Greetings. New old guy here.

Edrondol

Resident Old Guy
Name's Edrondol. Would have been @Dave, but that's already taken. So that guy is my new nemesis.

Let's see, what am I playing now? Nothing. My group all moved out of state and it's been a royal pain in the tuckus to find a new group. Being the old guy (50) has its disadvantages. You young guys are ageist, I tells ya!

What HAVE I played? Well, I started with a little game called Chainmail. You other old people might remember it. It became D&D. I've pretty much played all of the older RP pen & paper games, but haven't played many of the newer ones. I've LARP'd (NERO, ftw!), I've written my own game called Ironwood (which, by the way has been playtested, is published ready, but I never pulled the trigger), and have spent many an hour writing and perfecting that perfect dungeon that the players inexplicably ignore.

That's it for me for now. Now I have to find and kill Dave so I can steal his name.

Welcome to RpN! :)

@Dave

run for your life... you can not escape this man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to RPNation! Being the other old guy on this site (46), I completely understand about the ageist comment! I started my RP experiences with D&D and I also am currently involved with a LARP (not NERO.) This site has been my first foray into forum RP and I must say I'm enjoying myself immensely. If you need help tracking down this Dave person, just let me know. (> :) ) Enjoy and have fun!

Edrondol said:
Name's Edrondol. Would have been @Dave, but that's already taken. So that guy is my new nemesis.
Let's see, what am I playing now? Nothing. My group all moved out of state and it's been a royal pain in the tuckus to find a new group. Being the old guy (50) has its disadvantages. You young guys are ageist, I tells ya!

What HAVE I played? Well, I started with a little game called Chainmail. You other old people might remember it. It became D&D. I've pretty much played all of the older RP pen & paper games, but haven't played many of the newer ones. I've LARP'd (NERO, ftw!), I've written my own game called Ironwood (which, by the way has been playtested, is published ready, but I never pulled the trigger), and have spent many an hour writing and perfecting that perfect dungeon that the players inexplicably ignore.

That's it for me for now. Now I have to find and kill Dave so I can steal his name.
Heh welcome to the site Edrondol ;D!

Steviemac said:
Welcome to RPNation! Being the other old guy on this site (46), I completely understand about the ageist comment! I started my RP experiences with D&D and I also am currently involved with a LARP (not NERO.) This site has been my first foray into forum RP and I must say I'm enjoying myself immensely. If you need help tracking down this Dave person, just let me know. (> :) ) Enjoy and have fun!
There's literally dozens of us! Dozens!

Hey there, new old guy! You made me feel not old at 34 and for that, you're pretty awesome. I hope you enjoy the site and the many games within it. I recently joined and the few threads I've posted in have been filled with people that will make you feel welcome. It's kinda..nice.

I think there is someone on the site who is a year older even than yourself. And, if it makes you feel better, you are far too young to have been the father for some of us. However, there are some here who are young enough for me to have mothered. So, there you go. :)

Also-

Greetings and salutations!

Welcome to RP Nation, where Roleplay is our business.

You've found us, congratulations for choosing the best RP site on the whole intertubes, we're glad you're here and a part of the expanding universe that is RP Nation. Also, now you're officially one of the cool kids.

Before you being your quest to becoming one of the old hats here at RPN, please do take a second and take a look at the site rules. You can find them here: INFO - Official Site Rules | RpNation.com - Best Roleplay Forum.

Unlike the Pirate code, they aren't more like suggestions but rules that we take a bit seriously. If, however, you've got a few pieces of eight you'd like to swing our way, we're always more than happy to take it. (I said, the rules weren't suggestions, never said we weren't piratey mate).

Once you've had a glance over the rules there's more information to be had here: Site Questions & Information | RpNation.com - Best Roleplay Forum. You can find something there to answer just about any question you might have.

Now then, I know that you have to answers that you're wanting answered now and the first is, you can join any RP that is open. You can find the different RP genres here: Roleplays | RpNation.com - Best Roleplay Forum

They're set up by genre so if you're looking for that Belgariad fandom RP (sorry, none yet exists here) then you'll know you aren't going to be looking in the futuristic genre. Each genre has an interest check at the top of the page and you can peruse this to see if anyone is wanting to create an RP.

If you are trolling the RPs and you just gotta make your own futuristic version of the Elenium, then you can pick the genre (future or fandom? I don't know!) and create an interest check. In the interest check you can tell the whole world about your RP and what you want to do with it. If you get enough people to say Aye! then you create your RP.

If you have any questions, issues, or concerns, don't hesitate to get in touch with either the moderators of your forum (the genre), the Super moderators, or even the admin staff. You can do that here: Site Questions & Information

If you have any questions you need to address to me, please tag me in your comments as I don't always get to every single response in every welcome thread and I end up missing a lot of questions. You can do that by using the @ before my handle.

Again, welcome to RPN and happy RPing.

Xylin

Department of Human Resources

Welcome to RPN! Adults can be really ageist, too. I have had employees follow me around stores, or at least watch me. It's kinda like they all believe that as a teenager, I would steal, drive recklessly, etc.

Kestrel said:
Welcome to RPN! Adults can be really ageist, too. I have had employees follow me around stores, or at least watch me. It's kinda like they all believe that as a teenager, I would steal, drive recklessly, etc.
You are correct. It's when they've forgotten that they were once young, too, and have fallen into the trap of "Things are so much worse than when *I* was a kid!" Everyone is always telling us how bad things are when statistically speaking we've never been safer or more crime-free. But when you filter your personal history through the rose-colored lens your memories tend to become a bit skewed.

I promise I won't look down on you because you're young. For every one thing I am better at or know because of personal history, there are two that I am worse at or don't know because I haven't experienced.

@Edrondol Yes memory doesn't always serve even (especially?) for youngins so well either.

Welcome to the site! Can I get in the cool old folks club as an ally or something ;)

Edrondol said:
You are correct. It's when they've forgotten that they were once young, too, and have fallen into the trap of "Things are so much worse than when *I* was a kid!" Everyone is always telling us how bad things are when statistically speaking we've never been safer or more crime-free. But when you filter your personal history through the rose-colored lens your memories tend to become a bit skewed.
I promise I won't look down on you because you're young. For every one thing I am better at or know because of personal history, there are two that I am worse at or don't know because I haven't experienced.
Thank you. I think I know a lot for my age, and I'm not like the average teenage girl.

Kestrel said:
Thank you. I think I know a lot for my age, and I'm not like the average teenage girl.
Not to be insulting, but every teen thinks they know a lot. It's kind of their thing. The older you get the more you realize you don't know. When you're a teen you are still an ideologue and have the strength of your convictions. I kind of admire that. But the world will beat that out of you or at least try. Whether you let it or not is up to you and the fiber of your character. But to some degree almost everyone compromises.

50? Where do you grind for experience? It's ok, I immediately hated myself for making that joke and I'm going to cannonball into a vat of hydrogen peroxide now. Hope you find whatever you're looking for!

Sunkissed said:
Welcome to RPN. :D !
Thanks!

Loco said:
50? Where do you grind for experience? It's ok, I immediately hated myself for making that joke and I'm going to cannonball into a vat of hydrogen peroxide now. Hope you find whatever you're looking for!
Depends. In Diablo 3 I grind rifts and grifts. In WoW I grind everything because it's WoW and that's what you do. I real life I grind at a local university in the Research and Analytics department. It's about as exciting as it sounds. Which is why I game and RP.

Edrondol said:
Not to be insulting, but every teen thinks they know a lot. It's kind of their thing. The older you get the more you realize you don't know. When you're a teen you are still an ideologue and have the strength of your convictions. I kind of admire that. But the world will beat that out of you or at least try. Whether you let it or not is up to you and the fiber of your character. But to some degree almost everyone compromises.
I have had to compromise. Like you said, almost everyone does. I only meant that I don't drink, or smoke or do drugs, like a lot of my classmates, and I have plans after I graduate.

Kestrel said:
I have had to compromise. Like you said, almost everyone does. I only meant that I don't drink, or smoke or do drugs, like a lot of my classmates, and I have plans after I graduate.
Good for you! I, also, am a non-drinker, non-smoker, non-drugs guy. We are rare animals these days, let me tell ya!

Edrondol said:
Good for you! I, also, am a non-drinker, non-smoker, non-drugs guy. We are rare animals these days, let me tell ya!
Thank you. I have my morals, and I stick to them. My friends are either the same way, or they respect my opinions and values and don't force their ideas on me. I have wonderful friends IRL. They're a bit mental, though...

You've got a pretty good following for an introduction threat... That's pretty promising. I'm of the older set as well, and I'll say that there is gold in these hills, and plenty of it, if you pan it right. Age isn't as important as finding people who's gaming style is complementary.

I'm running an awesome nation building campaign! If you somehow can't find what you want out there already you can always create it yourself!!

Best of luck and welcome.

I just love the term "introduction threat". That's the best typo I've seen in a while!

And I'm poking around a lot. People don't seem to know what a VTT is, but there are threads about Roll20 - a VTT. So maybe it's a language difference I'm having so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back