• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom ❉ lacuna*: fruits basket

scroll

The Dog

Kaede.

mood

panicked

her room

interactions

saki, ai

Questions swirled in Kaede’s mind, a myriad of worries jumping to the surface. Something bad had happened. That much she had gathered in the commotion. Death…was not something she handled well, and she fought desperately to keep her thoughts focused. Yet, glimpses of her childhood, her mother, and her life before this, blinked into her mind, disappearing just as quickly as they manifested, leaving a wave of guilt in its wake.

Kaede looked towards her two friends, who had settled into her room and gnawed at her lip. She had never seen the compound in such chaos before—maybe it was the additional dread that lingered in everyone’s minds. Things would change, whether it would be obvious or not, she couldn’t say, but now that the tension had broken, a new type of uncertainty hung in the air.

Kaede moved to sit next to Saki, a box of tissues in her hands. Careful not to overcrowd Saki, although her heart demanded she provide comfort, Kaede moved to wipe the tears from the older zodiac’s face.
“Saki-san…” she started carefully, “please be kind to yourself. You are not a hypocrite for struggling with…our new reality.”

Comforting others was never something she was partially good at. Calming words and phrases laced with wisdom seldom come from an overemotional puppy.

But for Saki, she would try. Kaede's heart lurched as her eyes met her "big sisters". Just how much had Saki been going through by herself?

“Things may be different now—we may be different now,”
Kaede said, grasping Saki’s hand within her own.
“But you are still our Saki, right Ai?”
she said, glancing over to Ai, who crouched before them.
“You are always so strong. You always are there for everyone else, but now it’s your turn to not be okay, and that’s okay. Please, let us be there for you this time.”

♡coded by uxie♡

the horse.

kenta.

The air crackled with an almost palpable tension as Arashi's piercing gaze bore into Kenta, stripping away years of carefully constructed defenses. Of course, Arashi saw right through him. The God had always known where to strike, where it hurt the most.

Playing pretend. The accusation rang with a terrible truth that threatened to shatter the fragile illusion he'd clung to for so long. Kenta had been doing just that, fooling himself all these years. Running from the curse, acting like his life could be normal, believing that if he could just escape far enough, he might find a way to break free. It was a desperate charade, one he'd clung to with every ounce of strength. A child's game of make-believe, doomed from the start.

“Everything I do is for you!” Arashi's voice cracked like thunder, each syllable a dagger twisting in Kenta's gut.

For the briefest moment, Kenta thought he saw a crack in the God's hardened facade—a flicker of vulnerability, a ghost of the boy he'd once loved. It was gone in an instant, leaving Kenta reeling, his emotions a maelstrom of fury, confusion, and a traitorous spark of longing that refused to die. He met Arashi's gaze unflinchingly, refusing to back down even as the God's words battered against him like a hurricane.

“I did what needed to be done. I don't get to run away from this place, and soon enough neither will you.”

Something inside Kenta snapped. Years of pent-up anguish and rage burst forth, his voice raw and trembling with the force of it.
"Why not say anything then?"
he demanded, the words tearing from his throat.
"Why keep it all a secret?"
His fists clenched at his sides, nails biting into his palms as he struggled to keep from lashing out physically.
"Why pretend that everything is going according to your plan when you're just making it up like the rest of us? What makes you so certain that your way is the only way?"

The dam of Kenta's restraint finally burst, unleashing a torrent of questions and accusations. His voice rose, raw with fury and desperation.
"Maybe if you'd deigned to talk to us, to treat us like equals instead of pawns in your grand plan, we could have prevented this nightmare!"
He took another step forward, close enough now that he could see the flecks of blood splattered across Arashi's cheeks.
"Did it ever occur to you that we might have valuable input? That together we could have found a solution that didn't end with someone fucking murdered?"

The rain lashed against Kenta's skin in icy sheets, soaking him to the bone. Lightning split the sky, briefly illuminating the anguish etched across his features. He paused, his chest heaving with the effort to control his breathing.

"Why,"
Kenta choked out as his voice dropped to a hoarse whisper,
"why make me hate you all these years and never mention any of it?"

The silence that followed was deafening. The rain pounded down, soaking them both, but neither moved. The tension between them was electric, a storm within a storm, threatening to break them both.

arashi.

"Why make me hate you all these years and never mention any of it?"

God scowls,
“You chose to hate what you did not understand, do not put that on me!”
He hisses,
“I have been raised since birth to receive your devotion and to offer my love in return, and I have been rejected since I was hardly more than a baby!”
Arashi's voice raises, scratched and broken.
“I do not treat you as equals, because I am your God! And I have never been given even a moment to forget that! I have been blamed for everything, at every fucking turn, so it should come as no surprise that I wouldn't trust you all to want to protect me!”

A strained sigh escapes them. Exhaustion weighs on them. Arashi is tired of yelling, of always having to fight to protect himself. He shivers and bites back a whimper.
“Being the God whose life is constantly under scrutiny has some benefits,”
he murmurs. Regret washes over his anger.
“Drugging me is one thing, but it would be unwise to bruise God. What would the public think, were they to see me come to harm?”
His pale eyes fall to the muddied ground.
“But a Zodiac... If it comes to it, they will always do what they feel needs to be done.”

Arashi feels his throat burning as his entire body shudders from the cold, relentless rain.
“I saw it in their faces, but I ignored it. I thought you were as untouchable in that regard as I was.”
He can't bring himself to look up at Kenta again.
“Every time we sat too close, or stared too long, they noticed. They were disgusted.”

“I did what needed to be done,”
God says again.

glimpse of us

joji

♡coded by uxie♡

The Dragon continues her search

Zhou Rui Xi

Rui Xi left for the courtyard, feeling assured of Nova's intentions. By now both of The Dragon and The Snake's teeth had sunken into in; even if her words were suspicious, The Tiger had no way of escaping.

The spiritual connection between the hosts outweighed that of their families of origin, both with the God and with each other. She could have easily drowned Arashi when they were young or ripped him apart whenever she turned into a dragon, but the curse. The curse created the circumstances behind their enmeshment and in turn, kept her from taking that bite. She could have specialized in criminal law and convicted U-Jin, but that would have meant jailing one of three two people she could embrace (something that not even Murasaki could provide her).

She let the water splash onto her boots as she rinsed away the blood, paying extra attention where the body fell. Luckily for everyone, the grass had done a good job absorbing In her mind's eye, the hose was a gun and the blood pool, the doctor's cowering form. Two bursts of water knocked the dry bits from the dirt, allowing it to run away with the rest of the blood.

That only left the sedated, old bat. Rui Xi dragged the hose over to Inori, the nozzle pointed directly at her face.

"Such a pity that I couldn't be the one to do it," The Dragon sneered, "I would have been far more private."

She squeezed the trigger, drenching the shivering servant before tossing the hose down and dragging Inori by the back of her collar.

"The curse began with us together, and it will end with us together," Rui Xi hummed as they reached the front door.

Who knew that would include the servants as well?

mood | Too old for this
scroll

location | The Compound

tag | U-Jin @buckybaernes Nova @Shadow Alpha

/* ------ credit -- do not remove ------ */

© weldherwings.

the horse.

kenta.

all i wanted

the compound

interactions

arashi

tags

Kenta felt the weight of Arashi’s words crash over him, each accusation hitting like a hammer to his heart. The rain poured down, relentless, cold, and merciless, but nothing compared to the chill of realizing how deep Arashi’s pain ran. He took a shaky breath, feeling his anger melt into something far more painful—guilt and sorrow.

"Do you really think I chose to hate you?"
Kenta's voice was softer now, almost pleading.
"Do you think any of this was a choice for me? I was a kid, Arashi. We both were. We didn’t know any better."
He swallowed hard, fighting back the lump in his throat.
"All I saw was someone I lov—"
he caught himself,
"—someone I cared about more than anything, pushing me away. And I didn't understand why."

Kenta's voice grew stronger, fueled by years of pent-up emotion.
"You talk about being raised for devotion, for love. But what about us? The rest of the Zodiac?"
His hands clenched into fists at his sides.
"We were raised to serve, to follow, to never question. But we did question. We wondered why the person who was supposed to be closest to us, seemed so distant, so untouchable."

He stepped closer, rain cascading down his face, ignoring his cold pyjamas clinging to his frame.
"I didn't hate you because you were God, Arashi. I hated you because I didn't understand why you let everyone believe you didn't care."
His voice broke.
"If you had just... let us in... "

Kenta sighed, raising a trembling hand to push away the wet strands of hair clinging to his forehead.
"You say you were rejected, that you never had a moment to forget your role as God,"
he continued, his voice hoarse from yelling.
"But I... we felt rejected too. We needed you, Arashi. And instead of explaining, instead of trusting us, you let us think we're doomed to our fates, as if you knew this would happen all along."

He shook his head, drawing in a shaky breath. The cold, the rain, these new revelations coming to light... it was all too much to bear. For a fleeting moment, Kenta contemplated turning his back on everything—the compound, the Zodiacs, Arashi... all of it. The temptation to walk away and live out the rest of his days in peace, free from this suffocating destiny, was almost overwhelming.

Instead... he reached out a hand tentatively as his fingers brushed against Arashi's.

"I am sorry that I made you feel that you couldn't trust me. That you always had to make the hard choices alone,"
he said.
"But we don't have much time left. And I think things need to change if you... if we truly wish to break this curse. You can't do that alone going on like this, Arashi."

He raised his hand to place it on Arashi's shoulder, his thumb rubbing circles onto his skin as he continued.
"You're not untouchable. None of us are. And pretending otherwise... it's killing us all,"
Kenta said softly.
"Whatever comes next... whatever we have to face... we need to face it together. No more secrets, no more lies. Just... us. Flawed, broken, but still fighting."

Kenta held out his hand, palm up—a peace offering and a promise all at once.
"What do you say? Are you willing to try?"
Acutely aware that this moment could change everything—for better or for worse, the sound of his heartbeat was only drowned out by the rain continuing to fall around them.

Yori

scroll

Yori studied the look in Konishi’s eyes, seeing that she was far more sheep than human than he had realized with his first glance. For a moment, he felt the need to comfort her, as he often did in the past in his role as one of the guardians, but then he was registering her words and his tight smile turned to a small frown. She had known? What did that mean? His grip on her wrist tightened slightly (though he was unsure if it was still in comfort or in restraint) as he gripped his cane hard and the roots of his hair turned slowly to a more blonde color, “When did you…? What do you…?”

“Don’t.”

His head snapped over to who had interrupted them, reminding him that there were others in the area. Takumi’s desperation seemed almost tangible with the word, so unlike anything he had seen from the other man that it completely threw him off. The world that he’d woken to was so off center that he was starting to think that maybe he was still dreaming. Everything just seemed… off. Yori quickly released Konishi’s wrist but didn’t move far from her, still unsure of what her words meant but slowly becoming aware enough of their situation that a clear head was needed before anyone made any rash decisions.

He allowed Takumi to usher them towards the other side of the compound, where the more lush gardens were. Taking the spot beside Konishi, he was quiet other than the additional click in his gait from his cane. Over the years the garden area had slowly changed. As each new zodiac came in, a part of them had been added, flowers and plants their caretakers had thought matched each of them. It used to resemble how well they all looked together, a peaceful place he would go to admire the symbolic beauty of their bond. But over time as each of them grew and most of them left, Yori had seen the servants remove their parts from the garden until only a few remained. Naturally, his eyes shifted to where he knew his pink hyacinths grew, currently dormant but showing signs of budding. He briefly hoped that he would be able to see them in their full glory before the curse took over.

The small group moved further into the garden towards the gazebo in its center as the sky opened up and the rain started to pour. It was comforting yet disorienting at the same time that the world continued on as normal despite everything that happened; it made him wish he could stop time just so he could process just… everything. Their steps were quick (or as quick as Yori could handle) as they neared the seating area, and as soon as he was close enough he sat heavily on one of the benches to stretch his leg out with a wince. Lazily, he tucked his cane against him as he looked between Takumi and Konishi, wanting to bring up what the sheep had started to mention earlier, but not sure how to with the Ox’s presence.

Inhaling deeply, he took in the scents of the rain and plant life around them before he blew out a harsh breath as he tilted his head back and closed his eyes. A crack of thunder startled him enough to cause him to jump a little, bringing a humorless smile to his lips. “Is it too early to say I’m tired?” he asked before looking back at the other two.

click for more

♡design by minajesty, coded by uxie♡

“Hurry.” Focused on Yori, Konishi blinked stupidly at the outstretched arm, a sudden barrier that she couldn’t go around. She looked up at the word, don’t and paused. She shrank back at the frown that crossed the ox’s face, instincts still in the forefront, but still, she listened. “But Kenta hurts.”

Still, like a good little sheep, Konishi followed as she was shepherded away from the scene. With each step, her ovine characteristics bled away, letting her begin to think more than feel. As her arms grew bare, she wrapped them around herself, her meager, torn nightgown not enough to block out the rain. Her hair was a mess. Unbrushed the night before, even if she’d slept on the silk pillow the compound provided, it would have been wild. Now, it clumped in a mass, leaves and sticks stuck within.

She was surprised as they entered the garden, it looked little like she’d last seen it. Her eyes searched for the massive bushes that would hold the huge blue hydrangeas every June through July. But they were gone. It felt like a blow, though she didn’t understand why.

As the two led her to the gazebo, she stayed quiet, taking a seat, and tucking her hands under her thighs, her legs swinging. She didn’t look at them, instead wondering at the rain still running down her face. It couldn’t be tears, could it?
Yori said:
“Is it too early to say I’m tired?”
Konishi turned her head to face the monkey, her brow creasing as she took in his pained state. Maybe they shouldn’t have walked so far. Knowing he disliked pity, she forced a smile on her face, closed mouth to hide the fact she was missing her front teeth again. “I don’t think any of us have been sleeping well.”

Then unprompted, she looked away, down at the wood floor of the gazebo. “The year I lost my family was hard on me. I felt I had nothing to live for.” Her voice was quiet, monotone. “I couldn’t care about school: only the fear of the servants beating me like they beat Reiji kept me going. But it wasn’t always enough. I skipped a lot of school in those days, wandering in random directions, uncaring. One of those times, I came back to the compound. I don’t know why, but some urge pushed me in that direction. I snuck in, not wanting to be caught by the servants, but I didn’t see any. I heard a commotion, someone screaming and things breaking. I’d heard whisper of Their tantrums, but I’d never been there for one. Why I went forward instead of running, I still don’t know. Looking back, there was no chance of me being heard, not over the screaming and bangs, but I still crept down the hall.”

She looked up, over at the spot that once held her Hydrangeas. She’d felt like they were a secret. A heartfelt apology from one of the servants. A gift to her family from the Emperor himself. She never knew, but she pretended.

With a sigh, Konishi continued, “He was trying to kill himself, or maybe someone else, I don’t know. He had a knife: he held it against his throat and swiped at some of the servants around him. When he attacked one, the others came from behind and sedated him--with a syringe, like today.” She turned to Takumi. “I always thought the oldest of us knew. That they were drugging him. But with U-jin’s reaction, I doubt that now.” Now, her desperate eyes turned to Yori. “That’s why it’s my fault. I knew, and kept it a secret like everything else! Maybe, maybe if I hadn’t, he wouldn’t have killed anyone. Maybe he would have been helped.”

Then back at the floor, she hugged herself, rocking, “I hated him. Maybe I still do. For taking away my family, for hurting us. But I didn’t want anyone hurt.” Now she was crying for real.

peachiepalette peachiepalette Skryeb Skryeb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back