• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Tale of Two Survivors { The Last of Us 1x1 with icedthemoon }

Alexander Brennan
Former Seraphite | 19 | Current location ;; North Dakota

He nodded, listening to him. "When you touched it, it didn't hurt so that's good" Alex said. He felt a shiver run down his spine as Nate traced his muscles. He rolled his shoulders trying to stretch a little before he wanted to get up. He slowly sat up, testing his muscles as he did. Alex looked over at Nate. "I won't push it, I know you aren't rushing me" He reassured his friend.

Alex moved to get up, he swayed a little before he managed to regain his balance. "I'm good" He said, before slowly twisting gently side to side to test his wound. Alex grabbed his bow, turning towards a tree and breathed out. He slowly pulled back on the bow. He got it half way drawn before his back twinged. He could feel the soreness from the wound. He let his bow down. "I got half way before I felt the soreness. I guess we'll be eating canned food for a while" Alex said softly, holstering his bow. He wasn't used to not being able to use it. He wasn't the best in hand to hand combat so stealth was the only option for him, to avoid conflicts.

Nathaniel Matthews
Former Firefly | 21 | Current location ;; North Dakota

Muscles were working normally. His body twisted and turned appropriately. Around the wound, everything moved as it should. Until the twinge. Nate narrowed his brows. Let out a breath. That was what he assumed would happen, though he hoped it would be better than that. It was not likely but it could have happened. Oh well, they could work around this.

“Canned food isn’t too bad!” Nate said cheerfully. He picked up his blanket, folded it, and put it back in his pack. Then he rolled up the sleeping bag and attached it to the bottom. “Speaking of which, are you hungry? I’ve got some very exciting canned beans we can share.” He grinned as he wiggled his pack.

Alexander Brennan

Alex sighed, he could've pushed through the pain, but he didn't want to risk anything. "I could've worked through the twinge but I don't want to make it worse" Alex said out loud, looking over at Nate. He hated not being able to use his bow, and he planned on trying it again tomorrow morning. Alex's eyebrows raised as he looked over at Nate.

"Canned beans? Oh boy, count me in" Alex laughed as he put his tunic back on. He really needed to get modern clothes, especially if they were headed back in that direction. Just in case. "Well, canned food isn't as great as deer, at least we won't starve" Alex commented, a smile on his face as he looked at Nate.

Nathaniel Matthews

Nate pulled out the can of beans and pried it open with his hunting knife. He once had a can opener, but that fall down a rather large cliff, and he was not about to go after it. The knife would do until he could find another one. Well, that was what he said years ago, and he had yet to actually find one since. That was how things went sometimes.

He pulled out two spoons from his pack and handed one to Alex. “May I offer you a delectable and satisfying course of the most invigorating beans you have ever tasted?” He scooped out a spoonful and shoved it into his mouth, dramatically taking it in. “Absolutely scrumptious and practically the same as fabulous fresh deer!”

Alexander Brennan

Alex was not a fan of canned foods, but when faced with no other option, it was the right call. He watched Nate pry open the can with his knife. It was interesting to say the least how well adapted he was for not being a fighter. Alex surmised that perhaps these Firefly medics were given more diverse training than the healers in his group.

Alex took the spoon from Nate and laughed. "Oh well thank you, I appreciate the delectable option of canned beans for breakfast" Alex said with a laugh, taking a spoonful out of the can himself. He looked at beans on the spoon before he ate it. "Delicious, it has the same wonderful flavor of deer." Alex laughed. He grabbed another spoonful, he didn't realize how hungry he really was.

Nathaniel Matthews

Nate too took another bite, waving his hand in the air and making sounds of immense satisfaction. “Isn’t it everything you could ever want? What could ever be better than this highly fancy, made to serve can of utterly boring beans?” He slapped his hand down on his leg as he tried not to laugh too hard otherwise he would likely choke on his food. That would be entirely unhelpful in this situation. How could he medic himself back to life if he died? That would certainly be a feat.

“You know what I think?” He asked as he finished the next bite. “When we find the Fireflies and the people who absorbed them, we should have a real meal. I mean one where we don’t ration it out and can gorge ourselves on it instead of having to think about tomorrow.” He loved the idea of a feast. He had never had one, and he never had the opportunity either, but it sounded amazing. “I don’t know if these people will be able to do that, but we should find a way. Because we deserve that. One day of practically fine dining. Or at least I think that’s what my mom called it. People making fancy meals or something. We should have whatever that is.”

Alexander Brennan

Alex had finished his second bite and looked over at Nate. "It's the best thing I've ever had in my entire life. I couldn't imagine anything better" Alex laughed. He sighed, setting his spoon down and his thoughts went to how often he'd had to suffer through canned food meals. Unfortunately, he hadn't actually come across a lot of wildlife on his way when he'd left. His eyes looked over at Nate, tilting his head.

He looked at Nate, curious as to what he was going to say. "A meal without rationing? That's possible?" Alex asked, confused. "Do you think we'll ever find a place like that? It seems like such a fantasy" He said. Fancy meals? Alex had no idea what was considered a fancy meal. Of course, he was raised on farm grown and hunted food, and now he'd lived off canned goods and whatever wildlife he found. He had no ability to create whatever a fancy meal was. Alex looked at him again. "I just want to be somewhere that I don't have to worry about making it to tomorrow, where I can lay my head down and no be concerned about if a clicker or runner will get me in my sleep" Alex admitted, looking down at his hands that were currently in his lap.

Nathaniel Matthews

“Imagine!” Nate began. He set down the can and popped up in between them. His hands started both at his chest, palms out. “We are sitting at one of those long tables with eight chairs around it, and someone else brings us trays of food like the books say. They are full of an abundance of food. Things like deer but also all these vegetables and fruits along with it. And sometimes- oh, it’s crazy, sometimes they would stuff the meat with some of this other food!” He shook his head at the memory of an idea. Because he traveled a lot with his mama, they came across a whole lot of different ways of living. He figured out about this fine dining one, because his mama happened to know a whole lot from the old world, and because he was witness to much of the evidence. From books to pictures left in buildings there was more than enough to show that somehow, this was how people use to live.

“We could have something like that!” he exclaimed, almost giddy at the thought. “I don’t know how, and I don’t know why, but maybe we could find somewhere that can give us something like that.” It seemed like a dream, and that was because it was. It was one of his personal dreams that he had since he was little. He was happy with much in his own life, especially considering what other people didn’t have, but that was one of those things he had a feeling would never go away.

Alexander Brennan

Alex looked at Nate when he'd set the can down. He was focused on watching the man before him, as he began describing this fancy meal thing. Alex could actually picture it in his head and he found himself wanting that. It would certainly be different having so much food that he could eat till he was stuffed. "You seem to know a lot about this stuff" Alex said, shifting himself so he sat with his legs crossed.

"Could we? Where would we find that?" He asked, even though clearly Nate had no idea either. It was dream and like many dreams, it was one that they'd chase. Alex didn't know what would happen in the future, but dreaming about it with Nate was something he'd take. "I uh, I think we should cover at least a little more ground" Alex said, rather softly. He didn't want to move, quite content with staying but they did have a lot of ground to cover to get Nate to his people.

Nathaniel Matthews

A dream, a wish, a desire. Nate had so many of those, and he loved sharing them with others. He wanted to instill a hope in them that made them want those wonderful things just as much as him. If enough people were willing to work for that kind of future, there was no way that it would ever be unattainable for them.

He crouched down in a squat in front of Alex, putting both of his hands out to take his companion’s. “I don’t know that either, but I am going to find it. And since you’re so good at literally everything, maybe I’ll take you with me.” He lifted himself up, taking Alex’s hands, and therefore also Alex’s arms, with him. He let one hand go to swipe up the beans that he abandoned, preparing to actually start moving along again. Part of him was a little sad that they had to stop this to keep going, but the other part knew how important his mission was. Plus, who said they could not dream while walking? They had to entertain themselves somehow when they were not being attacked.

Alexander Brennan

Alex had a few dreams, but he'd long since abandoned them. He sighed, looking at the ground but his attention was drawn to look at Nate. He was crouched in front of Alex. He looked at Nate's hands and smiled, placing his hands in Nates. "Yeah? You'll take me with you to find this dream?" He asked, allowing Nate to bring Alex to his feet with him.

Alex noted that Nate only dropped one of his hands to grab the beans. His other hand still in Nate's which sent butterflies through his stomach and caused his heart to beat faster. He knew they had to move, but he hoped that their conversations and dreaming would not stop anytime soon. Alex had no words, but he grabbed his pack, throwing it on his back with his free hand. "Alright, we should make it to the border today, hopefully by night so we can sneak past the rest of the hunters" Alex said, looking at Nate.

Nathaniel Matthews

In a show of absolute ridiculousness, Nate bent down, careful not to pull on their attached hands too much, and deftly slipped his arm into the strap of the backpack, now careful of the beans, to pull it up along with himself. “We best get a move on then,” he chimed cheerfully. He swiveled around, taking a few energetic steps backward, pulling Alex along with him like he knew where he was going. He didn’t and that was evident by the part where he turned back around the direction he was pretty sure they were heading, to stare at the trees that all looked about the same as the trees from before. With a sigh, he dropped Alex’s hand to bring his own to his hip and shake his head.

“Of course, I would bring you along with me,” he continued like there was no time between Alex’s question. “I think I would get lost getting there without you. And also, I am not sure that I can eat all that food by myself. I would be so sad if I had no one to share it with.”

Alexander Brennan

Alex couldn't help the laugh at Nate trying not to mess with their attached hands and slipping his backpack on. "We should get a move on, in the correct direction" Alex said with a chuckle. "You uh, you turned us around. We just came from that direction" Alex said with a laugh. "it's this way" He added, turning them so they faced the right direction.

"Considering we almost just backtracked? I would say that you'd definitely get lost without me" Alex said with a laugh and a smile on his face. "Oh, I get to help you eat all the food? Sounds good to me" He said, even though he'd noticed that Nate had dropped his hand. Alex didn't say anything but he kind of enjoyed having their hands together. It was grounding almost for Alex, knowing that he was with someone and not going crazy on his own in some woods out in North Dakota.

Nathaniel Matthews

“Well, shoot. That would explain why these trees all look the same. Huh,” He took an extra moment to look back the other direction. “Oh, now I see it. We definitely passed that tree over there,” he pointed to it just in case Alex needed to know which very specific tree, “you know the one that certainly doesn’t look exactly the same as all the other trees. Yes, we most assuredly passed that one already. I should have known this was the wrong direction.”

He spun to face the same direction as Alex and practically leapt to his side, leaning against him as he pointed his arm out in front of him, closing one eye, and following the line of his arm. “Yes, yes, of course, I can most definitely tell how these trees look absolutely nothing like the trees behind us. This is most definitely the correct direction. In fact, if you squint your eyes closed enough, those blurs over there are surely different than the blurs back there. These blurs,” he wrapped an arm around Alex’s shoulder as he gestured forward, “are the blurs of imminent feasting. Canned food is back that way. Big meals are forward.” He barely finished before he laughed at himself. His arm slid across Alex’s shoulders and fell down his arm just for him to quickly grab his companion’s hand and pull him forward like the roles were switched and he was showing Alex where to go.

Alexander Brennan

He listened to Nate as he pointed out a specific tree. He laughed, shaking his head as he listened. "You're learning quickly which pine tree we've passed and which pine tree you've never seen" He said, his eyes twinkling as he chuckled. "Why, do you even need me to point out where we have to go?" He asked with a smile on his face.

He paused for a moment as Nate basically leapt to his side, leaning into him as he pointed, looking where his arm was. "Yes of course, we've never seen those blurs before so clearly we haven't been there yet. I can tell that those trees there lead us right to big meals" Alex said with a laugh. He felt Nate's arm sliding across his shoulders before it fell down his arm and then their hands were connected again. Alex felt himself be pulled forward, and he willingly moved, following beside Nate who apparently knew exactly where they were going now.

Nathaniel Matthews

Nathaniel Matthews, known for getting lost walking down a narrow alley that had nothing but one way out straight ahead, made it a total of fifteen terribly confident seconds full of exclamations such as, “Of course, those blurs lead to big meals. That is exactly what this kind of blur would do!” and “You know, I am very good at directions and have never steered myself or anyone else wrong,” before continuing his confident leading forward to say equally as confidently, “I hope you understand that I have absolutely no idea where I am going, and I need you to point out where to go, because I am irrevocably and unequivocally lost.”

With this last admission, he finally slowed down long enough to put himself back in step with Alex so that they briefly walked side by side. He lowered the energy of his voice, lessened his smile to a much smaller but still equally genuine one, and said, “So maybe you should actually lead?” The question was kind of small as he tried to push away the imminent laugh that was going to break through at any moment. He swung their clasped hands, releasing them as they hit the apex of the swing.

Alexander Brennan

Alex had found the entire conversation completely entertaining. He knew that Nate was lost, but he shook his head and let him talk. If Alex let Nate lead, they'd probably end up in Florida or Maine. The complete opposite side of the country from where they wanted to go. "I know, I've got the way we should be going in my mind. Don't worry" Alex laughed. Yep, what a pair they were, the scarred man who had a basic sense of direction and knew how to read a map and the former Firefly that would get lost in round room.

Alex noticed that Nate finally slowed down so they could be back in step, walking side by side. Alex noticed that his smile was smaller and he shook his head. "I'll make sure we don't get lost" Alex said, looking at Nate who proceeded to swing their hands letting go during the height of the swing itself. Alex wanted to grab that hand again, keep himself grounded as they walked but he shoved that thought away. It should be a rather easy walk today, he couldn't make out any hills or things that they'd have to go around. He did however, know that if he saw buildings they should look for supplies before returning to the safety of the forest.

Nathaniel Matthews

As they moved, Nate pulled his pack forward to work at getting the leftover beans secured instead of hoping that in his goofiness that he did not drop them. It was a sad but very possible outcome if they continue the way they had been. With both hands free now, he attached them both to the straps of his pack, swinging his elbows as he walked.

“Did you know that you are my actual hero?” He scanned the border of the trees for signs of a coming town or city just in case. “This is the real reason we need one of those fancy meals. A hero’s feast! Maybe whenever we find these people, they’ll have one ready for us specifically because you managed to get me there. And I’ll get to join in because I kept you going long enough to do that. A heroic pair. Though, I don’t know how heroic we are if it’s just us.” He thought on this before shaking his head and insisting, “no, definitely not time hero.”

Alexander Brennan

Alex kept his gaze looking ahead of them, though he cast glances beside him as he watched Nate secure their leftover beans in his bag. His eyes scanned the forest, and every now and then he'd feel a small twinge of pain if he moved a little quicker than his back wanted him too.

HIs eyes looked over at Nate as he started talking. Alex felt his cheeks turn scarlet as he heard him. "I'm sure there are better people to be a hero" He said softly. "A hero's feast? I think if anyone is the hero here, it's you. I probably would've kept going with my injury and probably not made it much further." Alex said, rubbing the back of his neck with a small laugh. "We make quite the team though, the monkey man and the medic." Alex laughed a little more, his eyes looking over at Nate.

Nathaniel Matthews

Nate’s laugh was loud and boisterous. He yanked a hand from where it swung with the straps and shoved it over his mouth. If anyone was near, he was going to summon them straight to them with how much he struggled to control himself. Was he always this bad? Surely not. He just struggled to contain himself now, though why he was not sure.

“You are a bit like a monkey, aren’t you? Cute little monkey jumping through the trees and sniping from afar with the arrows.” He raised his shoulders in a shrug. “Maybe monkeys don’t use a bow and arrow very often, but I heard they fling just about anything they can get their hands on, so it seems close enough.” He looked up into the trees trying to envision a monkey. He had never actually seen a real one, but he saw many pictures and heard so many stories. If ever anyone would be like one, Alex was the answer. “I’d join you up in those trees, but I’m sure I would fall right back down on my face. No one wants to see that.”

Alexander Brennan

Alex couldn't help himself as he laughed loudly at Nate's reaction. His eyes looking at his companion as he tried to keep himself quiet. Alex listened to Nate as well as if anything was near but it was hard to tell. He wasn't expecting that reaction to his comment, but he found it rather endearing all the same.

Alex flushed as he heard Nate call him a 'cute little monkey' and turned his head away, cheeks a deep red and hot. He snorted a laugh, listening to him mention that they flung pretty much anything. "This is true, very true." He said with a smile on his face. Alex had heard of monkeys, knew their basics but he'd never seen one up close. His head turned up to the trees, looking at them. Then he turned his attention back to Nate as he talked again. "Oh you can't be that bad at climbing, can you?" Alex asked, his eyes looking at Nate. "Though, I think it might be funny to watch" Alex said with a laugh, looking at him with a wide grin on his face.

Nathaniel Matthews

Nate shook his head fervently. The likelihood of falling was high. Though, this was a conversation about climbing not necessarily about monkeying. “Well, okay, I could probably climb a tree if I tried. I used to do that as a kid all the time. And I feel like I could probably get pretty high prior to the imminent falling to my death, but then if we tried to do anything other than be in the tree, I would probably fall.” He lifted his hands to mime holding onto the tree. “I would be fine firmly planted, and then the second I let go to aim a bow,” he threw his hands together with a large clap. “Splat. That’s me.” He pulled apart his palms and wilted. “Then you would have to pry me off the floor.” He shook his head and shrugged again. “I mean I would assume so. It’s been forever since I did anything like that really. I mean, easily ten years.”

Alexander Brennan

He laughed as he watched Nate shake his head. Alex looked over at him, listening to his saying that he used to climb as a kid. "Why did you stop climbing?" He asked, head tilted in curiosity. "The key is not to go that high, no one's perfect and clearly we all fall. The other thing is you can use the trunk as steadier. Or knots in the branch you're on." Alex said. He couldn't imagine not climbing, it was the best stealth he knew. He heard the large clap from Nate imitating him falling to the ground. "I think you could. In fact, you could use the trees to your advantage. If you can get onto the first one, then you just jump on whoever you're trying to ambush and use your knife" Alex said nonchalantly. He'd done that a handful of times too, it was a little more involved than a bow and arrow, but it worked.

Nathaniel Matthews

Nate thought about that, unsure how to answer alongside someone who seemed so sure about himself. “Um,” he started but the words died there. Why had he stopped? Was there a specific moment or event? Did he just stop? Could he ever do something as cool as using the trees to advantage and get the literal drop on someone? He hated the idea of hurting people. Could he use it for good? Do what he did with that hunter where he snuck up and knocked him out? He really hoped that did not come back to bite him. He hated the idea that he was endangering Alex because he was too soft to end someone’s life. And it was not like that he could not do it. He could. He had.

He dreamed about it.

“I think that you have far more confidence in my abilities than I do,” he finally said. “I don’t know why I stopped. Maybe because we didn’t really stay anywhere long enough for that? Would you believe that with my horrible direction sense, I have traveled all over this continent? It is shocking that I have made it this long.” He looked up into those trees again. “It’s probably because I have stuck firmly to the ground.”

Alexander Brennan

Alex noticed that Nate had started to speak before he stopped. He tilted his head looking over at him, his curiosity in his eyes. Alex wished, in circumstances like this, that he could read minds. He could tell that Nate was thinking, and he had to admit, he was wondering what was on the medic's mind. They fell in silence for a few minutes while they walked. Alex was starting to worry that he'd asked the wrong question. He sighed when Nate finally started talking again.

Alex gave him a look at his first words, then he listened to the rest. "I think you could easily pick it back up. I could help you if you wanted to try it again." Alex said, his head tilted to the side as he talked. "Actually, I do believe that. How often did you stop for the night only to end up turned around?" He asked with a small chuckle. "The ground is nice, but you can't beat the view from a tree, looking out over the world? It's amazing" Alex said, his own gaze shifting to look at the trees around them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back