What region do you base your games in (and why)?

What region do you base your games in?

• The Blessed Isle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The East

• The South

• The West

• The North

• Alternate Plane (Underworld, Yu-Shan, etc)

• Other

• Total voters
I prefer the East because I like the way Nexus, Great Forks, and Lookshy are set up.

And I like mild weather and trees and stuff...

I generally run games in the east and branching down into the south-east.  Occasionally the game leads to the south.  That being said, my players travel a bit and about the only place in creation my players haven't gone to is the western isles.  They've been just about everywhere else, though, with the exceptions of Autocthonia and the deep wyld beyond the boundries of creation.

The East, it is easier to players to adjust to a Native American/European model, as that is what the USA is, than the other regions.

Interestingly, I've always seen the North as the more "European" region, and the East as more Asiatic.

-S

*nods* same here.  I tend to run a lot of the north with a slavic, nordic or scandanavian feel to it.  Generally a mix of the above along with some other European influences.   Some areas I run as more of an Inuit and such feel.

I run the East differently depending on where in the East it is, it can be anything from african to asian to european or south and/or north american.

The south I run usually as a middle eastern theme, and sometimes a mixture of african and middle eastern.

The west... I've not really run any games in the west, if I did they'd be probably a mixture of carribean and any other primarily sea-going societies/peoples I could think of.

Harbourhead rules.  What better place to set a story, civil war, greedy terrestrials desperate for Jade and Batlle cattle running the show.   :lol:

I've only run in the North thus far, but I think I picked a weird part of it, as my game's based in Cherak.  The bastard House Ferem appealed to me... as did the proximity of various Deathlords & shadowlands (Abyssals amuse me in intensely personal ways).  Also, one could easily get away with having a cadre of NPCs show up who look exactly like Type O Negative.

Oh, and for serious: conformity is the new non-conformity.  And vice versa. YEEEAH, BOYEEEEEEEE.

I must add, though: DYING DYING DYING to run/ play an Autochtonian game.  The Realm of Brass and Shadow wins for style, novelty, and emulation of Soviet agit-prop.

why Claslat' date=' Forn?[/quote']
I can compare Claslat to the cityscape of the classic film, Bladerunner, with its garish views and bleak landscape.  This would help me to set up the backdrop easier for both myself and my players, making it more visual for all involved.

~FC.

Yeah, Ridley Scott knew what the fuck he was doing when he hired the art director for that flick, eh?  Gorgeous stuff.

The last game I was running was based in the Southeast, about a hundred miles outside of Jades, headed toward Rathess.  My group had found a powerful manse and cache of first-age weaponry that was mostly non-functional, but they were going to repair it and form an army of mortals, spirits and Exalts in order to march on Thorns and destroy Juggernaut with a first age weapon repaired for the purpose.  One of the characters was from Thorns before it fell to the Mask of Winters.  It was an epic storyline that would take them all over creation to find various bits of lore and artifacts necessary to repair the weapon and take on the Deathlord...  Chances of success were small, prices to be paid all along the epic quest were high and some of the players lost characters to various traps, logic puzzles and enemies.  It was great fun, and we campaigned for over a year on a weekly basis, still only getting about halfway to our goal before the group broke up - for various reasons.  Still, everyone had a great time and if I can get a new circle together, I might like to either run the game again or pick up where we left off - I still have all the characters.  I wouldn't run the game where we left off, however, unless I had experienced players, but I think I'd like to play someone else's story for a while before putting all the work into developing my own again.  Still, I find the southeast to be the most fun for me.   :)

I voted for west even though I have done games in every direction. The west is just a personal real life preference, I like the sea and the themes associated with it. Mysterious deeps, giant monsters lurking there, sunken cities...

Safim said:
I voted for west even though I have done games in every direction. The west is just a personal real life preference, I like the sea and the themes associated with it. Mysterious deeps, giant monsters lurking there, sunken cities...
I have yet to set a story in the west but I'm slowly hoping to get my players around to a pirate swashbuckling type of setting.  Should be a blast.

~FC.

You have to persuade your players to drink lots of rum and kill people?! Lucky you, I need to persuade mine to stop with it...

I'm Running a kinda long drawn out game with djalan pride that's set in the East. Well not just the East but that's mainly where it's been, He made a character and I created a campaign to suit his goals.  The East just seemed a pretty good jumping off point to start the whole deal. Not much bronze faction meddling plenty of spirits and animals to study etc.

I play in the east to avoid annoyances caused by traveling.

I know that sounds like a cheesy reason, but I generally don't like "extra" (tedious) calculations in games, or having to constantly impose what can seem like superficial traveling difficulties the party.

Lines such as:  "You fail your resistance check and suffer from severe frostbite on the hands and feet."

"You don't have enough food and fresh water to sail that far."

and

"You must find water within 24 hours or you will surely die of thirst."

are noticeably absent from most games.

While these can serve as a fun and developmental intermittent challenge, making your party deal with this crap on a constant basis just annoying, but of course you want to maintain the "reality" of the game setting, so you can't just ignore it.

I just make my characters travel widely to maintain the freshness of the setting and deal with extra envirnomental challenges.

Dereis said:
While these can serve as a fun and developmental intermittent challenge, making your party deal with this crap on a constant basis just annoying, but of course you want to maintain the "reality" of the game setting, so you can't just ignore it.
I played in a Deadlands: Hell on Earth game where this was about 90% of it. It was a lot of fun, actually, getting into the internecine politics of resource distribution. Of course, that's an entirely different setting, with an entirely different feel.

-S

Safim said:
Speaking of sunken cities: any good suggestions how to get non-lunars/water aspects under water? I've considered a variety of first age submarines, but it doesn't have the right ring to it, I think. But on the other hand, I like to do things as low-magic as possible, so a mechanical means is prefered. Maybe a sea god giving them some sort of air-tight sphere...?

Ormseitr said:
Safim said:
Speaking of sunken cities: any good suggestions how to get non-lunars/water aspects under water? I've considered a variety of first age submarines, but it doesn't have the right ring to it, I think. But on the other hand, I like to do things as low-magic as possible, so a mechanical means is prefered. Maybe a sea god giving them some sort of air-tight sphere...?
I once used the brass leviathan to transport them. Just say he is following some ancient programming, but I would use that only once, it gets old fast.

Sea gods are always a good bet and you can always steal various ideas from literature. plants which let you breath under water while chewing on them for example or special abilities from under water dewllers who help. Hearthstones. And if you want to go for the really low tech mechanical thing you can always bring in the mad thaumaturge and his "100% fool proof" diving globe (note, fool proof does not always mean waterproof muhahahhahaha).

Safim said:
And if you want to go for the really low tech mechanical thing you can always bring in the mad thaumaturge and his "100% fool proof" diving globe (note, fool proof does not always mean waterproof muhahahhahaha).
That was a good one. I will have to use that sometime.

I'm running a game in the west with a couple of teen half demon pirates and their motley crew. It's been pretty lowkey until now, but I have let a minion of the Deathlords hire them to pilot the bone behemoth and retrive the solar shards. They know nothing of what they are doing, of course and chaotic nature and inability to do anything right is why only half the solar essences are captured.

The only thing I miss is getting them down to the jade prison with the behemoth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back