Favourite RP Settings

Pineapple

The Rotten Fruit
What is everyones favourite RP settings?

I'm personally a fan of settings with low magic (Very few if any people can 'cast spells' or the like) but with lots of fantastical elements (such as monsters and artifacts). I like settings with a rich history behind the areas and people. I dont like feeling like the RP world was created the second I walked into it. Plent of things must have happened before I got there, and people had lives before I met them.

I hate any setting in which every hero is vastly overwhelming to whoever they encounter. I hate a setting with So much magic and monsters that walking into a dragon den is an everyday occurance, where People teleport for transportation. I hate a setting in which no one has a personality and is simply there to point you in the next direction.

So what would you say makes your favourite / hated settings?

I like magic and budding technology. Anywhere from the early renaissance to victorian era is fantastic, ideally with steampunk and magitech all around. I like being a Good Person in a world where that's not an easy thing to find or define. I don't really care about the PC's power level with regard to the world.

I like seeing logical consequences of the setting elements. High magic is fine, great even, but it should be a PART of the setting, not something tacked on to make it "more fantasy". Quite unlike pineapple, I LIKE to see trade lanes using teleportation circles or farmers learning a cantrip or two to make the job easier. Basically if I can look over the setting and immediately find obvious things that people in it SHOULD be doing but they aren't, I tend to dislike said setting. But if I find a setting where the effects of the various fantastical elements are thoroughly fleshed out, where it seems like a real world rather than a middle school project, then I have found a world to stay in.

I'm a huge fan of any type of bleak interpretation of the world, where morals and values are completely thrown out, basically entire environment should be an anti-thesis to the main characters. Creativity comes from lack of freedom and its always a pleasure to see a person or a group of people being able to overcome their environments and growing as an individual. Its also a really good point to have an antagonist that embodies something that everyone hates to such a level that everyone has no choice but to side against him. For example in Deadman Wonderland a boy was taken into custody of a jail because he was accused of mass murdering his classmates from a photo, but the viewer finds out that the headmaster of the jail (Deadman Wonderland) had created the entire photo just to get at the kid. Now the kid is on death sentence for something he did not do.

Sure magic and fantasy are great for a story, but I really love the pure willpower to overcome things that every person has.

I like RP settings where laughs can be had. Comedy keeps people around because it deals with gags, puns, and strange consequences that can be played immediately, where as it takes awhile for dramatic incidents to "wave". The build up for drama usually takes too long and that makes RPers leave or get impatient and this is the same problem that a lot of books, movies, dramas, and sitcoms face. Although we want to jump to the climax because "this is taking too long", this is no fun because there's no context put in to understand why the climax is important. However, not a lot of people know how to be funny, especially in writing. Being funny onstage and/or in person and being funny in writing are very similar, but have different ways of being executed. One also has to consider how to portray funny, because fifty percent of the funny comes from how the narrator is narrating a scene that should be funny. Everyone can make a joke, but to keep one joke running between a lot of characters is very difficult and it's very easy to tell if done poorly.

RP settings need to reflect real life in how the characters feel. Life come through the smiles, the tears, the anger, and the laughter that comes afterwards. Characters need to change and no more Freudian excuses for the villains. I focus on the characters of the story. The setting doesn't matter if the people we are following are not characters we can love and care about. Even if it's done in a twisted way, it needs to be done. If no one cares about the story, no one reads it.

Hmm, so I have a question.

How do people here feel about romances in a RP setting?

I'm testing the waters; seeing what I can get away with.

I don’t really have any problems with it. It’s realistic. People have romances all the time.

However, I like to do the flirt thing; I don’t tend to care much for the sex side of it. I like the sexual tension :P

I don't mind RPs with romance, but not an RP surrounding Romance. Similar to Books, I am not entirely a fan of Romance Novels, but I think its nice to have Romance as a large conflict between characters. Mainly as long as there is other things to the Plot. I am usually up for it.

But even then, I still don't know. I have never done solely Romance.

Paranoia.

Any RP that encourages back-stabbing, blowing things up and random, comedic deaths is worth worshipping :)

Romance is easy to create but hard to get people to believe in. You could create the perfect woman with words but if the man that she is going to be with isnt someone that the people can relate with it becomes really hard to hold interest

ElderKingpin said:
Romance is easy to create but hard to get people to believe in. You could create the perfect woman with words but if the man that she is going to be with isnt someone that the people can relate with it becomes really hard to hold interest
The same could be applied vice versa.

ElderKingpin said:
Who needs a perfect guy or perfect girl? Having either is kind of boring. When I said romance, I didn't mean anything like that.

I'll admit, my favorite roleplays are the kind that's best kept behind locked doors...

No, not THAT kind! I meant insanity, dual personality, trauma, doubting reality... psychological stuff, y'know?

Although, I also enjoy to take something that'd be Romantic, and add in Realist elements, discussing social problems via the characters, breaking or killing the cutie...

Oh, you mean setting... my bad. Uh, I'm kinda all around.

Haha. Roleplays about crazy stuff like that deserve their own story; I haven't found a good way to incorporate such things as an RP. Although, I like that kind of stuff, too.

[QUOTE="Lord of Chaos]
I like seeing logical consequences of the setting elements. High magic is fine, great even, but it should be a PART of the setting[...] I LIKE to see trade lanes using teleportation circles or farmers learning a cantrip or two to make the job easier. Basically if I can look over the setting and immediately find obvious things that people in it SHOULD be doing but they aren't, I tend to dislike said setting. But if I find a setting where the effects of the various fantastical elements are thoroughly fleshed out, where it seems like a real world rather than a middle school project, then I have found a world to stay in.

[/QUOTE]
I'm about in the same boat, but I like a more gritty setting, where magic is a bit rarer. I hate ten-foot-pole shenanigans and when players turn the game into a big joke. I probably enjoy games that simulate living in a fantasy world more than most people. (I actually keep track of spell components.) I have often wondered in D&D why a bunch of level 1 spellcasters don't go around selling their services, or better yet, why there isn't institutionalized magic in most cities. I love finished settings. History of a place isn't nearly as important to me as how the NPCs live, think, and, act. I care how the common people get along and am sucked into a world with a great aesthetic. It's one of the reasons I enjoy Oblivion and similar games so much.

Practically all kinds of settings are appealing to me. I enjoy the process of adjustment to a different theme, and a single random shard of thought can be enough to spark my imagination. I suppose if I had to draw out some specific settings that I like more than others...

Raw elemental creation. Light and darkness opposed. War, destruction. History. Grand, amazing, unbelievable scenery. World-shaking events. A story driven by several main quests. Magic. A fantasy realism. Entertainment. Plots that entwine players together. Unlimited possibilities. Order and chaos.

Perfectionism.

Hardcore Sci-Fi Technology, something to do with some rampant computers, and a bit of mythology for flavor all in SPACE!!!!!

Other then that put me in the helm of any nation and give me a goal to dominate the world ill be happy.

[QUOTE="Renarion Arenimon]@Freeman
So an Isaac Asimov style RPG would be to your liking? Nine Tomorrows? Multivac?

[/QUOTE]
Ya you can say that, a bit of Asimov for setting, Niven for a bit of culture, (since the fact Ringworld, Man-Kzin Wars, and Footfall were my first introduction in to Sci-Fi) and a bit of Adams for a bit wit and comedy, just because you need a towel.

If I can somehow mach all of that in to one single rp, I would die on my computer chair :P

[QUOTE="The World Is Flat]I could live with just a Foundation RP personally.

[/QUOTE]
Care to elaborate on that, TWIF?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_series[/URL]

Its one of Asimov's books, I think its what put him on the map as a Sci-Fi writer. But while I would be happy with a Foundation Rp, like Pine has said before be original, so why not instead of one universe add and mix and match several different ones together, to make something completely new and different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back