Favourite RP Settings

It would be extreamly cool to have a Foundation universe mixed with the Mass Effect universe. And maybe throw in a little Shadowrun while your at it.

That would be cool. The universe of a Table-Top Rp mixed with the universe of a book mixed with the universe of a Video game. Why not?

Well since I am currently *this* close to running Nivirres which is an SF with a few Mass Effect elements, my next RPG will almost definitely be a fantasy one.

Anything that is realistic as in real life, or close to real life.

I generally prefer fantasy, heavy tension between certain races. Cities and villages rich with culture and animosity, period setting similar to that of King Arthurs time. Where elves believe themselves to be superior, dragons are spoken of in fearful whispers and humans either beseech their knight/template for aid or pick up a sword in an attempt to fix their cities problems. Where titles keep those in bigger cities in their place and in the smaller cities the heavy taxations do.

The only style I haven't really enjoyed is rps in which the character is pre-created and you pick out of the options allowed without the chance to really develop the character you want. Setting and style aren't that big of a problem as long as I enjoy the character I can generally manage and still have fun.

Numel, have you seen the Song of Ice and Fire RPG? Other than being low magic, it is very good at exactly what you describe

[QUOTE="Lord of Chaos]Numel, have you seen the Song of Ice and Fire RPG? Other than being low magic, it is very good at exactly what you describe

[/QUOTE]
Wow, I didn't know that existed. I'll have to check it out. Thanks milord.

[QUOTE="Lord of Chaos]Numel, have you seen the Song of Ice and Fire RPG? Other than being low magic, it is very good at exactly what you describe

[/QUOTE]
I was unaware of its existence until now, thank you for the info I'll be sure to check it out! :)

RP settings for me are like making cookies. You start out with a basis in reality, which is the flour, and sometimes flax seed if you want to be healthy. All the laws of society and such. There needs to be something that the players can relate too, which is the eggs that hold it all together, the daily struggles that we all share and experience. Then you get to add the chocolate chippies, which is the slight tinge of magic, high technology, or alternate reality, that makes the cookies really good. You can't just have high fantasy or sci-fi, because that's just eating chocolate, and you get sick of that after a while. And you don't want just cookies, because that's boring, so you need to have something interesting. But, if you go overboard with it, then your cookies are like chocolate monstrosities instead of cookies. If you're a master level chef then I guess you can start messing around with stuff like barley and rye. Also yes the recipe for cookies is just flour, eggs, and chocolate.

I'm a big fan of epic heroism. It's the main reason why I'm into Exalted. Any game where the protagonists don't need a reward, but they do it just because they can is a decent game. High roleplaying and good character interactions work well with me as well. As for genre, I'm pretty much open to anything, although modern has to really impress me, and sci fi, I prefer soft scifi/space opera over hard sci fi, although, good hard sci fi can be good.

I prefer a steampunk mid-magic world where darkness and those who wield it walk side by side with the average person.

A world where many people are educated in the workings of basic magic, a cantrip or two, but the gathering of magical energies is still a rare and uncommon thing.

Magical creatures populate the wild reaches ond sanctified lands of the world, but the average townsfolk has seen nothing more of them than a storybook, a research tome, or possibly an odd glimpse as they dart from one alcove to the next.

Machines, mecha, or golems are a common sight in most decently populated cities, but it isn't as if everyone claims ownership of a high speed vehicle and a technological or magical communicator.

Magic is.

Technology is.

They are common, but not pervasive.

The world is awesome, but most people leave it well enough alone.

Stories are told by the few who may have witnessed it's glory, but are usually believe by less than half of the onlookers and the bard is suspect for dealing with things beyond the average mortal's comprehension.

Ker'ion, have you tried Deadlands or Iron Kingdoms? The former is a magic wild west steampunk setting, while the latter is the RPG for Warmachine (magic steampunk wargame), and features a lot of magic-as-science and clockwork automatons/power armor. There's also Warhammer Fantasy RP (not steampunk, but it's low magic and the Empire features early-steampunk technology), Swashbucklers of the Seven Skies (airship pirates with magic and Adventure), and Savage Worlds (freeform ruleset, but it does high adventure really well)

My personal favorite is Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, First Edition. Yes, the mechanics were a little clunky and it ended up with a huge number of canon expansions before it was DESTROYED with a second edition that completely changed every aspect of the game. But it was the first roleplay game I ever played and I enjoyed the gritty, grim-dark setting, the constant degrading effects of the Forces of Chaos, the corrupt nobles, the filthy commoners, the (highy justified) fear of anything remotely magical, and the fact that even the best and noble efforts of the PCs were often only a drop in the ocean.

Captain Hesperus

I'll look into Iron Kingdoms.

I didn't like the cards-&-dice setting of Deadlands.

Swashbucklers of the Seven Skies seems interesting. I may look into that as well.

Thanks.

[QUOTE="Thorn Darkblade]I've always been interested in Deadlands...is the system solid?

[/QUOTE]
To be perfectly honest, I've never played it myself. I've read the rules (well, one of them. the setting has been ported to multiple systems). I read the savage worlds version, which seems pretty solid

I like the clash of different genres, it allows for unusual stories to be told and with different textures. My favorites are Sci-fi and fantasy.

Fan of modern fantasy here... which is, at this point, a rather sweeping declaration now. To draw from examples, though, my favorites are Mage: the Ascension and Nobilis. Perhaps it's the idea that reality is malleable that attracts me?

I have a soft spot for AD&D first edition (warts and all) simply because my first serious campaign was in that system. Overall, however, the published system I prefer to use is...hmmm....probably the White Wolf nWOD system or the Exalted system (same basic mechanics).

I like an awful lot of games for many different reasons. nWoD, Exalted, 40k, Eclipse Phase, Paranoia, Nobilis...

But the things I wanted most were never in the same game, so I wrote the game I wanted to play.

Low-fantasy, with internally consistent metaphysics which inform system and actual in-game physics. Magic obeys quantifiable laws, but it's still magic. Monsters are biologically viable, sometimes with a little help from magic. The realities of medieval life are everywhere, from rampant misogyny to sickness to slavery.

And of course, there is no absolute good or evil. Only shades of gray, and no one can prove that gods exist in spite of all the churches and claims of miracles.

And I like being able to play non-human characters with strange and terrifying powers. Is that so wrong?

Have you tried Ars Magica? It's got a magic-as-science approach, medieval life laid bare, monsters that follow the rules (although there are ways for them to break said rules, but even those ways make sense), Faith is a powerful force but there is little definite proof that God exists (Faith could just be another power source, like magic). You always play humans, but you can choose certain bloodlines that give you strange and terrifying powers

I've got some passing familiarity with Ars Magica and I've intended to take a closer look. Thank you for the tip!

I've been a fan of Exalted, WoD (both iterations), Traveller, and Paranoia (though sadly I've never played) for many, many years. I still have to say that my absolute favorite, however, is a plain WoD mortals game (or Hunter, because new Hunter is sexytimes). I've NEVER gotten to run one, but there's so much potential there for my demented mind, and so many ways to mod it. XCOM ahoy!

[QUOTE="Cthulhu_Wakes]I've been a fan of Exalted, WoD (both iterations), Traveller, and Paranoia (though sadly I've never played) for many, many years. I still have to say that my absolute favorite, however, is a plain WoD mortals game (or Hunter, because new Hunter is sexytimes). I've NEVER gotten to run one, but there's so much potential there for my demented mind, and so many ways to mod it. XCOM ahoy!

[/QUOTE]
I swear I'll run that game properly sometime soon. Using Vigil for X-Com is just.. it's right there! In the book!

And I never got to run my Silent Hill flavoured mortals game. I am sad.

I've got a mortals game abrewin' currently. Not scribbled for it lately. The way it's going, it's got a little atmosphere from Alan Wake, some for Silent Hill, and hopefully my own horrid obsession with King in Yellow. But not as much as usual, which is a good thing.

Heh. It is right there isn't it? I've been pondering how best to model Chrysalids in nWoD for a while. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back