Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sidereal

• Dragon-Blooded

• Total voters

MaHaSuchi's700

Seducing them all, one Celestial at a time
Hi all. In potentially my first foray in PbP storytelling, I am strongly considering a game in the First Age's Time of Cascading Years along the storytelling premise of Outworld, as described in Exalted Second Edition. Players in this game will either be Celestials or Dragon-Blooded (no Infernals or Abyssals, sorry) created largely using errata'd Dreams of the First Age character generation rules, albeit with my own personal modifications. This game will large utilize the Exalted 2.5 system as altered by the Scroll of Errata.

Caveats:

Before expressing interest, please consider the following:

- Character generation will involve additional restrictions well and beyond those described in the Core and Scroll of Errata. These limitations will be in place to ensure the creation of what I believe to be "realistic" characters.

- There will be defined limitations on the distribution of Attributes, Abilities, and Charms. Do not expect to get away with beginning with lopsided characters (ie. 15 Melee Charms and 10 Resistance Charms from a total of 30 Charms). I will accept no characters into the game like this. In game, expect similar, but lessened restrictions regarding character progression.

- Be ready to be questioned on any and every mechanical facet of your character during character creation. By nature, the mechanics are there to represent your character's - take this to heart when designing your character. If your character is a powerful swordswoman but lacks any dots in Martial Arts, Dodge or Resistance, I will not hesitate to question your reasoning on this and request you to redistribute them).

- Backgrounds, specifically Artifacts and Manses, will be severely curtailed. Character generation will either require Backgrounds representative of your character in Creation before the Time of Cascading Years, or you will begin with far less to represent only what you have on you at the beginning of the game. Artifact and Manse selection will require my approval, and Artifacts or Manses of 4-5 dots may end up being disallowed all together.

- Backgrounds may and will change at times in the game, including PCs' Artifacts and Manses. I will retain similar power when these change, and players may voice their opinions on what would they believe to be fitting given the circumstances for their character. Above all, the rule of cool will prevail in these scenarios.

- Any and all content in the Exalted literature may be subject to my review and, if need be, changed to fit my paradigm or removed entirely. Mechanical xamples include - effects improving values strictly not limited by dice caps (ie. Ordained Talon of Draconic Fury, Demon Ink Tattoos), effects that significantly reduce the duration of actions (ie. Gem of Perfect Mobility). You will receive notice of this if and when it occurs, but my decisions will be largely inviolate.

- Canon literature will be largely followed to develop the background setting - you may use Dreams: Land of Creation to guide you regarding history, places, and events before the Time of Cascading Years with relative impunity. I make no promises as to what will or will not be present in the game, and minor tweaking may occur where I deem it necessary to fulfill this story.

- Wow me. Exalted is an epic storytelling system, and the Time of Cascading Years represents an epic period within the First Age during which Creation has become fundamentally broken. Your character should be suitably epic. Do not expect an invitation if you cannot submit a character that lives and breathes strife, despair, pain, hardship, conviction, and triumph in some way or another.

- Details are glorious. The less information you provide me with, the less I have to work with to create an interesting story - ergo, the less inclined I am to offer you a spot. This does not mean that you should write me a 15-page backstory complete with individual backstories for each one of your manservants (who may or may not end up present anyways). However, if your backstory is shallow, expect a similarly-shallow and dismissive response from me.

In Conclusion:

I will not be accepting full character submissions at this time - anything more than an offering of interest and a collection of potential character types will be ignored. I have not yet determined the relative strength I want characters to be at nor a concise list of my restrictions for character generation - if you wish to avoid future difficulty for character generation, do not settle on a specific "build" or a set distribution of dots.

Please answer the poll with your most preferred character type, while listing it along with your secondary, tertiary, and so-on choices in your interest post. If you like, you may present multiple character options if and when I begin to accept applications - this may or may not increase your chances for being accepted.

EDITS:

To clarify - when I speak about "realism," I mean as to what one would reasonably expect from a character during the specific time period in question (the First Age at the culmination of the Thousand Struggles Era). In my view, there are no barbarians with Socialize 0 (who arguably would have Socialize 1 or at least a specialty for their own society), just as there are no Exalted Meleeists who have never had to fight with their fists. Stats should display a character's capabilities - not only what you plan to use.

Additionally, I should mention the tone and style of this game. Expect fantastic, chaotic setting changes, and a setting that can change on you at a whim. The Time of Cascading Years was a period of utterly shattered causality - this is why I described it as within the vein of an Outworld game described in Ex2E. Expect a near-equal balance of combat, social interaction, and puzzles. Expect to be harried be unearthly foes, confounded by social circumstances completely different from the Age your characters are used to, and problems that define rhyme or reason - but most importantly, expect to rise above it all as Exalts should.

Part 2:

There will be no restrictions on caste or Exalt type distribution, though it would be nice to get one of each type if possible.

Character progression will be BP-based. All characters will progress with the same costs, with slight alterations to fit Exalt type specialties (e.g. Sidereals purchasing TMA/CMA on the cheap side).

Alright, as mentioned before you have my interest. First choice Solar, Second Lunar, Third Sidereal.

Interested, yep I am. I have A curiosity-killed-the-cat type Sidereal Secrets concept that could be fun, or the Serenity Matchmaker... hmm... uh otherwise Waning Moon Lunar Spy/Assassin (Demon/Fae hunter?) concepts

Primary: Sidereal Secrets (Demon Huntering Seeress/Prophet, secrets holder, who seeks a better future and is too curious for her own good) or the Matchmaking Serenity who just wants to pair everyone up. (She's not good at it likely)

Secondary: Lunar (A... multi-tailed fox trickster spy master/assassin)

Third: None

It would be cool if we get to fight Prince Laashe but probably not going to happen. This could be interesting but what kind of exalt level we will be playing the beginner exalts or a little older? It could change some basic concepts. Probably a Lunar for a change, it's one of the rare times, when you can play one of the many castes that don't exist anymore in the second age.

Reasonable creation limitations! So interested. Lunar is highest on my list, though their current charm set is not so shiny compared to other things. Secondary: Solar, Tertiary: No preference

Goddamnbatman said:
It would be cool if we get to fight Prince Laashe but probably not going to happen. This could be interesting but what kind of exalt level we will be playing the beginner exalts or a little older? It could change some basic concepts. Probably a Lunar for a change, it's one of the rare times, when you can play one of the many castes that don't exist anymore in the second age.
Starting or Influential Celestials, I've yet to decide. Dragon-Blooded will always be one age tier above the Celestials.

Interested in this. Looking at a DB (Air, Water, Wood). Maybe a Solar.

Not familiar at all with the First Age setting/rules, but will look into things if selected.

solyrflair said:
Interested in this. Looking at a DB (Air, Water, Wood). Maybe a Solar.
Not familiar at all with the First Age setting/rules, but will look into things if selected.
No problem. If you would like any help with the material, don't hesitate to ask. I don't know how you feel about filesharing, but you can easily find the Dreams literature in pdf format out on the web as well.

I think I have the books, just never perused them. Or I skimmed them to look at pictures, but couldn't really say for sure what they contain.

No problem. If I may, then, the single most important section for you to read would be pages 16-18 of Dreams: Lands of Creation.

That section details both the Thousand Struggles Era, which led to the Time of Cascading Years, as well as the ToCY itself. The canon information on the ToCY should serve as a reference to what it actually was, but specifics may change as I deem fit (for example - you will definitely meet up as a group during this time, though none of your characters might remember it when causality is restored).

The 16 pages before that would be a good reference in preparation, while the history posted thereafter in the first Chapter is largely unnecessary for this game. Specific sections within each later Chapter may or may not be used, so you can avoid it for the most part.

Tentatively interested. Twilight Solar for my first pick, Sidereal for my second and indifferent for my third.

I am interested. Also, what will the expected posting rate be? It's harder for me to sustain high posting rates during the middle of the week, but I can easily churn out several posts during the end of the week (or week-ends proper).

My favorite picks:

1°) Solar

2°) Dragon-Blooded

3°) Sidereal

I tend to play sorcerers (most specifically summoners), and not overly specialize otherwise.

I am extremely interested in this.

1.) Zenith with an iron will and considers himself the future vox populi.

2.) A Half moon Lunar tactician who prizes his bond mate sounds fun.

3.) A Chosen of Secrets who makes sure the left hand of the powers that be keep their silence.

Color me interested. With bright, florescent, primary colors and kaleidoscopic paisley patterns forming delicate chiaroscuros and thundering expressions of fleeting dreams, both of the day and nightmare variety. So yes. I'd like to play.

My preferences:

1. Solar - an Eclipse diplomat shaper of nations is my first thought, but I have a number of ideas that could fit in here.

2. Dragon-Blooded - again, I have different ideas, but my first impulse is a Wood Aspected bard type.

3. Anything else that might be desired to round out the group. I am amenable to playing anything that is needed by the game.

I look forward to this!

Yes, I'm interested.

My choices are:

Dragon-blooded wondering Majestrate

2. Lunar beuracrate

3. Dragon-blooded soldier.

The last is not so much as the first two, largely, as I suspect there will be plenty of other folks wanting to fill this role. I can be more specific if needed.

vanman. Your first concept sounds very interesting. The combination of that with just about any Dragon-blooded support figure would be fun.

Thank you, Sightless. I find it doubly intriguing because of what is going on in the world. What would a shaper of nations do in a time of utter chaos and madness? I do agree that that character, with a DB support, would be really fun to play. Here's hoping!

I find your concept of a DB magistrate interesting, though would the Solars give a DB this sort of power in this time period? If so, that must say something about that DB.

Note - a good portion of this game will occur through solo vignettes. While you will meet up as a whole, and in small groups, do not count on others. Characters need to be self-sufficient. Character ties are welcome, but absolutely unnecessary. The plot will force your characters together due to the fractured nature of Creation at some point, whether they like it or not. :P

Is that a chat system, solo vignettes. I mean?

If so, then I'd have to decline, my screen-reader can't work with chat systems. I can work with forum based like here, and all, but not any of the newer chat programs.

I believe, but correct me if I am wrong, that the solo bits would still be on the forums, just that we would end up in separate threads or something like that.

Pretty sure it's forum indeed. He simply meant Solo vignettes, as in solo adventures for a little while. Because remember during the time of cascading years, every exalt ended up in their own little world. Some were in their own little world for a thousand years, others it lasted only an afternoon and did something important to bring back creation together. From an outside perspective, it lasted 217 years.

Feantari and GoddamnBatman have it right, Sightless. There'll be times where each character has their own thread (particularly at the beginning), and times when I put two or more players into the same thread.

GBat mentions a particularly important and noteworthy fact about the Time of Cascading Years. Each and every Exalt who survived the time remembered being part of their own world that was, canonically, devoid of any other Exalt. I will manipulate this slightly for my own purposes - when and if every player character survives the Time, they will not remember any other Exalt they encountered, mainly an effect of the interaction between the Great Curse, one's Shard, and the fractured nature of causality during the Time.

Thanks for the correction. I should note, that I don't actually own any of the "Dreams" books, but given what I could find online, I most correct my selections.

I'd like to play a Sidereal, chosen of endings, that's the majestrate.

A no moon lunar healer

or a dragon-blooded of wood that serves as as an administrator of some kind.

Yeah, I just read about the Time of Cascading years. Looks to pretty much be a solo period mostly. You might start out in groups only to jump into a strange world. Then, after a time, if you live, you pop back to where you started from.

I am not exactly sure how there were refugees from the "dream world" that came back with you, but apparently it happened.

[dice]113[/dice]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back