Exalted Modern Game (Recruitment)

Jaksio said:
Andoriol said:
If I don't flounder with this game, once I get into the rythm of it, I'm gonna give an Infernal/Abyssal only game a go in the same setting, you'd be the first I'd contact for the game, and while I get the hang of Exalted Modern, we can work on your Infernal... but I'd really appreciate it if you pulled out of this one. :|
Heee. So you hope to lead two campaigns at the same time at some point in the future? Lemme guess that events from bout would be connected and at the end we will have some epic showdown between two opposite teams ( Good side of government versus dark side of government)

And another question. Is charm Lock-Opening Touch will work on hacking into database? Technically firewalls and other safety's are nothing more than digital lock's, while keyboard, proper programs or another computer connected to INTERNET is in many ways a tool that you use to open them.
I'm... gonna have to think on that one a bit... it sounds like it'd work considering the metaphysics of Exalted, but I'm not sure I want to just hand people that ability that quick at the moment :|

At worst, it'd just need an expansion charm that permanently enhances Lock-Opening Touch to include digital stuff like that, but I'll think on it. I might or might not let it just open them, but I'll definitely tell you before we start playing.

Teln said:
Would it be permissible for me to start at Essence 3 instead of
Essence 2?
Yes, definitely :D

Just no Ess. 4+ at start, nothing preventing you from getting there eventually (as long as you don't die), it just hasn't been long enough for anyone to figure out how to get to Essence 4 while everyone's still figuring out how they do anything with motes.

Also, Teln, you'll want to join the Through the Looking Glass group so you can post there (And does anyone have an idea how I can change the name of that? Or do I have to ask Flagg to do so?)

Announcement:

I'll try to have a set of the new Solar "Gun" Charms posted up by Thursday this week as well as the modifications to some of the Ride/Sail charms for the Modern Age. I'll see if I can get up a vague list of the things the 'In Universe' White Wolf company would've gotten wrong about Exalted in their line of books, but it'll probably be vague.

Finally: I'm officially moving the first game back a week. Not because of the guns/charms/new mechanics, but because I had been an idiot and assumed my family wasn't doing anything for my birthday this year, turns out, we are, so I can't really make this Saturday. Not to mention Finals getting shoved down my throat making it difficult to stat up some characters.

That said, there will be a game on the 3rd of July, rain or shine.

Actually, Andoriol, you have to admit them to the group yourself. It's in the moderator control panel, I believe, although you'll probably have to poke around with it a bit.

I had an idea that I'd like a little feedback on, before I commit myself to a build:

Since most people in the modern day wear bulletproof armor instead of swordproof armor, I was thinking about taking shameless advantage of that fact by stocking up on athletics and melee charms, along with some resistance to keep me alive whilst closing the gap. Worth a try?

EDIT: Also, general build advice would be greatly appreciated.

I think that since you'll use Melee then you don't need to focus on two types of defense. It's better to chose one at beginning ( Parry, soak dodge) and stick to it on first sessions. Later you can expand your defense opportunities. But if you really what be resistance favored then i think it's good idea to better look at non soak/armor charms. They also can prove to be useful.

Teln said:
I had an idea that I'd like a little feedback on, before I commit myself to a build:
Since most people in the modern day wear bulletproof armor instead of swordproof armor, I was thinking about taking shameless advantage of that fact by stocking up on athletics and melee charms, along with some resistance to keep me alive whilst closing the gap. Worth a try?

EDIT: Also, general build advice would be greatly appreciated.
Viable, just remember the limits on Artifacts. Guns are still very scary for someone with a sword, I'd recomend grabbing something that lets you ignore Onslaught penalties like Bulwark Stance or such, you'll need it if you go with that concept, and you should try to justify why you/your character chose to use a sword against people with guns.

Honestly though, it'd be totally awesome to see a guy with a sword cut his way through machine-gun fire to decapitate a bad-guy or something. I'm recomending dodge over parrying though, most everyone you face is gonna be using guns.

Edit: ((Have you tried going to the User Control Panel and trying to join Through the Looking Glass? You should be part of the group since that's the sub-forum we're gonna be using.))

Nevermind, I found the freakin' panel finally, you're good :D

Andoriol said:
Viable, just remember the limits on Artifacts. Guns are still very scary for someone with a sword, I'd recomend grabbing something that lets you ignore Onslaught penalties like Bulwark Stance or such, you'll need it if you go with that concept, and you should try to justify why you/your character chose to use a sword against people with guns.

Honestly though, it'd be totally awesome to see a guy with a sword cut his way through machine-gun fire to decapitate a bad-guy or something. I'm recomending dodge over parrying though, most everyone you face is gonna be using guns.

Edit: ((Have you tried going to the User Control Panel and trying to join Through the Looking Glass? You should be part of the group since that's the sub-forum we're gonna be using.))

I backed out but im curious on how you are handling mechincs, why is dodge more useful then parry. Are you giving a penelty to parrying guns or something? If so why really humans cant dodge bullets or parry them. Its more of a question of can the shooter aim well then if you can get out of the way. Thats why when I ran a modern exalted game it ended up with at base everyones dv had a penelty = to there DV when being shot with guns. Made shadow over water and Dipping swallow insanely important for solars.

rattleingpython said:
Andoriol said:

I backed out but im curious on how you are handling mechincs, why is dodge more useful then parry. Are you giving a penelty to parrying guns or something? If so why really humans cant dodge bullets or parry them. Its more of a question of can the shooter aim well then if you can get out of the way. Thats why when I ran a modern exalted game it ended up with at base everyones dv had a penelty = to there DV when being shot with guns. Made shadow over water and Dipping swallow insanely important for solars.
Guns will probably be inherently unblockable without stunt or magic, period And even then, I'm personally seriously leaning towards ruling that without magic of at least an excellency, you can't really parry a flurry of bullets/full-auto without the equivalent of a 3-die stunt.

So by taking example from many shooter games i think we need to expand cover mechanic. Also I'm starting to really reconsidering if i should take dodge charm Flow Like a Blood(ignoring penalties from coordinated attacks and flurries seems rally important in this game combat).

Jaksio said:
So by taking example from many shooter games i think we need to expand cover mechanic. Also I'm starting to really reconsidering if i should take dodge charm Flow Like a Blood(ignoring penalties from coordinated attacks and flurries seems rally important in this game combat).
... thanks for mentioning that, I've got to remember to triple-check those rules and memorize them.

And yeah, you probably want Flow Like Blood :D

Are you certain you want to weaken parry that much. Its already inferiour to dodge DV in almost everyway parrys only point of shining is versatility. In addition how does someone dodge a flurry of bullets? Just a question i feel should be asked.

Teln said:
rattleingpython said:
In addition how does someone dodge a flurry of bullets? Just a question i feel should be asked.
Like this.
Um, that's resistance.

Dodging a spray of bullets is generally called diving for cover.

Dodging a spray of bullets with Seven Shadow Evasion is generally called "Holy shit! Is this the Matrix? That guy's an Agent!"

If you want to stunt it that way, anyway. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back