Sands of Glory

Red Shadow Claws

Six Thousand Club
The Desert Siaka tribe has been around for several hundred years. It's got long established traditions, and a well familiar route as it crosses the desert in the area of Harborhead, and every couple of years they send a small delegate to Harborhead, to trade with the city dwellers.

It has been a year and a half since the last time they have gone to that city, and some supplies are running low. Also, as always, there is an excitment growing among the triibe members, for they have managed to secure some hides and even some firedust to trade within the city.

The party members are all mortals, members of this tribe. All of you have recently come of age, and want to prove yourself worthy as members of the tribe, and wish to secure something that you will be able to trade in the city, to improve your station in the tribe.

Players will start as mortals, and will Exalt during the game. I want to see a short background of your character, as well as what type of exalt you wish to be. This game is open to Dragon Blood Outcastes, Sidereals, Lunars, and Solars.

This game is set in the South.

Hmmmm, a mortal Thaumaturge who has a fascination of the many stories of the Scavenger Lords. He learned Thamaturgy more so to help him fit in, survive, and be worthwhile enough to remain in the tribe. You see, he was always the person that loved to ask questions, had so much energy, never understood the getting drunk or riding wild into the night for what he thought was no good reason. What a waste of time and energy.

Mind you, he learned what he needed to learn when it came to the usual warrior skills, feats of strength and skill, but never much more. He was not a very competitive sort and hated poor winners and poor losers. Not to mention he couldn't stand the egotistic bastards, whether they were tribe members or not. Which in turn led him to learn a little bit of everything, so he was never truly stronger than others in much of anything when they chose to sepcialize, but he always seemed to know a bit about anything and everything. And this usually gave ideas and insights to those that might specialize in that area as he tended to think outside of the box.

In the end he was never truly the scapegoat or least liked one in the tribe. He was all-around useful, knew a few things that only the Shamans had the will to learn, and generally was a good guy to know in personality as well because of his energy and upbeat nature. Although there were plenty of times he was called a grouchy one, usually with some animal in reference that was known for its temperamental nature or mood. In the end most overlooked this as he was respectful to his elders, treated those with respect that had earned it, and was blunt and to the point with his views without being condescending or patronizing, although he was never at a loss for sarcasm as the mood took him.

In the end most call him Ivory Mole Hound, both for his paler than normal skin, and because of his temperament and his ability to get into anything when the mood takes him. His name is Indilas Makeen by birth.

-----------------------------------

At first I thought a Twilight, then possibly a Chosen of Serenity for his love of knowing and experiencing things, and even a No Moon. I am not really sure to be honest. I might like to leave it to you and see where it goes from there, but I know he likes to be part of a family and work towards helping them. So any of them would do I suppose, but Solar and Lunar would give him more freedom while not losing his identity.

This looks interesting, I'd like to register my interest to play, please.

I'd like to play a Solar, and I even have a friend's copy of Terrestrial Directions: The South to hand. I'll post a decent length backgound shortly. I've a couple of years experience of exalted, but this would be my first time for pbp. Hope that's ok? Briefly, my concept is a zenith cast negotiator/preacher.

Q: Are we starting as *mortals* or *heroic mortals*, for statting purposes?

Q: The sourcebook for the south tells me that there are five distinct 'peoples' to the Harbourhead region, does the Desert Siaka tribe belong to any particular one?

Q: Are the tribe worshipers of Ahlat?

Edit: By 'shortly', I of course meant 'later'. Sorry, still knocking ideas around over here. :)

You start as Heroic Mortals. No need to invest in Destiny.

The five 'people' in the South book refer to the natives of that region, your tribe, like many others is a mix of several human groups formed after the Great Contagion, and have no direct relation to the inhabitants of Harborhead.

The tribe pays some homage to Ahlat, as the Southern God of War, but they are not direct worshippers of him, as they have their own patron.

If we wanted our character to exalt as a Lunar, how would the caste fixing and moonsilver tattooing happen? Would we run around as Casteless for awhile until we ran into a Lunar Elder that could hold us down long enough to write on us?

That's probably what might happen, assuming of course your character would choose to undergo the tests, and the tattooing process.

Running Star

Growing up, Star showed a sublime talent for getting into trouble. As a result, he is no longer allowed to cook, engage in sacred rituals or keep snakes as pets without adequate supervision, among some other things. To keep him out of more serious trouble, his parents and the tribe’s elders pushed him to practice the skills that the tribe would look for in a scout. He’s quite good at it all, and he’s taken a great deal of enjoyment out of shadowing people.

He’s recently fallen head over heels in love with, of all people, the daughter of someone important in the tribe. He wants to get something pretty in Harborhead, something that is blue like her eyes and sparkles.

Lunar with a Jack Rabbit spirit shape. Would become a Changing Moon when he gets tattooed.

I'm just crossing the ts and dotting the is for a provisional character sheet and background here. Large party planned on new years, so probably put it up a couple of days after that. Hope that's cool?

Hmmmm, somehow, ironically enough, people seem hesitant about playing mortals... even with a promise of Exaltation

I'd be interested in joining this game. South is probably my favorite Direction and I never got to play an Heroic Mortal protagonist before (mostly because I have to ST all the time). I like this method of starting the game - before the Exaltation, though. I tend to use it quite frequently.

I just noticed this thread, so give me a couple days and I should have at least the skeleton of a background. I'm pretty sure I'm going for a Solar, though.

That's the hard part right now. I am stuck between Twilight and No Moon. I can see this character learning Sorcery, no doubt, but more readily pursuing Thaumaturgy.

I am curious as to how he is perceived before Exaltation, as in what is most fitting. Know what I mean?

I'm very interested, although I'll wait until tomorrow to start looking at a character and I won't have too much time then what with it being New Years Eve and all. Should have something by Sunday.

Coyotekin said:
That's the hard part right now. I am stuck between Twilight and No Moon. I can see this character learning Sorcery, no doubt, but more readily pursuing Thaumaturgy.
I am curious as to how he is perceived before Exaltation, as in what is most fitting. Know what I mean?
Well, among his tribesmen he will be held in some esteem. Thaumaturgy is very useful for Mortals, since Sorcery requires an enligthened Essence, and that is not very common. In fact, Thaumaturgy allows mortals a degree of magic without even resorting to power quests or such in the Wyld, or years of meditation and rites.

But in any case, we can leave that for later, as long as the choice is between those two castes.

Hum, as a new player in the realms of the exalted, I would ask if you have space for a Night Caste Solar? The sort of person who feels more comfortable poking around in the wilds then hanging around with his fellow tribesmen. A dedicated, die hard, hunter type dude? I'm thinking he has brother\father issues as well, his father loved his mother and since, well, she died giving birth to him...

So as he grew up he constantly wanted to prove himself to his father because his brother always got complimented while his achievements were mostly ignored by his dad. That's probably why he started spending a lot of his time out in the wilderness, as out there he did not have to deal with that. Dispite this, he did look up to his brother, who, while not the best sort of person in the world, was not the bad sort either.

So he kind of wants to be mad at his brother, but his brother has always been nice to him so he feels bad about wanting to be mad at him. Now, of course, he is about to exalt, and then gets to deal with the fact that the brother he looked up to (Mostly at least.) is no where near as good as him.

Well, that's what I thought up as was reading this thread at least. If that is not good I am quite willing to come up with a new character idea.

I've roughly drafted my character. Part Gawaine, part Indiana Jones.

Basically a Knight Errant who's part of an order searching for the one true lord of all that is, the rightful ruler of all Existence. The main suspects, from the order's point of view seem to either be Gaia, the Elemental Dragons, the Yozis, the Neverborn or the Unconquered Sun, although there are a couple of hundred less likely possibilities based of regional tales and myths. The idea is that when they find the lord of all Existence, they find out why they've let everything go to shit and try and convince them to do their duty. Also occasionally searching for other secrets of Creation (and pissing of the Chosen of Secrets) whenever they have no urgent leads to follow up.

Character will be a flawed man, in the same vein as Gawaine, who uses his code as something of a lifeline to keep him on the side of right. Will probably spend a background point or two giving him a squire, someone who he has to train to be a knight but feels uncomfortable about because his own moral compass is somewhat shaky.

There's a few different things he might exalt as.

That actually looks like he could be a cool character
Why thank you, really my greatest doubt about this guy is that I am not sure I will be able to appropriately roleplay his issues. I don't have that much experience yet. I assume this means I can probably play in this game?

Also, as to Motivations, how much are gods and elementals going to be used in this game? I have an idea I am tossing around about a Motivation that involves the politics behind summoning, that I picked up while reading about the Cselenite Pacts in the Gods and Elementals book. It would not be his starting one, but once he realizes that his starting, pre exaltation, Motivation is not going to cut it anymore..... Though really, that one is more suited for an eclipse, so maybe I will be that instead? Night cast fits more on the what my character can do side though.

Here is a rough draft of my character sheet, as done in Ed's Mortal Toolkit. Just as a warning, I have not spent a single bonus point yet, so this is most definitely not final.

Name: (Still being determined)
Concept: Hunter

Player: Happerry

Motivation: (Still being determined, thinking something like "Prove myself to the tribe\Win my fathers respect")

Attributes

[ ] Strength-------[X][X][X][ ][ ]

[ ] Dexterity-------[X][X][X][ ][ ]

[ ] Stamina -------[X][X][X][ ][ ]

[ ] Charisma-------[X][X][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Manipulation----[X][X][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Appearance-----[X][X][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Perception------[X][X][X][ ][ ]

[ ] Intelligence-----[X][X][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Wits------------[X][X][ ][ ][ ]

Abilities

[ ] Archery--------[X][X][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Martial Arts----[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Melee----------[X][X][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Thrown--------[X][X][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] War-----------[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Integrity------[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Performance---[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Presence------[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Resistance----[X][X][X][ ][ ]

[X] Survival-------[X][X][X][ ][ ]

[ ] Craft----------[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Investigation--[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Lore----------[X][ ][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Medicine------[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Occult--------[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Athletics------[X][X][X][ ][ ]

[ ] Awareness----[X][X][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Dodge--------[X][X][X][ ][ ]

[ ] Larceny-------[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Stealth--------[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Bureaucracy---[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Linguistics-----[X][X][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Ride-----------[X][X][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Sail-----------[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Socialize------[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Backgrounds

Allies--------------[X][X][ ][ ][ ]

Influence----------[X][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Resources---------[X][X][ ][ ][ ]

-------------------[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

^Thanks, I cribbed (stole) your sheet!

I still need to spend my BP as well, but otherwise I'm done. I'm going to take the oathbound flaw for this vow, which is in an archaic form of Riverspeak:

"neuer to doo outragyousyte nor mordre / and alweyes to flee treason / Also by no meane to be cruel / but to gyue mercy vnto hym that asketh mercy vpon payn of forfeture of their lordship of the High Knigght for euermore / and alweyes to doo virtos ladyes / damoysels / and gentylwymmen socour vpon payne of dethe / Also that no man take noo batails in a wrongful quarel for noo lawe ne for noo worldes goodes."

It basically outlaws murder and treason, commanding mercy when asked, the granting of succor to women, and an oath of only fight for good causes. Yes, I did steal it from the Knights of the Round Table but they are awesome so it's okay. How many points would you say it's worth? I'm not even sure if it should be one big Oathbound flaw or lots of little ones.

Also his Motivation will be similar but increase in scope a lot when he exalts, because it doesn't make sense for an ordinary guy to have some crazy Motivation.

Background:

Bedwyr Mallory, the newest scion of a long line of djhara hunters*. Becoming a djhara hunter for the tribe is supposed to be based on individual merit, but the Mallorys have been djhara hunters for so long that that it is simply assumed that each new son or daughter will be found worthy.

Such entitlement can do strange things to people, and with Bedwyr none of the things it did were good. It nurtured his basest traits and made him someone rather unpleasant to know. Several time he committed offences which saw him being punished severely and by the time he was approaching adulthood exile seemed likely. Only the fact that he was indeed so highly skilled saved him that long.

The turning point came when he slew a woman of the neighbouring Sandstorm tribe. In a fight with a young warrior of the Vulture tribe, about some mundane squabble which deserved no such attention, Bedwyr has a large advantage and planned to toy with his opponent. Cut him. Scar him. Perhaps cripple him, a little. Nothing fatal though. It was the warrior's fiancée who through herself into the mix, intercepting a blow that Bedwyr had planned to pull.

Shocked, Bedwyr staggered off into the desert while his opponent collapsed at the feet of his dead beloved. Wandering nowhere in particular, just stumbling on without sleep, he would have died within days. Instead a Dragonblooded came across him as he was drawing close to the void and doing something which Bedwyr would not have expected, he nursed the southern boy back to life, ignoring his fevered and delirious pleas that he wasn't worth saving.

Over the next couple of months Pietro Venier, the Dragonblooded, forced Bedwyr to accompany him. While carrying on with his mission he wooed Bedwyr from the internal shell he'd been hiding in since the killings, gave wisdom when required and never judged. The quest was a fine one, tracking down various local gods and persuading them to part with secrets they would share of what came before. Bedwyr did little to help Pietro, besides being an unruly travelling companion, but the passion and conviction that he saw in the Dragonblooded struck him deeply.

When it was time for Pietro to go, Bedwyr begged to be accepted into the order and so was knighted. The quest was exciting, yes, but it was the virtuousness of the Lazaraic code that truly touched him.. When he returned to his village, everyone was ready to run him off. It was the new found humility and respect in him that made them stay their hand, and in the few months since then he has proven himself to be a model member of the tribe, falling into his old habits only very briefly when his will and composure slips.

Besides the code itself, the Lazaraic quest does not hold a huge interest to Bedwyr but he still does the best he can. He's travelled to ancient ruins in the salt-plain wasteland, trying to decipher the unique writings found there, and has politely questioned over two dozen local shamans. Now he travels, hoping on his journey he will discover something of worth for the Order but hoping more that he holds to his vows in the strange and wondrous world that is Creation..

*Literally 'Big Beast Hunters' in a peculiar Flametongue dialect that was briefly popular hundreds of years ago. Rather than hunting the normal animals that will help feed the tribe, the djhara hunters fight deadly or dangerous beast which provide valuable trade goods or sorcerous ingredients for shamans. They hunt Ash Devourers, Sandswimmers, Sleepers in the Sand and creatures like that. Sometimes they will even kill Furnace Rhinos.

The Order of Lazaraic Knights

Formed in the early years of the Shogunate, the Lazarus Knights were formed try and find a divine direction for the Dragonblood now that the Incarnae were considered corrupt patrons of the evil anathema. At one point quite widespread and powerful, after the Great Contagion when the Immaculate Order became the state religion of the realm, the Lazaraic Knights have faded in to relative obscurity. Having long forgotten their original mission, they are once again considering the Incarnae as the rightful rulers of all that is.

The headquarters for the Order is in Nexus, as the city is well known for having liberal policies regarding those operating within (assuming you know the right palms to grease).

Code:
Name: Bedwyr Mallory
Concept: Knight Errant
Player: Ligier
Motivation: Stay true to his vows
Archetype: Soldier
Attributes
[ ] Strength--------[X][X][X][ ][ ]
[ ] Dexterity-------[X][X][X][ ][ ]
[ ] Stamina --------[X][X][X][ ][ ]

[ ] Charisma--------[X][X][ ][ ][ ]
[ ] Manipulation----[X][X][ ][ ][ ]
[ ] Appearance------[X][X][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Perception------[X][X][ ][ ][ ]
[ ] Intelligence----[X][X][X][ ][ ]
[ ] Wits------------[X][X][ ][ ][ ]
Abilities
[ ] Archery---------[X][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ] Martial Arts----[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[*]Melee-----------[X][X][X][X][ ]
[ ] Thrown----------[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[X] War-------------[X][X][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Integrity-------[X][X][ ][ ][ ]
[ ] Performance-----[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ] Presence--------[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ] Resistance------[X][X][ ][ ][ ]
[ ] Survival--------[X][ ][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Craft-----------[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ] Investigation---[X][X][ ][ ][ ]
[ ] Lore------------[X][X][ ][ ][ ]
[ ] Medicine--------[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ] Occult----------[X][X][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Athletics-------[X][X][ ][ ][ ]
[ ] Awareness-------[X][X][ ][ ][ ]
[ ] Dodge-----------[X][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ] Larceny---------[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ] Stealth---------[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

[ ] Bureaucracy-----[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ] Linguistics-----[X][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[X] Ride------------[X][X][X][ ][ ]
[ ] Sail------------[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ] Socialize-------[X][ ][ ][ ][ ]
Other
[X] Valour----------[X][X][X][ ][ ]
[ ] Conviction------[X][X][X][ ][ ]
[ ] Compassion------[X][X][ ][ ][ ]
[ ] Temperence------[X][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Essence-------------[X][ ][ ][ ][ ]
Willpower-----------[X][X][X][X][X]
                   [X][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Health
-0------------------[ ]
-1------------------[ ][ ]
-2------------------[ ][ ]
-4------------------[ ]
INC-----------------[ ]
Backgrounds
Henchmen--------------[X][ ][ ][ ][ ]
Backing----------[X][ ][ ][ ][ ]
(Lazaraic Knights of Order and Faith)
Resources---------[X][X][X][ ][ ]
Flaws
??? Oath - ??? point flaw
Ward - 1 points flaw

Just so you know, you forget to edit out the player name when you copied it over from my post. And while I am complemented that you think I am good enough to run two characters, I think it would be better if your name was in the player slot.

Also, you apparently have 2 to 3 favored abilities as a mortal. War and Ride have the X mark, and you have a * in the spot for melee. Is that a reminder that you spent a bonus point in it to get it to four?

I went by the Character Creation rule for Heroic Mortals in Scroll of Heroes. It adds Archetypes, which allow you to have 3 abilities where you get an extra dot. X = Archetype ability, * = Archetype + Favoured ability.

The Desert Siaka tribe has been around for several hundred years. It's got long established traditions, and a well familiar route as it crosses the desert in the area of Harborhead, and every couple of years they send a small delegate to Harborhead, to trade with the city dwellers.
It has been a year and a half since the last time they have gone to that city, and some supplies are running low. Also, as always, there is an excitment growing among the triibe members, for they have managed to secure some hides and even some firedust to trade within the city.

The party members are all mortals, members of this tribe. All of you have recently come of age, and want to prove yourself worthy as members of the tribe, and wish to secure something that you will be able to trade in the city, to improve your station in the tribe.

Players will start as mortals, and will Exalt during the game. I want to see a short background of your character, as well as what type of exalt you wish to be. This game is open to Dragon Blood Outcastes, Sidereals, Lunars, and Solars.

This game is set in the South.
I thought the bolded section was a requirement for all of the submitted characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back