• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Where Dreams go to Die (OOC)

welian said:
A magical parasol sounds friggin awesome!!
Oh, it is. The plan is for it to be like a magical, slightly stronger version of the one from Kingsmen: The Secret Service. Deflecting attacks/bullets, shooting silver darts, sharp edges for swinging as a weapon while open or collapse for use as a blunt object with a sharp end. I also put in the magical levitation akin to Marry Poppins. Hold in one hand and up, up and away.

Writer said:
Oh, it is. The plan is for it to be like a magical, slightly stronger version of the one from Kingsmen: The Secret Service. Deflecting attacks/bullets, shooting silver darts, sharp edges for swinging as a weapon while open or collapse for use as a blunt object with a sharp end. I also put in the magical levitation akin to Marry Poppins. Hold in one hand and up, up and away.
giphy.gif

sorry, couldn't resist, heehee.

DaughterofAthena said:
I figured I should at least say hi here... so, "Hi!"
Hello!!

Whew, that character sheet took a bit longer than I anticipated. Glad it's done though.

Hey @welian something to change in the NPC section. I think you missed it when copy/pasting. Kevin Cole's description still has a city name filler in it.

Short and squatty and built more like a stump than a man, Kevin Cole has a serious case of short man syndrome. At only 5'5", Sheriff Cole always has something to prove and has a biting personality to show for it. He's an old dog, but is decorated with an impressive line of awards for his years of service as an officer for the {CITY NAME} police force. He's a ruddy man with thick muscles, and deeply tanned skin. He's never been married, though it's hard to say if that was by personal preference or due to his addiction to his work. Not a very handsome man, Cole's most notable features are his thick, greying mustache and the loveliest set of blueberry coloured eyes.

welian said:
LOL WHOOPS
That's what I'm here for: to point out all your flaws and mistakes. I'm like a psychiatrist, except I do it for free.

Also @Elle Joyner I did not realize that the song is called Geronimo and that the chorus is "Say Geronimo." I always thought they were saying, "Say what you wanna do" or "say what you running from" or something like that whenever I heard it on the radio. Now I feel downright silly.

Oh and when they say "Waterfall," I thought they were saying "of the one I love." Yeah. ( O.o )

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's fixed now. I'm off to bed, please don't destroy anything while I'm gone. In the meantime, feel free to ask lots of questions about the setting and stuff. Tomorrow, I'll be putting up two more NPCs, and my own profile. Hopefully.

Phaesaris said:
Don't worry, I thought the song said that too lol.
Glad I'm not the only one! I feel a bit less silly now.

Here's a list of questions I complied off the top of my head. I'll probably have more.

Questions:

• Will the reason that all these lucid dreamers are in San Jose be connected to the story? Seems like there would be some tie to having a lot of knights all in one location.
  • How public is the insomnia? Has the government made any steps to tackle it? Have medical communities tried to investigate? Has the insomnia resulted in loss of production? Closing of school because teachers can't sleep, government unable to function, etc?
  • Has there been any high profile deaths or disappearances that would create a movement behind fighting what's happening? Presidents, senators, governors, celebrities, etc?
  • How has religions, in particular Christianity, the dominant religion in the US, responded to all this?
  • How worldwide is this phenomenon? Is it hitting the United States harder than other countries?
  • Has this lead to an increase in foreign tensions? People blaming Russia/China for example? Russia/China blaming the US?
  • So dreams are beings/entities? Can Knights enter other's dreams?
  • What does Etherea look like? I'm picturing a bunch of floating wisps and creatures, but is there light? Water? Plants? Solid ground?
  • When someone creates a new dream, does a new wisp appear? If someone dreams a nightmare, does a new nightmare wisp appear? Does the location they appear correspond to the two dreamers' proximity? For example, one neighbor is having a dream, the neighbor next door is having a nightmare.
  • How fast can someone move across Etherea or from dream to dream? Can I instantly go to any dream like teleportation? Or is there some kind of movement to get there? The nightmare king leaving for the edges of Etherea implies some kind of distance or spacial measurement.
  • Is the Nightmare King saying that it's the Sentinel's fault for not stopping the terrors he is sending? Or is the Nightmare King not in control of the terrors?
  • Can a Knight control when they go to sleep? Invoking sleep/dreaming at a moment's notice so they can combat a threat?
  • What's the relation between time in Corporea and the Etherea?
  • How was the Corporea? Does the Sentinel or Nightmare King have any knowledge of that?
  • Is the Sentinel and Nightmare King "immortal"? Have they always been their respective roles? Can they be removed/replaced?
  • Where does the Veil come from? Was it created? Or did it supernaturally manifest with the First Dream?
  • Does a Night Terror look like a normal human? What kind of powers do they have access to in the Corporea?
  • If a Knight's core fractures, can they just fall asleep later and reenter the Etherea?
  • How many Knights are there at the start of our story? Are they loosely organized? Do they have some method of communication in the Coporea?
  • How do Knights find each other in the Etherea?
  • How does a Night Terror invade another victim while in the Corporea? When a night terror takes over someone in the Corporea, do they vanish from the Etherea? Or are they tied to both places?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to make fancy CS like Elle's

But I know I will never be able to

Hate you, Elle <3 <3

Hate BBCodes even more

Lol lyrics are funny sometimes. I'll never not hear 'bathroom on the right' instead of 'bad moon on the rise'

And Jay, you goob... all I coded was the font and colors... I can help with that.

I also have a question, @welian :) Will we have the ability to develop and learn new abilities throughout the RP? Working on my character now, hoping to have him done by the end of the day!

Writer said:
Here's a list of questions I complied off the top of my head. I'll probably have more.
Lord, Writer, I had to put all these answers in a word doc!

Yes, there is in-universe justification for San Jose being the center of this – the main antagonist has been lurking around there, and he is influencing the Terrors. Thus, the Sentinel is recruiting lots of new Knights from the area.

Right now, the insomnia is getting about the same media coverage as the flu. The media is more focused on the influx of missing people, and the two aren’t totally linked yet. But yes, medical communities are investigating. So far, the insomnia has not significantly impacted daily functions of society. However, there’s been a measurable increase in car crashed from dozing off at the wheel. Basically, the general public attitude is “Haha, yeah, everyone’s been sleeping like shit lately. It must be something in the air.” Obviously, it’s more serious to people who are actually suffering.

High profile casualties… I’d say it’s reasonable to assume there’s been about a half dozen disappearances featured on the news over the past month, you know how once a pretty white girl disappears, the media goes apeshit. But none of them were politicians, yet. One of the disappearances is probably a veteran – since these monsters are attracted to fear and sadness, they tend to go for those suffering from PTSD and depression. Again, not everyone has figured out that the disappearances are tied to the insomnia, since “oh no, I can’t sleep” tends not to be taken that seriously anyways…

I would not be surprised if some Christian leaders, especially the more fundamentalist ones, believe this to be the work of devils and demons, and that this is all proof of America’s spiritual decline, God is abandoning us, etc.

So far, this is not worldwide. There has been extra activity in other major population centers, but so far the other Knights have not yet had to go into emergency mode like the ones living in/visiting San Jose.

There are absolutely people who believe that pollution from China is being blown over the Pacific and is poisoning the good American people of San Jose and that’s why no one can sleep.

There are two types of dreams – dreams as a person, and dreams as a place. I need to update the Settings thread, but I’ll explain it here. Everyone has a dreamscape. From Etherea, these look a bit like snowglobes. Touching one will pull you into that dreamscape and into that person’s dream. A dream as an entity – capitalized, so a Dream – is a conglomeration of multiple, similar dreams. For example, the Dream of Love (one of the NPCs) is not someone’s particular dream, but millions of dreams about love that have pulled together and become a unique entity. Humans, dreamers, can often be seen roaming throughout Etherea as a ghost, while their subconscious attempts to locate or construct the next dreamscape. That’s why sometimes your dreams at night change suddenly, or appear to be non sequitor events.

Etherea does actually look like a world, with plants and animals and water and ground. That’s the part of the settings that I have to update. There are about eight major regions of Etherea that I’ve outlined, two of which are headquarters for the Knights.

Yes, a new wisp appears with a brand new dream, the same for a nightmare. The location they appear in does not correspond to real world location, it corresponds to dreamscape. A nightmare that takes place in the sky would most likely show up in the Aerie.

Moving from dream to dream is not instantaneous. It’s like swimming through water, there is some resistance as the dream you are entering tries to figure out who you are, and place you accordingly within the dream. Etherea yields to the strongest of two wills or visions, so Knights will have an easier time trekking through Etherea than a normal human.

The Nightmare King is not in control of the Terrors. See, Terrors eat dreamers. If you eat a dreamer, they no longer dream. If they no longer dream, the dream they were dreaming no longer exists. Neither the King nor the Sentinel want dreamers to stop dreaming.

Can a Knight…. Sure, why not? It probably comes with the whole dream knight thing anyways. Though, for real world fights, you’ll have to pull a Superman and find a safe place to transform.

Time does have an impact on Etherea, as Etherea is built by mortals who experience time. The stronger a Dream or Nightmare is, the less time matters to them, as there are lots of humans dreaming about the same thing throughout history. Knights have come and gone, and there are trends in dreams and dreamscapes – many Dreams and Nightmares will be able to comment on parts of human history, depending on what trends they recall seeing. Nightmares, especially – not a lot of people have pleasant dreams about 9/11 or school shootings.

The King and the Sentinel know about Corporea. In fact, they both often ask the Knights questions about their lives – partly out of concern for the Knights, and partly out of personal interest. The Sentinel is especially inquisitive, because unlike the King, she is unable to leave Etherea.

They are not immortal. They are very close to immortal, but they can be destroyed and replaced.

The Veil manifested with the First Dream, a representation of the natural barriers between sleeping and waking. However, the Sentinel is not the First Dream. The rest is spoilers.

Night Terrors look like beasts! Well, in their true form. Some of the smart ones can change what they look like. The Knights use symbolism of materials, but the Terrors are based off of animal symbolism and dream interpretations. That’s why every Dream and Nightmare has some sort of animal or creature motif.

When a Core fractures, the Knight will be forced to wake up. Depending on the severity of the damage taken, it could be as simple as “Drink some tea and try to fall back asleep in an hour”, or it could be “Holy shit you’re alive, I have not seen you in Etherea for ten years.” Sometimes, when a Knight undergoes a traumatic experience and loses his or her dream, their Core disintegrates. When they’ve found a new dream, a new purpose in life, a brand new Core will reform, with new powers and everything.

I don’t have a particular number of a Knights in mind… Historically, it’s been a somewhat small group for a worldwide organization. But, it’s gotten larger – you need more Knights to protect more people, after all. Knights are instructed to not tell the world that Etherea exists. That alone makes it a bit difficult to find other Knights, and so they’ve not been particularly organized as a result. However, technology has changed communication – I can picture it right now, a secret website just like in Durarara, a forum for Knights, and you have to get the password from another Knight in Etherea. Yup. That is totally canon now. Thank you.

“Hey man, are you a Knight or a Dream?” “I’m a Knight, bro.” “Sweet.” On second thought, maybe the Sentinel gives her Knights some sort of emblem to carry around. Yeah, that should probably be a thing. The Sentinel loves flowers, so…. A lotus. Yeah, a lotus. We’ll go with a lotus emblem.

Ooh, mechanics! Okay! When a Terror eats someone’s core, that dreamer will disappear from Etherea. Cores are very magical, you see. It lets you exist in both worlds, like an inner anchor. So if a Terror eats your core, you lose the ability to enter Etherea…. And the Terror cans the ability to exist in both worlds. Which is bad.

Can I go eat breakfast now?

Thank you for spending so much time answering these questions

Now you have my permission to go eat breakfast

You are welcomed

TURKEY AND CHEESE SANDWICH, HERE I - oh, nvm, mom is cooking in the kitchen. Guess I'm eating bread for breakfast.

Just finished writing out my form - now all I have to do is wait, and maybe actually do the uni work I should be doing. The nerve-wracking tension, oh my!

DJ MagicHat] [URL="https://www.rpnation.com/profile/6154-kharmin/ said:
@Kharmin[/URL] A kindred spirit? Your character will be similar to mine in some way, shape, or form?
We have the same predilections when it comes to nightmares and eradicating them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back