Pokemon: A Bridge Between Two Worlds

Halfway through, just need to put everything into words... But I am sleep/food/heat deprived rn so pardon my slow progress! x)

The Hatter] [URL="https://www.rpnation.com/profile/6496-nessiealways/ said:
@NessieAlways[/URL] Did you have a name in mind for the mountain range on the map, or should we be really creative and call them the Oldooz mountains? Need for CS.
Call them Oldooz Mountains for now!

If I come up with something later on I'll let you know =)

@NessieAlways

Maybe a bit of a weirdly specific question, but how public are gym battles in this world? If it varies from Gym to Gym, then specifically the Talitha Valley Gym. I'm thinking of having my character watch one for part of the sample, so I'm wondering how she'll have to go about doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cenco said:
@NessieAlways
Maybe a bit of a weirdly specific question, but how public are gym battles in this world? If it varies from gym to gym, then specifically the Talitha Valley gym. I'm thinking of having my character watch one for part of the sample, so I'm wondering how she'll have to go about doing that.
I was thinking battles would be a sort of collaboration between the player doing the battle and myself.

Seeing how the battle goes, (how well the person is writing about the battle) I'll determine if the battle is won or lost.

Player: "Pokemon I choose you!"

Me: "Ha do you think your Pokemon will beat mine? We'll see about that. Ladies first."

Player: "Pokemon use fly. "

Me: "Pokemon dodge. You fight poorly. Try again next time."

Player: "Character studies Nessie's pokemon. It's a water type so I better attack with an Electric. Pokemon I choose you!"

Me: "Ha do you think your Pokemon will beat mine? We'll see about that. Ladies first."

Player: "We can take her down Pokemon, just like we did with that other leader! It'll be a piece of cake! Pokemon use shock!"

Me: "What?! But that's impossible! You won!"

Obviously not that short, but I'm not about to write a novel xD

So basically if the collab is interesting and fun to write, the battle is won. If I find it lacking, it'll be lost.

As far as describing a battle, as in your case, it'll be the same as the series.

Pokemon fighting by turns until one is knocked out.

I hope that answers your question...

@NessieAlways

Oh haha, that's really good information to know, so thank you! But I meant is it possible for there to be an audience at a battle? As in, are they open to the public to be spectated, or would my character need to have some sort of special permission from the Leader (Ferna, in this case), for example, to even be allowed to spectate a battle?

Sorry for not being clear on that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cenco said:
@NessieAlways
Oh haha, that's really good information to know, so thank you! But I meant is it possible for there to be an audience at a battle? As in, are they open to the public to be spectated, or would my character need to have some sort of special permission from the Leader (Ferna, in this case), for example, to even be allowed to spectate a battle?

Sorry for not being clear on that!
Oh!

Haha whoops =P

I'm sure there could be several public gym battles!

They could be treated as public events like local bands or sport teams.

You know flyers handed out, publicizing, stuff like that.

It'd be mostly for show purposes, like WWE

Battles to get badges and challenge the gym wouldn't be public though.

Just to let you know, when you added the due date at the bottom of the sign up page, it caused the name Pandoo to shift to be above Kidling. Thought you might like to know that.

Exanis said:
Just to let you know, when you added the due date at the bottom of the sign up page, it caused the name Pandoo to shift to be above Kidling. Thought you might like to know that.
Thanks!

Yeah I noticed that, but I took one look at the code and then said... "Nah... I'll fix it later" xD

Then I got caught up with some stuff, so I haven't been able to fix it yet.

But thanks for pointing it out!

No worries, I get a bit obsessive when it comes to dealing with spaghetti code.

Spaghetti code...

Basically, and this always happened to me before I decided to switch over to manually typing in all my BBcode instead of using the rich text editor, the code just gets completely screwed up when you put in a new set of code, and begins to completely malfunction. The spaghetti code part comes in to play when you look at the real code and see that there are bits and pieces of code strewn about, generally making a good ol' mess of things.

My favorite example of it was when I was looking through some old code and I found repeating cases of unused header captions just sitting there in the middle of the code to close a border of all things. Luckily, it didn't cause problems, but that is what I mean by spaghetti code.

Exanis said:
Basically, and this always happened to me before I decided to switch over to manually typing in all my BBcode instead of using the rich text editor, the code just gets completely screwed up when you put in a new set of code, and begins to completely malfunction. The spaghetti code part comes in to play when you look at the real code and see that there are bits and pieces of code strewn about, generally making a good ol' mess of things.
My favorite example of it was when I was looking through some old code and I found repeating cases of unused header captions just sitting there in the middle of the code to close a border of all things. Luckily, it didn't cause problems, but that is what I mean by spaghetti code.
Ah yes!

I didn't know it went by that name xD

But yeah basically that

It's usually the fonts, italics, and bolds that mess everything up.

That or if you leave one code open =S

Worst thing ever!

NessieAlways said:
Ah yes!
I didn't know it went by that name xD

But yeah basically that

It's usually the fonts, italics, and bolds that mess everything up.

That or if you leave one code open =S

Worst thing ever!
Too true. I found that if I highlighted everything to make it bold or whatever, then went to look at the code itself, when I switched back everything just went to splat.

Never fun.

Exanis said:
Too true. I found that if I highlighted everything to make it bold or whatever, then went to look at the code itself, when I switched back everything just went to splat.
Never fun.
Not at all =S

That's why I try to leave that until the end and do everything individually.

It'll take longer, but I wont have as much problems later

NessieAlways said:
Oh!
Haha whoops =P

I'm sure there could be several public gym battles!

They could be treated as public events like local bands or sport teams.

You know flyers handed out, publicizing, stuff like that.

It'd be mostly for show purposes, like WWE

Battles to get badges and challenge the gym wouldn't be public though.
Awesome, thank you!

NessieAlways said:
Not at all =S
That's why I try to leave that until the end and do everything individually.

It'll take longer, but I wont have as much problems later
I mean, best it takes a little bit longer instead of painstakingly having to go through every bit of code to find that one line that made your end product look like an amalgamation from the depths of the deepest horror books combined with an unhealthy dose of Cthulu.

Can you tell I'm speaking from experience?

Exanis said:
I mean, best it takes a little bit longer instead of painstakingly having to go through every bit of code to find that one line that made your end product look like an amalgamation from the depths of the deepest horror books combined with an unhealthy dose of Cthulu.
Can you tell I'm speaking from experience?
Lmao!

Just a bit

I know exactly what you mean though

I too have gone through those horrors and I've needed several sessions of therapy to recover from the monstrosities I've seen

NessieAlways said:
Lmao!
Just a bit

I know exactly what you mean though

I too have gone through those horrors and I've needed several sessions of therapy to recover from the monstrosities I've seen
*pat pat*

It'll all be okay when the new system comes out. Hopefully. Maybe.

I have no faith whatsoever, mainly because they are getting rid of the single way to check for spaghetti code.

No trust.

Exanis said:
*pat pat*
It'll all be okay when the new system comes out. Hopefully. Maybe.

I have no faith whatsoever, mainly because they are getting rid of the single way to check for spaghetti code.

No trust.
I mean it can't get worse can it?

...on second thought don't answer that xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back