• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
MOOD: Nervous, tired

OUTFIT: some variation of the Durmstrang uniform that is not a full fur coat. Red blazer, black polo, dark brown pants.

two
INTERACTIONS: Naomi

MENTIONS:
two
TL;DR: Returns to the infirmary after spending half the night there, concerned about his new friend.
two
PIPER
Fuck. Piper had hoped, in some way, that Naomi would've had some recollection of what had happened. His heart nearly fell out of his chest when she said the last thing she remembered was him leaving her, guilt stabbing sharply in his chest at the reminder that he had left her when she needed him most. His head dropped below his shoulders and his hands found his face. He could only hear one thought: oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, oh my god. He rubbed his eyes roughly. Okay, maybe a second thought: fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck. She had no idea! She had no idea. Just searching for the right words made him feel ill. He was going to be physically ill.

He didn't have to look at Naomi to feel the stress radiating off of her. If she'd said anything, he didn't hear her. His reaction was clearly unsettling. Under better circumstances, he was a little better at tempering his emotions. Well. Marginally. He could at least swallow them. He ran his hands through his hair, attempting to tame the franticness he felt. Breathe. He reminded himself. Given the sensitivity of the situation, he needed to calm down. He needed to act more casually. If the entire hospital witnessed him losing his mind, he'd be putting Naomi into even more danger. He couldn't do that to her. He hardly knew her, and he already felt like he owed her so much.

The teen boy pulled a seat up to Naomi's hospital bed and sat. He rubbed his hands on his thighs for a moment, considering exactly what he was going to say and do. He needed to handle this delicately. He leveled his gaze, searching Naomi's deep brown eyes for any signs that she could be lying. She could be lying in order to save herself. She could be a malicious murderer, who killed the giant in cold blood. She could be lying now to see if he knew anything, to see if he'd rat on her, to see if she needed to take care of him next. He looked away. He knew none of that could be true. It just wasn't possible. Another unfortunate trait of being a seer: he often already knew the answers.

He looked back to the girl, hesitating for just a moment longer. He tentatively reached out for her hand, clasping it firmly in his own. "Naomi..." He started, looking down at their conjoined hands. His voice was soft, just barely above a whisper. "Naomi, something bad happened last night. Something really bad." He glanced up at her, carefully selecting the next words. "After I left last night—" he resisted the urge to physically wince "—I- I heard this scream coming from your direction. I came running back, and when I got to you, you were unconscious." He thought about stopping there. About letting her believe that nothing had really happened and he was a drama queen. About letting her live in bliss. About taking the time to mentally prepare himself to take the fall. He could probably cut himself a deal, as a minor and a seer. He could agree to working for the ministry in some sort of espionage, dropping out of school and trying to hone his abilities to find pertinent investigative information. But he knew he owed her the truth. He couldn't protect her from what she didn't know.

After a much too long pause, Piper squeezed Naomi's hand. His voice was even quieter. "You weren't alone. I found that Mahoutokoro boy, the giant one, with you." His chest constricted, finding it difficult to get the words to leave his body. They were sticking in his throat, threatening to suffocate him. He leaned in closer. "Naomi, he was dead." He didn't know what to expect from her. Thus far, she had been a sweet, angelic figure. Almost too airy and saccharine to be real. In a way, he half expected her to melt into a puddle that could no longer be perceived as a being with form. He half expected her to fly off the handle into a rage. He had really only known her for a few hours, he couldn't possibly know anything real about her. You might've thought he'd have a vision with the exact outcome, but he did not, and could only watch.

As the moment dawned on Naomi, he knew he couldn't be done. He needed to know if she knew what had happened. "Do you really not remember anything?" He pressed, looking at her deep brown eyes intently. He was searching for some sign of recognition or realization on her face. When he couldn't find the sign he was looking for, he swallowed hard and then he spoke again. "You killed him." Her shock doubled as she looked at him, and he could only imagine that her heart was pounding twice as fast as his was. He began speaking quickly, trying to use every second he could before she freaked out, left, or accused him of being a liar and a freak.

He leaned so far out of his chair, he was practically kneeling on the floor, and he gripped her arms near the elbows in an earnest plea.

"I didn't see it happen, and I know it sounds crazy, but I know it was you. I don't know how I know, I just do. I— I had a bad feeling, so I didn't tell anyone. I cast the flare charm on his wand, so maybe someone could come find him. I have this awful, awful feeling about what happened. Something's wrong. Like more wrong than what's already happened. I don't know how I know that, I just do." He looked to her face, frantically, hoping that she wasn't going to toss him out and report him as beign the murderer. He loosened his grip on her. "Naomi, please, you have to trust me."
sometimes i act like i know
but i'm really just a kid
with two corks in his eyes
and a bully in his brain
code by valen t.

1f644a2e9f4d193655c706a00293fa02.jpg

Chahaya “Cha-Cha” Arif // “Dysfunctional Ex-Con” // Male // Age 32 // Castelobruxo Professor // Legilimens

The events of the past day flooded over Cha-Cha like a strong drink as he teetered to the library, pain lancing through his leg if he walked too briskly. Clara Winters’s hair gusting around her face as she recognized him on the caboose of the train, her garnet lips forming a little round O of surprise. The circle of jewel-tone dresses and stoic suits as the professors of Ilvermorny huddled around a table at the Opening Ceremony, stealing glances at him as they took delicate sips from champagne flutes. Reminiscing over long-ago Quidditch games with Kazimir, exchanging cursory nods with Einar as they pretended not to know each other, Amity Monroe’s apparent horror when Cha-Cha had flippantly (and drunkenly) finished one of her sentences for her verbatim. Telling Lisandro that sometimes the only way to fight fire was to actually light one on an enemy’s turf, and sending Bellini’s suite up in flames. Any one of them could have been Chitrita’s confederate, hiding in the shadows and waiting to strike. It would be far from the first attempt on Cha-Cha’s life, but it would be the first—excluding two attempts in Azkaban, one time with a shank fashioned from a toothbrush and the other with a poisoned bowl of broccoli cheddar soup—that he didn’t have his powers to defend himself.
His thoughts lingered on Clara Winters for a moment, and a dash of guilt seeped through him. Naturally, had he done nothing, he would have been the first suspect for a mysterious case of arson committed in the wee hours. But he’d taken care to cover his tracks. The magical map she had created, loaded with both her DNA and her wand’s spellwork—which she and Ricky had allegedly created together, but Cha-Cha knew in his heart that his student was neither ingenious enough to come up with such an idea nor a strong enough spellcaster to execute it—had been abandoned at the scene of the crime, as if its creator had been in a haste to flee and simply forgot it. Among the international faculty and likely that of Ilvermorny as well, there was no shortage of former Aurors, and Cha-Cha wondered how long it would take them to bring young Clara to the forefront of the investigation and what the consequences would be for her when they did.
It had to happen, he reasoned to himself. She knew too much of my work, and if she actually understands it, there’s half a chance she’s a Legilimens as well, or could grow to become one. And a teenager with no compunctions about poking around in other people’s heads is the last thing I need to contend with right now. It was bad enough that Bellini had dredged up a memory of Lestari, one of Cha-Cha’s former patients, that had caused him to become hot and bothered at the dinner table. Lestari, who had died eight months later in the demolition of a black-ops laboratory in Jakarta that experimented on children with Obscuruses. Lestari, whom Cha-Cha would lay awake at night and imagine a hundred different ways of proposing to, back when he was young and dumb and believed in love.
His gaze shot up at a flicker of movement. Cha-Cha’s heart clenched briefly at the unexpected appearance of another wanderer, startled that he hadn’t sensed the psychic signature of someone only a few paces off before remembering that, at the moment, such an ability was beyond him. The thought that he was bound by the meager mortal senses of sight and sound made him feel unaware and easily killable. The next thought that occurred to him was that he recognized this wanderer. A cleft chin nestled in a square jaw and heavy brows sheltered deep-set eyes. The Hogwarts champion’s broad shoulders gently oscillated from side to side as he walked, like some prowling jungle creature, yet he looked strangely plain in a textured gray sweater. Upon seeing Cha-Cha, the tall boy’s face abruptly emptied itself, any emotion wiped away like rain-fog from a windowpane. Cha-Cha was content to give him a nod in passing and continue on his merry way to the library, but to his surprise, the student addressed him by name and drew to a stop in front of him. Like a bouncer preparing to bounce an underaged patron, the boy’s chest seemed to expand and he rooted himself in the middle of the hall with a wide stance, so that Cha-Cha would have to slide along the wall to get past him.
Cha-Cha nudged the low brim of his fedora back so that he could meet the teenager’s eyes, and renewed his appreciation for the fact that when Lis was around, he felt comparatively tall. Chitrita had mentioned receiving a sizable payout for her services, so naturally he’d assumed that it was a professor or at least an adult in a position of authority behind his sabotage. But between the flat way the Hogwarts boy was looking at him and a looming posture that wasn’t quite threatening but wasn’t far from it, Cha-Cha was ready to draw his wand on a hair trigger. The constant paranoia was making his stomach twist, and he anxiously wondered how much longer he’d have to wait until the tranquilizers kicked in.
Nonetheless, he grinned at the Hogwarts boy, looking at him warmly and intently. Legilimency or not, it was habitual for Cha-Cha to play with people, and one of his favorite ways to do that was to meet hostility with a cloying degree of friendliness. He paid attention to people when they talked and typically didn’t have to feign his interest. “You can call me Chahaya,” he said graciously. It had been his only name until the age of nine, when his mother had married his stepfather and he’d adopted the patronym, which was the closest equivalent to an actual surname for many individuals of West Java. “After you helped save my life last night, I suppose that makes us pretty good friends, no?” he said cheerily, unable to resist goading this blatantly antagonistic kid a little. “It’s Theodore, right?” Cha-Cha pronounced the foreign name with a d at the beginning and several r’s trilling into each other.
Standing in place had put undue stress on his ankle, and as if alluding to last night’s injury had provoked it, Cha-Cha gave a little wobble in his heeled boots. Theodore noticed and asked about it, which Cha-Cha suspected was a subtle taunt disguised as an inquiry of well-being. “It’s feeling much better now,” he replied, which was perfectly true, given that the bottom quarter of his leg was no longer swollen and red and exploding with pus. “The healers were astonished at the speed of my recovery. I think they expected I would be in the infirmary at least until tomorrow, but Miss Sinclaire stopped the spread of the venom before it damaged much else. All in all, I was extremely lucky. Thank you for asking!” he cooed, as if Theodore had come to visit his hospital bedside with an armload of flowers. “Although in retrospect, I don’t think my current footwear was the best choice,” he added ruefully, looking up from under his fedora.
Theodore’s eyes were as cold as a demon’s kiss, as if this development disappointed him but he was marginally too polite to say so. Sensing the beginning of an uncomfortable lull, Cha-Cha asked, “Isn’t class in session now?” He tilted his head and looked at Theodore shrewdly. “...But I suppose your first class doesn’t start until this afternoon, otherwise you’d already be there, right?” he lied conveniently for the Hogwarts boy, grinning. Back when he was a student, Cha-Cha had been no stranger to tardy marks, but he’d only ever skipped class outright when it conflicted with his work schedule at the stable. He’d been an exception to the rule in that the entire cost of his tuition had been waived on account of a unique skill set and an inability to pay for it, and he hadn’t wanted to give Koldovstoretz’s administration excessive reason to change its mind.
And then, an idea lit in his head like a struck match. Theodore had been together with Chitrita when they’d followed Vasu’s trail of destruction to the first-floor music wing where his snake had bitten Cha-Cha. According to Chitrita’s narrative, Theodore had also been there when Cha-Cha was deposited at the infirmary. Even if he wasn’t the saboteur who had cut the deal with Chitrita, there was an affiliation between them. He might know something about who or why or how it had happened. If Theodore wasn’t intending to go to class anyway, then Cha-Cha felt minimal guilt about suggesting he skip it grandly. After all, what better time to pick his brain? Without his powers, he’d have to get his answers the old-fashioned way: talking over copious amounts of alcohol. Just like the many undercover jobs he’d done to lighten his sentence.
“Say, Theodore,” he said with an impish grin. “Is it all right if I call you that?” Without waiting for him to respond, Cha-Cha continued, “If you have a couple of hours before your first class, what do you say we go exploring the local area? I could use a chaperone to make sure I don’t fall, and you could use a toast to celebrate your championship, I’m sure. My treat, of course. You don’t mind if we get an early start on the day, do you?” His smile broadened. Yes, Cha-Cha’s sole purpose for the suggestion was getting the English boy drunk so that he might divulge conspiratorial secrets. Not at all because he was craving a drink at half-past nine in the morning.

• lisandro valencia
    castelobruxo champion

A
    s Professor Einar spoke before class started, Lis stared down at his History of Magic textbook, hoping that class would start (and end) without much of a hitch – there had been way too much chaos already for Lis, and this was the first official day. History of Magic wasn’t one of his favorite classes, but he was good at remembering and regurgitating information, though the latter part was the worst part of the class. Being called on made him shiver, though he wasn’t shy of raising his hand if he knew the answer – the being put on the spot is what made him nervous, made his mind into a blank slate that he couldn’t pull the answers from.

Plus, it didn’t help that this classroom’s acoustics were messing with his hearing aids. Though imbibed with magic, even sound itself couldn’t be harnessed completely, by wizards or muggles. He could mess with them, change the frequency as much as he wanted, but sometimes things were still hard to hear. Especially as far back as he’d sat in the classroom… he wished he’d paid attention, saw that class hadn’t quite started yet, and sat a bit closer.

Now, he was rooted to the spot. Once he sat down he couldn’t move again, it would be weird, he could feel people’s eyes on him already and he didn’t want to draw further attention to himself. Plus, Professor Einar had finally begun to speak. He could somewhat hear him, but what he did hear was the aftermath of the collision of two students near the door and turned towards them. One of them was a student from Beauxbatons and the other, a boy he hadn’t seen yet before. As he watched, the boy dropped a textbook on the girls foot and Lis couldn’t help but feel bad.

If it were him running straight into a girl and then trying to make it better by handing her her books back and he dropped it instead, he wouldn’t be able to let himself live it down. He would agonize over it later, watching the memory on repeat. So he felt empathy for the boy, just about until he asked “Are you sorry?”

Well… kind of a rude response, in Lis’s opinion, and he wondered if this guy was rude or just a bit strange… Either way, his attention was directed back to Professor Einar, as he addressed the pair’s collision and continued with class. Lis could hear most of it, missing only a couple words here and there, and was enrapt by what Einar was saying.

Then, Einar opened his old book and an eruption of color and figures surrounded them, history literally leaping off of the page and dancing around the classroom, figures zooming over their heads and between desks, painting a picture of a colorful past – and actually making the events in their textbook seem interesting. Then, he opened the floor to the students and Lis sunk down in his seat – he liked muggle history more and though he knew enough about wizarding history, he wasn’t quite ready to speak up in class.

He fidgeted with the papers of his open textbook, fluttering the corner of the pages nervously as the student with a shaved head who’d run into the Beauxbaton’s girl spoke, talking about Dark Arts. Lisandro was used to hearing about Dark Magic, Aurors and criminals being a common dinner time topic around his family. That was why he even somewhat recognized who Einar was – his father admired the old man and would often regale the dinner table about his feats. But he wasn’t used to other students dropping information about them so casually, so he stared at the boy, trying to figure out what his deal was. Being from Durmstrang was enough, perhaps, but his swiftness in volunteering the answer almost made him seem enthusiastic about it.

Lis bit his lip, considering an answer or not – he was a champion, at a new school with mostly new people, and he wanted to represent his school well. Perhaps this was the year that he should start speaking up and stop hiding… but he didn’t know how to follow up the other students answer, so he quietly resolved himself to raise his hand for the next question the professor asked.

interaction:
    none, VERY open

feeling:
    nervous

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back