• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Gates of Tirath - Sword & Planet Adventure [Open]

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here

Morgaine Kri Chya

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check

~The Gates of Tirath~​

Name: Morgaine
Character Sheet
Just North East of the Village.
map.PNG

The air shimmered with an unnatural glow, almost like the rippling of heat over desert sands, but this was no warmth of summer. The air between the tall hewn-stones balanced atop the cairn-hill of Morgaine’s Tomb, pulsing faintly with a light from a long-forgotten time, opened with a sudden burst of energy, and from its depths emerged a rider cloaked in gray and black. The silver-haired figure, mounted on a gray warhorse, surged forward. The rider’s cloak billowed in the rush of the wind, the weight of time pressing down as though it, too, wished to cling to her. Morgaine leaned low over the horse’s neck, her heart still pounding from the chaos behind her. As the last remnants of the Gate's energy dissipated, the sound of battle—shouts, the clash of metal, the screams of the dying—immediately drowned out by a loud prolonged CRACK like lightning striking. A white light beaconed upwards in the night, far into the night sky, bright enough to hide the stars before fading. Meanwhile the reverberating shockwave rumbled through her body to its core. For a moment, she remained tense, grey eyes sharp, scanning the landscape for the enemy she had been fleeing. Her grip tightened on the reins, her other hand resting on the hilt of Changeling, its arcane blade ready to bring finality to whatever followed her.

But there was no battle here. No armies pursuing her. Only silence, broken by the slow, rhythmic breaths of her horse, Siptah, beneath her.

She straightened in the saddle, Siptah’s heavy breaths puffing clouds of mist into the cool air, and her own breath caught as she took in the scene around her. The world looked wrong. Different. Her eyes swept over the horizon, and unease tightened around her chest as if the very air pressed against her ribs. She turned in the saddle, seeking some familiar landmark—a ridge, a grove of twisted old trees, a watchtower—but found nothing that fit her memory.

The ground beneath Siptah’s hooves was not the familiar, broken battlefield she had fled—nor the Vale of Irien, where the cursed Gate had stood for so long. The terrain here was foreign, altered. Hills rolled gently away from the cairn hill and towards a small farming village to the West. And further still, beyond the village, the landscape appeared to flatten into a desert that also cradled a turquoise lake. Maybe it was a trick of the light and her eyes. She couldn’t be sure. In the distance of the North, rose mountains that should not exist.

Her brow furrowed as she stared at the peaks, their sharp, snow-capped spires piercing the sky where once there had only been flat plain. Had it truly been only moments? For her, the Gate at Ivrel had been but a blink—an escape from disaster—but the landscape told another story.

"No..." Morgaine murmured under her breath, the cold realization creeping into her mind. Centuries must have passed. Time had once again betrayed her. Her gaze moved across the altered landscape, taking in the disorienting contrasts—patches of familiar terrain stitched together with places she had never seen. The ground itself seemed a patchwork of realities, a quilt sewn with rough and fraying threads.

To the East, a familiar line of low hills cut sharply into the horizon, but now those same hills ran into a forest that seemed ancient, thick with towering trees whose roots grasped at the remnants of half-buried stone. Her sharp eyes caught the distinct carvings of Qhal runes among the roots, but these were overgrown, worn by centuries of rain and wind—a stark contrast to the crisp inscriptions she remembered.

Had the world itself shifted beneath her while she passed through the Gate? Was this truly the same place she had left behind, or had the scars of the Qhal’s sorcery reshaped reality itself?

"Siptah," she whispered, stroking the horse’s neck to calm him, "we have crossed more than space this time, haven’t we?"

Siptah snorted in response, stamping a hoof impatiently, his ears flicking back as if sensing the same strangeness in the air. The bond between horse and rider, forged through years of battles and journeys through time, remained strong—even if the world they now found themselves in was fractured, unrecognizable.

Morgaine pulled her cloak tighter against the cool breeze. The air tasted of rain and pine, and there was an unnatural stillness to the silence around her, as if the land held its breath, waiting. Her sharp gaze moved beyond the immediate terrain, beyond the distant mountains and the odd shifts in the landscape, and she noted that the moon hung lower in the sky than it should have. Not in the season she expected, not at the angle she remembered. The very light was different—paler, casting longer shadows.

The broken gate she had exited was properly dormant now, having expended everything left to let her finally pass through the layers of space and time. The stones that marked its boundaries were worn and cracked - their once-sharp edges softened by time. This place had once known the touch of Qhal magic, but now it felt... diluted. Hollowed out. At the base of the ancient stones, she saw them: dried offerings, placed with care but left to wither in the elements. Small bundles of herbs tied with rough twine, faded ribbons, crumbling beads, and tiny woven figures of straw. Some were laid on flat stones, others left hanging from the twisted branches of nearby trees, swaying slightly in the wind.

Morgaine narrowed her eyes as she studied the offerings, feeling an old, familiar chill creep down her spine. This was a place of reverence, or perhaps fear... She had seen such acts of caution before in other worlds—villagers leaving gifts to appease whatever lingering powers they believed dwelled within ‘places of power’. Yet, the patterns were unfamiliar, and the offerings themselves spoke of rituals that were not her own.

Whoever had placed these things had known enough to tread carefully. They feared something—perhaps the gate itself, or me... Her thoughts finished for her.

She dismounted slowly, her feet sinking into the soft earth as she crouched to pick up one of the faded ribbons, the fabric fraying at the edges. The color had almost completely leached away, but once, it had been a bright crimson—a color of blood, of life, or of warning. She let the ribbon fall back among the rest of the offerings.

A shadow of movement caught her attention. She stood, turning sharply, her hand instinctively reaching to her hip, where her pistol was. A figure, no more than a distant silhouette, stood at the edge of the foothills. They were barely visible among the shifting shadows as clouds passed over the moon, but Morgaine’s sharp gaze picked out the wide eyes staring at her.

Morgaine met the figure’s gaze for only an instant before they turned and ran, back towards the village. The cry “Qujal!” carried on the wind. Her brow furrowed in concern, so the Qhal were still known here regardless of time and the changes in landscape. She watched the retreating figure disappear through fields as they neared the village, no doubt to spread word of her arrival. The whispers would already be starting, traveling faster than any horse could carry her.

Morgaine sighed and urged Siptah forward at a slower pace, heading northwest just north of the village. She needed to find shelter, to gather her bearings. This world might have changed, but her mission had not.

"Come, old friend," she whispered, patting the side of Siptah’s neck. "We need to understand where we are... and when we are."

Character: Kee
Accompanying track: [x]
Mentioning: N/A

“Can I go, Beya?” Kee whined. “You asked for passage through the woods; I took you through the woods. Nothing in our deal mentioned me trailing after you to the village.”

For all his complaining, Beya neither groaned, nor sighed, nor broke a sweat, as she pushed a cart loaded to the brim with fresh produce over the hills. This was much more produce than Kee had ever seen her carry in her life, and he was pretty sure he didn’t weigh much more, as he sat on the side of the cart with the fewest vegetables. She just giggled at him, before saying, “And how am I supposed to get back there after I sell all of this stuff? Am I supposed to just feel my way blindly back to Tal’korun?”

“It’s just a straight line! It’s not that hard to remember,” Kee complained. For all the praise he received as a master navigator of the Tarnaal woodlands, he wasn’t quite sure why this title was a distinguishing feature. Every part of the woods had a distinct personality, which Kee thought was impossible to miss. But, clearly, he was the only one to notice, which hardly mattered, when it came to all the gifts the good-willed travelers would offer him in exchange for what was to him a brisk tour.

“If you come to the village with me,” Beya responded, rolling the cart over a particularly tough bump, “I’ll get you some wax for your lute, and I promise to give you more suet cakes than I usually do.”

“Both of which I can get on my own, mind you,” Kee noted. One thing he definitely didn’t need was assistance to get what he would call the basics.

“In Tal’korun? I thought you were exiled from there,” she teased, and Kee jerked his head to glare at her.

“From the village,” Kee clarified. “I’ll just go there, get some wax, and then you can give me more suet cakes to congratulate me on my good behavior.” Beya huffed at this, and Kee wasn’t sure why. Despite what people seemed to think, his track record was sparkly clean; it wasn’t his problem that people were quicker to call Kee a thief than wait for Kee to give them their items back.

“Well, you certainly make an interesting offer,” Beya said, but something about the way she said it made Kee think that she wasn’t being entirely amiable. “And since I’m also headed to the same village you are, why not make the trip together? You can keep me company as I sell my products, and who knows, maybe we can return together.” Kee resisted exclaiming an incensed ‘I knew it!’ - he always found her so difficult to reason with.

He groaned as he turned around. This was going to be a futile battle, and if Kee was going to have to deal with so many people later, he figured he should conserve his energy for it. “Fine,” he muttered, turning around, falling back onto some gourds.

A blinding flash of light turned the world white for a few seconds, causing Kee to scrunch his eyes closed. Only a few seconds later, it totally dispersed, leaving no signs of having ever appeared in the first place. Kee looked to the horizon.

“What was tha-”
A deafening crash shattered the atmosphere, and the shockwave that came with it sent Kee stumbling back on his side, as he struggled to shield himself from the impact, too busy curling in on himself and covering his ears. Once the ringing from his ears subsided, he managed to stand back up, looking at the horizon again, although more warily this time. “What the hell was that?!” he asked, now more alert than before.

Beya, who had used the cart’s lip as a shield, warily stood up, carefully examining the horizon alongside him. Her gaze was focused, and her smile was gone, a thing that made Kee uneasy. He raked his memory, trying to remember a time when Beya wasn’t smiling, and what had caused it; it wasn’t any more comforting to find nothing there. She replied a non-committal “I don’t know,” before bending down to pick up a few of the vegetables that were blasted off the cart.

“Well, what, are we just gonna ignore it?” Kee asked, slightly bewildered. Beya placed the vegetables back onto the cart, and slapped a few of the less secure ones for good measure, to check if they moved at all, and repositioned them accordingly.

“I have a cart full of stuff, Kee, I can’t really do much about it,” she explained. “I’d love to see if there was anything dangerous happening, but…” she stared at her produce, tapping at the cart impatiently, as she tried to think.

Kee teased his lip with his teeth. It was certainly going to be a way to avoid interacting with people…

He picked up his lute and wore it over his neck and under his arm, before hoisting himself up and jumping off the cart. “How many suet cakes?” he asked. Beya seemed confused at first, before she caught on to what he was putting down. She looked him up and down, before her eyes lingered on his amplifier, and she smiled.

“More than you can eat,” she said.

“So a lot?” he asked. Beya nodded.

“A lot.”

Kee sighed as he turned around and tried to recall where the beam and sound came from, but eventually, after he shook some hair away from his face and the bell on his neck jingled reassuringly, he began making his way to the source of the beam and the sound - hopefully, anyway.

Character: Kashim
Location: East of Reomel; in pursuit of/tracking unknown rider
Acoustics: Link
Mentions: N/A

A faded ribbon, the fabric fraying at its edges, being carried along on the cold autumnal zephyr nearly passed by Kashim before he caught it betwixt thumb and index finger. Perhaps it was the weathered crimson hue of the ribbon that drew his attention, or perhaps it was something more, something that was beyond his own understandings of this world. Intently, he stared at this ribbon, then he raised it to his nose to apply his sense of smell. As was to be expected, the scent of earthiness, a freshness, and hints of resin --a scent of flora he had recently been acquainted with. The aroma had an unmistakable crispness that evoked feelings of being surrounded by nature's tranquility for he was surrounded by nature, but that was not all, there was a hint of another scent, familiar yet unfamiliar. He glanced down at the ancient technological gadget in his other hand that let him know he was still on the right track. This device, unfortunately, did not seem to convey the distance to the destination, only a general direction. This ribbon and the bright flash of light the night before were both signs to Kashim that his long journey across these strange, unfamiliar and uncharted lands would soon bare fruit. He pocketed the ribbon into a zippered pocket of his hooded cloak.

Watchful of the surroundings, Kashim continued at a brisk pace, travelling between the hills rather than scaling them so as to keep out of sight except when he found a cairn atop a hill. This cairn, he was sure, was the epicentre of the luminescent phenomenon he had witnessed last night. A quick reconnoitre of the area surrounding this ancient stone architecture brought to his attention the tracks of a four-legged beast of which he was not familiar. The U shaped depressions of this beast's hooves left firm impressions in the soft earth of these hills. Upon closer examination, next to the U shaped tracks, another pair of tracks appeared. These new tracks were most certainly of familiarity. "A woman..." Kashim whispered under his breath. Evidently a large woman, riding a beast of burden. The most peculiar aspect of these particular tracks that he had noted was that they had emerged from the base of the cairn --there were no set of tracks leading to the cairn, only a set of tracks leading away from this structure. To Kashim, this was just another sign. Once again, he set off at a brisk pace, following tracks in lieu of tracking with a makeshift device of a bygone age.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back