Hey, the Wiki needs your love! [[Offical WW Contest!]]

StarHawk

Calling all Wiki Contributors!

White Wolf has finally approved an Exalted Wiki Contribution Contest! What that means is that we're looking for people who can add to and improve the Exalted Wiki! In thanks for contributing to the Exalted Wiki, seven lucky winners will have the opportunity to win a brand new Exalted book, signed by John Chambers and Brian Glass! This contest will run between March 1st at 8:00AM (EST) and April 1st at 8:00AM (EST). This will give you one month to contribute to the Exalted Wiki and earn your chance to win!

So what do I have to do to win?

1. Only edits made while you're logged in to your account name will be accepted. Any edits while not logged into your account name (such as being logged into someone else's account or those recorded from a particular IP address) will not be applied to your contribution total, even if you sign your name to the edit. If you have to register an account here on the wiki, please do so.

2. Character count will be applied to contribution total, not number of edits. Contribution count will begin on the first day of the contest. It will not be retroactive to all previous contributions.

3. Contributions may not be cloned over from other websites (such as Fixalted, the Old Exalted Wiki, RPG.net, etc...). Any contribution found to have 20% or more of its material cloned over from another website will be disqualified from inclusion in the contribution count. We're not cloning over our own old works, or worse, stealing someone else's.

4. All contributions must follow the guideline as follows: "When referencing official content from one of the sourcebooks, please reference the material rather than reproducing it. Errata and/or book/page references are appreciated. Do not post the contents of the books themselves. No entry should diminish, even slightly, the necessity of anyone owning the book that is being referenced." This means that contributions can be synthesized from books, but you can't reproduce information word-for-word by necessity, as has been standard contribution policy thus far.

5. If you choose to expand our base of canon information, you may, but please follow the previous point when doing so. Consult other similar articles to see how these materials are presented.

6. Over the one-month period, only contributors who contribute 30,000+ characters of new information to the Wiki will be considered for the prize. This establishes a minimum of content for those who want to win.

7. Custom Charms will not be accepted into the contribution count. We already have an overabundance of custom Charms on the wiki as is. The same goes for specialty daiklaves.

8. Contributors must make a decent effort to spell- and grammar-check their contributions. Judges will collaborate to determine users who are not making an effort to contribute clean and well-written materials. Failure to do so is not grounds for disqualification, however, if someone else tags your contribution page with appropriate templates or categories, they can use that to count for their contribution total.

9. Contributors are encouraged to make use of appropriate templates and categories to include in their contributions.

10. Contributions to the mainspace will be counted toward contribution-count, but contributions to talk pages will not. We want content, even though we enjoy your discussion.

11. To enter the contest, you must e-mail me with your full name (first and last) and e-mail address, so that if you win, I can e-mail you and get the address to send a copy of the book (Chosen by White Wolf, Inc.) to your home.

12. If you have any questions about how to contribute or what might be acceptable materials, either check the Quick Start Guide, the Guide to Contributing or ask someone. Knowledge of how to write for a wiki is helpful but not required. You can also check the Wanted Pages to see what articles might need to be created.

13. Failure to comply with any of these rules will result in a one-time warning. Any second occurrence of rule-breaking will result in an automatic disqualification.

14. Any and all judges panel decisions are final and not open for appeal.

Have you got a link to where that page was posted?

I think I'll post alternate underworld scenario. Or would that be cross-posting?

So they're trying to make the official wiki not suck? Good on them.

Flagg said:
I was thinking the same thing. Got pretty tired of clicking on a link for more information, only to see that see that chick with the knives saying "this is a stub" and nothing else there.
Sounds like fun, but I don't think I have 30K worth of characters to even qualify. I'm really hoping this spurs more editing and adding to the wiki so I won't have to go find official White Wolf information on their game (e.g. page references to the books) elsewhere... or more like Elsewhere because that's what it felt like at times. I guess we'll see the results in a month.

Wait, wait, wait.

So, WW is asking people to:

1) write 30,000+ words of original (or at the very least, previously unpublished) material: in short, 50% of a typical novel,

2) in one month,

3) post it up on their proprietary site,

4) where it will be subjected to peer editing and review,

5) for free,

and the reward for doing this is the possibility that they might be handed an autographed WW book worth, what, $30.00?

I'd like to take the opportunity to invite you all to come over and paint my house. You have to paint at least an entire wall to qualify. Oh, and I dont have any paint, ladders or tools, so you'll have to provide that. The person who does the best job of painting (as determined by me) will win the slightly-used candy bar of my choice. :mrgreen:

Hell, I'll even autograph it for you.

Sad to know that WW has their clientele gauged well enough to know that they'll be swamped with submissions.

'Brand New Exalted Book'...hmm, I'll bet WW wants everyone to think that it's going to be Infernals, no? When a brand new Core book would satisfy that definition as well? :mrgreen:

Mempo said:
Wait, wait, wait.

1) write 30,000+ words of original (or at the very least, previously unpublished) material: in short, 50% of a typical novel,

2) in one month,

5) for free,

and the reward for doing this is the possibility that they might be handed an autographed WW book worth, what, $30.00?

I'd like to take the opportunity to invite you all to come over and paint my house. You have to paint at least an entire wall to qualify. Oh, and I dont have any paint, ladders or tools, so you'll have to provide that. The person who does the best job of painting (as determined by me) will win the slightly-used candy bar of my choice. :mrgreen:

No it's characters - half the max for a message in these forums not a novel... or a graphic novel if blood will be spilled. ^.^
strawberryleaves said:
'Brand New Exalted Book'...
I'd laugh if it's a reprint of one of the SoEW with the correct spelling of esoteric instead of esoretic.

OK, I stand corrected. 30K characters is slightly more reasonable.

The offer to paint my house is still open, though. :roll:

Arthur said:
Bodhisattva, who is kinda running the contest in place of WW, posted more information to be found here. Though the bulk of it is exactly the same. I invite everyone to come register and contribute.

@Arthur: You can certainly post your alternative setting, if it counts or not, it would be awesome to have on the wiki.

The best way I can recommend to contribute is look at the list of Stub Articles and see which ones you can fill out. There are still 130+ articles that need to be filled in. There are also 22 Important Stubs which are articles that need something there. Anything with official content helps.

Hello, folks. Bodhisattva here. It's been a long while since I was last active on these forums, but I just wanted to give you a bit more information on what StarHawk was wonderful enough to present to you here. This is the full text of the Contribution Contest. I hope you're all willing and eager to participate!

Calling all Wiki Contributors!

White Wolf has finally approved an Exalted Wiki Contribution Contest! What that means is that we're looking for people who can add to and improve the Exalted Wiki! In thanks for contributing to the Exalted Wiki, seven lucky winners will have the opportunity to win a brand new Exalted book, signed by John Chambers and Brian Glass! This contest will run between March 1st at 8:00AM (EST) and April 1st at 8:00AM (EST). This will give you one month to contribute to the Exalted Wiki and earn your chance to win!

So what do I have to do to win?

The following guidelines have been established and agreed upon by our judges panel (Bodhisattva, HLS and StarHawk) for this contest.

1. Only edits made while you're logged in to your account name will be accepted. Any edits while not logged into your account name (such as being logged into someone else's account or those recorded from a particular IP address) will not be applied to your contribution total, even if you sign your name to the edit. If you have to register an account here on the wiki, please do so.

2. Character count will be applied to contribution total, not number of edits. Contribution count will begin on the first day of the contest. It will not be retroactive to all previous contributions.

3. Contributions may not be cloned over from other websites (such as Fixalted, the Old Exalted Wiki, RPG.net, etc...). Any contribution found to have 20% or more of its material cloned over from another website will be disqualified from inclusion in the contribution count. We're not cloning over our own old works, or worse, stealing someone else's.

4. All contributions must follow the guideline as follows: "When referencing official content from one of the sourcebooks, please reference the material rather than reproducing it. Errata and/or book/page references are appreciated. Do not post the contents of the books themselves. No entry should diminish, even slightly, the necessity of anyone owning the book that is being referenced." This means that contributions can be synthesized from books, but you can't reproduce information word-for-word by necessity, as has been standard contribution policy thus far.

5. If you choose to expand our base of canon information, you may, but please follow the previous point when doing so. Consult other similar articles to see how these materials are presented.

6. Over the one-month period, only contributors who contribute 30,000+ characters of new information to the Wiki will be considered for the prize. This establishes a minimum of content for those who want to win.

7. All content must go in its appropriate namespaces. Characters go in the Character: namespace (example - Characters:Dace or Characters:Maiden of the Mirthless Smile), Charms go in the Charms: namespace (example - Charms:Heavenly Guardian Defense or Charms:Spirit Strengthens the Skin), Manses go in the Manses: namespace, Hearthstones go in the Hearthstones: namespace, Artifacts go in the Artifacts: namespace, etc... Check the wiki for the available list of namespaces or look at Help:Contributing_Content/Page_2.

8. Custom Charms will not be accepted into the contribution count. We already have an overabundance of custom Charms on the wiki as is. The same goes for specialty daiklaves.

9. Contributors must make a decent effort to spell- and grammar-check their contributions. Judges will collaborate to determine users who are not making an effort to contribute clean and well-written materials. Failure to do so is not grounds for disqualification, however, if someone else tags your contribution page with appropriate templates or categories, they can use that to count for their contribution total.

10. Contributors are encouraged to make use of appropriate templates and categories to include in their contributions.

11. Contributions to the mainspace will be counted toward contribution-count, but contributions to talk pages will not. We want content, even though we enjoy your discussion.

12. To enter the contest, you must e-mail Bodhisattva with your full name (first and last) and e-mail address, so that if you win, he can e-mail you and get the address to send a copy of the book (Chosen by White Wolf, Inc.) to your home.

13. If you have any questions about how to contribute or what might be acceptable materials, either check the Quick Start Guide, the Guide to Contributing or ask someone. Knowledge of how to write for a wiki is helpful but not required. You can also check the Wanted Pages to see what articles might need to be created.

Failure to comply with any of these guidelines will result in a one-time warning. Any second occurrence of rule-breaking will result in an automatic disqualification. Any and all judges panel decisions are final and not open for appeal.

Winning Categories:

The following categories have been established for applicants who are looking to win.

Quality of Content - these users have contributed the best articles to the wiki, either in terms of awesome and interesting ideas and concepts, or they simply have contributed the most comprehensive and detailed content in compliance with the aforementioned guidelines.

• Solar Craftsman
    Celestial Craftsman
    Terrestrial Craftsman

Quantity of Content - these users have contributed the most content to this contest in compliance with the aforementioned guidelines.

• Solar Contributor
    Celestial Contributor
    Terrestrial Contributor

First Age Savant - this lone user stands above all the rest in terms of both the quality and quantity of their content for having the most outstanding contributions to the Exalted Wiki!

Arthur said:
I think I'll post alternate underworld scenario. Or would that be cross-posting?
As long as your materials are not found elsewhere on the internet, this would not be considered cross-posting. If your Underworld Scenario is available elsewhere on the internet, I'm sorry, but it would not count toward your contribution total.

Flagg said:
I was thinking the same thing. Got pretty tired of clicking on a link for more information, only to see that see that chick with the knives saying "this is a stub" and nothing else there.
Sounds like fun, but I don't think I have 30K worth of characters to even qualify. I'm really hoping this spurs more editing and adding to the wiki so I won't have to go find official White Wolf information on their game (e.g. page references to the books) elsewhere... or more like Elsewhere because that's what it felt like at times. I guess we'll see the results in a month.
The problem with the Official Exalted Wiki is the same problem that every wiki has. If the users don't contribute the content, it just won't be there. White Wolf does not post any of their own content. Much of the content is posted by democritus, myself, StarHawk and other dedicated users. If you're looking for information and all you see is a stub template, take a moment and contribute some information to the site. It will make it better for everyone.

Mempo said:
Wait, wait, wait.

2) in one month,

5) for free,

No.

White Wolf is not asking you for anything. This contest is my brain-child and I got White Wolf to give me the go ahead to run it. They're donating books to my contest to improve the wiki for everyone. However, if you don't think that the reward for 30,000+ characters (as in letters and spaces, not words) is not sufficient, no one is forcing you to participate.

Bodhisattva said:
As long as your materials are not found elsewhere on the internet, this would not be considered cross-posting. If your Underworld Scenario is available elsewhere on the internet, I'm sorry, but it would not count toward your contribution total.
What if I've posted (rather detailed) thoughts on the Internet elsewhere? I'm thinking about finally organizing my alternative setting to Exalted and posting it somewhere. Trying to win a free book might be a good enough of an impetus for me. But the thing is, on various places I've posted a number of tidbits regarding that thing... though I doubt they would count more than 20% of the projected total.

Since I tend to get verbose. <_<

Quchu said:
Bodhisattva said:
What if I've posted (rather detailed) thoughts on the Internet elsewhere? I'm thinking about finally organizing my alternative setting to Exalted and posting it somewhere. Trying to win a free book might be a good enough of an impetus for me. But the thing is, on various places I've posted a number of tidbits regarding that thing... though I doubt they would count more than 20% of the projected total.

Since I tend to get verbose. <_<
I'm sorry, but you can not post materials that have been previously posted, even if they are your own. Not only do we not have any way of verifying whether or not it's truly yours, but we're looking for new content written specifically for the contest. I'm sure what you have is great and I'd love to see it on the wiki so that I can look at it and maybe use it for my own games... But, the contest rules are absolute (and for good reason, 'cause if we start making exceptions for anyone, we have to make exceptions for everyone, and then there's no point in having the rule). Please do not post the details of that campaign as a part of your contest contribution. However, please do post it afterward so that everyone can enjoy your brilliant works. :)

Sorry if I sound like a parrot at this time, but Bodhisattva is correct, if your alternative setting is already on the internet, it can't be part of the contribution contest. But please, please, come add it anyway, I think it would be awesome to have all in once place, especially like the wiki.

The common complaint I hear about the wiki is either 1: People don't know the code. or 2: Official information is not there. Both issues can be resolved. When you come across a page that doesn't have information or has the image saying its a stub page, press edit and add information for the wiki. Through this month not only would that get you closer to winning cool swag, but it would be helpful for everyone to have that information. If you want to use formatting, copy and edit it from another page. Or get help from one of the many friendly personalities on the wiki (myself included).

Anyway, I hope to see many people from her contribute.

Oh well, I see. I'll just post them without entering the contest since I already started anyways. :P

I guess I should repeat something I said a while ago about the WW Wiki. Maybe it will help someone win this... well, whatever it is. The actual comment is buried somewhere in here but, paraphrasing, it was something like this:

The main reason White Wolf's wiki has not taken off is that it was never clear what purpose it served that hadn't already been addressed by other sites on the net*. Had White Wolf voiced some kind of purpose or direction for it that set it apart from everything else, it might have been different. Since I can't stand people that bitch about something without suggesting a solution, here is my suggestion: make the official wiki less about people posting their own stuff and more of a sort of "Exalted Encyclopedia", something like the Sixth World is for Shadowrun. Given how deep the Exalted setting is (and how poorly the books are indexed), a site that collected references to canonical information in an organized way would be extremely useful. See, for example, the unofficial wiki's Calibration page for how this might work. The bonus is that, since the White Wolf Wiki is an "official" site, you could go much further with this idea than a typical fan site could, making White Wolf's ownership of the site work for it, instead of (let's face it) against it.

It's been at least a year since I suggested this, maybe two. So far, the only attempt at building such a thing happened outside the White Wolf Wiki, when I launched the short-lived experiment The Enchiridion of All Knowledge.

In spite of the lack of interest in the EOAK, in my opinion making a significant section of the White Wolf Wiki something like it is still a reasonable idea, and I'm sure someone could far surpass 30k characters in doing so.

It just won't be me.

* Even now, for example, compare the less than 2500 pages on the wiki with the over 20,000 on the unofficial one.

wordman said:
I guess I should repeat something I said a while ago about the WW Wiki. Maybe it will help someone win this... well, whatever it is. The actual comment is buried somewhere in here but, paraphrasing, it was something like this:
The main reason White Wolf's wiki has not taken off is that it was never clear what purpose it served that hadn't already been addressed by other sites on the net*. Had White Wolf voiced some kind of purpose or direction for it that set it apart from everything else, it might have been different. Since I can't stand people that bitch about something without suggesting a solution, here is my suggestion: make the official wiki less about people posting their own stuff and more of a sort of "Exalted Encyclopedia", something like the Sixth World is for Shadowrun. Given how deep the Exalted setting is (and how poorly the books are indexed), a site that collected references to canonical information in an organized way would be extremely useful. See, for example, the unofficial wiki's Calibration page for how this might work. The bonus is that, since the White Wolf Wiki is an "official" site, you could go much further with this idea than a typical fan site could, making White Wolf's ownership of the site work for it, instead of (let's face it) against it.

It's been at least a year since I suggested this, maybe two. So far, the only attempt at building such a thing happened outside the White Wolf Wiki, when I launched the short-lived experiment The Enchiridion of All Knowledge.

In spite of the lack of interest in the EOAK, in my opinion making a significant section of the White Wolf Wiki something like it is still a reasonable idea, and I'm sure someone could far surpass 30k characters in doing so.

It just won't be me.

* Even now, for example, compare the less than 2500 pages on the wiki with the over 20,000 on the unofficial one.
Well, there are more users who use the unofficial wiki, first off. There was this huge "scare" when the official wiki was started that White Wolf was going to steal the content that users write up there.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm not even allowed to submit to John Chambers anything that I've written for the wiki. They just don't accept that at all. There was also the concern that ideas would be stolen. Again, this is so far from the truth that it's laughable. John Chambers wants original material when he pays the writers, or updates to currently published materials. Eddy Webb doesn't want the lawsuits from people who would claim that White Wolf stole their stuff. We're specifically told on every project to draw inspiration from wherever we like, but don't steal anybody's stuff. The big scare that old wiki users threw up (and yeah, I realize it's like "vomit", 'cause that's what it really was) was nothing but them jumping at shadows.

But, as I've said, nothing goes on the Official Wiki unless we, the contributors, put it up there. democritus and I have been working to make the Official Exalted Wiki an excellent resource for finding stuff from the books - but where it's falling short is that there are so few users contributing to it on a consistent basis that finding everything you want is difficult. Some stuff is up there, some isn't.

That's the driving force behind this Improvement Drive. I want to get people using this wiki so that you're not waiting on people like myself, StarHawk and democritus (and the other current users of the Exalted Wiki) to get all this information entered. If we can get more people using the wiki, it will become a much better resource for everyone. I already use it to find information on Charms that I don't know the page number of, or what the general effect is. I put up every single spell in second edition. Other users have worked to make the wiki a much more useful resource - and I want to see more and more people on there making it better and better.

I want the wiki to be as popular as Wookieepedia or the WoWWiki. We've got enough fans out there. They just need to come to the wiki and contribute a little bit.

THE EXALTED WIKI WANTS YOU!

I'm not entirely sure why you quoted my whole post, since your post had really nothing at all to do with what I was saying.

wordman said:
I'm not entirely sure why you quoted my whole post, since your post had really nothing at all to do with what I was saying.
Actually, it did, but I'm guessing you missed the significance. I was specifically addressing the encyclopedia commentary with some other thoughts interjected, including referencing your comparison of the old wiki versus the official one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back