• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

smw9e x Techno Cat (1X1, Mature)

Techno Cat

~Translocated from Google Docs~

The joke and magic shop always received most of its clientele toward the wee hours of the evening. Although it was ostensibly a place for children, more of the visitors, particularly around closing time, were much older and of the suspicious variety. Tristan always found these visitors interesting. He never asked them any questions, and he never spoke about them after meeting them, but he certainly remembered every face that entered the shop. At the end of his shift, when he returned home, the young man would sketch the faces in a small notebook, adding any details he could remember about their purchases or mannerisms as well.

A tinkling sound caused Tristan to snap out of his restful state. He’d gotten so used to the silence and the low light that he’d nearly fallen asleep. His bright brown eyes widened when he noticed the figure in the doorway. Though he’d never seen the man before, his was a face that Tristan would never forget.

“I’d like to see the backroom” the man pushed past Tristan and went through the drawn curtains in the back of the shop. He emerged moments later with a small vial, placing it on the counter. With a slight yawn, Tristan wrote down the item number, took the man’s cash, and proceeded to lock the door as the stranger departed. It was midnight, closing time. Though exhausted, Tristan began the long walk home with a bounce in his step; he just wondered if he’d be able to find a color to match the customer’s chilling, blue eyes.

In the dusty, fluorescent-lit streets, passersby were few and far between. Bums, druggies, and streetwalkers made up the majority, and as a result, police activity was prevalent. It seemed like Tristan couldn’t cross a single block without stumbling across squad cars, sirens, or leering and suspicious glances from uniformed police who were drinking coffee on stakeouts.

The periodic police presence did not cease even on the home front. When Tristan finally returned to his apartment, his roommate was sitting on the stoop of their apartment, dressed in a plain white t-shirt and a pair of loose jeans. Zander had a grim expression on his face as he spoke to a police officer, who was taking notes while other officers scouted the interior for evidence.

It was only when he noticed movement down the street that he got to his feet and dusted off his hands before excusing himself. At a half-jog, he met Tristan a short distance down the road and clapped a hand on his shoulder while brushing a hand through his obsidian hair. “Fuck, man, it happened again. We’ve been robbed. Do they really think we have anything worth stealing?”

“I don’t know, man.” Tristan looked back at his roommate, offering a dry smile before adding, “I mean, short of stealing us, I don’t know what anyone would take, and no offense, but I don’t even think we’re worth that kind of trouble.” Honestly, Tristan wanted to go up to his room, curl up on his shitty futon and pull out his sketch pad. Each moment he stood out here with Zander, Tristan could feel the man’s face slipping out of his memory. He could scarcely recall whether the man’s left or right eye was larger, how many wrinkles creased his forehead, or if he’d been able to catch a glimpse of the male’s teeth.

As they walked toward the house, Tristan paused, a question slowly seeped into his head. Clearing his throat, he asked, “Did you notice anything missing?” The exhaustion was weighing on Tristan and he sounded less than concerned about his possessions.

Zander shrugged, “I didn’t notice anything, but then again, I’m not one of them.” He gestured up the street toward the police officers, shaking his head, “You’d think that they’d get off their asses and actually prevent a crime every once in awhile.”

When the police were done gathering evidence and making idle promises that they would do everything they could, Zander sauntered over to the fridge to grab a beer. Thankfully, those hadn’t been touched, though they were nearly the most desirable item in the apartment. They didn’t even have a television.

As the officers were leaving, the two roommates heard an announcement sound over the police radio. “...Backup is requested at Boardman Hall. Investigations and questionings are already underway to determine who is responsible for the death of Senator Wheldon.”

That was the last they heard before the door shut behind them. Zander tugged absentmindedly at the label on his beer, considering the gravity of what he had just heard. Of course, not having a television meant that they hadn’t been privy to the news, which had been covering the breaking story of the assassination. He got one more look at Tristan and said, “I’ll clean up a bit. You should go to bed. You look like shit.”

“Yeah, yeah. Goodnight to you too” Tristan rolled his eyes playfully. He couldn’t even argue with his roommate at this point--it had been a long night and he was a little worse for wear. “I’ll come up with some witty remark later” he smiled slightly, making his way toward his bedroom. Everything seemed to be in order, though the small room was a little messier than he had remembered.

Eyes widening, Tristan couldn’t help wondering if his sketchbook was still in its secret spot, beneath the loose floorboard, underneath his bed. Though he was aware that it didn’t offer much information and probably wasn’t worth stealing, he couldn’t move the floorboard out from under the bed quickly enough to steady his racing heart. Relief washed over his face when he found that the book was just as he had left it. He picked it up and grabbed a sketching pencil, turning to a fresh new page so he could draw the face that had stayed in his memory.

As he drew, he tried to pull out the details he could remember from his last customer. He had started sketching the eyes, but his mind began to wander toward what he could recall of the man’s mannerisms, what he had purchased. Tristan couldn’t remember what had been in the little vial, but as he drifted off, he realized that he was too tired to care.

On the eve of the inauguration, the upcoming prime minister sat downwind of downstage left, and to his left, his wife, she of half his age and half his girth. The aging and current prime minister, long widowed, sat downwind of downstage right, his demeanor as frigid as sleet on frosted glass. Center stage was the violinist, elegant and austere. Golden hair was plaited asymmetrically against symmetrical features, and fell lovely and loose against bare shoulders. It was said that she was learned in the classical styles from the early Renaissance to the current age, an aspiring concert violinist from prepubescence. Upstage were background musicians employed to fill the space, though her music left none to be desired. Her talent was without equal, they said. She could fill the auditorium all on her own.

In the midst of a power outage, a crash sounded downwind of downstage left. When the lights returned two minutes later, the upcoming prime minister’s wife let out a shrill and high-pitched scream when she found her husband’s head floating in minestrone. In the center of his forehead they found a small pinprick, and in the center of his bowl, a tiny dart, later found to be tipped in poison. Time of death, 1:39 am. Cause of death, cardiac death brought on by unspecified poison.

All present were questioned, including the violinist, who came to from unconsciousness minutes after the event. Clearly traumatized, investigators offered her a dark woolen blanket to pull over her shoulders as well as a coffee to keep her warm. She shook violently despite these measures, and seemed bewildered at the questioning.

It was well past 3 am when the detectives completed their first round of questioning. At the end of it, the violinist cradled her instrument and gathered herself to make the walk across the street to the nearest hotel. Her room was on the 20th floor of the high rise, with a panoramic view of the city. The streets in the affluent part of town were well-lit, but empty of people besides those streaming out of the concert hall. It would have seemed a safe part of town if the assassination hadn’t happened right in the midst of it.

Tristan woke up with a start. He never set alarms, they were far too jarring in the morning, but as a result he tended to run short on time. Looking at his cellphone, he realized that it was seven-thirty and he had to be at class by nine. He didn’t like the early morning courses, but after being unsure about whether he’d be able to pay for college coursework, Tristan had been subjected to the worst times for the courses he’d needed.

Running from his room to the shower and back, he threw on a plain t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers. Though he typically dressed a bit more formally, well as formally as his wallet would allow, Tristan knew he was going to work up a sweat walking outside. Despite the amount of bus stops that were near the dump he lived in, Tristan preferred to walk to the bus stop in the wealthier part of town. Not only was the stop in the ritzy neighborhood a little safer, but the route from the stop to his campus was much more direct. Not being harassed for money that he couldn’t even pretend he owned, didn’t hurt matters either.

Throwing his bag over his shoulder, Tristan began his journey. He liked to take in the scenery on the walk, something that he could only do when he was running on-time. Tristan’s walk slowed as he noted the traffic up ahead. Traffic wasn’t foreign in the wealthier part of town, but it was a little odd on the sidewalk. Though he’d been listening to the police radio with Zander the night prior, he was a little surprised that there was still so much commotion in front of the concert hall. Noticing that the street was closed from the hall on, Tristan hustled across the street, wondering if he’d be able to get directions or perhaps a cab from the nearby hotel.

As Tristan began navigating the sidewalk opposite the concert hall, a burst of commotion sounded from the nearby coffee shop. There, the violinist who had been on scene at the assassination hurriedly backed out of the open door, slamming it behind her to prevent the photojournalist within from following her out. When she turned around to make a swift and graceful escape, she instead smacked into Tristan, sending the fashionable shades down to the sidewalk. She just barely managed to avoid taking a spill onto the sidewalk as well, and was quick to retrieve the frames. Only then did she realize that she had actually hit another person, and turned green, crystalline eyes towards Tristan with a sheepish expression.

“My apologies,” she responded, her voice fluid if a little nervous. Pulling on the lapels of her expensive black cardigan, she tugged it closed to conceal that she hadn’t bothered to change out of her sleepwear from the night before. Then, she extended a graceful hand towards him to complete the gesture.

Tristan’s eyes widened as he felt his rear hit the ground. It was more the shock of falling than anything else--as a young adult, falling always seemed so unexpected. More confusing than the fall was how it had happened. As he looked up at the extended hand, he safely assumed that it had something to do with the woman in front of him, though he didn’t know if she was the one who was at fault.

“Uh…” Tristan didn’t know what to say first--his mind was racing. He looked up to the woman’s face after she apologized, but his gaze was fixated on her eyes. They were such an interesting shade of green, one that he’d never seen in real life. To be perfectly honest, the rest of her was certainly worth a quick glance as well. Tristan was far too and he knew that she was way out of his league, he could just imagine Zander ribbing him for even thinking of doing much of anything with the woman in front of him. Still, Tristan was an artist through and through, and as an artist, he knew a good muse when he saw one.

Taking the hand that she’d extended toward him, Tristan got to his feet and brushed himself off. Moving his bag off of his shoulder, he held up the index finger on his free hand, “Miss, just a minute. Can I take your picture?” He didn’t want to look up from his bag as he dug out his cellphone, sure that her expression would be rightfully perplexed. Quickly, Tristan added, “This isn’t some sort of weird ploy or pickup, I just...I’m an artist. Your eyes are a really unique shade of green, one that’s going to be pretty challenging to match.” He grinned sheepishly, fitting his bag back on his shoulder, “I’m curious about whether I’d be able to get them right.”

When Tristan asked if he could take her picture, the woman glanced nervously at the door to the coffee shop. The journalist therein was watching her carefully, maybe even witnessing a story unfold right in front of him. Then, she turned back to Tristan, who was as gainless as he was unusual. “An artist?” She supposed that could explain why he was so strange. Many artists tended to be cut from a different cloth. Yet, she didn’t fully believe his explanation of why he wanted her photo. Members of the media had been hounding her all night. “Didn’t you see The Morning Herald this morning? I’m on the front page. There’s a color photo there, if you like.”

Clearly perturbed by the idea of more press, she unfolded the frames of her sunglasses and put them back over her face. Oversized, they concealed not only the color of her eyes, but also a large portion of her face. She took one more look at the man inside the coffee shop, and he held up his camera, displaying the lens that had cracked when she had slammed the door. She raised her fist at him and yelled, “I should have broken your nose instead! Leave me alone!”

Seeing a nearby vendor, she stalked over to it and paid cash for a copy of the periodical, then promptly brought it back to Tristan. Sure enough, Syra Noskova’s photo was emblazoned on the front as being a pseudo-celebrity who happened to be on-site at the assassination the night before. She rolled it up and handed it to him stiffly. “Here. Now I have to find somewhere else to go get coffee because this asshole won’t leave me alone.”

Her reply caught him off guard. Tristan hadn’t expected her to give him permission to use her photo in such a roundabout way. He supposed that it would be best for him to thank her and be on his way, but now he was curious about why she was in The Morning Herald. His curiosity was piqued when she looked at the man in the coffee shop. Following her gaze, Tristan noted the man’s raised camera and her surprising, though warranted response. If he had been a little more, well anything, Tristan might have blocked the camera from getting the young woman’s picture. Instead, he stood there, like a well-made statue, watching the scene unfold before him.

Tristan snapped out of his daze when he realized that the woman was walking away. Perhaps he should have been more engaging, helpful--the list went on. Lost in his thoughts, he came to when he felt something in his hand; the woman had returned with a copy of The Morning Herald. “Oh, um, wow. Okay. Thank you. I thought I’d scared you off, but this is very kind of you.” He unrolled the paper, with a slight, nervous smile, wondering if she was actually featured or if she was trying to blow him off, “It seems that I’m dealing with a local celebrity.” Even though he was fairly picky about using other people's pictures, the photographer had done the young woman justice--the lighting was a lot better than his camera phone could manage, as was the quality of the image; he’d definitely be able to produce a nice sketch from the photo.

“Thank you...um, did you mention that you need another coffee place?” Tristan didn’t know why he was feeling so bold--generally speaking, he didn’t go out of his way to make conversations with others. He supposed that he owed the woman for buying him a copy of the paper. “I don’t know how far you’re willing to go, but you’re going to run into a ton of camera out here in the wealthier part of town. I’m actually on my way toward the art school.” Since most residents didn’t know anything about the mediocre art school or its whereabouts, Tristan put in, “It’s in the center of town and there are far too many people for you to stand out…” he wondered if telling an attractive person that they wouldn’t stand out was an insult.

Still ruffled from the experience with the photographer, Syra’s fuse was a bit short. She didn’t exactly intend to take it out on Tristan, though she did refute things he was saying with a trifle more sarcasm than was probably warranted. “I’m a concert violinist who gets on stage in front of thousands of gawkers every week. Why would you scare me? And I’m not a local celebrity, exactly. At least, I wasn’t, until the events of last night.” She tugged her cardigan a little bit tighter around her, though the gesture was more defensive against passersby than it was against the cold.

Her lips curled up in a tiny, almost wicked smile. His suggestion was so quaint, but adventurous all the same. “You’re telling me there aren’t a lot of cameras at the local art school?” She got another good look around the place and decided she really didn’t want to be on these streets. “I will have to go back to my room and get dressed. It’s part of my contractual agreement with my agent. I shouldn’t even be out and about looking like this.” She made a gesture that encompassed the entirety of her appearance from head to toe. As a performer whose livelihood depended exclusively on the pockets of the wealthy, she wasn’t some Hollywood celebrity who could get away with slapdash looks.

“Anyway, if the offer still stands, I could go and get dressed right now. However, I do believe it is customary to know the name of the gentleman who is whisking me away to places unknown.” She held her hand out again, this time in a gesture of proper acquaintance. “As you may have noticed, I am Syra Noskova.”

Tristan noted her smile and couldn’t help smiling himself. He almost wished that he had taken a picture of her on his own. Though he was fine with the one in the newspaper, he might have been able to get her to smile if he’d taken one on his own. “Yeah, there’s never much going on there that the media wants to capture. I mean, it’s almost impossible to get them down there when we host award shows and actually important events; we don’t exactly make for great news.” When she mentioned her plan to get ready to go, Tristan nodded in agreement. “That sounds like a good idea. Oh, and I don’t know how long you want to stay low down there, but I know we have practice rooms and stuff...since you said that you’re a concert violinist and all. You’re also welcome to go to the Fine Arts cafe and get a coffee; I owe you for the newspaper. Or, I mean, you’re an adult, you can do whatever you want. I guess” he chuckled nervously, realizing that he was rambling, “I’ll stop talking now.”

Tristan’s face reddened with embarrassment. He had been so focused on her eyes and then the photographer and the newspaper, he hadn’t even bothered to give her his name. And of course, though he’d read hers in the paper, hers sounded far more interesting and exotic than his. “Right, I’m so sorry, I didn’t even think...I’m Tristan McCormac” he took her hand. “It’s nice to meet you, despite the strange circumstances. I’ll wait for you down here.” Now knowing the woman’s name, Tristan felt a little bit more comfortable making jokes. Inclining his head toward the photographer, he added, “If you want, I can have a nice man to man talk with your biggest fan over there.” In all honesty, Tristan knew that Syra was probably much more capable of protecting herself than he would have been.

“I would just think there would be photography students at an art school, and therefore, cameras.” Had she not put the almost impenetrably black frames on her face, Tristan would have seen her eyes spark with a playful brilliance. After all the endless nights of concertos and all the days of ceaseless practice, the events of the previous night provided a much needed excuse for time off. “I’ve no need for practice now, Tristan. I have a penthouse suite in my hotel room so I can practice until my hands cramp and my fingers bleed. You may speak to our photographer friend here if you wish, but the last thing I need is a scandal. I will come around to the back entrance of the hotel momentarily.” With that, she disengaged her hand and entered into the glass doors which were so reflective as to be opaque from the outside.

When she came back down, she was much more presentable by PR standards. Her slender frame was silhouetted in a mid-thigh length maroon dress, black leggings, and mid-calf riding boots. It wasn’t overly pretentious, but of higher standards than most of the denizens of the art school were likely to have. The only part of her ensemble that really spoke of opulence was the strikingly black dust coat that overlaid everything else and enhanced the golden tumble of hair down past her shoulders. She wore no jewelry but for an understated gold chain around her neck that glittered in the soft autumn sunlight. “Tristan? I’m back. I hope I haven’t kept you from any important classes…”

Tristan's cheeks reddened. He had been so wrapped up in wanting the young woman to come along with him, he hadn't realized that she had a point about the photography students. "Ah, yes, well" he decided to let the matter drop. Luckily for Syra, the photography students were either constantly in labs or taking candid shots about town. Hearing his name drew Tristan out of his own thoughts. He liked the way that she said it, though he would have been unable to explain what made Syra's pronunciation of his name different from anyone else's. Normally, he would have rolled his eyes at the mention of a penthouse, but Syra made the prospect seem fascinating. He watched her go back through the glass doors before moving toward the back entrance. Feeling that he owed the photographer some sort of warning, Tristan glared at the other male on his way to the other side of the hotel. He didn't think a mean gaze on his part had any impact, but he felt good nonetheless.

It was obvious from the hotel's clientele that Tristan didn't belong. Though he stood awkwardly outside of the door, looking at his cellphone, he couldn't help noticing the stares of the workers who passed him. He was pleased when he saw Syra come outside--doubly so when he saw her attire. There was something about how polished and modern her outfit looked that made him feel under-dressed and out of his element.

The mention of classes caused the young male's face to become pale. His whole quest to near the hotel and find an alternative route to the art school had been in an effort to get to his class on time. Looking down at his cell phone, Tristan realized that he was already running late--it wasn't likely that he was going to arrive in the next few minutes either. "Aw Hell" he sighed, shaking his head, "I should have known that I was forgetting about something." Still, things weren't all bad. Being late would allow him the chance to spend more time with Syra. He had never before befriended someone who stayed in penthouse suites, and he doubted that he was going to have an opportunity like this again. "Well, let's get going, I guess. I had planned on giving you a nice, leisurely guided tour of the less wealthy parts of town, but we might have to pick up the pace a bit. With any luck, I might still be able to make my class." It wasn't exactly a priority for him at this point, but with his grades, it wouldn't hurt to show up every now and again. "If not, I owe you a coffee anyway."

Although she wasn't exactly familiar with the surroundings outside of their current block and a few others nearby, Syra matched Tristan's pace with with confidence that was dignified rather than haughty. There was no trepidation in her behavior, though perhaps a trifle of shyness born from a life of ingrained mannerisms that danced the line between politeness and passivity. She wasn't typically one that went out of her way to start a conversation, though knocking Tristan to the ground had warranted it in this case. In any case, he seemed sweet, non-threatening, and unimposing. He hadn't even inquired about what had happened the previous night, since her face was apparently already all over the news. Maybe he just didn't care about contrived things such as status. That made the interaction refreshing. Besides, if she looked at him in the right light, he was even a little adorable, which didn't hurt matters any. Syra found herself giggling when Tristan suddenly realized that he was running behind schedule. "Mind of an artist, hmm? I know the type. You spend all day thinking of colors and forms, but you probably don't even remember what color socks you wore this morning."

She definitely got weird looks when they were on the street, though they mostly came from the type who wondered what someone of her breeding was doing around someone like him. She knew the look well, having grown up in a family equal in both wealth and cold indifference. Behind her shades, she scrutinized the onlookers, but showed no outward acknowledgment.

Her lips curled into a tight, sarcastic smirk. "Are you always so carefree about truancy? Is this what you like to do for fun?" Having just survived a 'trauma' the night before, she had uncharacteristic free time and had been excused from practice and exhibition for an indeterminate length of time. She hardly knew what to do with herself, which she supposed was why she was so easily whisked away.

"Well, you're not wrong" he chuckled when she mentioned the artist mind bit--he'd gotten a lot of that from his family and friends. Curiosity overcame him and he paused to look at his feet. "On both accounts--I didn't even realize I was wearing socks this morning. I woke up late and just starting running around like a headless chicken." Tristan didn't know if comparing himself to a headless bird was the best way to develop conversation with someone like Syra, but he'd been himself so far and it seemed to be working out in his favor. "To be fair, last night was a little unorthodox, all around." That was the most he wanted to say relating to Senator Wheldon's death. He still wasn't sure what to make of it, but he hardly thought it was the sort of conversation that Syra needed at the moment. Instead, he lamely finished, "I was up a lot later than usual, dealing with a bunch of dumb crap, and I decided to sleep in."

"Well, not when it comes to work. I try not to piss off the people who are paying me, but with the art classes, I don't know. Something about them expecting everyone to prescribe to the same schedule bugs me. I've got a bunch of crap to do outside of art--I can't just draw all day. Art school isn't exactly cheap." He went to apologize about being so negative, but he had already been so apologetic; if he kept this up, he feared that he would seem even more like a wuss.

When she asked about what he liked to do for fun, Tristan immediately ended his rant and changed gears. This was the sort of conversation he loved having--as scatterbrained as he was, he was passionate about so many things...one of the many reasons he struggled so much with money. "Truancy seems more like a habit than a hobby for me, but the art, taking adventures around town--those things are definitely me. I also work at a joke and magic shop." At this point, Tristan wasn't going to pretend that he had cool hobbies. The looks they'd gotten on the street more than indicated that Tristan didn't exactly fit in. "I could never see magic being a career, but it's a fun hobby--selling stuff to other people seemed like a good way to bring magic into my life. What about you?" At this point, Tristan had slowed down his pace, both because he was nearing campus and he knew he wasn't going to make his class. "What do you do for fun? Anything related to your music career doesn't count."

Syra listened intently to Tristan as he spoke about things such as work (and the motivations therein), school (and the financial aspect of it), and leisure (and how it interrelated with his truant nature and free spirit). He was the type that her family would have called lazy and unmotivated, but he really just seemed like somebody who knew what he wanted from life, and what he wanted was to not be pinned down by one particular facet of life. Also, his desires did not correlate with societal expectations. She couldn't say whether or not his means of existence was naive and misguided; she wasn't in a position to judge him. If he was happy, then maybe that was all that mattered. Despite herself, she found herself coiling with a tinge of envy. Could she just put aside her way of existence to pursue true happiness? In the end, she wasn't so sure.

"I...can't remember the last time I really had fun," she admitted after a bit of hesitation. "Work and travel takes up so much of my time. Between that and practice, I put in nearly sixteen hour days. I've been granted some leave to help me process the 'trauma' of last night. I haven't had a day off like this for months. All the media attention isn't the best way to cope." Licking her lips, she showed the first bit of discomfort prevailing above the night's events, though she didn't discuss it further. During the blackout, she had been unconscious, and awoke to a whirlwind of chaos. That's what the newspapers read, and that was the unwavering opinion that the authorities and witnesses had adopted. Yet still, more unsavory sources were already skeptical. That was just how the rumor mill worked.

When crossing the threshold of the campus, the stares seemed less oppressive than they had on the street. Descending out of seemingly nowhere, Zander came up behind Tristan just as they were about to make their way inside the campus coffee shop. His eyes bugged out of his skull at seeing the woman who was with the most romantically gainless person that he knew. Once Syra's order was placed and she waited to the side for the drink to be made, Zander pulled Tristan aside with exaggerated movements of his arms. "Dude, what the hell? Don't you know who that is?" Zander was a music major, and though his own style was much more experimental than classical, he kept up on the events of the local concert hall and oftentimes pretended like he knew everyone in the business. "You are not putting the moves on Syra Noskova. How'd you get a girl like that to come to a place like this?"

Although he hadn't intended on making such an expression, Tristan's face, for just a moment, held a pitying look. He quickly turned away from Syra, afraid that she might have thought that he was being condescending. That was hardly the case; Tristan wasn't able to look down on insects effectively, but he couldn't imagine doing anything that he didn't enjoy. "Travel sounds lovely" he put in, trying to make up for the gaze he'd given her moments before. When the young artist thought of travel, he thought of venturing off to far-away, beautiful places, leisurely taking in the sights. He had the sneaking suspicion that travel for someone like Syra looked very different. "You should make up a list of things you would do if you had time off" Tristan ventured, deciding to drop the travel conversation altogether. "You'd wanted a coffee, so that's one thing you've already accomplished. I know the circumstances are tragic, but death always makes me think more about my own humanity."

Apologetically, Tristan waved to Syra, mouthing that he would be right back. He didn't know if she could read lips, their conversation hadn't gotten that far, but he welcomed Zander's interruption all the same; making a good impression with a new person, especially someone as high profile as Syra Nosokova, was a lot of pressure for one art student to handle alone.

Tristan's face flushed; at this point, it would have been fair for Syra to assume that red was his natural coloring. As glad as he was to see Zander, he wished that the male hadn't brought up the importance of Tristan's guest. He was nervous enough around females without the other male's help. Still, there was something about her being from an entirely different world that made her more fascinating than intimidating. "Well...I don't think I'm putting any moves on anyone. And if I am, I wouldn't say that they're good moves." He glanced over his shoulder at her as if he wanted to make sure that this whole morning hadn't been made up. Perhaps being caught in the whirlwind of the morning had made Tristan unaware of how truly out of place he looked with Syra. He wouldn't have flinched seeing someone like her in one of their textbooks or portraits for study...had he really been walking with her the whole time? "We ran into one another. I'm not sure who ran into who exactly." His eyes were locked on his roommate as he tried to get rid of some of his embarrassment. "I was trying to get to the main bus stop and..." Tristan interrupted himself. He had a habit of sharing the details that no one really cared about while neglecting the more interesting bits. "She had an issue with photographers, so I told her to come here." Looking from Syra to Zander, Tristan wondered if his friend would perhaps be able to entertain the well-known musician. Tristan couldn't exactly tell if his quirks were coming across as more endearing or more aggravating. "Do you wanna come meet her? I feel bad that I don't really know who she is...and I really don't want her to think that I'm trying to hit on her or anything."

"Travel is lovely," Syra admitted, almost like a reflex. Similar to how people would say things like, 'I love my job. I love working with people,' even when their job consisted of folding pants at the nearest Banana Republic. Sure, travel was lovely, if you got to experience it outside of a hotel suite. I've been to Paris, and I've never been to the Eiffel Tower. Still, it was a beautiful view from the window.

She offered Tristan a tiny smile for his notions about death. With what she had heard about Senator Wheldon, not every member of the populace had considered his death to be a tragedy, but a saving grace. Maybe with his head in the clouds, Tristan didn't particularly care one way or another. "Well, it's not as if I knew him or knew much of the, ah, senator. I am here strictly on a work visa, and I try not to get immersed in the politics of this region." And there it was, the origin of her exotic accent. She wasn't from Tristan's country at all, though her English was immaculate, even regal.

"An issue with photographers," Zander replied flatly. Such a response really didn't explain anything. He must have misconstrued the explanation, because the next moment, he muttered under his breath, "What, did some asshole make her look bad on film? Damn, I should have been a photography major." Making two L shapes with his thumbs and index fingers, Zander pretended to frame the woman with both hands, adjusting until she was in the center. Thankfully, she didn't see.

He lowered his hands just in time for her to glance over her shoulder to look at the two of them. She held up a graceful finger to indicate that she would be just a minute, and then she turned around to say something to the barista.

"Let me get this straight," Zander clarified. "You're inviting another guy to come into the scene with someone the likes of her? Because you don't want to seem too aggressive? Tristan, you're the least aggressive man I know. She came with you this far, didn't she? But sure," he conceded with a shrug of his much broader shoulders. "I'll be a third wheel." He waggled his eyebrows, letting them drop just as Syra returned with a large coffee cup that emanated hints of spice.

With a warm smile, she lifted her glasses to the top of her head and glanced between the two roommates. "Tristan, aren't you going to introduce me?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back