Immortality

Because they are evil, and like laughing at your pain. ;) More likely, though, to let people know and get them interested in upcoming Infernal information.

Personally, I think Infernals are more than a little overrated and the whole tendency of the Ink Monkeys to give them more love than everyone else so far a little sad, but...well. I suppose the massive interest they had without getting a book in 1E kind of pushed people to see they make up for it in 2E.

As for Immortality? There's tons of ways to pull it off. Get a Hearthstone, or the Verdigris Circlet. Take the Immortality Blight as a Godblood. Become a god and get to Essence 3, the most reliable method of immortality, now not only do you not age, but you can neither drop lower in essence from lack of prayers or the like, nor can you stay dead without god killing attacks so long as you have a sanctum. Snack on a Peach of Immortality every now and again. Actually, in some ways it's amusing...a mortal or godblood has an easier time becoming truly immortal than an Exalt, despite their lesser power of their own. After all, they can bargain a bit with a God or Demon for Endowment, or the like...or potentially become an Abyssal. Most Exalts are out of luck there, save for Solars that choose to sell out and become Abyssals themselves. Otherwise, well, be an Abyssal or Alchemical and laugh as everyone else eventually dies of old age, and you don't. Though it's perhaps arguable that the Alchemical isn't truly alive in the first place...being a soul in a false body, and not a true living thing.

Infernal-specific content totals at 43 Charms, 12 pages.

Other Charms, which include an Infernal-preferential martial arts style, totals 62 Charms in 17 pages.

Then there's four pages of Autochthonian stuff, with an artifact and a large amount of background story material that weaves in and around some new thaumaturgical rituals.

Then there's 37 pages of almost entirely non-Infernal setting stuff, including the singularly massive and glorious write-up of the Daystar.

Then there's the fact that Michael Goodwin had something approaching carte blanche to do whatever he wants with Infernals, because they are his babies more so than any other "splat" is any single person's, making it easier to write and release Infernal material.

Then there's the roughly 37 pages (probably closer to 30 without all the art) of Dreams errata recently, which draws pretty much from the same bank of time and effort as the Ink Monkeys material and contains absolutely nothing dealing with the Infernals.

We probably won't get any more Infernal stuff until after November, anyways. I imagine all the various ideas are being channeled into the Infernal side book instead.

Aasharu said:
While a Sidereal is fated to die, and no force in Creation can change that
I don't know where you are getting that. The Sidereal book specifically counters this notion when discussing Kejak's looming mortality - the Bronze Faction has been trying to hook him up with that hearthstone that makes its bearer immortal - he refuses the plan, not because it wouldn't work, but because it would be better in the long run for to wrap up his affairs in Creation and just die rather than carry on and leave all his plans in the lurch because someone sabotaged his manse. Of course, I don't know exactly how well he'd get on after his expiration date with the Maiden of Endings.

I don't think there's anything that says Sidereals are "fated" to die, especially since one of the basic cosmological aspects of Creation and the Loom is that essence use rewrites fate. If there is some particular passage that eludes to this vague fate, I would toss it out as fluffy, poorly accounted lore rather than hard-line mechanics that cannot be defied. I would assume that Sidereals could use any life-extension technique available to other Exalted... I just wouldn't take any soulsteel nickels.

cordimus said:
Aasharu said:
While a Sidereal is fated to die, and no force in Creation can change that
I don't know where you are getting that. ... I would toss it out as fluffy, poorly accounted lore rather than hard-line mechanics that cannot be defied. I would assume that Sidereals could use any life-extension technique available to other Exalted... I just wouldn't take any soulsteel nickels.
I think its actually the other way round, and the writer of the MoEP: Sidereals is the one wrong, which should be unsurprising.

The sidebar in DotFA, Lands of Creation p36 specifically calls out that Sidereals can't extend their lives by any means.

MrMephistopheles said:
Aasharu said:
Where is it implied that Infernals gain immortality? Is it actually mentioned anywhere, or is it just an assumption based on the primordial nature of their powers?
When asked about GSP lifespans, Neph replied with rather cryptic answers. From what has been hinted here and there. GSP's can become Primordials or transcend in other ways that equally make them ageless.
ive seen it said a few times and i must admit i havent read the book front to back but could anyone give a page number for this, i would love to read how this might happen with a GSP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back