• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom In Endless Night ;; 1 x 1 Castlevania RP ;; malfortuna & lucyfer

It seemed like Trevor was not going to get away so easily from his initial reactions of her drinking from her willing friends. Although he found the idea of it disturbing it made the most sense. He scoffed a little in response to her quips, picking up a longer stick in order to move some of the logs of the fire around. “Not really. I have seen my fair share of vampires drinking from humans, both willing and unwilling. More often for bloodsport these than not. If that is what you need to do, then do not suffer fatigue on my account,” though she very well could still choose to wait if she so wished.

There were plenty of other things to be concerned about beyond her feeding or not. In just a matter of days Trevor had found his world being turned dramatically on its axis. He held the company of creatures that his family raised him to kill without a second thought. More surprisingly, they were capable of having conversations without the concern of driving a weapon or fangs into one another afterward. He could hear his father’s voice in the back of his mind, warning that vampires were cunning and would lie and cheat in order to lure prey in. He had to wonder if Lucia held some of the same reservations, looking back over to her as her two nightmares finally had something to nibble on rather than pestering those around the fire.

With this in mind, he sat up slightly and looked to Lucia a bit more seriously, “I understand you have a history with Alucard but what’s your reasoning behind fighting against Dracula rather than joining him? I would assume Dracula plunging the world into eternal night would be advantageous to you. Going against him means making enemies of most of your own kind, does it?”

“Somehow I do not doubt you,” Jillian responded nonchalantly as they walked forward. So far it seemed he was all talk and a bit of a bumbling mess but she knew better than to judge a book by its cover. One could not come over-prepared for a deadly fight when it came to medicine and bandages, however.

“My form is of a very large wolf for the most part. I’m afraid this situation does not call for it, so feel free to wait with bated breath for the big reveal later,” she joked slightly as she surveyed which directions the grass bent in. She looked back at him, a bit amused at such a simple question, “Well, rabbits typically do not leave their homes this late, so we will have to give them reason to come out. We can create snags where the rabbits tend to run and draw them out with a loud noise coming from the opposite direction. It should be enough to draw them out into our traps, in theory.”

At this, she reached for some thicker sticks and began to start creating a snag by pushing two sticks that forked on one end into the ground and wedged a stick across between the two in the center. Reaching into one of the bags on her hip, she withdrew some coiled string and snapped a couple of smaller strings from it, offering Alucard one. “I was not the hunting sort growing up, though. I learned this much from my brother. I was more for books and developing peculiar ideas. I was probably on my way to being driven out of the village eventually had I been changed or not.”

Lucia didn’t play with her food. It wasn’t bloodsport, and while she could call Danica away from meal prep, she did not. She did, however, slide down the tree so she was sitting, a bit more comfortable. A bit more obvious that she was tired, but nonetheless – comfortable.

She wasn’t waiting for the Hunter to do something foolish.

“You are aware Dracula is planning genocide, aren’t you? That would eliminate my food source. Joining Dracula would be a slow suicide, it’s hardly my fault others of my kin don’t see that’s what Dracula is doing to himself in his grief.” He would also suffer, and Lucia doubted he’d retain his life feeding on animals.

He’d just…let go.

“I do not respect the kin that would join him. They view humanity as little more than cattle, at best, pets, and do not see we need humanity,” not just as food, “Vampires get…stuck without humanity,” she sighed, “Godbrand is one such shining example of a man who can’t leave his past behind. He wouldn’t understand the concept of plumbing and using animals to plow fields if you showed him it in excruciating detail.”

Lucia shut her eyes, “You humans create more than vampires in a decade, than we do in a century.” Not necessarily big things, but little things. New languages, new fashion, new music – it was a never-ending whirlwind of new. Even if Dracula had technology and magic to rival any civilization, it had not come fast, and even that hit stalls of progress. He’d done so much more, in the time he knew Lisa, too.

All for naught, now.

~***~

A large wolf indeed. Alucard wouldn’t ask her to transform and show him, he doubted it felt very good based on her envy of his shifting abilities, so he just chuckled, “I trust your description.” He would no doubt see it when they came upon Dracula, or any night creatures that wanted to stand in their way.

He did wonder if things would change on that front with Lucia now in the party. Would they not look too close at who she traveled with? Would they let them all pass by? He was hoping for it, although he doubted it would be the case.

An extra cart would cause some alarm.

It seemed, though, rabbits would not be caught by digging. Snares, and scaring, were the methods, and Alucard watched her make the first snare, before following suit, and accepting the string that was offered, helping to line the path around the burrow in snares so they would catch some rabbits.

“Peculiar ideas?” Alucard arched a brow as he laid the last snare in place, “What would you consider peculiar?”

Trevor would have said something smart back to her in regards too Dracula’s genocide because of course he was aware. Lucia continued to speak and so he closed his mouth and watched her closely instead. By the end, he had found that his head had been gradually tilting so much that it had almost pressed into his shoulder. “And they are not thinking of the long term and keeping enough humans alive to reproduce. Everyone needs to be dead,” he almost muttered under his breath. She had a point, it would be a slow suicide. Dracula was about to take a majority of the world along with him to Hell.

He fell into a silence. It was not like the heavy stillness of mistrust from before, but moreso of genuine thoughtfulness as he considered her words. “...Well,” he finished moving the logs of the fire around, but kept hold of his stick as he focused his gaze back onto the fire, “It is not like you and your kind wouldn’t have been able to do those things too if we had only gone about it all differently…” But the world was not so kind. Vampires were an immortal concept. They had been preying upon humans because they had to in order to live. There were probably very few who ever thought of going about feeding the way Lucia was now.

“Unfortunately for our lot, the people in charge do not enjoy things changing too well, do they?” When he looked up again, he seemed to have a slight smirk on his lips. It was subtle but present. “Perhaps I do need to shut my mouth. I am just as damned by the church as you are. But unlike the church, we’re going to do something for the people. We can at least take that notion and tell them to stick it somewhere.”

Jillian gave a slight smile at his response. She too was thinking about the consequences of traveling within this group. She had managed to attract attention to them back in the village but there was also the matter of the alpha werewolf who had changed her trying to come and find her. If he did, that may mean bringing his whole pack with him. They did not fight for Dracula but they certainly would be willing to fight the lot of them if she refused to return. She could only hope quietly that it would not come to that. Not until this was over.

Once the snares were set up, Jillian reached over and plucked a blade of tall grass and stood up. Straightening, she seemed to brush whatever dust she collected off the front of her. “My peculiar ideas? …Hm,” she slowly walked around the burrow hole, looking down at it. “...You know, I do not believe someone has out right asked me like that before,” she chuckled a bit shyly. “Well, for a start, if god is the creator of everything, why are those who study the world and try to make it better through new ideas or inventions condemned as heretics? Wouldn’t God have created those people as well? We should be working at understanding rather than remaining fearful of the unknown.” She wasn’t certain if she made much sense. She positioned the blade of grass between her thumbs and side of her palms, leaving a small hole open with the grass in the center drawn taught. “For example. One wouldn’t have known you could use a blade of grass to create a loud whistle if not for the fact one day someone tried,” she put her hands together and then placed her hands up to her mouth and blew hard. A shrill whistling sound rang out and a short moment later, four rabbits scrambled out of their hole. Two got away while two others got caught in the snares they had made.

Was Trevor trying to give vampires credit? Lucia opened her eyes and shook her head at the attempt. She was only too aware by now of how unlikely it was that vampires would ever change, without outside motivation. Humans were that motivation. Their own innovativeness was spurred by their shorter lives, and concern for future generations.

Vampires didn’t have that. Most would prefer things settle into a comfortable routine, since they were so far from the world they had grown up in. Many even tried to claim that by isolating in large homes. She easily could have turned Chernihov into such a haven, and forced people to live in outdated ways to serve her whims.

She wouldn’t.

And she wouldn’t correct Trevor, either. It was better for him to humanize vampires, after all. “The Church never does get things right. I truly did think you Belmonts gone. How many others of you are left?” she didn’t assume him the only one. He seemed too young for that, so certainly, there had to be others.

She did catch the warning look from Sypha, though.

~***~

Alucard wasn’t much for theological debates. His father had exhausted him of it even before Lisa was dead, always irritated with how humanity couldn’t see her gifts as anything but witchcraft. Alucard did understand, though. ‘People have free will to do evil, and so they have free will to choose to bring evil into the world.’ Any discovery that displeased those in power was, of course, evil.

His expression grew somber.

The whistle didn’t even bring the mood back up, as two rabbits ended up caught in the snares. Alucard was quick to move to snap their necks, and stop their struggling. “Those certainly are not popular thoughts, but they’re not peculiar,” Alucard said, “theologians have been discussing the concept for ages, from Thomas Aquinas to Moses ben Maimon. People always try to understand how an omnipotent and benign god could have a world with such evil in it.”

He shook his head.

“But as to an answer…God created people, but not their actions, nor what they could bring into the world. Some bring good. Some bring evil. It’s the cost of free will, and most people cannot see that it is how a thing is used that is good or evil, not the thing itself.” He pulled the rabbits from the snares and straightened up with their ‘catch’.

Trveor caught the shake of Lucia’s head and it only proved to deepen the grin on his face. “I see. Well, that was me trying to look on the brighter side,” it was his sad attempt at a joke, his grin still present. It was Lucia’s turn to finally ask a question and she didn’t waste any time getting to the point. At that his eyes seemed to grow heavier. Sypha meant well by looking at Lucia for it always did seem like a sore spot to bring up for the last remaining Belmont but by now it was a tale he was starting to get used to recalling.

“You are right about one of those things. The church never does get it right,” he sighed a little and pressed a hand up through his bangs. “The family was excommunicated from the Church once the belief that we were dealing in dark arts was spread. We were no longer heroes who chased back the terrors of the night and instead made deals with them. We were exiled and massacred by the church. I was the only one who managed to make it out alive at the end of it all.” there was honestly not much more to tell other than that. A simple, sad story fit for a sad, simple man such as him.

He looked back to Lucia, Danica and Johann though and lifted his chin slightly, “We were stopping on our way to the old Belmont hold, my family’s estate. We’re hoping somewhere within there is a hint of how to defeat Dracula. I believe the likelihood of it still being sealed is high although the last I saw of the family home, it had… seen better days.” He had no idea what shape it would be in now. He was certain what had been left of the ruins had long been picked over by robbers. He couldn’t say he was thrilled to return to see it, but it was necessary.

“Oh?” Jillian wondered aloud as she dropped her hands and discarded the blade of grass. She took notice of his expression, dark and brooding. She thought she had perhaps said something wrong, though he continued to reply. She kneeled down to undo the snares that had not worked as they probably had enough meat for their group back at camp. She gave careful thought to what she might say in return. “I understand what you say. The world is both beautiful and cruel. To be able to make those choices for ourselves, though… is a precious thing.” For she knew what it was like when someone took that free will away and just how hopeless it all felt when she had to live a life she did not ask to have.

Ah. Here she was also beginning to feel the pull of melancholy. She looked back down amongst the brush, catching the smell of something and she knelt down again. “Ah, look, this is what we need. Rosemary,” she replied more brightly, attempting to cut through the mood they had created for themselves. She reached out and began to pick a few sprigs, not looking back at him before more quietly adding, “...Thank you. I know there is not much else I could say for what has happened or what will happen from here on out. But for now, thank you for coming with me,” she stood up and turned to face him with a small yet sincere smile. “We should be getting back?”

Either the Belmonts all lived in the same place, or Trevor already knew the Church had gotten to other branches of his family. If someone had survived, he knew nothing of it, lending credence to his belief that they were all, indeed, dead. All for a rumor of using black magic to deal with the monsters of the night.

And they were heading to that ruined home. ‘This…can’t be easy for you.’ That went without saying, and much like Alucard, there was no time to deal with that, either. They had to get right to work. There wouldn’t be time to dwell, and reflect on happier memories, with genocide of the human race looming large.

“Can’t Dracula be killed like any other vampire?” Danica wondered aloud.

“He can,” Lucia confirmed, “but with his moving castle, he’s not exactly easy to get to. I believe that’s what kept the Belmonts busy for so many centuries,” Lucia didn’t move around, but she was too far east for them to be a large threat to her life, while they were busy pursuing Dracula above all others. “My only advantage was that he didn’t know I was a foe. Once he learns that, he can hop his castle away every time we get near.”

But if they could halt that, they stood a chance. ‘That’s why the prophecy has a magician.’ Sypha seemed busy in her work, too busy to notice Lucia’s glance.

She wouldn’t draw attention to it.

“What lies should I expect in your home, Belmont?” she said it a bit teasingly, “what were you taught about vampires?” she cocked a crooked grin, one fang revealed. It kept the subject a bit nostalgic, but without too much sorrow. A decent way to start to bring him back home, bit by bit, until they were there.

~***~

Alucard nodded at the rosemary that was found, hearing the other bits. It was a precious thing to have choice. Dracula had the choice to be this way – just as Alucard had the choice to oppose him. Just as Lisa made her choice to be with Dracula, and the church decided to burn her for helping people.

One day, he had to hope the world would be a better place.

It would embrace Lisa’s teachings.

But that wasn’t today. He did hum at the gratitude, "There's no need for it," he said, "it was not unpleasant venturing out. Besides," he cracked a joke, "even I need to get away from Trevor's dreary scent."

With only two rabbits, and six people to feed, though, he cocked his head, “Do you really think this is enough for all of us?” he knew Lucia wouldn’t eat, and he assumed the nightmares were taken care of. He wasn’t sure how much meat a rabbit really had, but they didn’t weigh much. “I know they’re working on a stew but this seems…light, for six people.”

He'd leave it to her judgment, of course.

Perhaps he had worn his emotions on his expression so much so that Lucia had taken notice of it and tried to pull back on the mood of the subject. It was a bit surprising considering just moments ago he had been hurling slight accusations in her direction. Often referred to as a purge, the Belmonts were hunted down throughout the land as far as he knew and he was now the only one. It continued to cause him trouble to this day, thus the low profile he often tried to keep despite finding it too difficult to let go of the family crest which he still wore on his clothing. “Ha. Should I really be giving up the family secrets to the likes of you?” He could not help but to quip in return. Thankfully this was more in jest than anything. Sypha found herself softly smiling as she poured water into a pot to begin boiling some of the vegetables that may take longer to cook.

He repositioned himself to sit more comfortably upon his bed roll and looked between Danica and Lucia then before continuing, “Lucia is correct. A stake to the heart would kill him as any other vampire. Of course the bastard isn’t going to just let us walk right up to him and do it.” He cocked his head and looked over to Lucia then, that same sly smirk appearing at his lips, “We won’t be going in and tossing strings of garlic and holy water at the likes of him. The family once had a trove of specialized weapons used in combat but I believe they would have been confiscated if they were found,” he reached down to his hip and patted his whip once. “...But perhaps you can confirm or deny one thing for me,” he paused, as if for dramatic effect, “Do you really have to be invited inside someone’s home? Seeing as armies are now laying waste to whole towns, it doesn’t seem so much of a problem unless you are choosing to go through the front door, now, does it?” It was a joke, but he appreciated the swift change in subject regardless.

Jillian could not help but to laugh softly as Alucard mentioned getting away from Trevor’s smell. “Dreary, that is a good way to put it,” she relented as she carefully opened her bag to place the herbs within so they would not be crushed. “You did not hear it from me but in comparison to some of the other werewolves I have traveled with, his smell is near tolerable. That does not mean the man couldn’t do with a clean up.” She closed one eye, a bit of a cheeky wink as she joined his side and looked down at the two rabbits they had caught, humming thoughtfully. Thinking about how many humans they had, perhaps adding a third would not hurt. She side-stepped from him and seemed to be looking around among the bunches of tall grass.

Jillian focused her gaze upon one bush in particular and she raised her hand. It happened in an instant: In a quick and fluid motion, she was crouched on the ground, a little yelp being heard from the bush. She had lunged and knelt down, snagging up one of the rabbits that had previously gotten away. Standing back up, gave it a quick and merciful end by snapping the neck. “This should do,” she spoke once again, turning around to face him again. “And if I can say…” She managed the same small smile, “Your smell is not bad. Intriguing but not one I would turn my nose up to,” she softly teased before she began to walk.

The mood shifted easily enough. Trevor didn’t care to dwell on the matter of death, which was no surprise. It was his family, and even if it had been years ago, something told Lucia he hadn’t exactly adapted. Hard to do so when being hunted, and unable to trust other humans, no doubt. Not to mention having made an enemy of every sort of ‘monster’ in the world. The Belmonts weren’t popular.

It seemed there was one thing he wasn’t sure of – probably didn’t have a home to test it. Lucia chuckled at the query, “That is one lie we like to maintain, but no – we don’t need an invitation to enter a home,” she said.

“Wait—you told me that the reason you could enter any home in Chernihiv was because you owned the land!” Johann looked up, startled.

Lucia gave a small shrug, “I was wondering how long it would take for you to figure it out,” but Lucia did play with that illusion of needing to be invited at times, when it suited her to give people that sense of security, false or otherwise.

Johann flushed in embarrassment and grumbled a complaint in German that Lucia could barely pick up on, but she didn’t call him on it, just let him pretend for a moment she didn’t understand.

~***~

Alucard honestly wasn’t surprised. Not all werewolves remembered they were once human, and took to the wolf thing worse than wolves took to it. Most wolves smelled better than the supernatural counterpart. “I’m not sure when the last time was that Trevor washed his clothes, let alone bathed,” sure, he and Sypha found time for such, and Trevor claimed he did much the same, but Alucard doubted it.

That, or Trevor was very bad at both things, which also wouldn’t exactly surprise Alucard.

“We had hoped to make use of your town for as much,” Alucard sighed, “we thought maybe an actual bath would spare us all, but it seems we are not so lucky,” he shook his head, the bit of a joke curling his lips, even if it wasn’t really a joke, either.

A third rabbit was caught, hopefully enough for all of them now, and he nodded approval at the quick dispatch.

But he was a bit caught off guard at the comment of his own smell. How did he respond to that? Well, he knew the polite way was to just accept it, but he didn’t really…well, feel that was right. He certainly wasn’t as clean as he used to be, and if Trevor oozed dreariness, he knew he wasn’t much better. “I reek of death and the road, you don’t have to falsely flatter me,” Alucard returned, “or let Trevor’s scent blind you to sanity.”

It was rude to dismiss a compliment, he knew. And he felt a bit bad for it after it was said, so he sighed, “Apologies. I appreciate what you are trying to do,” but a lie of his scent when he was road-weary and likely had sweated through this coat more than once? He didn’t need that. "Everyone is going to be pleased with the food you have found," he shifted.

It would seem that the matter of having to be invited in or not varied from moment to moment which somehow did not surprise Trevor. “Oh, enter any home like you owned the place?” Trevor questioned, amusement in his voice as the other hunter seemed taken aback by this new revelation. One had to wonder which of the two men had received the honest answer but he had his suspicions that this was most likely the truth. “At least we know you can put up a decent ruse…” He felt better now that the little jabs were directed at someone else other than himself. He chuckled a little to himself. “Though that leads to… so many other questions,” why would she have needed entry to anywhere within Chernihiv? He supposed that both groups had their own myriad of stories that they could tell one another…

However they were interrupted by the sound of grass being crunched beneath foot and he looked over to see Alucard and Jillian returning with their hunting spoils. Ah, rabbit sounded far more appealing than dried jerky for days on end. “No. Unless time spent with Alucard was so unbearable that it felt longer than it really was,” he answered Jillian as she approached, having to get one welcoming quip in before he stood up once again. He figured that someone would need to clean the rabbits for cooking and eating and as he had experience of doing dirty work, he assumed he would play the part. “...You are going to wait all of this time before having a drink?” He paused and asked Lucia as he took the one rabbit from Jillian. “You used your power quite a bit back in the village…”

“I am not going to hear the end of that anytime soon, am I?” Jillian gave a dry chuckle despite the fact that his words proved to make her feel a twinge of guilt once again for having hastily acted upon her assumptions. “Fair enough, however,” she didn’t seem to take offense to it as she waited for him to catch up and fell into stride alongside him, not exactly expecting him to thank her for such strange observations. One did not usually go around and state openly that a person smelled nice. In normal circumstances it would be seen as disturbing. He did not pull back from her words but instead denied them. And then he apologized for doing so, thinking she was lying about the way his scent came off to her.

She grinned instead, “Not the death and the road, silly. Though Trevor still remains quite potent besides,” she lightly replied instead, watching her step ahead as the light glow of the fire came into view. “Though there is also that. Everything has its own unique scent underneath the influences of the environment. One that makes you distinctly… you,” she raised her shoulders slightly, “It is what I noticed at first back in the village. Besides all the dirt and grime you speak of,” she looked back at him, still grinning. “But you beyond all that, just you… not bad.” It was then they arrived back at the camp, discovering that they all seemed to have prepped the rest of their meal and had a chat while they were gone. “Speaking of, we come bearing gifts,” she approached their group with a rabbit in hand. “I hope we have not kept you waiting too long.”

“You’re welcome to ask them, Belmont. I’m an open book,” Lucia offered, meaning it, of course. Sure, she had things she did not like to talk about – who didn’t? – but she’d had centuries to come to grips with them, and centuries to learn that being open was better than being closed off. If Trevor wanted to learn about vampires, or her, she had no problem answering.

The same was true for everyone in the camp, though, as Jillian returned with Alucard, and three rabbits. She made a mental note to consider helping them on a hunting venture next time. Her owl form was rather adapt at it, and didn’t damage the prey too badly.

“You’re just in time!” Sypha said, as Alucard offered the rabbits to Trevor when he so obviously volunteered to help with the next part. Alucard felt a fair bit useless here, but then again, he’d signed up to kill his father, not start fires and clean animals.

At Trevor’s question to Lucia, though, he raised an eyebrow, passing a glance from Trevor, to Lucia, than Sypha, “Did someone hit Trevor over the head?” that was clearly the only answer to why Trevor would be concerned about a vampire feeding.

“No, no,” Lucia said, waving a hand as she continued in an amused tone, “dear Belmont here is like so many other hunters, just desperate to be bit.”

Alucard stifled a snort at that, “Really now? All you had to do was say something, Trevor,” Alucard flashed one of his own fangs, recalling their early, threatening exchanges at the start of their relationship. Obviously, that was not what was going on, but who was he not to dogpile Trevor with teasing?

You’re not a pretty woman, Alucard.”

“But I am pretty?” He asked Sypha.

Sypha nodded sagely, “Yes. Very.”

He let out a mock relieved sigh, as Johann just looked between the three of them as if they were crazy.

Danica added, “She’s not going to drink until I’ve eaten, so don’t worry. It’s not all for your benefit, Trevor,” she chuckled, just a little, at his concern. “She’s not apt to pass out, and so long as we’re not attacked, we’ll manage just fine.”

Trevor went off to the side near one of the carts in order to get to work, making sure that he had situated himself in such a way that they did not have to look at what he was doing as he withdrew a knife from a shorter sheath at his hip and began to work on retrieving the meet from the rabbits. He briefly paused and looked up to Alucard as he made his remarks, looking unamused at the whole bit before he lifted his free hand and stuck his middle finger up to him as his answer before continuing to butcher. “Don’t… Don’t encourage him,” he warned Sypha who just shrugged with her arms crossed, figuring that she was telling the truth and there was nothing wrong with it.

He also took a look at Sypha, realizing what she had said, “It would not be because of that…” He carefully rebuttal. He knew his words could be taken a different number of ways, as in he did not consider Lucia pretty, or perhaps he had considered being changed before. He just shut his mouth and finished with cleaning the rabbits, cutting the meat up into sizable chunks to go into their stew. “My blood would taste like shit. Or so I heard,” Trevor added as he walked over to the fire and set the meat down to be added when needed. “So… what were you doing before Dracula’s army came? A thing which requires you to access all the doors in Chernihiv…?”

Jillian decided to take a seat among the grass as she did not have supplies such as a bedroll with her. In fact, it seemed she had not brought anything else with her unless it were on her very person. She watched in some amusement as Alucard and Trevor exchanged words, likening it to the relationship she once had to her younger brother. She found herself musing over the thought before she heard Sypha’s voice beside her while she worked to add the rest of the ingredients into the stew. “How about you, Jillian? What were you going to do?” Jillian blinked her gray eyes a couple of times as she searched her mind for a good enough answer.

“I believe I had intentions of seeing my old family once more before figuring it out,” Jillian eventually settled. It was not much of a satisfactory answer but she was at the very least answering truthfully. “Before I was changed, there was a sickness which swept through my village. I became ill and was certain to succumb shortly after.” A dying person had no need for planning. She lowered her chin slightly and looked to the fire, the smell of cooking stew starting to permeate the air. Her expression slowly fell, though she did her best to still smile. They were just making small talk, after all, “As you can see, that didn’t turn out the way that I anticipated. It is surprisingly difficult to plan for a future you believe you will never get to experience.”

Lucia enjoyed the way the trio got along. It was evident they hadn’t been together along, but there was still a comfortable dynamic of sorts. Trevor was clearly the one who had to deal with the most abuse, likely because Alucard had too much serious things going on, and no one was going to tease Sypha.

She wondered if Trevor had figured out why he was the butt of the jokes and accepted it, or if he was unaware, but didn’t mind terribly. “You’re not wrong,” Lucia agreed with him on the blood. If he cleaned up his act, maybe it would be worth trying, but she was hardly going to pursue it. It was only a poor joke at his expense, after all.

But it seemed he really had no clue about her. She must not have been in the books of the Belmonts, or else, she wasn’t of concern. “I happen to govern Chernihiv. That comes with the unfortunate duty of collecting taxes, now and then,” she answered, “so occasionally it does require entering homes, though they usually do invite me in,” not that her people knew she was a vampire.

Now and then, there’d be gossip of a ‘daughter’.

And the daughter would bear the same name, per tradition.

And Lucia would rise again to continue ruling. Or she’d use one of her staff to play daughter or son, and then rule behind the scenes for a bit. Human memory was short.

“I was simply governing my home before all of this. That’s all,” not very exciting, but she didn’t try to be.

As she finished, she tuned into Jillian’s answer, noting the bit about family. She couldn’t be too old, then.

“Do you want to see them before we leave?” Alucard asked Jillian, thinking they could at least arrange that much, as Sypha and Danica diced up the vegetables further and added it to the pot to cook up with the meat for their stew. “I am sure we could spare time, if you still wished to do so before we left the area.”

Danica nodded, encouraging it, “Or we can come back after, and make sure to be here for that,” she suggested, “so you don’t have to be alone through it,” it would probably be a difficult thing for her, and even if they were new friends – Danica still hoped it would offer her comfort to be joined by others.

Or if she wanted to be alone, they could be at a distance.

“There will be plenty of time to figure out the future, but not so much time to be with your family,” Danica added.

“Assuming they live.” Alucard stated, and Danica smacked his shoulder for being morose. Clearly he wasn’t a fan of the ‘come back’ idea on the chance they perished.

Last edited:
“Come again?” Trevor said aloud as Lucia answered him, as if she were doing something as simple as telling him the time of the day. It was not as if titles held any sort of influence over what Trevor did or how he acted. As such, he did not hold the company of the sort of people who would speak of cities beyond Romania so much nor the people who would hold high place within them. Thinking about it, it made a lot of sense. The condition of her carriage spoke enough in her place, ornate in nature and somewhat out of place in these parts. “...Well then, I don’t suppose you are happy for the distraction from all of that boring political business?” He somewhat joked, clearly not intimidated by this revelation.

But it seemed the others were beginning to plan a trip back into the village to which he leaned forward, “If we avoid the tavern, it might be possible. The hold would not be going anywhere. Seeing as it is the only town to stock up between here and home sweet home, I’d like the chance that I did not have to get some supplies…” He then carefully looked over to the new trio and werewolf. “It might be a good idea to take stock and get what you are lacking now that you know the nature of our journey.”

Jillian looked up to Alucard and then over to Danica as she also spoke of going back to the village. “You would be willing to do that?” It seemed by her reaction she was not used to such kind gestures or perhaps it had been a good while since she had experienced one. Alucard did not mince words however and she closed one eye at the sound of the warning smack. “Well, I had considered that as a part of my reasoning, yes…” She carefully replied, grim as a thought it was. She put her hands together and held her fingertips close to her lips, picturing in her mind such a large group invading her mother’s home like that.

“Well, if there is the chance my mother is fine with what has happened, I could almost promise you there would be no warmer welcome. If it happens…” Jillian wished her mother would not see her as a monster, at least not in the sense the Church and the mob from this evening had. She knew better than to be optimistic over the whole thing. “...Very well. I will try to not take too much time. I very much appreciate it,” she smiled gently. “Or we can go for the record time on how long it will take for us to flee the village again if it all goes wrong,” she tried to joke to conceal her apprehension over that possibility.

“If it were a less dire distraction…,” Lucia sighed, the meaning likely obvious enough. She’d enjoyed visiting Dracula for the distraction, after all. Alas, this was not some nice, pleasant distraction. This was the fate of the world. That was a lot of pressure to put on all of their shoulders, and while they really shouldn’t spend it visiting Jillian’s family…it would be better for Jillian’s headspace if they did.

And they needed her in a good headspace.

Danica chuckled, “We’ve known the nature,” at least, the heart of it – deal with Dracula. “I can help with the shopping, I really do not think I’ll be all that notable, if you all want to provide me a list in the morning,” Danica offered.

Alucard nodded, thinking that’d be easy enough. “We’ll visit her tomorrow, then,” it was settled. Danica would need time to shop, and Lucia to sleep. She might enjoy the carriage not moving much, he couldn’t imagine that made sleep easy for her.

There was a lot that wasn’t easy for her. She wouldn’t be able to meet Jillian’s mother, but he didn’t mention that as the stew was finally all put together and placed over the fire to cook. “We can’t stay for the whole day, but…I assume an hour or two,” Alucard deduced.

They were really only able to travel in the day, unless they started to take shifts at night. Lucia could drive her own carriage, but she couldn’t also drive the cart. That was a problem for later, though.

“Will that be all right, Jillian?” Alucard asked. She likely wanted much longer, but it couldn’t be spared.

Perhaps distraction had not been the most accurate way to put it. Trevor didn’t know the extent of the kind of friendship that Lucia once had with Dracula or his wife. Hell, he did not even fully understand how it came to her going to such lengths to find Alucard and making sure that he was alright. Trevor grew silent for a moment, thinking inwardly that he could have chosen his words more carefully but it was too late now. At the very least they were not going to waste too much time heading back into the village and they were also going to make better use of the trip rather than a family reunion at the same time.

“Ah. Well, if it is not too much trouble..” Danica was proving herself willing to be so helpful. “I’ll get back to you on it,” he assured the older woman before Sypha carefully stirred their stew and began to prepare their bowls for dinner.

“One hour will be alright,” Jillian assured rather confidently. Jillian knew she should count herself lucky to get even that much under these circumstances. She also knew there were more pressing matters at hand to face. She knew her mother may not be thrilled about such a brief visit but there would be no helping it. That was if she would even allow them inside…”I understand we don’t wish to delay ourselves too much. As soon as Danica returns with supplies, we should leave.”

The stew was rather good despite being rustic. They all had their fill while mindlessly exchanging words. Eventually their bowls and pot were cleaned and Lucia went with Danica to have her own means of sustenance. By that time, things were winding down for the evening as they needed to get as much sleep as they possibly could before the long day ahead.

Trevor was typically one to fall asleep quickly no matter where he found himself. So much had happened though that his mind felt full even as he laid down upon his bedroll and turned onto his back, staring up at the sky and crossing his arms up and underneath his head. Things were… getting complicated with so many people now traveling with them. He sighed a bit to himself and shut his eyes tightly, as if that might help somehow with relaxing. How did he go from some lone drunkard pissing his life away now to all of this?

Jillian was not faring so well either, though being up into the later hours never bothered her too much. She had taken a moment to look around at their little camp and all of the new companions she seemed to have made in such little time. She didn’t wish to disturb them and so she carefully got up and opted to go for a short walk, thinking perhaps it may ease the mind and make her feel tired. She paused when she found herself away from the camp but still in view of it, looking up at the night sky and hugging herself loosely as she allowed herself to think. “Is it a good idea, I wonder…”

The food was enjoyed all around – even Lucia enjoyed her meal, though she did keep it out of sight. There was no real need for anyone else to be involved, when it was likely quite uncomfortable, no matter how ‘willing’ they were to accept her needs. Danica drifted off to sleep easily after that, as did Johann. He knew he didn’t need to keep a vigil.

Lucia could do that just fine, though it didn’t surprise her that Alucard didn’t go down.

He joined her besides the tree, silence overtaking them both. There was both too little, and too much, to say.

So, of course, Lucia chose pragmatism in the end, “You should rest, Alucard. I’m fine on watch,” she didn’t know how, or if, they bothered with a watch before, but it didn’t matter. She only had the night, after all.

He sighed, “I know,” he agreed, “I wanted to thank you…for being here.” He looked up, “You could have stayed out of all of this. I presume Valerian and Amon are?”

“Mm,” Lucia hummed agreement, “Amon has better reasons than Valerian, but in the end, they’re both assuming this will wrap up before they have to get involved. They have no faith in Dracula succeeding.”

“Heh,” Alucard let out that pathetic sound, “what will you do…after?”

“Finish things up. The night creatures won’t vanish because Dracula has. I’ll deal with them, and any vampire who wants to continue what he started,” she moved her eyes to Alucard, “I…if you intend to—”

“No, no,” Alucard shook his head, “I’ve never been interested, and besides – you can’t lead vampires if you’re not one,” and he wasn’t one. “Is that your plan?”

“Amon, myself, and Valerian have talked of splitting it as a triumvirate. I believe we’ll want to involve others, but we have to see who remains.”

“Triumvirates are cursed. The one in Rome always wins,” Alucard said, a bit dryly.

Lucia understood the humor, “So I’ll have to march on Valerian,” she shrugged, but shook her head, “I’m not concerned over that. It will have to expand. The world is too large,” she brought a hand to her temple, “I’m not looking forward to the headache, but someone has to step up. Otherwise….”

Alucard hummed.

Silence fell again, but as it did, the little wolf tried to sneak away, perhaps not noticing her and Alucard. They both watched, before Lucia murmured, “You should check in.”

Alucard silently moved away from Lucia and went to where Jillian was, catching her own quiet words.

“Is what a good idea? Running away?” Alucard intruded.

And how could he possibly sleep when two of their camp members spent their time mumbling strategy? Trevor knew it probably was not his place. Eavesdropping was not something he favored as it often led him to all sorts of unfavored results. This all had begun with a moment of eavesdropping. He was not able to help it as the exchange continued though, furrowing his brow as he tried to make sense of the mentions of dealing with the remnants of Dracula’s war should they succeed and the possible take over of a certain leadership role that child his blood momentarily.

He waited until he heard Alucard step away. Once the quiet footsteps had receded, that was when he decided to finally roll over and stand up slowly, the ground not bringing any sort of comfort to the back even if padded by a bedroll. He looked over at Lucia and then proceeded to make his way over in order to take Alucard’s place, leaning one shoulder against the tree. He was looking at her more seriously now, lips forming a thin line. “So, tell me. Was your plan to ‘finish things up’ before Dracula went insane, or were you speaking out loud?” He asked, expecting an answer. She might very well lie but he was not about to conceal the fact he had been listening in, now glad he had gone against his better judgment and did so. “It sounds like a rather tall order, especially from one who seems to have been friends with the head bastard himself.”

Jillian suspected she likely would not be alone for long before someone noticed she had taken a little excursion. She didn’t look away from the sky even as Alucard approached, having determined it was he who was approaching before he managed to catch her words and asked her about them. “You may need to be more specific with that question. There has been much running away for me so far,” she responded lightly with a sigh. She closed her eyes, taking a moment to try and think of a more sincere response. When she looked down and turned around to finally look at him, “I haven’t had the time to reflect on what has happened. I believe I am coming to the conclusion that I have become quite the selfish person.”

The corners of her mouth flinched upwards for a brief moment before averting her gaze. “Even now, I feel I am continuing to act selfishly by accepting the kind offer of returning to my home. There is far too much at stake and I’ve put my desires above all else.” She bit the inside of her cheek, pausing for a moment before pushing herself to continue, “I had thought of coming back and what they may say. I am risking causing more pain for them in the end. Furthermore… That worry is nothing in comparison to what all of you are dealing with. Perhaps it would be better for them to die believing that I have long departed. Or perhaps they should not see me at all. Even that thought is selfish in its own way.”

Of course, Lucia saw Trevor get up, and take the spot at the tree. It seemed he wanted to hurl accusations over something he’d only barely picked up on, and she frowned at the tone, “I would have never betrayed Dracula’s trust if he had never turned on humanity, Trevor.” That was not who she was. She had never planned it. She never wanted to take over.

But she knew what would happen if someone did.

Vampire society would explode, and take down even more.

“Would you rather someone not get involved, and simply let every vampire go about their own self-destructive path in the aftermath of Dracula’s loss?” she asked, “or worse, let someone with power, influence, and a negative view of humanity, take things further and rally vampires under their cause, so the cycle continues?”

Lucia sighed, “I hardly wish to expand my rule, which is why I’ve no plans on doing it alone. Valerian in Rome – I’m sure you’ve heard of him,” he was not a bit player. He’d whispered in the ears of Popes.

He was the reason she couldn’t return home, for so long, and still was not welcome in Rome.

“And Amon in Egypt,” he was…insane, for lack of a better word, but not in the Dracula way. He still worshipped the sun and considered himself son of the sun. Lucia had listened to him explain it countless times, but it never made any sense.

His insanity might make him notable among the Belmonts, as well as his age. He was older than even Valerian – though Valerian was likely still the most hated. You didn’t get to be a vampire and have influence in the church, without being loathed by all.

“Both of them stand against Dracula, and both of them will help wrangle everyone back into order.”

~***~

Alucard frowned at the evasive answer. His question should have been obvious – it was pointed at her own words, after all. However, Jillian sighed, and seemed to reconsider her own response, and blame selfishness. As if it were a bad thing. His expression settled into one of slight amusement, but he waited until she had finished, to comment.

“My…father used to say, everything anyone does, is selfish,” ever the philosopher, “even self-sacrifice, because we are getting something out of sacrificing ourselves – even that is the happiness of knowing you protected your loved ones. Selfish…was never a negative in his view. It just was a motivating factor for action.”

If everything was selfish, then it couldn’t be used as an excuse.

The question was more the motivating reason: was the selfish reason that you got joy from making someone else happy, or was it that you got joy from making someone else angry? That was more the question.

“Most people would say they want the truth, no matter how much it hurts. Your family…may fall into that category. Only you would know, from what you remember of them,” he stepped up to her side, “but it will help you.” That much was obvious, “and if we may be selfish…we need you capable of fighting. If you are distracted by not knowing how your family is…you may never live to see them at all afterwards.”

It was grim.

But he couldn’t be anything but grim.

Trevor raised one eyebrow at her as Lucia began to bestow upon him the reasoning behind planning rising to the role as a leader to pick up the pieces of this mess. He had not considered the aftermath as she had. He often didn’t consider much of anything as far as a plan went. Trevor didn’t bother with such things because he had half the mind to conclude he would end up dead in some forsaken ditch outside of who knew where, the last of Belmonts rotting away with not a roar of an end but more of a sad, disappointing whimper. Perhaps not even that. He had not cared so much. But what Lucia said made sense… to a point.

“Dracula has defectors even in his midsts,” Trevor replied after she had finished speaking her piece. Lucia was enough proof of that. “We both know there will never be a united front so long as people and vampires alike don’t change the ways that they’re used to.” It was a cynical way of looking at it. They were creatures who squabbled with their own kind. He crossed his arms though and thought about it a moment before he inhaled deeply and let out a long exhale, “..But I could not say that having someone above who doesn’t treat humans as cattle would be as terrible as it is now.” He could give her that much. However…

“Do you worry about Valerian or Amon betraying you? They seem the type to have their own agendas in the end. Valerian of all people to throw your lot in with…” Oh, he knew stories. He would not have been surprised if somehow he had a hand in planting little seeds in the mind of the church of the Belmonts involving themselves in the dark arts.

Jillian did not expect Alucard to reflect on the words of his father as a sound response to her musings. She knew she probably came off as rambling, her plight ridiculous. She had felt ridiculous. Alucard did make sense in a way, though. Giving a little tilt of the head, she digested his words carefully. Even if the possibilities of this all ending in disaster and death were far out weighing the best case scenario, she knew that he had a point. And in a strange way, he was attempting to be comforting even if he did not realize he was doing so. “I see. Choosing to return and see my family proves to benefit everyone else, in the end as well, and so it was encouraged…” She was not offended. She in fact already knew this to be the truth. She simply wished to steel her resolve, no matter what she would choose.

She hummed a little to herself and closed her eyes a short moment before she looked back upwards. “I did not plan on seeing them after this regardless of what happens. I place them into a dangerous situation by lingering too much.” She smiled a little bit to herself, “I also had nothing in mind as to what I would do with myself beyond the possibility of seeing them one last time. But I know I do not want to bring harm anymore. I’ll let them be free of that fear even if I wish it could be different.”

Vampires and humans, as a group, were likely never to get along. Humans couldn't handle the idea of being food, and too many vampires saw themselves as superior to humans. Yet, as individuals, in individual ways, there was hope.

Especially if a Belmont was willing to humor it.

“There's a chance they will attempt something,” Lucia couldn't deny it. “Valerian is a true Roman. Backstabbing is a love language,” she joked, “he likely would have betrayed Dracula once day anyways, if he hasn't made attempts before. Amon, well,” she shrugged, “if the sun tells him I'm his enemy, he'll turn on me. Otherwise, he prefers peace and decadence.”

Amon was always a wild card, but he was smart. Powerful. A great ally, a terrible foe.

“But none of them hate humanity. Both of them prefer to leave humanity free and work alongside humans. Even if they should turn on me or each other, the fallout wouldn't be so bad.”

She grinned a bit, “What have you heard of my dear friend, Valerian?”

~***~

Alucard frowned at the sentiment she offered. “Why do you think you place your family in danger?” It could be the pack she mentioned, as the werewolf leader apparently spoke of returning. “If your mother accepts you as you are, would you not wish to return and see her, and find what new life could be ahead of you?”

It seemed what anyone would want – to be reunited, and forge a better path ahead.

And after killing Dracula, certainly her old alpha would reconsider facing her, if he caught wind of who was behind it. Odds were, news of them would spread. Stories like that always did – fortunately, or not. The alpha would have to reconsider his target carefully at that point, if only because of the strength that Jillian showed, then perhaps the friends she had made in the process.

Though, there was also the chance such a threat would be dealt with on the way. Alucard was still surprised they hadn’t run into any of his father’s hostile bloodhounds, after all. It was inevitable they’d cross paths with one group of them eventually.

“A chance” was a very kind way of putting it. Trevor could appreciate the idea of bloodsuckers like Lucia making an attempt at approaching coexistence with humanity without resorting to herding the humans into pens to be fed upon when needed. If Valerian and Amon shared the same sentiment then that was all fine and well as well but there was the matter of one of the three perhaps wanting to be slightly more in control above their allies. That was when things would come crumbling down. Lucia seemed to have considered this as well, though she seemed less concerned about what that could mean for humans. If they all wished to remain at peace then it would be for the best to not have humans caught in the crossfire. Trevor had his reservation about humanity not being able to help but encroach upon things that did not necessarily involve them, wanting their hands in anything and everything having to do with positions of power and influence.

He furrowed his brow when she questioned him about Vulerian. “Enough to know he has some sort of influence among the Vatican. Cardinals or Pope, not sure what. My assumption would be he’d exchange protection and his own resources in order to keep his Holiness off of his and his owns’ backs. An alliance based on some sort of convenience for both parties. They won’t be staking or tearing each other’s throats out anytime soon,” he shrugged stiffly. “Perhaps influence tearing down those who may become troublesome to him in the end… But what about you? You act like humans have nothing to worry about if either of them overstep their boundaries. But what about your own part surviving…?”

“Mm,” Jillian had considered the possibility of coming back already once Dracula had been dealt with, whatever that entailed. Alucard was also right in there being a chance that the alpha from the pack she had been in would also be deterred from engaging her because of what they would achieve. “It is not that I would not like to try to do that if I could,” she told him honestly as she laced her fingers together behind her back. “It is others I would find myself concerned about. There could always be someone or something that may not look at what we accomplish in the way we hope they would. I could not ask them to live in the fear of a day coming when they are pulled into trouble because of their relationship to me.”

She figured that Alucard might be able to understand. After all, his mother had been labeled a witch because she had married Dracula and took what knowledge and instruments he had in order to help people. It was a good thing but still people showed their worst side. She looked over to him, curiously, “...I may also have not considered much beyond this point. I had believed I would not be in the position to make a future plan. But what about you…?” She wondered if this perhaps was a sore subject for him but she could not help but find herself intrigued, “Is there something you have considered doing once… all of this has finished?” She did not feel comfortable saying anything along the lines of “killing Dracula”, though they both most likely knew what she meant.

Trevor knew the basics, and Lucia nodded, confirming, “It varies by the age, but usually he always has influence with some of the cardinals and bishops, and that usually translates to future influence with the Pope,” if his winning horse was picked, so to speak, “he provides them with knowledge and wealth, which the turn into power, and they do indeed target his enemies, and usually ignore his allies.”

Valerian was very powerful.

In Rome.

“Why are you concerned for me, Belmont?” Lucia couldn’t help but tease, before shaking her head, “If they come for me, I will deal with it. My area of the world isn’t run by the Pope. They’re Orthodox, so, Valerian has less influence than he’d like, and he’s loathed to leave Rome itself.”

All meetings would likely be near Rome. Bastard.

“Amon, well, I suppose it’ll be divinely decreed then. No escaping it,” she chuckled, but sighed, “I’m over a thousand years old. I don’t intend to die, but I’m not afraid of it. I’ve lived far longer than I have any right to. You know that.”

~***~

“There could,” Alucard agreed, “there will be.” Should that keep them all from making relationships and having friends? Alucard didn’t think so, though he was made comfortable with the idea of immortality from a young age.

He would watch those he loved, die.

He wasn’t yet old enough to truly grasp it, but he knew it was ahead. He knew he shouldn’t respond how his father was responding. He knew his mother would still want him to go and make friends, to fall in love, to experience life…the people who wanted to be with him, were worth it.

“Some fears can be mitigated. Those who would do your family harm…some of them can be sought out and destroyed. Living a life full of fear of bonds and connections, is no life at all,” he could see that.

As for his own future? “My future depends on many things,” what was left of his home. What became of vampire society afterwards. “All I know, is that I do not wish to be involved in governing or leading, as my father was. I do not want to be in charge of guiding a future, for a race that I am only half of.”

Neither humans, nor vampires.

“Beyond that, I suppose it will be a lot of cleaning up the messes Dracula leaves behind.”

Last edited:
One could reasonably interpret all of his questioning as concern for Lucia in the end. Having it said out loud caused Belmont to do a double take in her direction, seeming unprepared to hear such a notion and being unable to help letting off an amused scoff as his initial response, though Lucia chose to further elaborate on why his concerns were not as troublesome as he may have believed. Even so, her nonchalant attitude towards whether or not she could possibly meet her end at the hands of those she had formed an alliance with made Trevor place his weight on one foot and then the other uneasily, looking away in order to think of a good way to respond. He was certain being immortal meant there were prolonged stretches where life lost its luster in all aspects. One would grow tired of it all and so they wished to bow out on their own terms, or whatever happened would happen and there would be no resistance from them.

But Trevor, who was still human and listening to her intentions, did not see it that way, “Maybe I am thinking that it would be nice to have someone who didn’t turn their noses upward at us mortals at the top for a change,” he continued, sounding slightly amused, “Should it come to anyone stepping a toe out of line and turning on you, well… There is Belmont in this place, unlike Rome or Egypt. If you are serious about this plan of yours, best case scenario for humans and all, then I'd be willing to fight for that much if it ever came to it. If there is one thing the Belmonts have always been good at, it is fighting and dying for humanity’s sake.” He closed one eye and looked back over to her, smirking slightly, “It’s not like I wouldn’t be there anyway. Apparently I have a knack for getting myself caught up in vampiric war-fares.”

Jillian knew that he had a point and that it was easy to see things as if she was keeping herself away from her family out of fear of what would eventually happen. To an extent, he was correct. “Is that what I am doing?” She wondered if it was fear that drove her to step away from her family and the opportunity for friendship. She looked back down and over to him when he began to reply to having the question turned around on him and she couldn’t help but to tilt her head slightly. Yes, it would make sense to deal with whatever was left of Dracula’s army and anyone who may have been loyal to him who would continue to try and do harm. However, she could not help but notice that he also had not really mentioned anything having to do with himself and what he personally wanted. Her smile slowly formed until she couldn’t help but let out a soft giggle, pressing a pair of knuckles up to her lips in an effort to keep it more to herself and not disturb the peace of the evening.

“It’s not funny,” she assured, not wishing for Alucard to take her laughter the wrong way at first. Well, it kind of was. When her chuckling had finally passed, she held up her finger as if to make an important point next, “It is just we both have such an eloquent way of admitting that we don’t know what to do with ourselves once this is all over. Aside from more fighting,” she mused slightly. She then crossed her arms, a more sincere look softening her features. “Well… it’s a start. We have some time to figure it out before then. If not, perhaps we will wander long enough for it to come to us eventually.” She straightened up. “Just… keep in mind that it does not all have to be up to you. If you need any help, I am sure any of us would be willing to lend a hand.”

‘This place’.

Lucia huffed a laugh and pushed away from the tree to move before Trevor, “What about in Chernihiv?” Lucia mused, as she had little intention of staying in Romania, “Is there a Belmont there?” No, no there was not, unless he was offering.

Which he was, in a way, but not quite.

And he shouldn’t be.

Sure, he reeked of desperation, but certainly that had limits, as she decided to remind him by slipping into a bit more callous language, “I suppose I would be the envy of all vampires with a Belmont pet, though,” she’d even play at that, reaching up to grip his chin if he didn’t move away, “Were they right? Is it a pretty vampire that’s turning your head to mush?”

They joked over it, and certainly it was just that – a joke.

He didn’t crave the bite, and he didn’t intend to work for any vampire. “You could have come to Chernihiv long ago, I would have taken care of you, Belmont.”

~***~

Jillian began to laugh, and Alucard frowned at it, brows knitting together as she brought her knuckles to her lips and tried to explain around her giggles. He waited, impatiently, for that explanation to come spilling out from around the laughter. When she explained it, it did make sense.

Enough that he even managed a faint chuckle, “I suppose so,” although he had some vague ideas of what was next, since he’d have to get things in order. He just didn’t know what things would need to be ordered.

He knew some of the larger issues would be handled by Lucia. That was some relief, at least. Trevor, too, would likely go handle other issues of vampires who needed slain, or monsters that needed slaying.

That’s what Belmonts did.

Alucard might even join one or the other – but that depended on the fallout.

“I know it does not all fall to me,” that was already clear in his thoughts. Others would be taking up other pieces of the burden. “We’ll have time to figure it out. We’ll have nothing but time,” he sighed, then canted his head, “I know werewolves live a while. If your mother is still alive…how old are you? How long have you been one?”

He was curious if she had lived this way a while now, or not.

True, Alucard had lived knowing his fate since birth, but…he was still too young to really know it. Was she actually forty? Sixty?

That was right. She did not necessarily hail from Romania although she was here right now. Dracula’s castle could move anywhere it so wished and so having one country to be called the base of operations was not something easily considered in their time. Lucia already knew the answer of there being any other Belmont in the world that could take up the task in his place. When she reached out to him, he felt the hairs on the back of his neck began to stand up and his skin prickle, for her fingertips ghosted along his jawline enough for him to feel the cool sensation of her skin barely passing along under the chin as she leaned in closer.

Blue eyes squinted at first, though he knew he might be in for a lot more joking at his expense if he moved away abruptly the moment she reached out to him. Still, his nose would wrinkled and he looked at her, as if she had said something taboo in nature, both embarrassing and unbecoming of a woman of high society. “And here I thought you had Chernihiv well in hand with all your free roaming of any home,” he finally took a step back away from her hand and smirked, putting his hands up as if to feign a manner of defense to her. “My head is just as fine as it can be, thank you. I was merely offering my support of your side of the plan, for whatever it is worth. Which is close to nothing worth a damn at all, so there will be no need to go swooning or giving your heartfelt thanks for it, either.” He chuckled under his breath.

Jillian let one of her braids fall over her shoulder as she tilted her head as Alucard assured her he knew he wasn’t alone. “Ah. That is good, then,” she relented with a light shrug of the shoulders, though it would matter more when the time would finally come for their band of merry men to disband. She knew one could have allies to call on and yet still feel all alone, depending. She could only hope that he would be alright for he seemed to have a lot to endure himself, even if he did have friends at his side…

Then, she blinked once, thinking she may have misheard his question at first before she looked back up to him, wearing a rather blank expression. And then she reached out and with thumb and index finger, she pinched at his arm through the layers of clothing he wore, “That is both bold and rude, you get a pinch for that,” she joked slightly before pulling away, not seeming truly offended by the question. She then tapped her finger against her cheek a couple of times as she thought about it. “...I have been a werewolf for thirty-eight years. I was nineteen when I was changed, so… fifty-seven? Gosh, my brother is probably going to look so different. He better have married Lana by now or else he is getting more than just a pinch. He’ll probably mention how short I still am and use me as his arm support.”

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back