Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dark Wizard

🔥
Administrator
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hey all,

So we've been pretty excited for a while here now as a staff and as a community as a whole because of the new RpN apps that we launched. However there have been some complications on Tapatalk's end of things (Tapatalk being the free app we used before the RpN apps and as well the name of the company who lets us use the Tapatalk framework for a monthly fee in our RpN apps).

So as explained previously, we pay for the right to use the framework and rebrand it as RpN and publish to either the Apple app store or Android play store respectively. This has however lead to a few complications that have now allowed us to realize why other large sites around the world have been removing tapatalk, I mean to us the regular (None RpN version) have been gone to us for a long time until recent updates this past year and a half where they destroyed the UI, and after much feedback from our users actually encouraged us to pay them so we can get the much cleaner premium versions out as an RpN app.

However for the past few weeks, all of our tickets to help address clear and visible critical bugs have gone unanswered, features like push notifications are iffy at best.

But then you might ask "Its okay Wizard, why not just allow us to return to using the regular Tapatalk App". Good question!

The answer is simple, the regular tapatalk app apart from being a diseasterous UI nightmare since its made for dishing out adds and multiple sites, not tailored to any one forum(which is normally not our problem, we allowed Tapatalk for a long time), it has the downside of the fact that they've been making hundreds if not more dollars a month from us by serving ads to Tapatalk users even though I had explicitly turned that off in the Tapatalk control panel a long time ago(Over a year and a half ago) and apart from the fact that they've been making money from us with out permission, they are a huge security hazard and don't work with any of the features that make RpN....well RpN, I mean its not a secret that they've been hacked various times and have had their databases stored, luckly that never seems to have effected us but we can't risk it with the major lack of support for either free tapatalk or the build your own program which is basically tapatalk premium.

So unfortunately until we find a replacement or finish our actual own app(which I'm working on, will be in alpha by xmas most likely, will use any tapatalk alternatives that exist in the mean time if we find any, which will be a seperate announcement) users will have to deal with the site's mobile version which got a few more enchantments and tweaks from us today to at least try to soften the impact of this announcement.

If you have any questions or concerns please do let us know below.

Oh, I almost forgot, to make matters worse, We tried to discontinue payments to them for the premium program that lets us have our own Apps, and the freaking thing throws an invalid error, had to terminate it by force on Paypal's end.

Though it's unfortunate tapatalk won't work for RpN, we've faith Dwiz will set up a working alternative. ^_^

Better to let it go than hang onto a bad system.

However, I'd like to thank Dwiz for his continuing efforts with the RpN app, and hope other users will do the same. This setback is unfortunate, sure - but we'll get there.

It honestly could be worse. Thanks for working so hard on this, Dark Wizard- it's great to know that you truly do care and are working on it.

Well, hope you all find something that will work eventually. Just as well we don't get endangered with companies too shifty to be trusted.

So I'm a bit confused.. So both the new RpN app and the tapatalk app are discontinued, basically?

RubyRose said:
It honestly could be worse. Thanks for working so hard on this, Dark Wizard- it's great to know that you truly do care and are working on it.

Its really disapointing honestly, anyone who knows me knows that I was so excited about such an accomplishment, I've been geeking out for weeks. "Omg, I see RpN on my phone as a gorgeous icon and so do other users!"

The worst part is that Tapatalk can't even be trusted for their free version any more either, we just can't. We have no control over how they store passwords from our board on their servers and what they do with it.

Myla said:
So I'm a bit confused.. So both the new RpN app and the tapatalk app are discontinued, basically?
Yes.

The RpN apps used the tapatalk premium program as a base, something they call "The Build Your Own App" program.

That stinks,all of the trouble Tapatalk gave you.You guys already have enough stress!I love using the mobile website over the app/Tapatalk,so it's no problem to me.I hope other members will be understanding :) .

What really makes this stupid is how much work was put into RPNation's own Tapatalk app, only for pretty much all of the effort to have gone down the drain. This WAS supposed to be a long term thing.

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]Thanks :) .
Its really disapointing honestly, anyone who knows me knows that I was so excited about such an accomplishment, I've been geeking out for weeks. "Omg, I see RpN on my phone as a gorgeous icon and so do other users!"

The worst part is that Tapatalk can't even be trusted for their free version any more either, we just can't. We have no control over how they store passwords from our board on their servers and what they do with it.

Yes.

The RpN apps used the tapatalk premium program as a base, something they call "The Build Your Own App" program.

[/QUOTE]
Alright, thank you for clearing my confusion. :)

Ignitedstar said:
What really makes this stupid is how much work was put into RPNation's own Tapatalk app, only for pretty much all of the effort to have gone down the drain. This WAS supposed to be a long term thing.
:( ......Indeed.

Honestly?

I always just use the mobile version anyway.

Tapatalk confused the hell out of me and the new app, while the server was incredibly fast, just had too many problems.

I guess it isn't fair of me to say this because I never really used the apps, but I would rather it be this way.

Works out the bugs, tighten security.

Whatever advantages an app might have over the mobile site, which isn't too far from the actual site, it isn't worth getting hacked or anything like that.

Besides, I know that Dwiz has been incredibly excited about the app since it's began development, so I know that the apps will be back up in working order as fast as humanly possible.

I'm sorry to hear this, I understand that the app has been something everyone been looking forward to and it's a shame it didn't work out, although I think you've made a good (and much safer!) choice by distancing away from taptalk and any hazards they pose. Personally I find the mobile site to be very efficient and prefer it to the taptalk app anyways, however I'm both happy and excited that you've got future plans already on the way ^^.

Okay, that really sucks. But hopefully with the new app everything will go smoothly! The only thing in updating the mobile site is I have to click on my side panels multiple times for them to actually show up, otherwise it's all just blank

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]Oh, I almost forgot, to make matters worse, We tried to discontinue payments to them for the premium program that lets us have our own Apps, and the freaking thing throws an invalid error, had to terminate it by force on Paypal's end.

[/QUOTE]
Read the title, thought, "Son of bitch.."

Read the thread, thinking, "Those sons of bitches.."

Kinda sucks but when you think about it it's more like motivation to do better. Something I doubt you'll fail to do.

That's too bad. I just downloaded the app xD But hearing the problem that it caused you, it's better off this way. Hope thinks will work out for you and the new app ^^ *thumbsup*

@The Dark Wizard

Quick issue if you haven't found it already. The pop out panel on mobile no longer scrolls with the page. If you open it from the bottom of the page you have to manually scroll back up. Not a major issue but certainly a pain on threads with rather long pages.

Atom said:
@The Dark Wizard
Quick issue if you haven't found it already. The pop out panel on mobile no longer scrolls with the page. If you open it from the bottom of the page you have to manually scroll back up. Not a major issue but certainly a pain on threads with rather long pages.
Trying to replicate that on my phone, take it to the questions and support forum and if I can't fix it instantly, I'll move it to the dev zone to work on.

Atom said:
@The Dark Wizard
Both pop out panels are like this, including the one where you tap on your picture. Like you said it's a small problem, but can be inconvenient.

BradG said:
Is there any alternative apps to it or just the online site
[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]So unfortunately until we find a replacement or finish our actual own app(which I'm working on, will be in alpha by xmas most likely, will use any tapatalk alternatives that exist in the mean time if we find any, which will be a seperate announcement) users will have to deal with the site's mobile version which got a few more enchantments and tweaks from us today to at least try to soften the impact of this announcement.

[/QUOTE]

That moment when u hate taptalk and just download rpn app a day ago and this happens. OH MY AREN'T I LUCKY!

Wait y'all do know of there is an rpn app in the app store <_<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back