The Skylands of Novahlis

This is highly impressive, and I'm already really excited and inspired by the opening post. Fair's fair, you say you got heavy inspiration from BioShock, but the world is so well thought out and intricate that it just inspires so many ideas; congratulations, you've hooked yourself an admiring RPer already.

That said, I wish you would give us a little more freedom to explore the world and come up with subplots, ect. Whilst I trust from the detail of everything else that you know what you're doing with the plot and that it will be exciting and entertaining, it's a little saddening in my opinion to see all of those class ideas that could span so many different characters limited to only five people and a single plot. In my eyes, this is the kind of RP that just screams out for tons of players intermingling in their ideas, plots and characters, held together by your central plotline. But it's your RP and I respect that.

Therefore, may I reserve a spot? And also inquire to what extent our other characters, should we create more than one, would be given free rein to develop individually? I would be up for possibly playing the girl character you want, but at the moment am keeping my horizons clear and not making a final choice. Once again, congratulations on creating such an interesting and intricate world.

Hey there, SkyGinge! (ironically good name, btw) I'm glad you're interested in my RP! And to be more fair, I really used a few different worlds to inspire me to make this one, but I still chose to go my own way with the main aspects. But yes, you may reserve a spot!

As to all you said about the freedom to explore and the amount of spots available, I can tell you that I have thought about this quite a bit, and while I would love for the world to be as expansive as that with many characters and subplots, I fear it would die like so many others... In my experience, less players makes it easier to keep an RP afloat, and keeping the exploration of the Skylands limited to one area is my way of testing people. If they can't handle reaching the end of a chapter in a single space (which isn't exactly small, btw; but more on that in a bit), then how am I supposed to believe they can handle a much larger, free-forming world?

This is my first official (community) RP, and there's a reason for that. I don't want to put in a ton of effort into crafting such a dynamic world if people are just gonna disappear before the end. That said, I may be willing to compromise. My plans for this series of castle islands revolving around the girl in the castle is something similar to the old Prince of Persia games -- or more closely, the 2008 reboot. A remote area with several sections to explore.

My idea for this is something of an experiment to test the idea of what the entire world might have to offer. Plunk a few of the key class roles into the same area and gauge what they're all about, while at the same time creating moments, bonds, and history between them, before throwing open the gates to the rest of the world and chucking them into it. In other words, this would just be the prologue to the story. A place to test out its style, inner-workings, weapons and gadgets, etc. After we get to far enough, It's highly likely that I'll start moving things forward and past the limited area. That goes for expanding the amount of players, too.

In regards to the extent of other characters besides your initial; I don't think I'll allow anything to take form outside of the given area, as I want the story's focus to be on the adventure at the castle islands for now, saving the rest of the world for later, should this much do well enough.

Anyway, sorry for the short novel I made you in order to explain this. I hope you understand and still want to play. :)

Hi, your Roleplay looks really fascinating and I am interested in joining it. However, I am a little busy at the moment so is it possible for me to reserve a spot first? Also, this is my first time RP-ing and I hope you do not mind. Thank you.

Yeah! I'll put you down for a reservation. Just keep in mind that I can't keep your spot empty forever, so if someone else ends up coming along after a fair amount of time, I'm afraid I'll have to give it up. Otherwise, you're more than welcome! :smile 2:

Yup, those are all understandable points and whilst I still feel unchanged, I can see where you're coming from. I am still interested too, so don't worry xD I'll begin considering my character/s, and bid you good luck! (And apparently this didn't send last night :( )

Lol, that's alright, Sky. Also, I was just in the middle of editing my last reply to you. After thinking it over, I figured it would be best to increase the amount of players a bit to allow a larger variety of character. In regards to the setting, a better way of looking why I'm doing this would be to put yourself in the shoes of the girl in the castle. I want the narrative to be about her situation, and how she has never set foot outside the area. I'd like to have the players relate to her character in the same way, without being able to discover too much of the outside world too fast. That's the kind of narrative I'm trying to establish for the first part of the story, and I don't want to chance taking away from that.

You can rest assured, though. If this much does well and we make it to the end of the chapter (which shouldn't be too long, anyway), I will expand the universe of the Skylands. 
Also, to all who might be creating more than one character: feel free to create characters that live on the castle islands, if you so desire. I'm sure you'd like your main to be one of the classes I listed in the introduction, but if not/you also want to expand your horizons and play as side characters that will be indigenous to the area, you're more than welcome. Just keep it within the theme of the area. It's made up of a large island at the center with a massive castle, which is then surrounded by several other islands, ranging from big to small. Those islands will also consist of smaller buildings such as estates, markets, and jungles/forests with wildlife.

My point being -- if you want to create something I didn't mention in the introduction, go right ahead. As long as it's reasonable and within the theme of the area, anyway. For some examples, you can create a hunter, merchant, castle guard or town knight, etc. Be creative~

Just one more final question; if we have more than one character, can they both have occupations like pirates, thieves, ECT? And can more than one RPer have the same occupation (I'd imagine this is a yes, but better to check first)? Cheers!

Yes, of course. Although I would hope that not everyone ends up playing under the same occupation, lol.

Hurrah! 
Also, something I forgot to mention -- I was considering making the scale of power in this world slightly more devastating than average humans. I'm not talking DBZ crazy, but I imagine the more powerful types, such as assassins, bounty hunters, mercs and government types to be strong enough to send someone skidding or flying through a single layer of wall. Same goes for being able to jump a bit higher than what's ordinary. The top classes are as scary as they are for a reason. But what say you? Think that's more appealing? Or less?

Whatever; it sounds cool to me but is neither a 'YEAH!!!' or a "No, that's dumb." You could actually get away with it though, and put it down to the change in gravity from being sky lands now. :)

Lol, that was actually what I had planned. But I'll wait to hear from the others before finalizing the decision. Personally, I just like having a little something to spice up the combat. Take it to more of an epic scale. It would also make it more compatible with the type of world it is, with gaps of sky between islands and airships, and what not.

This is an amazing idea for an RP! If you don't mind I would also like to reserve a spot here. I just think the whole idea for this is awesome and that it would be a very epic story. The combat idea that you asked about sounds like a really good idea considering the landscape of the world. Anyways just my opinion but I hope to have a character sheet up for you to check either today or tomorrow.

Heya, Kazuto! (cool name, btw) Of course you can reserve a spot, man! I'm glad you find my idea so interesting ^^ I look forward to your character.

He is, yes. Perhaps I should have elaborated on that... Most of the jacks throughout history worked alone, but they occasionally teamed up with one another, as well as others, from time to time. As for Jack, the only times he ever works with someone is when it's a part of the job, if the client so happened to hire more than one person. But even then he's not really "on their side", you know? Just shares a common goal. 
Sure thing, Kazuto!

Right. Okay. So will this RP be starting from a particular point? Or are we going to RP meeting up if we are planning to work with your character?

Depending on what occupation your character has, if they're going to Otanis then they're likely hunting down Jack. The only exceptions would be a pirate, thief, or treasure hunter. And maybe an assassin, if you just want him/her to be in Otanis for a different reason/contract. There will be no "working with him", if you mean it in the sense of teaming up, just to be clear. So I think it would go either way. All players will be participating in the area of Otanis at first, so you could either describe your character heading to the kingdom for whatever reason they are, or you can have them already be there. Choice is yours. Personally, I'll be depicting Jack's arrival as the starting post. Either that, or I'll have the one playing as the girl in the castle (likely Vampirelovee) go first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back