Pirate Rp, Interest check

Ene Kagerou

Member of the Mekakushi Dan
PLEASE GO HERE INSTEAD: http://www.rpnation.com/resources/voyage-of-calypso.929/

"Starting today, you're all my crew, and I am your brilliant captain. Anyone who says otherwise will be shunned and locked in a crate to starve in for an entire month!" The first official words you, and all the rest of these fine people aboard Calypso, the ship your captain and her lieutenant brought you on for, "adventuring." It's not like you had anything better to do. After all, more than half the town you came from was jobless, so you decided to climb aboard with the rest of these people. So you decide to carry on with it and go adventuring anyway! Not that you have a choice anymore anyways, she started giving her speech after you were 20 miles away from shore.

Roles~

Captain- @Ene Kagerou

Most Captains didn't command by an iron fist, they commanded because of skill, daring, and the ability to win prize and booty. In some cases pirate ship elected its Captain through a vote.

First Mate/Quarter master- @Joker

The Quartermaster, depending on the circumstances and the pirare ship was the second in command. His main purpose was to distribute things. He distributed, rations, powder, work, prize, and punishment.

Boatswain/ Bos'n- Open

The boatswain was in charge of a ship's anchors, cordage, colors, deck crew and the ship's boats, and would also be in charge of the rigging while the ship was in dock. The bos'n is often a petty officer. On a sailing ship he might be the thyroid or forth mate. within a pirate crew, if it were large a Bos'n would be right under the quartermaster

Cabin Boy- @Fluorescent

The cabin boy is typically a young boy of privileged birth who is sent to sea to learn the maritime trade. Typically the cabin boy waits upon the officers of the ship. In some instances he may act as the Captain's servant. The cabin boy will run messages and errands for the officers, prepare their uniforms, perhaps even fetches their dinner.

Carpentor- @kirito1337

A ship's carpenter was the man who kept the ship afloat, making necessary repairs, filling holes if need be, and so on. Carpentry was an extremely useful skill onboard ship and good carpenters were highly valued.

Gunner- Open

Gunners were skilled men who aimed the guns on a ship. In some instances a master gunner would give orders to other gunners on how to set their guns during a broadside. It took years of practice to become a good gunner.

Pilot- Open

The pilot was the man who steered the ship. Typically one man would be the master pilot who would work with the navigator and captain to pilot the ship over the water. The pilot needed to know such aspects as the ship's draught (how deep she sat in the water) how wide the ship was and how sharply she could turn. In shallow waters, the crew would take soundings (checking the depth of the water) and it would be up to the pilot to either steer the ship or sometimes stand at the bow and relay orders back to the man at the helm which way to steer the ship.

Musician/Bard- @Pattycakes

Those who could play drums, bagpipes, trumpets, accordions, fiddles, and other instruments were so well liked that they escaped torture if captured by pirates. With entertainment at a premium on most uneventful days at sea, they would be expected to play a jig to dance to, lead a shanty for work tempo, or provide dinner music. Musicians would usually play prior to and during a battle, blaring out martial tunes, nautical favorites, or simple loud noise to inspire the crew.

Doctor- Open

Another highly valued position, surgeons would often be grabbed from crews of captured ships, although they would not be ordinarily be asked to sign the articles. He would be expected to deal with colds, fevers, or other diseases with an assortment of mercurial medicines or other current treatments, and the carnage of battle often required amputations in hopes of saving the wounded.

Cook- Open

More often than not, a cook would be a disabled pirate who was allowed to stay on ship if he could make food that didn't kill crewmembers.

Stowaway- @Darth Pai

Just checking for interests. Rervations for characters are available now!

Last edited by a moderator:
. . . . can I be a stowaway? c: That way I can only appear once in awhile as my character hides. > :D

Hey, guys the RP character signups are open now... When I get home I will post the links

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Can I be the gunner? And as well this will be My first time trying a rp on this site so be easy.

...I notice you have no Master of the Tops... or any riggers at all for that matter (aside, of course, from the Bosun whose only really in charge of it when at dock). Would it be possible to snag that position? Or at least one member of it anyway, since most ships require more than one (and since this is a pirate roleplay I assume we'll be working with a Duch East Indiaman or something similar since that was the favoured ship during the hight of piracy? and those are three masters so they'd totally require a few riggers).

Would that be possible?

If not I'd love to reserve the ships doctor.

I'm sorry this took so long, but here is the link.

[QUOTE="Kiro Akira]Can I be a rival ship? :D Or something like that, I can run the crew no problem just a question o-o

[/QUOTE]
That's an interesting idea. Do you mind me using that idea for the rp? You can captain that crew, but this leaves more room for characters to be made, which is why I want to use the idea. I will credit you, of course, but if you would tell me what you want your crew to be like (Ex: Calypso's Misfit crew), in a pm, it would allow players to know what type of personality they could use for character in this.

[QUOTE="The J]I'd like to reserve a position as the master gunner, please!

[/QUOTE]
Alright, it is reserved!

TechEwok said:
Can I be the gunner? And as well this will be My first time trying a rp on this site so be easy.
Yeah, you can be one of the gunners! Reservation set!

[QUOTE="Renn Skye]...I notice you have no Master of the Tops... or any riggers at all for that matter (aside, of course, from the Bosun whose only really in charge of it when at dock). Would it be possible to snag that position? Or at least one member of it anyway, since most ships require more than one (and since this is a pirate roleplay I assume we'll be working with a Duch East Indiaman or something similar since that was the favoured ship during the hight of piracy? and those are three masters so they'd totally require a few riggers).
Would that be possible?

If not I'd love to reserve the ships doctor.

[/QUOTE]
To be honest, I didn't really know that much about pirate positions until I did research for this rp. The website I got the majority of these positions didn't tell.me anything about riggers, so if you have a good description of it, It should be okay.

Is this right at all?

The Rigger handles the ship when docking and shoving off. Usually he or she unties the ship from the dock when setting sail, and ties the ship to the dock when docking. The rigger will also raise and lower the sail, and may also raise and lower the anchor.

Oh no worries. I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to ships from this time period and the way they were run - both due to personal interest and the fact that my major has a special focus on seafaring at this time period (whee~ history major) so I tend to be a bit dorky and ovelry nerdish when it comes to my knowledge of this. I'm surprised that riggers (or specifically the Master of the Tops) didn't show up on your list when you were looking it up. I was wondering if you googled your positions or what not because some of your terminology and definitions follow the standard of a Navy ship far more than a pirate one (especially in terms of the cabin boy, the carpenter (most pirates were all in charge of keeping up the ships repair - only the Spanish and English navys actually had someone delegated to this task), the use of the term Quartermaster for first mate (a purely Navy term), and the Pilot).

As far as accuracy with riggers... Uhm. Kind of? They're not in charge of docking so much as the actual sailing. It's more along the lines of...

Riggers
are in charge of tending and managing the rigging of a ship. There are usually anywhere between five and twelve riggers on a larger ship, though single masted ships can manage with as little as three. They are in charge of raising, lowering, furling, jibbing/gybing, and luffing the sails (along with every other sail related movement and management), as well as management of all ropes and lines that make up the rigging. Basically a rigger is in charge of maintaining and manipulating the cordage, sails, and spars on a ship.

The Master of the Tops or Master Rigger is in charge of managing the shifts of all other riggers and delegating roles within the rigging. He is usually directly below the First Mate in terms of rank, and on level with the Bosun (Bos'n/Boatswain). He typically both works in the rigging and is in charge of all others who work in the rigging as well. 
...and again, if possible I'd love to reserve both the Master of the Tops and a regular rigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back