light. That's why fiber is used for internet connections, and does a wonderful job of it.

But, there simply aren't workable optical transistors yet. You can't actually do anything with your optical data without turning it into electrical data, and those transistors are the problem when it comes to heat, much more so than resistance from the wires that move the data between components. As long as we have thermodynamically irreversible computation, flipping a bit will always have a heat cost.

REGARDLESS, we're getting into very theoretical stuff here, to the point where "technology becomes indistinguishable from magic." Rather than focusing on the how when things reach this level, I like to focus on the results. The results are that we have very fast internal chips, and we are connected to a FTL communication network that works over extreme distances. The transmission of data is not a difficult matter, but the storage, processing, and retrieval of it still is (and, as far as we can tell, always will be). Let this be our standard going forward.

@Mitchs98 4 hours! :P

Last edited by a moderator:
@Mitchs98 Fixer and his approach to dealing to the Life Killer had me in stitches xD . I just imagined him to be very disinterested in the entire ordeal and just lazily kicks the thing and just shoots it a few times with a pistol almost as if he just wanted to say "Pew pew pew" instead xD

Duke the Impossible] [URL="https://www.rpnation.com/profile/24115-mitchs98/ said:
@Mitchs98[/URL] Fixer and his approach to dealing to the Life Killer had me in stitches xD . I just imagined him to be very disinterested in the entire ordeal and just lazily kicks the thing and just shoots it a few times with a pistol almost as if he just wanted to say "Pew pew pew" instead xD
*blank stare* Fixer is female.

Mitchs98 said:
*blank stare* Fixer is female.
It was past midnight and when I'm tired I go to default genders I associate with nicknames xD Fixer is just such a manly nickname in my brain lol

More like the problem I have, too many RP's die, derail or have people that go so fast it turns into a 1x1 instead of a group RP. It gets annoying at some point in time and you just don't feel like putting your energy in things that have a high risk of being a waste of time. (Not implying this RP is a waste of time of course). So I get it that he doesn't feel that interested in the site anymore and I hope he at least will stick around for this RP.

Ey punks.

So, rather than choosing this me-glorious-self, figured it's only kind and fair that y'all get some say. What deadline do we want to give @Gladius before her character... dead lines? Gladius hasn't even checked in a week, so I'm fine with killing Blind off right now.

@Dannan Buddypal, you better get yer butt in gear!

Sounds like Blind got blindsides hahaha xD . Okay, I know where to find the door, I'll let myself out. *leaves the room*

*Dramatic entry* But on the matter at hand! I think Blind could be continued as an NPC or she's given a proper end instead of her just going offline like POOF! (I heard there was a life-killer on the loose *wink* *wink*)

Would be funny if Operator complied to Valkyrie's question if there were any available droids in the hangar by wiping Blind's data and making her a mindless droid which can be controlled xD

what, is it my turn? I was running around like a maniac this past weekend too. Should I be posting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back