• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Monster Love OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
I don't suppose any of you know what order to add the reagents of an acid chloride esterification? :(
this?
arboxylic acids and alcohols are often warmed together in the presence of a few drops of concentrated sulphuric acid in order to observe the smell of the esters formed.

You would normally use small quantities of everything heated in a test tube stood in a hot water bath for a couple of minutes.

Because the reactions are slow and reversible, you don't get a lot of ester produced in this time. The smell is often masked or distorted by the smell of the carboxylic acid. A simple way of detecting the smell of the ester is to pour the mixture into some water in a small beaker.

Apart from the very small ones, esters are fairly insoluble in water and tend to form a thin layer on the surface. Excess acid and alcohol both dissolve and are tucked safely away under the ester layer.

Small esters like ethyl ethanoate smell like typical organic solvents (ethyl ethanoate is a common solvent in, for example, glues).

As the esters get bigger, the smells tend towards artificial fruit flavouring - "pear drops", for example.

this?
arboxylic acids and alcohols are often warmed together in the presence of a few drops of concentrated sulphuric acid in order to observe the smell of the esters formed.

You would normally use small quantities of everything heated in a test tube stood in a hot water bath for a couple of minutes.

Because the reactions are slow and reversible, you don't get a lot of ester produced in this time. The smell is often masked or distorted by the smell of the carboxylic acid. A simple way of detecting the smell of the ester is to pour the mixture into some water in a small beaker.

Apart from the very small ones, esters are fairly insoluble in water and tend to form a thin layer on the surface. Excess acid and alcohol both dissolve and are tucked safely away under the ester layer.

Small esters like ethyl ethanoate smell like typical organic solvents (ethyl ethanoate is a common solvent in, for example, glues).

As the esters get bigger, the smells tend towards artificial fruit flavouring - "pear drops", for example.

No, that's a fischer esterification, but thank you

this?

Well then...

It's orgo chem. I know what to do, I just don't know what order to mix the alcohol, acid chloride and pyridine in. If I mix the alcohol and acid chloride first the reaction form HCl and it's a violent reaction, so I need to know if I mix the pyridine with the acid chloride or alcohol first

It's orgo chem. I know what to do, I just don't know what order to mix the alcohol, acid chloride and pyridine in. If I mix the alcohol and acid chloride first the reaction form HCl and it's a violent reaction, so I need to know if I mix the pyridine with the acid chloride or alcohol first
I would say you mix the prydine with aclohol first. But idk just guessing.
Lol I could tell because you didn't copy the C at the beginning of Carboxylic acid, that and the formatting
LMAO I didn't even notice

I would say you mix the prydine with aclohol first. But idk just guessing.

LMAO I didn't even notice
I think you're right because we were told to add extra acid chloride because the pyridine and acid would form a salt, so congrats, you're a chemist now.

lol dafaq I never took chemistry sadly I was too stupid but that's not true I just had trouble with math fractions division and decimals and because of that never got a chance to try it out. ): And those with higher math in my school well they level up lmao I was always that one mexican that fucks up xD it was funny in every class I took it was always a group of mexicans in a support group. I was like: Das sad

lol dafaq I never took chemistry sadly I was too stupid but that's not true I just had trouble with math fractions division and decimals and because of that never got a chance to try it out. ): And those with higher math in my school well they level up lmao I was always that one mexican that fucks up xD it was funny in every class I took it was always a group of mexicans in a support group. I was like: Das sad
Math and science are my strong suit, social things not so much

Math and science are my strong suit, social things not so much

I'm gonna be honest here.
FUCK MATH.
Hated that shit with a passion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back