• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern ๐“˜๐“ท ๐“•๐“พ๐“ต๐“ต ๐“‘๐“ต๐“ธ๐“ธ๐“ถ ~ ๐“ ๐“‘๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ญ๐“ฐ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฝ๐“ธ๐“ท-๐“˜๐“ท๐“ผ๐“น๐“ฒ๐“ป๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ก๐“ธ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“น๐“ต๐“ช๐”‚ (๐“˜๐“’)

Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
10th of April, 1815
~ Kew Palace, The Ballroom ~

Lord Solomon Davenport

1718824761854.pngIt was all too easy for Solomon to tune out his children when they spoke. He had lost patience waiting for the day one of them came to him with something worthwhile to say. In particular, he never expected Ichabod, who appeared to live more in his imagination than reality, to come out with anything worthy of attention, such that the sound of his voice prompted Solomonโ€™s hearing to switch off in some Pavlovian response. Instead he swirled his drink - an indulgent cocktail designed by the Prince Regent himself - and peered down into it as if hypnotised by the whirlpool he was creating.

โ€œIchabodโ€ฆโ€ The name drew slowly from his lips, each syllable enunciated as though he was speaking it aloud for the very first time. His gaze never left his drink, instead raising it for closer inspection, as if mesmerised. โ€œIchabod. Do you know what Ichabod means?โ€ He allowed a pause for him to think, though he wasnโ€™t waiting for an answer. โ€œIt means, without glory.โ€

Finally, he turned his attention to his youngest son, boring into him with his deep, piercing eyes. โ€œI have given you twenty one years of life, and still I wait for the day I can say it was worth it,โ€ he uttered in a low voice. โ€œYear after year, chance upon chance. I give you everything. You have everything. And what have you done with it all?โ€

Just as long as he had avoided making eye contact with the young man, he now refused to free him from it. He drank blindly from his glass, trapping his son in an austere gaze. โ€œI shall be dead before any of you bring any kind of glory to our family. None of you followed in my footsteps - perhaps because you knew you would not be strong enough to survive it. I can only hope you will marry a lady who is smart and sensible, so that my grandchildren may stand a chance.โ€

A commotion on the dancefloor managed to steal his attention and he finally took his eyes off his son. Watching everybody fuss over the fallen dancers made him chuckle. He enjoyed the scene for a few moments longer until he all too suddenly grew sick of his sonโ€™s presence, and a scowl replaced his laughter. โ€Go,โ€ he commanded, using his cane to smack the back of Ichabodโ€™s calves. โ€œMake yourself a fool like the rest of them. I have not the energy to expect higher of you.โ€

Interactions
Jesster Jesster Ichabod

ichabod

c'est la vie

DANCING ON MY OWN

taking a stroll

mood

i hope u fall off a horse again xx

interactions

solomon davenport

It is not oft that sweet tendrils of anger envelope child of melted sugar and fresh harvested honey but when it does, he does not let it consume the fibers of his being for he is weaved with the becomings of a gentleman, or so he hopes. He listens to words that fall off a forked tongue, serpent eyes boring into him, and decides no, there is not a place he would rather be. His smile does not falter for a moment but chocolate eyes caramelise into hardened candy.

โ€œIf we are to pick at names,โ€
Ichabod says, voice still carrying the softness of a cloud.
โ€œI should remind you Solomon means peaceful one, and the ton are quick to see you are anything but. I advise you do not let Lady Whistledown see more of your endeavours or your cherished name may go down the drain. She holds more power in a silly gossip column than you could ever hope.โ€

He sets empty glass down, pulling at his gloves, and gaze trails from Lord Davenport's as if his mind is drawn in another world, a soft sigh escaping his lips. A few steps forward and it appears he is to grant his creator's wishes but black heel swivels to meet his gaze once more, hazy twinkle fading into a look not so unlike his own.

"You have never had expectations of me at all. Being dead before I bring any glory to this family is a fate you surely expected long before this conversation, and I will join you in the graveyard before giving you the satisfaction of grandchildren."

Wallflowers who hide behind the shadows of others do not shine with complacent pride that eats the soul, but Ichabod could not help but feel a tinge of selfish satisfaction.

"I hope you enjoy Queen Charlotte's ball, Father."

Teeth gnaw at the inside of his cheek to stave away any sting that may have come from the hit of a cane as he weaves his way into the crowd. A charming smile, and few pretty words get him laughs but he does not take to the dance floor just yet instead biding time with small talk until he is able to slip his way out and decides to walk alone for it is the only time the knots that restrict his breathing finally become unraveled.

• Henry Davenport

Considering the infamy associated with his name, Henry was rather impressed she did not throw her drink in his face. While that would be refreshment of its own, he did not relish the thought of the inevitable scolding from his mother. It seemed he was going to avoid such a fateโ€”and to his dismay, another Whistledown mentionโ€”at this particular event, but he couldnโ€™t let his guard down just yet.

As he rose from his bow, she dipped into a curtsy, and a gentle smile spread across his face. โ€œIs all of this not a complex charade of pretending, my lady? I may find these events rather dull, but I do so enjoy the game of it all.โ€ Casting a glance to the side, he added, โ€œAnd in any case, I would hate for Her Majesty to catch wind of our lack of enjoyment. It would bode ill for all in attendance.โ€

He couldnโ€™t help but check on the couple making a scandal of themselves. โ€œI agree. Iโ€™d hate for them to figure out we knew where they were when they are inevitably caught and chastised. I suppose I shall have to torture us both by leading you in dance.โ€ He extended his arm and began the journey indoors, a strange sort of mirth filling his body. Though perhaps that was the alcohol. It was quite hard to tell most of the time, considering the frequency of his drinking. Not quite so frequent as the elder Lord Davenport, but regardless.

โ€œCalling any part of my dancing โ€˜prowessโ€™ is quite magnanimous, I assure you. My skills are adequate, better used elsewhere.โ€ Perhaps she would pick up on his allusion, perhaps not. All he was truly sure of was that the dancing was successfully keeping him rather out of everyoneโ€™s line of attention. Those that did spot him, however, were surely whispering about his intentions with his would-be dance partner. Such was the way of the ton.

And so they struck up a dance, Henry and this mysterious and charming lady. He grinned at her praise. โ€œJust wait, my lady, I have yet to step on your foot.โ€ Though he did no such thing, taking careful steps to insure that he would not totally embarrass himself this night. Just this once, he would give his mother a boon and not cardiac arrest. His father would still be disappointed, as was the way of dreary Lord Solomon, but at least his motherโ€™s worries could be eased.

He raised an eyebrow at the abrupt change of topic. โ€œShe does indeed. I am an admirer of hers myselfโ€”I do so enjoy the way she describes my exploits.โ€ Henry dared to let out a chuckle at her question. โ€œIndeed, an excellent question. I will be honest, I had no idea you were outside. I simply wished for a breath of fresh air before I had to take part in the nightโ€™s festivities in earnest.โ€

A commotion erupted some distance away from their dance, and Henry peered over his shoulder to spot a conundrum of limbs and fallen dancers. โ€œOh my. Thankfully I did not entangle us in that.โ€ Before he turned back to his dance partner, he realized he spotted his brother and sister in the foray, and shot Celestine a curious glance. He had no time to take in the rest of the participants, and frankly they were probably better off for it. (No doubt he would find some way to make fun of any of them later, should he recognize them.) โ€œShall we move further away, lest we be pulled into the storm?โ€ He twirled them away, not desiring to be mentioned in Whistledown for anything other than his own exploits.

Mentions: Solomon, Morgan, Celestine | Interactions: Scarlet | Tags: Bellz Bellz Pyroclast Pyroclast CapellaStargaze CapellaStargaze

coded by: @s e v e n

10th of April, 1815
grand royal ballroom, Kew Palace

Lady Esmeralda Quijada-Hotham
37f06f912afae2f911a5bf9df98b62a2.gif
Esmeralda found herself far more at ease with a drink in hand, though the reasons eluded her. Perhaps amidst the whirl of what seemed like a dream, the tangible presence of a favored libation grounded her. Her mother inquired if she felt up to conversing with a lady nearby, and Esmeralda simply nodded."Si, madre, go on." she replied with a smile, not wishing to intrude on her mother's enjoyment with her own anxieties. Esmeralda let the smile linger, honing the confident facade she often wore and feeling nearly complete in it.

Surveying the room, Esmeralda couldn't help but notice that everyone seemed to have found a companion. Were they all acquainted, or were there others like herself, adrift in this sea of faces? A voice spoke from behind, and Esmeralda turned, mid-sip, to find herself face to face with Euphemia, a woman of striking appearance whose smile radiated kindness. Esmeralda returned the smile into her glass as she lowered it from her lips. Though some of the words were difficult to discern over the hum of the crowd, it was clear the young woman was paying her a compliment. "Oh, muchas gracias, seรฑorita!" Esmeralda exclaimed, before catching herself and realizing she should practice her English. Clearing her throat delicately, she continued, "Thank you, v-very much miss." her smile faltering ever so slightly."I feel like a princesa."

Esmeralda admired the woman's gown, marveling at its delicately sewn fabric. "Your dress isโ€ฆ" She paused, snapping her fingers together twice in thought, searching for the right word in English. "magnรญfica!" She relented, unable to find the word she was looking for. she finally settled, though still feeling she hadn't quite captured the essence. "Beautiful. I've never seen such fabric here. The others wear..." Esmeralda struggled, frustrated with her linguistic stumbling despite her efforts to practice among English speakers. "The fabric others wear is... how would you say? Dull?" A knowing smile graced her lips. "But not your gown."

"Mi nombre es โ€” "
The woman hesitated, catching herself before lapsing back into Spanish. With a sigh, she extended her hand, hoping for a handshake as she made another attempt. "My name is Esmeralda. I'm afraid I'm not accustomed to all these English traditions. It's a pleasure to meet you, Missโ€”?" The introduction had been drilled into her by her maids, a necessary exercise to blend in seamlessly, at least for now. The lady before her appeared gentle enough to perhaps overlook her peculiarities. Esmeralda's grasp of the English language was progressing, albeit slowly. She grasped it adequately, thanks to her mother speaking it to her consistently over the past two years in an effort to immerse her in the language. Esmeralda prayed it would suffice to simply get through the evening, which was her sole objective. Normally, she possessed enough self-assurance to navigate such gatherings effortlessly, whether among the wealthy or otherwise. Yet, it was the unfamiliarity of conversing in a language she rarely practiced that threatened to unravel her composure. She abhorred appearing foolish, especially in such esteemed company.
with: Effie <3 Pyroclast Pyroclast

10th of April, 1815

Lady Helena Bexley
ef3c69cbf3ffea59b9472c2ea4d75f0e.jpg
Helena expressed her gratitude with a gentle nod as Francis graciously pulled out a chair for her near the refreshment table. Though she endeavored to conceal the discomfort in her ankle, it was clear that any further dancing was out of the question for the evening. "Indeed, we must see to it that this is remedied, Frankie," Helena remarked with a twinkle in her eye, in response to them not often being in ones company. When Francis, with an unexpected fervor, labeled Augustus a fool for having let her go, Helena could not suppress a delicate laugh, for such forthright words were seldom heard from his lips. "Alas, it takes two to craft such folly," she sighed, her smile diminishing slightly as he gently lowered her into the chair.

Helena found herself quite taken aback by the sudden boldness of Francis, whose words seemed to echo the sentiments she had harbored in her heart these past three years. The slightest tension hung in the air, a subtle heaviness that Helena knew all too well, hinting that something between them had shifted. Yet she was certain that Frankie was entirely unaware of this delicate change, and she was certainly not the sort to act upon such a fleeting notion, especially with the brother of her dearest friend โ€” a man to whom she had once been betrothed.

Blinking, Helena forced herself to avert her gaze from Frankie and instead focused on her ankle. "Well, I am both in your debt for rescuing me from the dance floor and for sparing me the ignominy of wandering about like a lost puppy this evening. If all I owe you is a dance, then I shall be more than happy to oblige at a later date, Francis." She accepted the glass of lemonade he offered, smiling sweetly though her eyes hesitated to meet his.โ€จ Gathering her courage, Helena finally looked up and said, "Do not squander your evening with a wounded woman such as myself. Your dear mama would have my head were she to learn I kept you from the ton's finest. I assure you, I shall be quite alright here on my own and will seek assistance if I find it necessary to depart." With that, she made a gentle shooing motion, urging him to enjoy the festivities.

"Do not be a stranger now, Francis. Let it not be too long before we share the dance I owe you, else I truly might find myself an old maid," she quipped, her nose scrunching adorably as she laughed. After their goodbyes were exchanged, Helena watched Francis depart, then turned her gaze to the dance floor.โ€จ Could she make a daring escape on her own, should fortune favor her? Yet, perhaps this was a sign. The Queen had once advised her that fleeing from one's troubles would only extend them and cause greater harm in the end. And here she was โ€” quite literally harmed.โ€จ

If Augustus wished to approach her, he could do so now, and she would find herself entirely at his mercy. Though the thought pained her, for there was a time when Helena had not merely loved but craved his company. They had once been so perfectly in sync, their courtship blossoming into an engagement, until reality cast its shadow upon their happiness.โ€จA part of her still longed for his presence, even if it meant sitting together in silence. She yearned for his nearness. Yet, she knew it was wrong after all this time, following their so-called "mutual agreement" to end the engagement when neither could meet the otherโ€™s needs. Despite the hurt, Helenaโ€™s heart still ached for him. This was why she continued to write letter after letter, maintaining the illusion of normalcy even through their three years of separation.โ€จ

Now, faced with the immediacy of the moment, she felt utterly out of control, entirely at his whim.

Taking a delicate sip from her lemonade, Helena winced as she carefully rotated her injured ankle. It was tender, but she was confident it was not broken. Regardless, any thoughts of making a swift escape were out of the question. She had spent the past three years running from her troubles, and now, whether she liked it or not, all she could do was sit and perhaps, for once, face them head-on.
Was with: (sent you on your way sir) Frankie, Francis, Sir Moves-a-lot CapellaStargaze CapellaStargaze
Mentions: Augustus Pyroclast Pyroclast (You got your time to move in if you want to)

10th of April, 1815
grand royal ballroom, Kew Palace (Dance Floor - Left Side)

๐ŸŽถmusic change ๐ŸŽถ
Lady Celestine Davenport
4962d2acfb89ea4a89ffdd7ff1eabb4e.gif
Celestine felt a shadow descend upon her spirits, her confidence ebbing away. Yet, in that very moment, Augustus bestowed upon her a word of endearment, calling her beautiful. Her eyes, previously downcast, flickered upwards to meet his as they gracefully maneuvered around one another. His words, assuring her that she had much to anticipate, infused her with a sense of hope, even if a part of her heart doubted their truth. As they circled each other once more, her gaze dropped again, weighed down by her uncertainties. But then, with a delicate yet determined touch, Augustus raised her chin with a gentle knuckle, compelling her to follow its upward direction.

"I do not believe anyone could find themselves discontented while dancing with you, my Lord," Celestine remarked, a shy smile gracing her lips. "Your wit and energy are most infectious, you know?" Her smile brightened further, mischief dancing in her eyes. "And perhaps I am a murderer, what then should you do?" The absurdity of her words brought a laugh to her lips, a giggle escaping despite her best efforts to maintain composure. Augustus's gaze was momentarily diverted, and Celestine followed his line of sight to see a commotion where people had fallen.

"Of course," Celestine said, understanding his silent wish to attend to his sister. She watched from a distance for a moment, before inching closer, drawn by concern and curiosity. She observed from a discreet distance, affording the Bloomingtons a semblance of privacy while remaining attentive should her assistance be required. When Francis aided Lady Helena in rising from the ground, Celestine watched the woman intently, a spark of recognition in her eyes.โ€จ

Though she had been but a girl at the time, she recalled the fervent whispers that had rippled through the Ton regarding their relationship. Much like her own unfortunate failure to secure an engagement, Augustus and Helena had also faltered in fulfilling their betrothal. The entire affair had been nothing short of scandalous, a tale that had captivated society's attention.

Celestine recalled how nearly everyone in the Ton had shunned the Bloomington family for much of the off-season and well into the new season. Her own family, however, had remained steadfast in their loyalty. By the second season thereafter, a new scandal had eclipsed the previous debacle, rendering it seemingly forgotten. Yet, keen-eyed Celestine noticed subtle signs that things were far from unchanged. The absence of Lady Helena from subsequent seasons was a significant indication, at least to Celestine.

And now, three years later, she observed Lady Helena being helped off the dance floor by the second eldest Bloomington brother. Celestine pondered if Helena sought to erase the past with the passage of time. Though such matters were ostensibly none of her concernโ€”unless, of course, they proved successful. Perhaps she, too, could vanish for three years and return once the Ton had ceased its incessant gossip. Yet, she doubted such a reprieve was possible so long as Whistledown wielded her pen.

From the corner of her eye, Celestine observed Morgan assisting Edmund and Amelia attending to Sophy. Then, Henry managed to catch her gaze, his look questioning. She could only return his look with equal incredulityโ€”was he truly dancing with a Duchess? How on earth had he managed that? Celestine's shoulders lifted in a light shrug. Turning her attention back to the scene, she found Augustus standing quite alone. Biting her full bottom lip, Celestine glanced left and right before moving forward. It was evident that Lady Helena had not shared Augustus's enthusiasm upon their encounter. "Everything all right, my lord?" Celestine inquired softly as she approached him from behind. The music continued, seamlessly changing tunes as if nothing untoward had occurred, but Celestine paid it no heed as she moved to stand before Augustus.โ€จ

Her eyes met his, a gaze perhaps more intimate than propriety allowed. She quickly shifted her glance to where his brother and Helena had gone, then returned her attention to Augustus with a gentle smile. "Perhaps you should speak with her? There will be plenty of room on my dance card before the night is through, should you wish to continue it later on, of course."
with: Augustus Pyroclast Pyroclast
mentions: Morgan/Francis CapellaStargaze CapellaStargaze ; Amelia neverbackdown neverbackdown ; Sophy SandraDeelightful SandraDeelightful ; Henry AnimeGenork AnimeGenork ; Edmund Pyroclast Pyroclast

LYDIA SINCLAIRE
Twitterpated
Kew Palace
Theodore AnimeGenork AnimeGenork
โ€œI am just now realizingโ€ฆ I did not have the honor of learning your name before we began dancing. Please forgive me, I have been terribly rude so far this evening.โ€

Teddyโ€™s voice caused a kaleidoscope of butterflies to flap their wings in her chest, and Lydiaโ€™s laugh trickled from her lips like the chiming of bells. โ€œNot at all, youโ€™ve been a perfect gentleman thus far.โ€ she reassured him, hoping that this new thread of conversation might further sway his attention away from the turmoil to their left, where it seemed the fallen dancers were just beginning to recover themselves. โ€œLydia,โ€ she finally introduced herself, deciding after a moment's hesitation to add her surname. โ€œLydia Sinclaire.โ€

The odds that Teddy recognized her family name were low, unless he was harboring some great affinity for politics and high society that she had yet to be made aware of. It was only then that she realized she had already mentioned she was the sister of a Marquess, and much to his credit, Theodore had not seemed dismayed in the slightest. While he may have been the first to cast doubt on himself, he did not seem the type to worry himself greatly with stature or titles, a trait that Lydia found quite refreshing if she were being honest.

โ€œTheodore Willowby, I do believe youโ€™re quite the natural at this.โ€ she grinned, her voice hushed, as though she didnโ€™t want any neighboring dancers to overhear. For someone who had been thrust into high society so late in life, Teddy seemed to be admirably holding his own. But as their dance progressed, she couldnโ€™t help but feel foolish for how entranced she had become with her very first partner of the night, unable to conceal her girlish smile as they twirled about one another.

Her eyes once again landed on his as she studied his face, committing to memory the structure of his jawline, the subtle curl in his hair, the shifting hues of his irises. For the briefest of moments, Lydia allowed herself to dream of what a life with Teddy might be like. A quiet existence in the country where she could familiarize herself with Theodore's beloved cattle, perhaps find herself cozy beside the fireplace with a good book and a furry friend curled up in her lap. A simply life, with a kind husband. Would her mother ever approve of such a match? Of a marriage that did not propel them further up the social hierarchy?

A warm blush rose to her cheeks as she realized she very well mightโ€™ve been staring at Teddy for longer than was appropriate. She cleared her throat, fishing in her mind for some sort of excuse that would justify her prolonged gaze when her brows furrowed in disappointment. The music was coming to a close, the melody slowing and quieting until it finally ceased all together. Their dance was over, and her motherโ€™s chirping voice in the back of her head reminded her that it was improper to dance with the same partner twice in one night.

Attempting to conceal her discouragement, Lydia curtsied ever so softly, and thanked Theodore for the dance, lingering perhaps a moment longer than she shouldโ€™ve. โ€œPromise youโ€™ll find me at the next ball?โ€ She cocked an eyebrow at him, a playful smile tugging at her lips. Although, before he could answer, the musicians had taken up their instruments once more. A new melody washed over the crowded ballroom as the next round of dancers began to take to the floor. With a final, forlorn smile she took her leave, knowing she could not stay any longer without tempting scandal.

As she made her way off the dance floor, her eyes scanned the bustling hall for her mother, or perhaps her brother, on the lookout for a splash of red hair amongst the sea of pastel fabrics. Unsuccessful in her search, she resigned to make her way towards the refreshment table, hoping a glass of lemonade might do well to satiate her nerves. The blush colored fabric of her gown glided gracefully behind her as she walked, passing servants and members of the ton alike and for a moment, she almost took comfort in her anonymity. When she was not burdened with her motherโ€™s scrutinizing gaze or her brother's incessant tendency to draw attention to himself, it was almost easy for her to disappear into the crowd, just another pretty face on display for the masses.

That was, until the gut wrenching sound of tearing fabric cut through the air. The blood in her veins turned to ice as she turned behind her, trying to discern where the noise had come from, only to find that a servant carrying a tray of champagne was now pale with worry as he looked down at the floor. Following his gaze to the hem of her own dress, Lydia swallowed thickly. The servants shiny, black shoe still pinned the pink fabric of her gown to the floor, and upon closer inspection she could clearly see an evident tear along the back seam that cut its way up dangerously high.

Her dress was torn, in front of everyone. The sound of her own heartbeat pounded in her ears as she looked around, praying to any deity that would listen, hoping nobody had yet noticed her misfortune as the tried to concoct some sort of plan to get out of this unscathed. โ€œI am so sorry missโ€ฆ please, let me assist you.โ€ The servant's voice shook with panic, almost as though he feared the mistake might cost him his livelihood as he still somehow managed to balance the tray of champagne in his right hand. โ€œThe fault is mine entirely. I was not watching where I was going, please do not worry yourself.โ€ Lydiaโ€™s voice was so steady it surprised even herself as the gears in her mind starting turning overtime. She only had so much time before the situation began to draw the attention of unforgiving eyes.
coded by natasha.

10th of April, 1815
~ The Ballroom, Kew Palace ~

Lord Augustus Bloomington

1719190697809.pngThough Helenaโ€™s voice was like music to his ears, her wavering smile dampened his spirits somewhat. His imagination was weak and after three years, his memory of her had grown hazy, so to see her face again, to hear her voice and have her attention on him, even if only for a moment, filled him with a bittersweet nostalgia. The last time the two had seen each other had been the summer after the fallout of their engagement. He had done his best to force himself to move on, to treat her as the friend he had always known before their affections blossomed into love, but as hard as he had tried to just enjoy her company for what it was, he had struggled to deny that his feelings still plagued him.

She told him he looked well, and made a joke about her having been tossed to the floor, which drew from him a fond chuckle. โ€œYou look as fine as ever, my lady,โ€ he assured her. She didnโ€™t seem quite so pleased to see him as he was to see her, and part of him preferred to believe it was because she was embarrassed about her fall. Before he could offer her a hand, his brother muscled in. Of course, as her dance partner, it was perfectly gentlemanly of Francis to tend to her. Augustus only gave him a sheepish nod when Francis explained that he would take care of her before resuming their dance. โ€œOf course, brother,โ€ Augustus replied, albeit somewhat stiffly.

He gave a polite smile when Helena met his eyes and assured him that they would catch up soon, but he found that it took some effort to maintain. As soon as her gaze fell away from him, so too did his smile. Had his brother simply not realised that he had not yet been made aware of her presence? Had he not thought to tell him? Or was he truly so dense that he thought nothing of it? Granted, the Viscount had made a great effort to reassure not only himself, but also his family and the ton that he had moved on from his feelings for Lady Helena. Perhaps Francis had just believed him.

As he watched the pair leave the dance floor, poor Helena with a slight limp, August lost himself in thought. It was only when Sophy piped up in her small voice that he snapped out of it and instead turned his attention onto her. She asked to be taken to the refreshments, and he was about to oblige before she went on to suggest that he take her home altogether. โ€œHome?โ€ he repeated, and moved to hold her shoulders at armโ€™s length so he could look her directly in the eyes. โ€œDear sister, I know such large social events can affect you, but you have not yet been here an hour! I really must insist you give this opportunity a chance.โ€ He looked her over with a close eye, trying to spot any sign of ill health. A touch of anxiety may disappear on its own, but if she was to faint then he would feel responsible.

Augustus couldnโ€™t be too disappointed when Sophy at last departed from his side in search of Amelia. She sought the comfort of her family, and he couldnโ€™t blame her, not when she had overcome enough anxiety to accept a dance only for it to fall through in such a dramatic way. He watched her make her way over to their sister, at least glad that she was in safe hands. An odd feeling was forming in the pit of his stomach, one that he couldnโ€™t quite place.

A welcome voice came into earshot and he turned to find Celestine standing before him. A broad smile came over him, accompanied by a wave of relief. โ€œLady Celestine,โ€ he said through an exhale. โ€œDo forgive me - I meant to return to you, but became distracted. Sophy has rather an anxious mind. I fear I shall be watching over her this whole season!โ€ Despite the comforting presence his friend provided, his sense of unease remained. She responded to him not with words, but instead with a warm gaze. He noted her beauty: her sweet smile, her lustrous brunette waves that cascaded down her back, the touch of melancholy in her soulful eyes. Augustusโ€™ smile all but faded, giving way to a more solemn expression. Her eyes appeared to be searching his, and he wondered if maybe the source of his unease was apparent to her, despite remaining in the dark himself.

Still trying to understand what was happening between them, August didnโ€™t follow her gaze straight away when it shifted elsewhere. It was only when she suggested that he ought to speak to somebody that he looked over and saw who she meant. His hand moved to his stomach as he finally recognised the cause of the strange feeling developing inside him: it was Helena. He watched her and Francis converse in the distance before turning back to face Celestine. โ€œMy lady, I would be delighted to continue our dance,โ€ he assured her, attempting to reflect her warmth in his smile. โ€œBut, please, do not speak so lowly of yourself. Your dance card should fill up in no time, and I should be lucky if I find you later with a space left on it for me.โ€ August brought her hand to his mouth and kissed it. โ€œEnjoy the ball, Lady Celestine. Come speak to me any time you wish.โ€ Still with her hand in his, he drew her in close with a mischievous grin on his face, and whispered into her ear, "And don't go committing any murders, will you?"

Now, there was nothing left but to make his way over to Helena. Upon first noticing her on the dance floor, he had been nothing but thrilled. Now, enough time had passed for reality to set in, and he had to acknowledge that it might take some time to work out how to be around each other again. By this point, Francis had gone on his way, and Helena was sitting alone - which was just as well, for Augustus wasnโ€™t sure he was particularly happy with his brother.

โ€œI do hope you were not hurt during that fall?โ€ he asked her, as soon as he was close enough. He did not sit, instead choosing to stand nearby with his hands connecting neatly behind his back. Despite the discomfort swirling inside him, he couldnโ€™t help but smile at her. โ€œThe Irish gentleman who fell into you - Iโ€™m sure I remember his father introducing him as a physician. If I can find him, Iโ€™m sure he would be willing to tend to any injuries you may have sustained.โ€

Interactions
Bellz Bellz Celestine, Helena
SandraDeelightful SandraDeelightful Sophy
CapellaStargaze CapellaStargaze Francis (mentioned)

WESTON SINCLAIRE
MARQUESS OF WINCHESTER
Mildly Entertained
Kew Palace
Mama Bloom Bellz Bellz and Tilly AnimeGenork AnimeGenork
"Are you enjoying the party? I know my own sons find such festivities rather taxing, yet there they are on the dance floorโ€ฆeven if they are causing quite a ruckus,"

Westonโ€™s eyes moved to follow Victoriaโ€™s gaze towards the dance floor, and while he was able to make out the figures of a few who had been caught in the midst of what appeared to be quite the tumble, he was unable to pick out which of the women among them were the Viscountessโ€™ daughters. When the elder woman asked if he was enjoying the party, he searched for the right words to answer her, pausing momentarily.

โ€œMy younger sister used to make me dance her around the study balanced on my toes. It was quite the chore thenโ€ฆ though Iโ€™m starting to warm up to it.โ€
he grinned wryly before turning his attention to Matilda, whom Victoria had expressed held quite a fondness for dancing. When Matilda confirmed the notion, he couldnโ€™t help but cock an eyebrow at her, the faintest hint of mischief glimmering in his eyes as he folded his arms over his chest.

โ€œA regular ballerina in our midst and theyโ€™ve made you sit out on all the fun?โ€
he tsked a few times, shaking his head in disappointment. โ€œNo, it simply will not do. Miss Bloomington, with your motherโ€™s permission of course, you absolutely must give me the honor of your first dance. A dress rehearsal if you will, for when you finally show society what weโ€™ve been missing.โ€ Weston extended a hand towards Matilda with a playful smile, though was careful to keep his distance in case Victoria should decide it was improper for her youngest to take to the floor just yet.
coded by natasha.

Francis Bloomington

Francis gave Helena a small smile before giving her a small bow. He was glad for this time he had with her tonight even if it was cut a little short.

โ€œI do hope we can catch up more soon.โ€ He straightened up, hoping they truly did. He wasnโ€™t sure where his brotherโ€™s head was at when it came to Helena but that would be something August would have to figure out on his own.

Francis turned away to leave just in time to see a servant rip a young ladies dress. She looked mortified at how high the rip was and the servant seemed remorseful. He noted how even in her distress, she stayed kind and it was all he needed to hop in to save her from anyone else noticing.

Francis walked to the girl and gave her a small reassuring smile. He held his arm out and glanced around the room.

โ€œWhy donโ€™t we get you out of here before this wardrobe malfunction is the talk of The Ton. What do you say?โ€

Francis looked past her to see his mother conversing with another woman and a man that had to be around his age. Surely his mother wouldnโ€™t mind him pulling her away to chaperone. โ€œI promise we will have a chaperone and we can find something to cover that rip in your dress.โ€

girls like you

VSQ

โ™กcoded by uxieโ™ก

• Theodore Willowby

Teddy was going to have to figure out a way to cover up his embarrassing social blunder. Seriously, why couldnโ€™t his stepfather have given him some more decorum lessons before throwing him to the stampede? Not that the lady in front of her seemed offended by his breach of convention, introducing herself as Lydia Sinclaire. Frankly, Teddy wouldnโ€™t have recognized the name even if his stepfather had caught him up on everyone. Heโ€™d heard there was a system the young ladies had to learn the names of the ton membersโ€”why couldnโ€™t he be afforded the same thing?

Of course, as soon as he told his parents who he had danced with, they would probably be reacting differently than he. He was in for some sort of lecture later.

โ€œYou flatter me, Miss Sinclaire.โ€ Or was it Lady? Dear God. Why was this so difficult? โ€œIโ€™m sure you will be able to find much more suitable partners for dancing than I. As I mentioned before, I require more practice.โ€ At least he wasnโ€™t still talking about cows.

Preoccupied as he was with making sure he did not step on Lydia or anyone elseโ€™s feet, Teddy barely noticed the lull in their conversation. He was too afraid to look her in the eye for longer than was polite. Or at all, really. Although he was theoretically supposed to be charming every lady he came across, he was fairly sure he had no chance at his current state, no matter how kind this first young lady was.

Hearing the sound of her clearing her throat, Teddy looked up, his head tilting slightly as he waited. Then he realized the music was winding down, and he slowed his dancing until they came to a stop. Huh. That had been relatively quick, even despite the disaster that had occurred minutes before. A shame that he would now be free to not dance. Truly.

Teddy bowed low in response to Lydiaโ€™s curtsy. She asked him to promise to find her at the next ball, and he opened his mouth dumbly, unsure how to respond. The music responded for him, leaving him speechless at the edge of the dancefloor as she moved away. His mouth snapped shut. Was she just being polite, or was that sincere?

He couldnโ€™t honestly remember when he made his way outside, only that suddenly he was breathing in the night air. Sitting heavily down on the steps, Teddy let himself melt. Leaning his elbows on his knees, he let out a heavy breath. Thank God that was all over. Until next time, that was. But at least now, he had done something, as his parents wanted. Now he was free to sulk and miss his cows. A farm boyโ€™s dream.

Mentions: N/A | Interactions: Lydia | Tags: WanderLust. WanderLust. (ended)​

10th of April, 1815

Lady Helena Bexley
ef3c69cbf3ffea59b9472c2ea4d75f0e.jpg
The floor was not vacant for long following their brief encounter, as a resplendent array of colored skirts, resembling a field of blossoms swaying in a gentle spring breeze, moved in harmony with the next melody โ€” a quadrille, more languid than the previous tune. Despite her slight pain, Helena's face remained adorned with a smile. It was truly enchanting to behold a gathering of people united for such a delightful activity. For a fleeting moment, her thoughts were liberated from the looming concerns and she found herself, in spirit, on the dance floor once more, where she had reveled only moments earlier โ€” a place she genuinely cherished. Or at least she had cherished it once, in a simpler time of her life.

The reprieve from her anxiety was but fleeting, as the voice that haunted her most nights spoke with such gentle grace that, had she not already been seated, it might have rendered her weak at the knees. Foolish, indeed. Helena drew a measured breath, affording herself a moment to gather her composure before turning to greet August with a soft grin. Her eyes widened slightly at the sight of his smile, though Helena swiftly endeavored to regain her poise. She observed that he did not attempt to sit, choosing instead to stand close by with his hands elegantly clasped behind his back.

The peculiar sensation in her chest signified a slight hurt, but what right had she to feel thus? She must keep her wits about her. August and she were naught but friends...or perhaps not even that, once this next season concluded. Helena had confided in Frankie that their dynamic had shifted, evidence of her resolve to shield her heart. It was truly vexing to endure another season witnessing Victoria orchestrate match after match for August with numerous young ladies. And yet, here she was, ready to subject herself to the same torment once more.

"It is quite alright, Viscount. I can assure you," Helena intoned, shifting to rotate her ankle lightly beneath her dress, her shoe peeking through ever so slightly. Despite her best efforts, the pain was evident in her features, yet she shrugged nonetheless. "You neednโ€™t worry about me." She met his gaze, hoping he could perceive the sincerity in her words. A slightly awkward pause ensued, threatening to engulf her entirely, prompting Helena to swiftly change the subject.

"Besides, one cannot fault that gentleman for my own lack of grace. Have I ever been the epitome of elegance?" Helena laughed, shaking her head in amusement. "Do you recall the incident with your motherโ€™s apple tree? I spent an entire summer nursing a broken wrist, all in a determined quest for the largest apple. I can still picture her stern gaze in the drawing room as she questioned what on earth possessed me. And you, dear August, nearly choked on your tea when I candidly confessed that I hadn't been thinking at all." She sighed wistfully at the memory, then turned her gaze upon August, their eyes meeting in a moment of shared recollection.

She had all but forgotten the astonishing azure of his eyes, or the manner in which his hair cascaded in those exquisite waves. Indeed, she had ardently endeavored to erase these memories, tirelessly occupying herself with such a futile purpose. Yet, all efforts were in vain.โ€จ

This very moment had illuminated the undeniable truth: there was no conceivable way that anyone in their right mind could ever forget Augustus Bloomington.

"I must apologize for my brusqueness on the dance floor," she breathed, averting her gaze from him to the dancers twirling nearby. "It has been quite some time since we last saw each other and..." Helena bit the inside of her cheek, lost in contemplation. Gathering her courage, she dared to glance back at Augustus, her brown eyes softening. "It is a relief to see you well. Letters, even those exchanged with the utmost frequency, can sometimes prove insufficient reassurance." Helena's chest tightened with the weight of her emotions. In the quiet confines of her chambers, those missives had become her tether, clutching them close in moments of profound solitude. With her dear parents lost to the embrace of eternity, Austria held no kin for her anymore. Her adored grandparents, though cherished beyond measure, bore the frailty of the mortal coil.

August and the Bloomingtons had woven themselves into her heart as dearly as blood, their presence a solace amidst the tempest of her fears. The mere notion of peril striking any of them in her absence wrought an ache of anxious apprehension within her, most of all for him. Beholding him now, it was as if a figment from a reverie had manifested before her eyesโ€”a vision teetering precariously on the brink of nightmare should Helena fail to withdraw from the man she had once loved, and yet found herself still capable of loving. Aware of her sudden emotion, she lightly cleared her throat. "I do hope you've managed to stay out of trouble without my presence to keep you in line?" Her tone was as light as it could be, teasing him once more.
with: August Pyroclast Pyroclast

Morgan Davenport

Morgan watched as Edmund left with his father, a familiar look on Edmundโ€™s face reminded him of himself when it came to his own father. Morgan composed himself quickly to ignore the feeling to go after him. What would people think anyway? He took a long breath before looking around the room. The chaos had started to dissipate and he took that queue to make his way off the dance floor. Most people would have went for a drink in this situation but he just grabbed a lemonade and tried to push his thoughts out of his head. The thoughts that went to the man that caused the whole fiasco. Was he alright? Was Edmundโ€™s father like Morganโ€™s? He took a sip of the tangy liquid to clear his thoughts. He was supposed to be finding someone to court, not thinking about the clumsy and handsome newcomer of the Ton.

Morgan looked around the room, spotting some of his siblings milling about the room. He knew better than to think they were having an unblemished night but thatโ€™s just the weight you carried around as a Davenport. He knew they probably all had heavy secrets and he just hoped they were less self destructing than his own. He took another look around and spotted Amelia. She was definitely someone who would please his parents and he did enjoy her company. He just hated the idea of never being able to be truly honest not with anyone.

Before he could completely drown in his self loathing, he watched Edmund come back through the ballroom, only to disappear out the garden door moments later. Morgan sighed before putting down his glass and quietly following the same path. When he walked outside, the welcoming cool air moved his hair as he scanned the garden. He didnโ€™t see any sight of Edmund but Morgan got curious as his eyes landed on the maze. He stepped forward and entered to see if his hunch was correct.

Morgan silently walked through the maze for a moment before seeing a shadow of a man in a corner of the maze. He approached slowly, hoping it was the man he was looking for and not someone else. What was he truly doing anyway? Why did Morgan care so much? He couldnโ€™t really answer those questions and proceeded to walk closer until Edmund was clearer to see.

โ€œAre you alright?โ€ Morgan asked, his tone etched in worry. He stood with a good few feet of distance between him, not wanting his own feelings to muddle whatever this was. It wasnโ€™t likely that this man he met minutes ago even shared the same secrets as Morgan and yet, here Morgan was in a maze checking up on a stranger.

Bad Guy

VSQ

โ™กcoded by uxieโ™ก

10th of April, 1815
~ Kew Palace, The Maze ~

Lord Edmund Hennessy

1b14e4bf728385547497b419b151c549.gifOnly after turning a few corners in the maze did Edmund begin to feel better. He had no intention of losing his way, but being out of sight from the rest of the party guests gave him the time he needed to ground himself. If his father were to find him there, Edmund was sure the man would hit him again, but the risk was worth it just to have some time alone and recompose himself. Nobody else would come looking for him, he was sure of that, and if he did hear anybody enter the maze then he could always move deeper inside. He loosened his cravat, closed his eyes and took some deep, controlled breaths. The cool evening air soothed him and soon his heartbeat had slowed to a regular pace and the lump in his throat dissolved.

Edmund had spent his whole life trying to get along with his parents purely in order to maintain peace within the family. It helped to distance himself as much as he felt he could get away with. The way they had treated their disabled son, Edmundโ€™s favourite brother and best friend, was, in his opinion, totally inhumane. They never saw him as a person, but as a hindrance, an animal who needed to be locked away and never spoken about. To them, Benjamin amounted to nothing more than his disabilities. They didnโ€™t know anything about him. But Edmund knew him. He knew that his favourite colour was green, that he loved flowers, ducks and giving hugs. He knew that putting on shadow puppet shows was a surefire way to make him laugh, and that he was fascinated by unusual coins. And he knew that, any time his parents were particularly insufferable, Edmund could go to his brother and escape into a world of love and laughter.

That world didnโ€™t exist anymore. Benjamin was dead, and Edmund was standing alone in a dark maze. At least it was peaceful. Quiet.

Until suddenly, a voice penetrated the silence. Edmund jumped, startled by the close proximity from which the voice came. How had he not heard the approaching footsteps? He quickly darted around another corner, but stopped short, realising that running through a maze in the dark would almost certainly get him lost. Tucking himself into a dead end, only separated from the man by the width of the tall hedge, Edmund decided he would have to respond. โ€œYes, I'm alright,โ€ he said in a clear voice, instantly cringing at himself. He only hoped his father's hand hadn't left a visible mark on his cheek. A silence fell between them, yet he could just about see through the hedge that the man was still there, as if waiting for him. It was the Davenport boy. With slow, tentative steps, Edmund crept around the hedge until the two men were standing face to face, a few feet apart from one another. Had heโ€ฆcome looking for him?

โ€œIt's a lovely evening,โ€ he said awkwardly. โ€œI was onlyโ€ฆcoming out to view the stars. Except, it's too early to see them, of course, soโ€ฆโ€ His voice trailed off. Everything he said sounded stupid. He grew suddenly aware of how unkempt he must look with his cravat undone, and reached a hand up to his neck to hide it. He looked away, searching for something else to focus on. But he could feel the man's magnetic gaze on him, drawing him back in, and Edmund found himself giving into him all too soon. Those dangerous blue eyes, glimmering in the low light.

โ€œDid -โ€ he cleared his throat. โ€œDid you decide to leave the party, too? It was quite warm in there, I thought. Sometimesโ€ฆsometimes you just have to get away from it all."

Interactions
CapellaStargaze CapellaStargaze Morgan

Last edited:

Morgan Davenport

Morgan watched as Edmund tried to hide in the shadows at first. Maybe he shouldโ€™ve waited to come out here. Still, he waited until he got a reply in return, the man pushing out of the shadows. Morgan watched as the gap between them grew shorter than before. He could feel his pulse quicken but he shoved that feeling down, looking at Edmund. He was slightly shorter than Morgan but his shoulders were broader, his disheveled appearance more of a plus than a negative.

Edmundโ€™s quick comment about the stars have Morgan looking at the sky for a moment before casting his gaze back to where it was before. He gazed at the hand that tried to hide his cravat. Morgan was too focused on his hand for a moment and then his face, that it almost startled him when he gazed back. His deep eyes felt like they reached Morganโ€™s soul. He was almost entranced before Edmund clearing his throat made Morgan avert his gaze to maze around them.

He let out a breathless laugh at Edmundโ€™s question. He did leave the party but it was only to chase some fantasy and make sure the stranger he met was alright.

โ€œI know the feeling all too well well about these parties being a bit much but I like to think Iโ€™ll act like it doesnโ€™t bother me and one day, maybe thatโ€™ll come true.โ€ He sighed and glanced back in Edmundโ€™s direction, a wall of Morganโ€™s falling down as they met gazes again.

โ€œWe have all these rules and expectations that society has set, that our parents have set for us and yet they forget how suffocating it can become.โ€

Bad Guy

VSQ

โ™กcoded by uxieโ™ก

10th of April, 1815
grand royal ballroom, Kew Palace (Outlines of Dancefloor)

Lady Victoria Bloomington
a5d410610bac0bcf3ce97ed38ac2b241.jpg
Victoria arched an elegant brow at Matilda's audacious introduction. Though she remained silent, her heart swelled with pride. The Ton, with its faรงade of propriety and occasional hints of frailty, often struck Victoria as a den of serpents. In her youth, she had learned the necessity of becoming a serpent herself when the occasion demanded it. Her parents had loathed this approach, yet it had secured her a fortuitous match. Observing her youngest daughter, she recognized that same indomitable spirit and felt a surge of maternal pride. All her teachings would soon bear fruit as Matilda prepared to join her sisters in society.โ€จ

When Weston sought her permission to escort Matilda to the dance floor, Victoria scarcely gave a thought to the potential whispers of those around them. She knew that Tilly had longed for her moment in the spotlight, and though her past antics had ranged from the scandalous to the merely notable, Victoria understood her daughter better than most.โ€จ

"I do not see why that would be a problem. Though be warned, Marquess. It is not my sons you will need to worry about should my daughter find your company lacking," she declared. Despite the veiled warning, Victoria's smile remained as warm as ever, her eyes gleaming brightly though they carried a distant, unmistakable caution.

From the corner of her eye, it was then that she observed Francis approaching with a young lady. "It would appear that my son requires my attention for a moment. Lady Sinclaire, if you would be so kind as to keep an eye on my daughter in my absence," she requested.โ€จ

She concealed the handful Matilda could be, simply smiling at her daughter and saying, "I trust that you will be well, yes? Enjoy yourself."โ€จWith that, she excused herself gracefully and glided over to Francis and Lydia, her smile now softening as it reached her eyes. "Apologies, my dear. I was merely ensuring the Marquess was aware of what he was getting into, both with Matilda and with myself, should anything go amiss."โ€จ

"Are you both in need of a chaperone?"
she inquired, her tone friendly and uplifting, devoid of any threat, as she looked at Lydia with a glimmer of hope. She noticed the tear but chose to say nothing, not wishing to draw attention to it for the womanโ€™s sake.
with: Francis CapellaStargaze CapellaStargaze ; Lydia WanderLust. WanderLust.
was with: Matilda AnimeGenork AnimeGenork ; Weston WanderLust. WanderLust.

• Matilda Bloomington

Oh, this gentleman was a riot. Matilda chuckled lightly, her smile losing its dangerous edge but not faltering in the slightest. โ€œA ballerina I am not, though Iโ€™m sure I would impress anyone who witnessed my dancing. I learned directly from Mama. โ€œ It was Matildaโ€™s turn to raise an eyebrow at the young manโ€™sโ€”Weston, if she had heard correctlyโ€”suggestion. How audacious, positively scandalous! Which meant, of course, that Matilda adored the notion.

She turned her gaze briefly to her mother, awaiting her approval, which she gave in spades and change. Matildaโ€™s smile morphed into a smirk at the veiled threat in her motherโ€™s words, her heart swelling with love for her dear parent, as she curtsied to the marquess. โ€œI would be delighted to dance with you, Marquess Sinclaire. Let them all be dazzled by my dancing.โ€

Taking his hand, Matilda approached the dancefloor, noting that the commotion from earlier seemed to have dispersed. She would have to interrogate her brothers and sisters later for the details, or perhaps Lady Whistledown would do her a favor and recount it blow for blow in her column tomorrow. Oh, how she was looking forward to it.

There were stares, of course, some catching the heightened hem of her dress. Matilda ignored them all, turning instead to her unexpected dance partner. She had to tamp down the roiling chaos within her, but some of it slipped out despite herself. โ€œYou mentioned your sister balancing on your toes, perhaps I should do the same? I might be a tad harder to balance, considering my age, but it would be amusing, would it not?โ€

Ah, but that would hardly show off her skills, now, would it? โ€œI jest, of course, considering our reason for dancing. Thank you for offering this dress rehearsal of sorts. It was dreadfully boring sticking to the wall. I do hope youโ€™ll offer again when I am officially out.โ€ At least she would be able to skip the introduction then. The worst part of interactions in this society.

โ€œAnd how are you finding London this season?โ€ she asked, moving the conversation along as fluidly as the dance. It would not do to show her hand too soon. Let her save her flirting for a more opportune moment.

Mentions: The Other Bloomingtons | Interactions: Victoria (formerly), Weston | Tags: Bellz Bellz WanderLust. WanderLust.

WESTON SINCLAIRE
MARQUESS OF WINCHESTER
Mildly Entertained
Kew Palace
Mama Bloom Bellz Bellz and Tilly AnimeGenork AnimeGenork
"I do not see why that would be a problem. Though be warned, Marquess. It is not my sons you will need to worry about should my daughter find your company lacking,"

Victoria Bloomingtonโ€™s thinly veiled warning was enough to pique Westonโ€™s interest, a devil-may-care smile tugging at the corner of his mouth as he extended a hand towards Matilda. โ€œI assure you, Lady Bloomington, I shall relish the challenge. It is not every day oneโ€™s conviction is evaluated by such formidable judges of character.โ€ Weston bowed his head politely in farewell to the dowager viscountess before leading Matilda out to the dance floor, largely unphased by the lingering glances they received as members of the ton began to realize the hem of his partnerโ€™s dress did not quite brush the floor yet.

โ€œYou mentioned your sister balancing on your toes, perhaps I should do the same? I might be a tad harder to balance, considering my age, but it would be amusing, would it not?โ€

Matildaโ€™s comment elicited a wry chuckle from Weston, who was exceedingly careful to place his hand on her waist just so, no higher or lower than was appropriate. He knew it wasnโ€™t common practice for a bachelor to take to the floor with a young lady who was not yet out in society, but despite his motherโ€™s obsession with proper society, Weston found he cared very little for the opinions of those who would come to such assumptions. The reality was he simply enjoyed Tillyโ€™s company, and was happy to partake in a dance with the young lady if it gave her the opportunity to blossom on the dancefloor instead of wilting on the wall.

โ€œI fear those lovely shoes of yours might complicate such a balancing act.โ€ Of course, he knew Tilly had been making the comment in good fun, but he didnโ€™t let that dissuade him. โ€œBesides, youโ€™re a much better dancer than Lydia,โ€ he grinned. โ€œShe wouldโ€™ve stepped on my toes at least thrice by now. You seem to be excelling without such accommodations, Miss Bloomington.โ€ He raised his hand gently to turn Matilda underneath, and as their dance progressed he had to admit he was quite impressed with the young ladyโ€™s proficiency in the steps. Surely she mustโ€™ve practiced with her own brothers in the same way Weston had rehearsed with Lydia.

โ€œI jest, of course, considering our reason for dancing. Thank you for offering this dress rehearsal of sorts. It was dreadfully boring sticking to the wall. I do hope youโ€™ll offer again when I am officially out.โ€

โ€œYes, I believe I would quite enjoy the opportunity to dance with you again when the eyes of the ton are lessโ€ฆ scrutinizing. Though I doubt youโ€™ll be in any short supply of similar requests. I suppose Iโ€™ll just have to get in line with the rest of them.โ€ His eyes drifted towards the edge of the dance floor, where his mother was keenly observing his dance with the youngest Bloomington daughter. It was no secret that she was less than enthused by his choice of partner, if only because she was not yet an eligible bride. A waste of time, Odette would declare, to entertain a dance with a flower that had not yet bloomed, regardless of her familyโ€™s impeccable social standing. But Weston was no stranger to disappointing the dowager marchioness.
coded by natasha.

tumblr_9e52693ac531e019baa986b64df39b13_2b73113a_540.gif
Sophy Bloomington​

โ€œI am well, I think,โ€ Sophy said, her cheeks still burning red. She smiled in thanks as she took the glass of lemonade from Amelia.

She thought about Ameliaโ€™s question for a moment. Did she enjoy it? The image of Lord Hennessy falling to the floor and knocking poor Lady Helena down as well was replaying in her mind. She tried to push it down as she thought to the moments before the accident. There seemed to be a mutual understanding of the awkwardness between them, dancing with someone who they knew nothing about, apart from a name.

โ€œIt wasโ€ฆโ€ Sophy trailed off, trying to think of how exactly she felt after dancing with Lord Hennessey. She didnโ€™t dislike her time with him, until their accident at the end. โ€œIt was nice, I suppose, while it lasted. Lord Hennessy was indeed charming, but there doesnโ€™t seem to be interest in me, apart from that dance,โ€ Sophy confided in her sister. She thought for a moment, before she continued. โ€œIf he were to call on me, I would not refuse him. But I do not expect him to. He was only doing it because his father pushed him to.โ€

She did not hold a grudge against Lord Hennessy for dancing with her on his fatherโ€™s orders. And she could not blame him for following his fatherโ€™s orders. From their brief interactionโ€“though it was hardly an interaction when he had spoken to Augustus and only referred to herโ€“he seemed to be a rather domineering individual.

Sophy took a sip of her lemonade, and a small smile crossed her face as she turned to Amelia. โ€œIโ€™m proud of myself, I think. I danced, which is more than I was expecting.โ€ Amelia was, perhaps, the person in her family she trusted most.

She was proud of herself, she decided. She had been terrified to dance with anyone, at all. It had gone terribly, yes, and she was still embarrassed, but she didnโ€™t run from the room in fear, not stopping until she reached home. But she hadnโ€™t, and in her mind, that was a victory. A small one, yes, but a victory nonetheless. She doubted that things could go worse throughout the rest of the season. Or, at least, she hoped.

โ€œBut what of you?โ€ Amelia asked, an eager undertone in her soft voice. She knew her sister would have no trouble finding a match. โ€œYou and Lord Morgan looked to be having a grand time? Iโ€™m sorry it ended so abruptly.โ€

Users who are viewing this thread

Back