• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice [OOC] - To Stand Against the Crimson Tide

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Remember Death of Obsidian Butterflies does not discern friend from foe! If you throw it out while surrounded by allies, well, you probably won't be surrounded by allies anymore. That's certainly one way to solve the problem for future castings of the spell.

True. We'll have to see how the fight goes.

Question: the successes I have banked so far, can I turn them into an effort to disrupt the spell animating the statues? Or would that have to be a fresh roll?

I ask that because I remember that there were foes that were being magically operated that I could disrupt.

They're separate successes for separate purposes, and translating is a bit tricky since you applied effects that granted extra sorcerous motes. If you want, you can retroactively declare you weren't shaping sorcery at all, but attempting to disrupt. You would take the successes on the occult roll and apply them as if disrupting was their original purpose, but you'd lose the motes you'd built up towards casting your spell.

Would I be able to take over control of the statue, it would I just shut it down?

Is the statue the Aurochs made of bronze? If so, disrupting it will require you know where it is. Disrupting it by default will mess with the bindings connecting the elemental to the construct, making it collapse for a few turns, largely taking it out of the fight. Taking control of it is a cool idea, though. It would be much harder, but yes, as a peerless sorcerous genius I think you could likely figure out a way to do it. It would involve breaking the bindings on the elemental and then rebinding the elemental as if you had summoned it yourself, plus other on the fly modifications to the Working.

Ok good to know. Just trying to come up with a workable plan.

Using the Charm Instinct Driven Beast Movement, can I cross the medium distance between me and the auroch? I am picturing a full on ram attack to knock it off its own charge against Sjet.

OOC trying a Withering attack using Instinct-Driven Beast Movement to close the gap for 2m, 5m on my Strength Excellency, and another 2m on Divine Predator Strike.
You're at Medium range from the Aurochs! Instinct Driven Beast Movement grants extra successes on a contested movement action, but it doesn't let you move two range bands. If you have another way to move two range bands, by all means!

Damn. I was really hoping. I'll have to edit my post. What about the stone/earth enhanced guy that crashed Sjet? Can I shift to him instead?

That guy is also at Medium range on the other side of the boulevard! You can certainly hurl some big object at them as an improvised ranged weapon.

Grumble grumble. I'll have to redo my whole post then. Disregard the dice I rolled as I come up with a new plan.

Random Word Random Word
A couple of Questions:
1. Did they notice Thousandfold Wings? If not, she gets some bonuses to her attack.
2. What distance is each group from Droplets?
3. Can I stunt my Familiar's attack as well as my action? (As in get Stunt bonuses to both)

Last edited:
At 4 successes, they do not notice Thousandfold Wings!

The slingers are at Short range on the roof, the temple guard at close in the street with you and the zombies.

Step 4: Assign Specialties. Choose two skills to have a specialty in, and two more that come from your family. It could be Medicine (Battlefield Trauma), Craft (Herbalism), Stealth (Wilderness), or anything else that's a clear specialization of the skill. These matter more to DBs than other characters, so make sure you have specialties in anything you really want your character to be good at.
Okay, I don't know why my brain is deciding to be completely dumb about this 😖 If I want to lean into the Healer aspect, the specialty should be labeled as Medicine, yes?

Okay, I don't know why my brain is deciding to be completely dumb about this 😖 If I want to lean into the Healer aspect, the specialty should be labeled as Medicine, yes?
No worries. Specialties are specializations of abilities. So you have specialties in your abilities. A Medicine specialty is the specific kind of medicine you're excellent at, or the conditions under which you're especially skilled at medicine.

It can be anything, but some examples:
Battlefield Trauma
Midwifery
Poisons
Analgesics
While Sleep Deprived
Herbalism
Making Do
Spiritual Afflictions
Warding Malign Spirits

No worries. Specialties are specializations of abilities. So you have specialties in your abilities. A Medicine specialty is the specific kind of medicine you're excellent at, or the conditions under which you're especially skilled at medicine.

It can be anything, but some examples:
Battlefield Trauma
Midwifery
Poisons
Analgesics
While Sleep Deprived
Herbalism
Making Do
Spiritual Afflictions
Warding Malign Spirits
Can I mix two? Like Battlefield Trauma and Herbalism.

Though I feel While Sleep Deprived and Making Do with my soul....

Yes, an Ability can have as many Specialties as you like, but they have diminishing returns proportional to their overlap, as Specialties do not stack. If you're Making Do and Sleep Deprived, two things which may commonly coincide, you can only benefit from one or the other.

Yeah, you could for instance have;
Medicine - Herbalism
Archery - Bow
Performance - Dancing
Ride - Horses

As examples! Specialties are just areas where if they come up, you get an extra dice.

Looking at your charms, you have 13 out of the 20(!) charms you can pick at start. Dragon blooded have more than others, but I am sure if you ask Random nicely you can leave some charm picks until later when you've played a bit (maybe you've already covered this?)
However, if I can give a suggestion, you may want:
Cost: 1m per die; Mins: Archery 1, Essence 1
Type: Supplemental
Keywords: Balanced, Excellency, Uniform, Wood
Duration: Instant
Prerequisite Charms: None
Sighting along the flow of living Essence, the Dragon-Blood unleashes a flawless shot. She may add bonus dice to an Archery roll for one mote each.
As long as she attacks a living target — or an undead one, which stands out as a void in the Essence of the world — each added die negates one point of penalty from visual obstruction such as poor lighting or smoke.

and:
Cost: 1m per die; Mins: Medicine 1, Essence 1
Keywords: Balanced, Excellency, Wood
Blessed with understanding of the flow of living Essence through the body, the Dragon-Blooded physician refines her skill to perfection. She may add bonus dice to a Medicine roll for one mote each.
If she adds enough to reach her dice limit (p. 162), she also adds a non-Charm success on the roll.

These are both Excellency charms, meaning they are basic and make just all around better at using that ability.

Dragon blooded have more than others, but I am sure if you ask Random nicely you can leave some charm picks until later when you've played a bit (maybe you've already covered this?)
*bats eyes at Random*

I'll look into that, because as much as I want to use my Charm slots to my advantage, I also don't want to choose something only to find out that maybe I should've chosen something else.

However, if I can give a suggestion, you may want:
Cost: 1m per die; Mins: Archery 1, Essence 1
Keywords: Balanced, Excellency, Uniform, Wood
Sighting along the flow of living Essence, the Dragon-Blood unleashes a flawless shot. She may add bonus dice to an Archery roll for one mote each.
As long as she attacks a living target — or an undead one, which stands out as a void in the Essence of the world — each added die negates one point of penalty from visual obstruction such as poor lighting or smoke.

and:
Cost: 1m per die; Mins: Medicine 1, Essence 1
Keywords: Balanced, Excellency, Wood
Blessed with understanding of the flow of living Essence through the body, the Dragon-Blooded physician refines her skill to perfection. She may add bonus dice to a Medicine roll for one mote each.
If she adds enough to reach her dice limit (p. 162), she also adds a non-Charm success on the roll.

These are both Excellency charms, meaning they are basic and make just all around better at using that ability.
I was actually eyeballing them in the beginning, but I wanted to see what I had to work with first. Now that I know they're Excellency charms, I'll definitely add them.

*bats eyes at Random*

I'll look into that, because as much as I want to use my Charm slots to my advantage, I also don't want to choose something only to find out that maybe I should've chosen something else.

I was actually eyeballing them in the beginning, but I wanted to see what I had to work with first. Now that I know they're Excellency charms, I'll definitely add them.
Feel free to either leave slots unused or choose what looks cool now and change your character later. So long as the broad outlines of your character remain the same, I don't mind if you shuffle around dots or pick different Charms as you learn how the game works.

More than Charms, what I need to get Sayuri started in the IC thread is to know who she is. Merits really help with that, by establishing how others will relate to her. Allies, Retainers, Resources, Influence, etc say a lot about how to set her first scene. If you can get your character's background written and her Merits chosen, the rest you can sort out as you play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back