Other What ruined a character for you?

Coca-Cola

My name is Charlie what's yours
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I'll go first,
Emberlynn (helluva boss): The fandom shipping her with Blitz

The fans mischaracterizing Sephiroth mostly trying to redeem him with his past and given what he did in the original Final Fantasy 7 game and crisis core. Yeah, he can’t be redeemed he’s too far gone to be good

When they changed Luke Skywalker into a leftist weirdo.

When they made all the stormtroopers clones and then later not clones?

When James Earl Jones played Darth Vader through the hole damn Star Wars Series, and when they took off the mask, the face of Darth Vader was a white actor? Because Luke was white, he couldn't have James Earl Jones as his dad? Because he was black?

When they showed John's face.
They made John Spartan one one seven gay, yet he has a thing or relationship or partnership with a female AI.

In Star Trek they talk about Commander Data wanting to be more human, and they decide to change that so it never happens and instead puts him against his evil brother.

what ruins characters is mostly dependant on the potential for that character being squandered just because the writer/s were too incompetent to realize what they could have had instead of what they chose.

one character that stuck out to me in this sense was Isaak Sirko. such a demanding presence on screen and he got a great death but i felt like he was ultimately let down from what he could've been.

I was significantly disappointed in how Asuna's character was handled in SAO. She was originally set up as a very well-written female protag! But then the 'romance' plotline with Kirito just... turned her 180* into a dependent, flat, character. All complexity was taken away and she was hollowed out. Makes me really sad to see.

I was significantly disappointed in how Asuna's character was handled in SAO. She was originally set up as a very well-written female protag! But then the 'romance' plotline with Kirito just... turned her 180* into a dependent, flat, character. All complexity was taken away and she was hollowed out. Makes me really sad to see.
Lol!

I liked the sword art online, and the dot hack video games better then the SOA anime for that very reason.

Also I hated how boring SAO is in the beginning. Nothing like the games. If you ask people who the main character is, you get people saying it's Alice. Because both Crunchyroll and adult swim starts there on season three. The the storyline was its own thing, and tes season one and two introduce one character as brave, and then the romance comes and he becomes a coward? Then there is another character who is the administrator and is monitoring the SAO world, and then he just gives up and gives everything her learned to the first elected official, who ends up in the next season, season 3, abusing that authority by making knights and locking people into slavery by not allowing them to log out.

Last edited:
Not a specific character (I don't want to go into that atm). but some things that I hate to see and are often the culprit in messing up characters I like.

Too many characters when it isn't a 200-300 episode series.

Also the dumbing down or tropification of characters that started out with depth and potential. Having one trait either the writers or fans notice/like a lot and playing it up to 11 from then on.

Making a series less unique and reducing risk so that it is more marketable.

These issues often run side by side.

Most of the time, it's shipping that ruins characters for me (sometimes content and fandoms as a whole). There are the cases where incompetent writing is responsible as well (I'm looking at you, RWBY) and/or corporate meddling (The Legend of Korra would've been better without it). Then, sometimes, a character like Luther Hargreeves comes along and I don't know exactly why, but I just hate them to my very core and it's absolute misery when they're the focus.

I was reading a manwha, and it was going fine. However, at some point, they included non-con. I have no issue with non-con at all being in a story, but it just DID NOT fit in this plot. It's like they threw it in there with no real reason. It was already full of red flags, but where the relationship was and how it was going - it was just... out of character!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back