• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Terrorchild: Awakening

Revisit New
2. Revisit - You still haven't told me why you took the Door, and what all this bullshit was for!" you demand, angrily. "The hunters are going to tell damned-near everyone in the country about us!"

"Oh... that," Corrinth says with a mischievous chuckle. "You know, most of my kin don't spend much time getting to know the common races and their societies. To have someone like me drop in to their enchanted wood unannounced, not just with knowledge of the world but a face that fools the unawares, and a pocket full of tricks that's deep enough to make a faerie get vertigo, to boot... I wasn't just a special newcomer. I was their deliverance. The woods just outside this town, and for miles to the east... You would be forgiven for not knowing, given how well they hide themselves, but these woods are quite enchanted - a fae stronghold. And Purrosh is like a cancerous little lump of civilization cutting into it. The fae can only take so much of these intruders' presence, and so they asked me to drive them out. But I'm only one witch, you see, and Diala would've had my head if I had done something so dramatic before now."

You grimace. "But since we killed Diala..."

Corrinth smiles triumphantly. "Hearing that crow you sent for Purrosh yap about Diala's death and your ascendency, and then the next tell of your trip to meet Kulka told me that now was the moment."

"...And you disguised yourself as someone we'd trust so you could get close and take the door," you deduce.

"No," Corrinth says, to your surprise. "I disguised myself as Nytha in hopes that I could join your travels and trick you into doing it for me. I had planned to stir up a little disagreement between you and the circle elder here, but... Well, curiosity got the better of me."

"Curiosity?" Jannava interjects.

Corrinth snickers quietly. "When you told me you didn't want me around on your ride, I thought you might be keeping some bigger secret to share with the gobbie who runs this whole show, something even better than that damned door. And when I checked out your horses and what was in your packs, early this morning, while you slept and dreamed about whatever it is you dream about, I found this locked chest that I just had to get a look inside."

...Oh no.

"How did you get it open!?" you snap. "It was supposed to be locked!"

Corrinth looks at you oddly, nonetheless amused by your outburst. "Like this...?" she answers, imitating the flick of a wand with her empty hand. "Anyway... that was quite a fun little read... not much I could understand inside aside from the mantra at the beginning, but it certainly got my imagination going. I told you I wanted our little circle back, Agranne, and the human part of me does. It longs for company from the world I left behind. But the rest of me wants chaos - it wants to be free from the Eldest's design. She never really had a plan for me - how could she, if I was always doomed to lose my mind? - and I think the only way I have left might be dying, right here and now, before I do anything else to cause a Kingdom-wide witch hunt."

"That might be underway, regardless," you say, hopelessly. "...And besides, we can't escape the Eldest's plan, Corrinth. When we pledged our souls to her, we weren't just marked. You want to know what I dream about? I had a dream, just last night, where I spoke to Ika in the land beyond death."

Corrinth's eyes light up, the dark amusement disappearing as she looks to you eagerly, hopefully, and without any skepticism: "Wh-what did she say?"

"She said that Syrith takes a part of our souls, and gives a part her own in exchange," you say. "She probably knows exactly how you feel, and what you're going through. She probably led you right to that book so you would set this plan into motion. She did the same thing to me, knowing that I would kill Diala and that Embryx would help me. But I still need to know - how does terrorizing Purrosh equate to some great victory for the fae? The Kingdom will send soldiers..."

She snaps herself out of the shock she fell into when you explained the Eldest's presence within both your souls. "...It wasn't about the land, Agranne. It was about the children. The fae grow their numbers in more ways than just cross-breeding, and leading a few thousand fleeing townsfolk into the fae-infested woods with their children in tow is a surefire way more than a good few of them come back off-key."

Jannava looks at you in horror at what Corrinth is suggesting she's done. You look over your shoulder, at the distant, benign-looking trees at the edge of town, and feel a surge of panic for the families that are out there, a sort of fear that you don't often experience, now that dark magic has taken up permanent residence in your mind and heart. You had a hand in all this by bringing that book along for the ride. "Corrinth, we were bringing that book to understand what it did to me, and I suppose, what it did to you. Please... tell me you put it back in the chest where you got it, after you looked at its pages."

Corrinth snickers. "...I can't, sorry. I left it in a cart belonging to a tradesman who was passing through Glaskan Creek this morning. I have no idea where it'll end up."

You feel sick, as if you're about to suffer a brain bleed and be done with this life. Thank to Corrinth, the Kingdom was about to suffer a war with the Lythrefang coven, as well as losing dozens or even hundreds of children to the fae, while a book that drives witches mad is headed to destinations unknown.

1. It's Time to Go - You can't stay here anymore. Syrith is trying to drag you into deeper and deeper conflicts with the world around you and the coven itself, and you're not going to cooperate any longer. "...We're going to find that cleric, get ourselves patched up, and then we're leaving - all of us. I don't care where for, but we can't stay in Turadal any longer. Corrinth, you can lead us there and get yourself patched up, or die here. I really don't give a shit either way."

2. Answer the Call - All of this had to have been orchestrated by the Eldest to set the stage for you. The coven needs you and the Pandemonium Door. It needs a leader who will bring the fae into the coven's service and bring Turadal to its knees. It needs you, Corrinth, Jannava and Embryx to bring about the Eldest's design. "...I think Syrith wants me to use this chaos to our advantage," you say softly. "We'll find that cleric and get fixed up. ...After that, we'll get to work."

Answer the Call New
2. Answer the Call - All of this had to have been orchestrated by the Eldest to set the stage for you. The coven needs you and the Pandemonium Door. It needs a leader who will bring the fae into the coven's service and bring Turadal to its knees. It needs you, Corrinth, Jannava and Embryx to bring about the Eldest's design. "...I think Syrith wants me to use this chaos to our advantage," you say softly. "We'll find that cleric and get fixed up. ...After that, we'll get to work."

You feel a satisfying chill the moment you accept your fate. Yes... This is what the Eldest intended for you, and as long as you trust in her design, everything will eventually be okay. You look to your companions: Jannava can't even believe your choice at first, but as she stares off into space it seems to sink into her that just because your actions are rapidly leaving the realm of ordinary witchcraft and are instead threatening the peace of the entire realm - an ambition that she doesn't share, or even fully understand for that matter - it's perfectly in character for you.

Corrinth, meanwhile, seems awestruck and elated. You wonder for a moment - all those years her mother treated her like she was a blood sister of Syrith herself... a demigod - did it convince her? Did Corrinth imagine herself growing ever stronger, and overthrowing the natural order of the world? Have you just stepped into the role that she once believed herself destined to play? And now that you've implied that she'll be joining you on this path, perhaps you've restored some of the meaning that her life lost when she learned of her failing psyche from Nytha, who abandoned her in that moment as if her collapse was imminent.

Embryx... You'll have to find a way to explain all of this to her. You hope she'll be able to forgive you for saving Corrinth's life after what she's done, but she needs to understand that you've all been walking in the Eldest's eternal shadow for years, now. She can't get cold feet just because you've closed the gap now, and feel her presence in your every thought and action. You walk over to her and take her up in your telekinesis, gently cradling her for a moment as you look at her peaceful expression, free of physical discomfort as she sleeps. You gently brush the dirt off her cheek with your thumb before turning to the others.

"Let's go," you state, and they follow, limping and crying out in pain as they drag their blood-caked bodies toward the gates of town where you hitched your horses.

---
It isn't long, maybe a half hour, before you reach a secluded temple in the woods - the type which predates the villages and served as a waypoint on untold hundreds of travelers' journeys. Outside, a ragtag collection of hunters are gathered around a single distressed rider who, upon seeing and recognizing you, cries out in terror before riding away, sending the young men into a panic. You hardly need to react, after all - your magic is still tied up with keeping Embryx aloft and blissfully asleep. Instead, Corrinth and Jannava take point, the former sending a magical strike straight into the eyes and brain of one unfortunate hunter, killing him instandly, before Jannava's false life reanimates his corpse to chase the others.

All semblance of discipline breaks down as you dismount, gliding to the ground smoothly and continuing in stride up to the front doors of the temple. As you push them in, however, you find that the clerics who would otherwise maintain this place have already fled, perhaps only minutes earlier. A few unrelated travelers - the unfortunate sort who apparently couldn't afford horses, cower from you scan the room and assess the situation. With nothing here to hold your interest, you turn to leave in a growing rage, sparking an enchanted flame into the burgundy drapes that frame the inner windows of the building.

Outside, Corrinth is still on her horse, sick with pain and increasing infection within her body from the terrible wound she was dealt. Likewise, Jannava has only just gingerly dismounted when you reveal the news: the clerics aren't here. News is spreading of what's happened in Purrosh, and what you are.

"We have to get ahead of them," you explain as the reddish glow from the temple windows speaks your anger for you. The church's followers empty into the streets, running in every direction, hopelessly devoid of guidance or protection. "We have to reach some place the hunters haven't gotten to yet - and quickly, unless we can make contact with someone who'll work with us."

"I can... I can help," Corrinth replies, smiling despite her fading strength. Taking a few deep breaths, she whistles in a strangely melodious way, and within seconds, movement form within the trees warns of another fae presence. "Knock nock!" she shouts.

The creature tilts its strangely bestial head. "...Who goes?"

"The goers go, and we are not they," Corrinth replies, slyly.

The creature approaches reluctantly, revealing himself as a faun. "H-have we a need of greetings?"

"We do, we do!" Corrinth says, giggling and rocking in her saddle despite the pain. "I have a calling - Corrinth! - as do we: Agranne, Embryx, Jannava!" she announces, pointing to each of you in succession. "And you?"

The faun shakes his head. "You have need of greetings, I am well as I am."

"But it's your tuuurrrn!" Corrinth whines, kicking her legs a bit like a child having a tantrum.

The faun's mouth opens as if this is some great revelation, and his opinion should be changed instantly: "Yes, yes! I do have a calling, if you will call me: Sox!"

"Sox, my old friend!" Corrinth replies, grinning. "We are awaiting one more so very eagerly, but they've been so rude, and are running late and in the wrong direction. Can you perhaps go to where about his whereabouts is going and bring him about where we are right now?" she asks with a tilt of her head.

The faun bows, theatrically. "It would be my pleasure, my dear friend Corrinth. Who is this missing we?"

"The cleric!" Corrinth says, "the one whose house this is!"

"The one that's on fire?"

Corrinth spreads her arms wide. "Precisely!"

"I do not think for we, but I am of the opinion that he will not be pleased that his abode is burning so!"

You turn and wave your hand, instantly dismissing the enchanted flames you've spread, leaving only smoke behind. Corrinth turns back to Sox and motions at the change: "...And how now?"

---
You step through the open doors into the temple, now fully devoid of life and darkened by the haze of smoke you've left behind, and even that, you gather from the air itself, moving it just as you did the sphere of water, years ago, and send it out the doors to dissipate, leaving nothing but an almost pleasant smell, like a campfire, complete with the mild stinging in your eyes. You set Embryx down on the tile floor and check her breathing once again to ensure that she's still with you before taking a seat in the pews and propping your feet up.

If Corrinth is right - and you have no reason to think that she isn't - the faun will return with the cleric who fled from this place less than an hour ago with the help of his fae friends, and place him right back in this defiled place to do his work. A moment later, Jannava and Corrinth limp into the room and lay down on the pews across from you in a state of exhaustion.

A thought occurs to you: if it's only one cleric, then he likely won't have the pneuma needed to heal everyone here. You remember how the one who helped you, two years ago when you had your lung punctured by an arrow, nearly collapsed after saving just your life. You look over and catch Jannava eyeing you suspiciously. Is she having similar thoughts?

1. Help Corrinth - As much pain as the tiefling must be in right now, and how frightening it must be to persist with an undead heart, Corrinth is closer to death than any of you and needs help first. Jannava's spell will hold up for at least a day, so there's more time to help her. You could even hold on to this cleric and kill him tomorrow after he's done healing everyone!

2. Help Jannava - She never meant to get involved with all this; the least you can do is show her that you value her loyalty more than the insane changeling who caused all this. Plus, if Corrinth's heart stops next, you'll have a necromancer on hand who can restart it until your cleric is feeling ready to help again!

3. Brainwash the Cleric - Why even consider finding another cleric? You begin to realize how useful it would be to have a permanent, full-time healer within your inner circle. Yes, the magic of manipulation wears off over time, but there's four witches here who can reapply the hex - over and over and over! - and keep him nice and loyal like a lapdog!

Help Jannava New
2. Help Jannava - She never meant to get involved with all this; the least you can do is show her that you value her loyalty more than the insane changeling who caused all this. Plus, if Corrinth's heart stops next, you'll have a necromancer on hand who can restart it until your cleric is feeling ready to help again!

"You know, we're going to have to decide on who gets help first," you begin. "...And by that, I mean that I'm going to decide, since each of you would just pick yourselves. And, well, as far as I'm concerned, Jannava should get looked at first. Corrinth, I know you're in a lot of pain, but you're going to tough it out until she's not walking around with a dead heart in her chest - consider it your apology for nearly getting her killed."

Jannava sighs and seems to relax immediately, mouthing thank you. If it's not directed at you, then it's either to the Eldest or to fate in general that you've favored her. Corrinth, however, moans a bit without lifting her head. "I thought my apology was in getting the cleric here. ...What if I don't survive the night?" she asks.

"You will," you reply with undue confidence. "How hard can it be to stitch a heart back together? It's just a muscle... The cleric will probably have a strong enough pneuma to at least get you off of death's doorstep today. That is, if you're actually able to deliver him here."

Corrinth shrugs while clutching herself. "...Great," she mutters. Meanwhile, you rub at your own wounds from the battle, which you were thankfully able to wrap up with bandages Embryx brought along in her horse's pack while you waited for Corrinth to drag herself up onto her saddle. You can guess that you're a fair bit more confident than either of your conscious allies, right now, and with your wounds not bothering you much (especially since you don't even need to walk on your wounded leg if you don't want to), you decide to pay them a kindness. The temple is an uncomfortable, gloomy place to hide, and the autumn chill seems to be worsening by both the day, in general, and the moment in a more literal sense. The residual heat from the fires you kindled is leaving this place, so you decide to do something about it.

You walk around to the sconces on the stone walls, lighting the torches within, one by one, with your finger and a bit of enchanted flame. You then light the candles near the altar, and step back to admire the deep red glow.

...What will become of this place if the coven is victorious? Will Lythrefang act as the clerics and preachers of Syrith, ushering her followers into this hall to pay their tributes to the Eldest? Will those unable to call her "sister" bow their heads in prayer?

If not salvation, what will they seek?

You sit and contemplate these things with a smile as you watch the shadows dance on the walls and ceiling.

After some time waiting, you hear a strange, rhythmic tapping on the door. Wondering if this is some weird fae greeting, you quickly move to the entrance and open it, only to find a crow standing at the threshold, eying you very tiredly. You sigh. "...Yes?"

The crow caws and then gives a message: "Agranne! Purrosh! Attacked by fae! Circle fled! Flying monster! Pyrra!"

You fish around in your pocket for a moment before throwing down some dry corn you keep for instances like these. As the bird pecks at its reward, a few other flap down from the trees to join it. "Hey Corrinth, what's the name of this place, anyway? I need to send word back to Mardenaal... and a few other places."

---
You spend the next hour sending out more birds, to every local town you can think of, informing them of the fae presence in central Turadal, and of their emissary, Corrinth of Tashlaan, with whom you've created an alliance. You tell them of your intent to confront and destroy the combined forces arrayed against Lythrefang, and request they prepare themselves for open rebellion. At last, you send one final message, directly to Kulka, in faraway Thandan:

I am coming with the Door, and an army. Join me if you can. Oppose me if you dare.

As it flutters away into the late afternoon sky, you realize the irony of your actions, having supposedly killed Diala to prevent the coven from falling into war with itself, only for you to threaten one the next day along the very same lines. You smile, however, and compliment the Eldest on her handiwork: thanks to Corrinth's attack on Purrosh, the coven has no choice but to fight against the forces of light in the Kingdom of Turadal, and such a struggle would be impossible if it were also divided against itself. Kulka will therefore have to choose between joining you as an ally, or render herself a traitor to the coven by opposing you.

---
At last, as the sun begins to dim, Sox and a cadre of pixies emerge from the woods, dragging a man who's hogtied and blindfolded. You hear his cries as he's delivered to the temple step. The faun gives a deep, theatrical bow and says, "At last since first is this here man late, he was determined to romp in the wrong direction!"

As the cleric thrashes on the ground in front of you, you quickly compel him to stop screaming out of annoyance, but you quickly find the silence an awkward pause as the faun and his friends await your response...

1. Simple Thanks - You return Sox' bow and offer him a simple thanks: "We thank you, Sox. Corrinth and Jannava will survive, thanks to you."

2. Offer Reward - "...But at last, he has found his way back home," you reply. "And what would you have for your good deed?"

3. Offer the Cleric - You decide to be a bit playful in your response. "Once we're through with our greetings, he'll be without a direction to travel. Perhaps you would enjoy his company, then?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back