[Interest Check] Crafting Madness

You guys could always pull the shuffling ST hat trick. Share responsibilities, different sections of Creation are controlled by different people ST wise, to keep plots revealable. Or if you work on a smaller scale, divvy up the direction du jour. It can be a little weird, but it is the default assumption for the Ars Magica game, which shares a history with the Storyteller System, but it has some major differences.

It is called the Troupe System.

I've brought it up before, no real excitement. There are a couple very long running Exalted Games on SomethingAwful that operate under the Troupe system.

Interesting... I'd be willing to give this style of running the game a try. What does everyone else think?

I'd be willing to try, with the warning that this would be my second game ever DMed and first exalted game to be DMed.

I'd have to give the 'shuffling ST' a miss, since I know I would not be able to devote the time needed to do it justice and I feel ill equipped to even think about GMing Exalted in a tabletop game, let alone PbP.

Not sure I have the time to devote to that sort of thing, and it might result in it being a bit episodic.

... I really really really don't have time to do this right now, but ideas are starting to form in my head to do with the Twilight's natural home...

Autochthonia.

Weeeell. If I start this, you won't be in Autochthonia to start with, because the whole First Contact thing is far too much fun to drop, and you won't *have* to go there.

I'd be up to a troupe system game. ^_^

I would love to play an Infernal (love the telekinesis-aided crafting) bent on Craft:Genesis.

In the troupe, I would be happy to ST the West and/or the South, but I will commit myself to STing once I see that the game goes.

xarvh said:
I would love to play an Infernal (love the telekinesis-aided crafting) bent on Craft:Genesis.

In the troupe, I would be happy to ST the West and/or the South, but I will commit myself to STing once I see that the game goes.
I've never had the chance myself (well, outside of a short-lived free-form game), so that would be sweet. Though, before we go any further - Morkais, were you thinking of running this Twilights/Autochthonia thing as an entire story on your own? Or was this to be a part of the troupe system game?

If there's still any space, I'd be quite interested in this, and up for the cooperative storytelling...

One question I would have, though, is would it be limited to only Twilight solars, or would twilight-equivalent Abyssals and Infernals work too?

Progress said:
xarvh said:

I've never had the chance myself (well, outside of a short-lived free-form game), so that would be sweet. Though, before we go any further - Morkais, were you thinking of running this Twilights/Autochthonia thing as an entire story on your own? Or was this to be a part of the troupe system game?
Ooooh.

I hadn't thought of doing it troupey, actually, but I'd be up for that as long as everyone else is happy to have Autochthonia coming back.

I take it when we're GMing, we just make sure not to have our characters taking the spotlight too much?

Iiii honestly I'm not sure that I'm quite confident enough to ST as part of troupe system, I've only been in two Exalted games and have a pretty fuzzy understanding of a lot of the specifics of the world - some of the location books are (relatively) boring compared to a lot of the other stuff so I haven't read them super closely nor have I memorized any of them. Not that I don't have any confidence in my ability to write or anything, I just don't have enough experience to be able to say that I could make for interesting storylines for everyone else and say that knowing that it's the truth - it'd be a bit trial-and-error. Also, with college, I don't think I'd really have the time to even part-time run the game, and I'd feel like a complete leech if I tried to get in without being ready and able to do at least a par job at picking up my share of the slack.

If anyone is interested and doesn't have a copy of Ars Magica, the system that introduced and propagated the troupe style of play, I can provide a pdf. There is a section in what amounts to the Storytelling chapter all about different styles of Troupe play as well as tips. Just PM me if you care.

MorkaisChosen said:
I take it when we're GMing, we just make sure not to have our characters taking the spotlight too much?
The "ST's character" is one of the most contemptible things about RpG.

If we troupe, the ST's char goes on holidays for the time being.

It would be nice if all chars had some personal projects to follow when they're not working with the Lab Circle.

You can have an ST character without it being a big issue, but it requires the ST to ensure that the players are in the spotlight at all times. That sort of disassociation is difficult for a lot of people, though.

In all honesty, a troupe game would be awesome. BUT, if a lot of those interested aren't feeling as though they can contribute to it well, I'd rather play a game where those who are really interested in this concept can contribute. Additionally, while the idea of having each of us run a sub-story each happening in a different part of Creation as part of larger story is awesome, that may be a bit much for those of us who are new to the Troupe system.

That said - Morkais, if you're willing to lead off with this, I'd be glad to help run it and eventually trade off with you.

MrSerious said:
Hmm, I dont see any comments about you not having time ;) . How about after exams?
Pretty much. I fully understand the issue of time for you at this moment, Morkais, so no worries. We can check back in on this in a few weeks and then see where you're at.

Sure. TBH I'd be happier not starting this- that way, we can have the world existing for a while, so Autochthonia coming back's more of an Event. Also it gives me more time for the Compass to come out.

But yeah, let's see what's happening in a few weeks...

They turned my idea down. They said it wouldn't fit. They said you couldn't run with more than one Twilight in a party. Oh, they were wrong. I'll show them. I'll show them all!

So, how many people are still interested in this? I'm thinking of running it.

Got my Twilight right here

20080314_sherlock_holmes.jpg

I like over the top mad scientist craziness. I'm in and I've two ideas one darker even if he's a hero and the other more standard fare.

Sounds interesting, and I'd like to know more. What kind of setting and themes are you thinking of going for with the game Miashara?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back