• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Chivalry: Academy for Future Knights

Lureana nodded, understanding all to well what a day without training felt like. She had often had an injury or two that had kept her on bed rest and she hated the feeling of not being able to be out and about on the training field. Then the bell for supper began to ring.

She gave a small grin as he invited her to practice. "I will join you in archery tomorrow, as long as you will let me assist you to the dinning hall. It is the least I can do," she said as she nodded to his foot. The boy, Aristaeus, was certainly interesting enough. Though she wasn't one to usually have so many conversations with the other students in one day, she felt she was slowly learning the way to not say too much, to reveal too much of herself.

Heinrich was not amused.

He'd been sitting on the gurney with his legs out in front of him and a sheet covering his lower half. He stared straight ahead, drumming his fingers on his thigh in boredom. It was getting to the point that he would need to plan an escape attempt just to amuse himself.

The dining hall started to fill with students and mentors. Naralyn watched the crowd. To think that dragons could walk among humans! She had read about dragons and their human forms, how their eyes appeared glassy and serpentine. She looked at each face, searching for that tell-tale glint.

Other students began to scrutinize Naralyn. The seventeen year old looked foreign with her caramel colored skin and thick black hair. Naralyn had gone to supper without changing out of her leather armor, and she was still dusty and sweaty from practice. Naralyn smiled at passing students, but they ignored her.

"Perhaps if I started going to the Grand Temple, people would talk to me," Naralyn thought as she sat alone. Naralyn avoided the temple and spent every prayer hour in the library reading. When she wasn't studying she was practicing. She hadn't considered socializing until now.

A number of students in the Lionhart tower watched her with suspicion. Naralyn was a commoner of gypsy blood. Many students believed Naralyn did not deserve her place in the Academy. Lady Chardonnay had adopted her and given Naralyn enough money to buy essentials and equipment. Naralyn was even debating on whether or not to buy a horse. She was talented and competitive in the practice yard. Some were jealous of Naralyn's luck and skills while others thought the strange young woman to be a despicable gypsy, a sinful trickster who cares only for gold.

The only friend Naralyn had was a young noble named Angelus. He was small for a boy of fourteen, and he was often chosen for clean-up duty on the training ground. Naralyn volunteered to help him and together they formed a small bond. Angelus was awe-struck by Naralyn when she told him how she defeated a bandit leader in one-on-one combat. However he was a noble and he had his own circle of friends. She spotted him two tables down, sitting among a group of boys his own age, laughing and smiling among his peers.

Naralyn poked at her food with a fork. She had only been at the Academy for a short time. There was no need to rush things. She'd meet people and maybe even dragons as her studies progressed. Naralyn finished her meal and went back for seconds then returned to her lonely seat.

Celeste and Cecile were breathing hard when they heard the bell ring, both of them were out of energy but both were smiling with a cut or two bleeding a bit on their face.

"You said no face hits," Cecile huffed at Celeste as she gave her red headed sister an innocent smile.

"Well that was before you elbowed me in the gut," Celeste shrugged her shoulders as she felt her long curly blonde hair to fall from its bun, the sound of the bell had the girls putting their daggers away and picking their weapons up off the floor.

"Wouldn't have elbowed you if you hadn't stepped on my foot so hard! Do you know the meaning of practice?" Cecile snorted as she walked with her sister to the dining hall, hopefully they wouldn't get lost. Once they made it though they couldn't help but look around. If the food was good, it'd be a good school to stay at.

The Abbas exuded holy power and charisma as she spoke to her lessors. Rowan had always respected the woman, as high priest of Airesh and high master of religion. But the words that echoed in the Grande Temple changed Rowans view of Cassia Orfus. She was just as ignorant and Rowan was earlier today, a simple acolyte.

The Abbas spoke of the writings in the books but she lacked the wisdom to find their true meaning. Rowan shook his head in disappointment. She spoke of truth but spread a great lie, it pained the acolyte to see so many of his brothers and sister nod in agreement.

The Abbas ended her speech with a question. What are we to do? It was a more a taunt than a question, she was trying to stoke the fires of hatred in everyone in the hall. Many of the priests and priestesses called out yelling their answers to the Abbas.

"Drive them out!" cried a hot headed priest of Flamberge.

"No, we should wait for them to force our hand!" Shouted another.

"No, we should simply kill the devils! It is what the Gods command, the Templars will do it" A priest in green shouted as he raised his fist, half turning to look at the group as well.

Even from the back of the temple, Rowan could see a sinister smile curve the Abbas' lips. More and more priests answered her question, each answer was more violent than the next. Rowan's eye darted to each of the screaming priests, unable to believe his eyes. These men were supposed to represent the Gods, but they acted like nothing more than a petty street mob. Rowan could feel the eyes of Eesna, cast a judging gaze upon the entire temple.

Master Gaol stood as silent and still as stone, alone among the masters of Eesna. Many of them were hollering with the other priests. Rowan could only make out his master out because he did not move. Rowan watched in amazement as Gaol raised his hand slowly, and started to walk up the to altar.

Gaol knew it was time, he must act before this went too far. Eesna demanded it, justice demanded it. The master did not have anything prepared, he planned on doing what few priests did in this temple, he will speak from his heart.

"Brothers and sisters!" Gaol called out in a loud and commanding voice. "Listen to me!" Every soul in the temple fell silent, no one ever walked up to the altar while the Abbas was speaking. The master of Eesna turned around to face the sea of priests, he stood beside the Abbas. Cassia Orfus gave Gaol the stare of death.

"I have come to know many of you during my 30 years serving beside you in this temple" Gaol's tone was fatherly now, his eyes passed over every priest "Some of you more than others. Those of you who know me well, know that I have devoted every fibre of my being to the Gods." Many of the priests of Eesna nodded, including Rowan. "I cannot stand idly by as the words of the Gods are twisted and tainted by ancient hatreds." The Abbas' jaw dropped at Gaol's accusation, Rowan watched as many of the priests started to shift from respect to loathing, they were not willing to have their belief ridiculed by one of their own. Rowan watched his master with pride, for he knew he spoke the words of Eesna.

Gaol was forced to take a breath, many of his friends glared at him with disdain. It hurt the old man to see his brothers and sisters turn on so quickly, but he knew it would happen. The masters eyes shifted from face to face, his mouth opened but words failed to reach his throat. Gaol stood gaping at the sea of holy wolves until he saw Rowan, the boy's head held high and proud. Finally the words escaped his frozen voice.

"Right after we defeated the dragons, the three knightly orders fought for 300 years" Gaol started to pace along the raised platform, passing in front of the Abbas and her altar. "We all know the histories, those houses fought each other longer than they fought the dragons, each house called the other evil, corrupt, even devils. A war was fought for 300 years because of power, fear and vengence! thousands human lives were lost, fathers buried sons, children lost their mothers, whole cities burned, until we learned our lesson and let go of our hate." Gaol paused and watched as some of the priests started to nod in agreement, others began to steep in hatred. "After the three houses united together, we had 300 years of peace, a golden age for Gallace. We forgot our hatred and today students from every order train here together." Rowan watched as his master reached the edge of the platform and turned around, before continuing.

"The Abbas is correct, at this very moment the Gods are testing the faithful. Once again the divines are trying to teach us a lesson that man has refused to learn since they pulled us out of the forests and gave us the ability to think, FORGIVENESS. Even Airesh taught Eesna this lesson while the air convinced the ice to spare man for his ignorance." Gaol looked over the Abbas briefly, she watched the Shaman closely, her eyes were knifing him with dark with malice. "I am a follower of Eesna, sworn to protect justice; and brothers vengeance against the dragons who saved our kingdom is not justice"

Gaol pointed a finger at the Abbas "Her words cast a cloud of delusion, that will cause us to start a war that will devour more lives and ruin everything we have worked so hard to build in the last 800 years. We must choose wisely brothers, for the Gods are watching man once more, I can feel it."

"So now I ask you the same question" Gaol stopped beside the Abbas, in the same place he started. "What are we to do? We, who are about to be judged?"

Rowan watched the whole speech in awe. His master stood strong and patient, blind to the roaring priests who started to wave their fists at him. For a moment Gaol looked like Eesna himself. A few priests, each students of a different God and robed in a different colour, sat down and pondered the ice priest's insights. Gaol walked off the platform and returned to his position among the masters of Eesna. Brun gave Gaol a pat on the back and a warm smile.

The others shouted cruel words to Gaol Blasphemer, Dragon lover, Traitor, Devil worshiper, Destroyer of the faith. Gaol paid no attention to these fowl names.

Rowan looked back at the Abbas, once again the woman wore a crooked smirk, but this time her eyes were full of cold hatred. Rowan didn't notice until now, the storm outside had gotten stronger.

Aristaeus nodded and stood on one foot, putting an arm out for her to hold. He would have had no issue getting to the dining hall on his own, but he didn't mind allowing her to help him. He smiled as she walked beside him, holding his arm to "help" him to the hall, despite him making full contact with the ground on his injured foot. He couldn't really feel it now the the arrow was gone. He thought for a while, and then deigned to ask a question.

"What are your thoughts on the dragons?"

Lureana felt her shoulders tense at his abrupt question. Once already she had caused an altercation with someone with the thoughts of the dragons. If she was wise, she would avoid the topic all together until she understood Aristaeus's stance. Taking a moment, she opened the door to the dining hall before she finally settled on an answer that wouldn't get her into too much trouble.

"I find actions to be the thing that speaks most of character. The dragons have done nothing that would alert me to them as much of a," she paused, "danger. They show the same traits as I have seen in other students here. The red-haired one is a hot head during battle like a Teutonic, and the blue haired one possesses the pompous attitude that I have seen in the nobles. They are not unlike us."

She watched the boy's face as she spoke. If he started to show signs of being in the opposite of her, she would have to find a way to switch the conversation.

Jakob waited patiently outside of the temple doors, hands behind his back and horned helmet still on from his brief bout at the training field. He tried to keep in practice as best he could considering his busy schedule, but prayer could not be forsaken for even the most pressing of concerns.

He stood facing away from the temple entrance to let his mind wander while the priests finished whatever it was they were doing. He decided to ask one when they were through, but knew he would likely get stonewalled. Priests did that to those they saw as unfit. Which in this case meant anyone not of the cloth.

Aristaeus sighed, all of the tension released from his face. He had been right about her. She was calculating, and knew how to answer a question diplomatically, but it was clear where she stood. She stood with him The dragons wanted nothing but peace, and the house of Templar had become corrupt, to weak to think for itself, instead relying on books written thousands of years ago as their guide. It was a time different from the time they were in now. Things were different.

"I think the dragons simply want to make ammends for their ancestral crimes. I honestly have no issue with them, and disagree with the Books about them being soulless, evil creatures. I would rather spend time with them than in that stuffy temple listening to a priest. Don't get me wrong, I believe in the gods. But I see them as so much more than they do, I see them as part of every living thing, no matter how insignificant or powerful. I see them less as how the Books portray them, or more, I guess, as guides and mentors, not unlike our teachers here, simply divine instead."

Lureana released the tension in her shoulder as she listened to Aristaeus. He had his opinions of what the dragons truly wanted. She had yet to see for herself what the dragons wanted and instead figured that their real needs and reasons were different from what the boy had said.

"I don't doubt that they have their own set of reasons. I cannot say that I am one to put words to those reasons as of yet. They come under peace and peace is what they have shown. Regardless of their intent, I can say that it is enough," she said as she looked to the boy. She liked to only judge things as they had shown themselves to her. "I'm sure they would be wise advisers on matters, as they have a lifespan much longer than ours."

"Ugh, that third piece of pie was a bad idea," moaned Naralyn. She sat slumped, her hands clutching her stomach. Teachers lectured about self restraint being crucial to a knight's daily life. A lecture Naralyn ignored when she saw dessert.

Naralyn rested her head on the table and continued to watch the comings and goings of the dining hall. Suddenly she let out a rather loud, unladylike belch. She smiled, sat up, and patted her stomach. "Much, much better," she thought. Her behavior awarded her awkward stares. Naralyn shrugged and began picking at her teeth.

"Should I spend this evening playing darts or in the library?" she mused. Naralyn's weapon of choice was a two-handed broad sword, but she often practiced with throwing daggers. To improve her aim she had bought a dart board and set it up in her room. She had tried inviting other students to play against her, but everyone she asked came up with an excuse and refused.

Some nights Naralyn missed Lady Chardonnay's manor. The household staff were practically family and Naralyn never lacked for company when she lived there. Early mornings full of the hustle and bustle of housework and laundry, lazy afternoons spent baking cakes and pies, and late nights in the maids' quarters giggling over handsome stable boys. As much as Naralyn had loved her time there, that simple lifestyle was not meant for her.

Naralyn's life changed the day she picked up a sword. She was not yet aware, but her blood yearned for battle. She felt truly alive when she was fighting. A sword in her hands gave her power. Now she sought a reason to wield that power. A reason Naralyn hoped to find in the Academy.

"Perhaps once I'm established I can use my money to set up an orphanage." Naralyn was fond of children. Born to an abusive mother, her childhood had been difficult, living off the streets and stealing to get by. When she was a child no one had protected her from the harsh, violent world. Naralyn wanted to give destitute children a chance at a better life, as Lady Chardonnay had given her.

Naralyn wiped her hands off on a napkin. Her brown eyes were distant as she kept pondering her goals. She would have to prove her strength and determination to the Academy if she wanted to achieve anything.

Abbas

As Gaol stepped down, the Abbas regarded the murmuring room with a tranquil smile until silence dawned.

“It seems uncouthness walks alongside heresy.” She said with a frigid smile, watching as Gaol took his seat. “I foresee a gathering in the near future where he shall be questioned and found wanting.”

Indeed, the church held disputes by the gathering of the three elders, where publically the accused, either of Heresy or Apostacy, would stand public trial before the gallows. And were he found wanting, Trial by Fire, Trial by Ice, or Trial by Air would, in differing degrees of brutality, be his demise.

This form of discipline was seen by many as just and merciful all at once; for no matter the man’s crimes or evidence against him, it was widely believed that if the accused were a man of true righteousness, none of these elements, so ruled by the gods, would do him harm.

The Abbas’ eyes promised Gaol a swift trial, and swift punishment, and she turned her eyes away to survey the crowd once more.

“My friends, you were correct in your words when you demanded the blood of the dragons. The books say it clearly that that is the good and righteous response to iniquity, and what is more evil than a devil? Hold this motive in your hearts as we enter the presence of these devils today. And remember it as they speak.

“Remain undeceived, and turn aside deceivers like the heretic Gaol. This I advise you with all sternness.”

Let us pray.”

The Abbas then lowered her head in prayer, a string of beautiful, poetic words flying out like the golden dawn of sunlight. As the words rose in cadence and rhythm, a swirling wind began to blow unnaturally from the Abbas and through the expanse of the Grand Temple, pushing against the bowed priests and acolytes. It felt like the embrace of Airesh, and a murmur of pleasure rang out in happy reply.

When it had finished, the Abbas gave a moment for the priests to catch their breath, smiling gladly down upon them.

“Go in peace.” She said breathily, and stepped down from the pulpit.

Torath

Crouching at the burden, two servants pressed open the dining hall doors, making room for the awaiting students to enter therein. Food adorned the tables, and cloths for each of the orders colored every seat; green and grey for the Templars; gold and white for the Lionharts; and black and red for the Teutons.

Seated a step higher than the rest was a table adorned in the royal blue that represented all of Gallace; the color of unity and of loyalty. There, four seats awaited, and one was taken by a tall, long-bearded fellow. The High Magister, whispered the academ, bowing as they entered, taking in the decorations and eyeing, especially, the prepared foods.

As the children trickled in, Torath stood, his presence augmenting as he did, drawing the eyes and more than a few stares from the Academ as they stood before their chosen seats.

When the dragons did enter, all at separate points during the influx of the crowd, he stared at each of them until they returned the gaze, and beckoned them to sit beside him with a warm, welcoming smile, a place of great honor.

With them by his side, Torath motioned for the children to take their seats, in preparation for the blessing of food.

Cordeila listened to the rising sound of voices. Following the murmuring she found herself in the dining hall. Children of all ranges and sizes were sitting down at their rightful places. Her honey colored orbs, watched everyone as to evaluate them. Even though you had the three classes, she noted that from within each class there were seperated groups. Each of the people had something in common with the people surrounding them and made no moves to speak with their other peers.

With no group of her own, she suddenly knew for a fact she was an outsider. None of these kids would try to talk with her and she had no intentions of desperately seeking out company.

"Where do I even sit?"

She glanced around the brightly lite room, chewing on her bottom lip. She barely knew anyone here and she was standing so awkwardly in the middle of the hall. She could feel the stares of others on her back and muttered whispers made her ears itch.

She dragged her hand through her hair, only realizing all the objects from the forest that had personally decided to make a home in her head. A blush rose to her cheeks and she looked to an empty table. And that was where she sat, her hands fidiling with random assortments of rocks and twigs that stubbornly entangled themselves further into her locks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feeling more or less back to normal, Nozz watched as Mal entered the feast hall ahead of him. Foolish girl. He thought. She has no idea what these humans are capable of when they feel like it. She was...

Just like him.

He'd once been as optimistic as her. Seen the good in all beings, no matter what. He still even had human friends, the trunk on his back was a gift from a human, the same trunk that carried all of his memories of the decades of wandering. The rogueish bearing he usually carried wasn't an act, but for some reason, coming back to Gallace just brought all of his misgivings towards humanity to the forefront of his mind. Not that he was incorrect. Those in power sought to enslave them, after all.

What would the Monks of Tyrizel think of me? He mused, thinking back to his time on that mountain, hundreds of kilometres away, in the heart of the Griffon Territories. The monks were a human order, well respected even by the Griffons, and they taught compassion and kindness towards all... To a point. There was so much to life, so much to see in the world, and he'd seen such a small amount. If he could just show Mal a portion of what he'd learned, of the humans, their virtues, and their demons...

Maybe he'd finally have a Draconic Ally in this forsaken place.

Aristaeus nodded and sat down at a table, gesturing for her to sit opposite him.

"I guess I agree, their intentions seem peaceful so far, but things may change. However," he dropped his voice to a whisper at this point, "I believe that the Abbas is trying to convince people to turn away from the dragons, maybe even kill them. It's as if she has a personal vendetta against them. I don't like it. It worries me."

He looked around, then back to Lureana.

"Do you understand what I'm saying? I think the religious might be corrupt, especially the elite."

Lureana sat opposite him, glancing to where Torath sat. She listened to Aristaeus. She could see where he would draw such an opinion. She would have to be sure to speak without seeming to give away too much of her own thought on the matter.

"I can see how you would see that. Many of the orders have their faults, Lionharts enjoy their money, Teutonics enjoy power, and Templars follow their written words," she paused for a moment, studying the boy's expression. "If they are corrupt, it is human nature at its worst. I never thought entering a peace with dragons would be easy," she looked to the empty seats next to Torath. "Should the peace turn sour," she paused, looking aback at Aristaeus,"there will be more at stake than simple dragon slaying." She frowned at the thought, her eyes conveying a sadness she could not express. Her family had bared the burden of the aftermath of senseless wars and fighting. It wasn't something she'd hope the nation would go through again.

Her earlier stomach pains forgotten, Naralyn went back for another slice of peach pie. With a mischievous grin she scooped globs of whipped cream on the crust. She returned to her former seat and, humming happily, dove into her fourth serving. When she had taken her meals on the Lionhart training grounds she'd only eaten cuts of meat and bread. Naralyn made a mental note to dine in the hall more often. She couldn't resist desserts.

"Oooh! I hope they have chocolate pancakes at breakfast! Or brownies! Maybe they serve cheesecake too. I'd kill for some cheesecake," she hoped aloud as she indulged herself.

The dining hall was crowded now that Torath and the dragons had entered. Naralyn hadn't been aware she was suppose to wait. All the other students had said their blessings then sat and eaten their meals. Naralyn had watched them blankly, most of her meal already devoured by the time they started theirs.

At least now Naralyn had a chance to see dragons. They appeared human enough. Some of them had oddly colored hair, green and fiery red. Their most distinctive feature were their eyes, their pupils black slits and glassy yellow or orange irises. After making eye contact with one she felt a shiver run down her spine. What would it be like talking to a dragon? What would it be like sparring with one? Life at the Academy would surely prove to be exciting!

Heinrich hobbled into the dining hall, finally allowed leave by his nurses do to the constant pestering. His crutches made him seem an invalid while he shoved the doors open, but he didn't feel too bad. He knew it was only temporary.

He hopped past a few students munching away contentedly, some of which he recognized but ignored.

"A tray of something edible, please." He grit his teeth at the memory of the sludge they made him eat in the medical lounge.

Rowan stood alone, all of the priests in the room became deaf to Gaol's message, as soon as the Abbas spoke again.

After the Abbas finished she began to exit, her long robes flowed gracefully behind her as she walked across the stage. Cassia the master of religion, gave Gaol a glare as she walked in front of him. The acolyte watched his master stand in place for a moment, Gaol held his head high.

Priests started flooding out of the Grand Temple, many of them looked hungry and impatient after the meeting Rowan thought it was more of a rally, a meeting was open to discussion, which was not the case for this assembly. The exiting priests created a river of red, green and blue robes. Gaol and Rowan were rocks against the current, standing still, holding their ground and trying not to be swept away with the rest. Rowan decided to go to Gaol and had to fight the current as he headed upstream to his master.

The Temple was nearly empty by the time Rowan got the front. Gaol had a distant and concerned look about him.

"It seems not everyone sees things the ways we do" Rowan stated the obvious, in a ill-attempt to console his master. Rowan opened his mouth again but couldn't find the words. Gaol gave no response standing still like stone. Being called a heretic by the Abbas was not a good omen, they both knew this.

"I hoped...." Gaol paused and turned to his apprentice. The old Shaman's face was singing the song of defeat. "I hoped more would listen." Gaol finally said.

"They have chosen their path" Rowan said to Gaol with a faint smile. The two priests in blue were now the only one's in the temple. "We have chosen ours, Eesna will always see that justice will be done." This was the first time Rowan had ever seen Gaol so distraught, the man had been his rock and never wavered before.

"I have lost faith in man, Rowan." Gaol said solemnly, he closed his eyes and shook his head. "The justice Eesna brings will be upon all of us." He looked up to the roof the temple after he said Eesna.

Rowan listened carefully to his master, he hated seeing Gaol this way.

"Priests do not represent all of man." Gaol met the acolytes gaze, Rowan saw the years in his masters eyes, he looked tired and old. "There are other's who share the same views as us. We would not have this unsteady peace if it were not so." Rowan's voice echoed in the halls. "Humanity still has hope yet, do not waiver master, for Eesna has given us the opportunity to stop injustice before it is committed."

In that moment a smile cracked Gaol's solemn face, The man stood tall once more. The apprentice watched as his master shed the last few fragments of doubt.

"You're right acolyte" Gaol spoke with his old strong and authoritative voice. "It is you that gives me hope, humanity" Gaol placed his hand on Rowan on his good shoulder and give him a tired shake. Gaol knew that his apprentice would one day be a great priest, but instead of telling the boy he simply smiled with a nod. Rowan was filled with the same pride a son feels from his father. "Not all is lost yet, we can still serve Eesna and stop ourselves from making this grave mistake. I have made many enemies tonight Rowan, so were going to have to find ourselves some allies." Gaol let go of the boy and took a step back. "I'm going to speak with Brun and some of other close brothers of Eesna. You should go to the dining hall and talk to some of the knights, see which ones believe as we do."

"and the dragons." Rowan added. Gaol gave his apprentice an approving nod.

"I'll see you tomorrow morning in the chamber of Eesna after we both break fast." Gaol turned around and headed down to the chamber Eesna, everyone knew Brun ate there instead of the dining hall. "Hopefully we will have more friends by tomorrow" Gaol added as a goodbye.

Rowan started to walk out of the temple, he was the last priest remaining. He scoured his memory for anyone who could possibly feel differently about the dragons. The memory of Rowan's conversation with Herr Jakob flashed in Rowan's mind's eye. The main doors shook from the wind and Rowan had to push hard against the doors with his one arm to get them to open.

As if Eesna summoned the knight in that instant, Rowan saw Ser Jakob waiting patiently beside the temple doors.

"Herr Jakob, I need to speak with you." Rowan spoke with haste, he realized he had forgotten the normal formalities. The boy eyed the knight, hoping that this Templar would still be his friend in this mess.

The conversation had left Emmie sour and a little irritable. She found Beatrice after tethering the horses and sparred the afternoon away until the Supper bell tolled. She walked together with Academ a full foot shorter than her to the dining hall, and they crowded the door until it opened, moving to their assigned table, the colors leading them there.

A few seats down, Emmie caught sight of that boy, the one with that Lureana had shot by mistake, and Lureana sitting across from him. She frowned a little, and leaned towards them, whispering just loud enough to be heard.

"Lureana, you're supposed to be at the Lionhart's table." She said quietly. "Not here." She hefted the boy with a hostile stare, remembering how he had treated them, and wondering if he had some hold over Lureana because of it.

==============================================================

Once the children had settled in, Torath spoke.

“Children, Academ, tonight is of certain occasion… Beside me, and around me, are seated all citizens of Gallace, come to learn the art of swordplay and the cleanliness of the spiritual walk. This day is monumental because of this… This day, we gather… and we show mercy.” Torath’s voice fell into a near-mumble as he spoke. Even so, the rounded ceiling reflected the sound well, and it bounced with clarity into the ears of every Academ and Mentor present. “Mercy to… remove an old grudge that we’ve kept for far too long…. Mercy that has been extended to us throughout our lives…. Keep that goodness ready, Academ….”

He let out a long, low sigh, and straightened.

He muttered to himself in the silence that followed, and then shook his head. Surveying the crowd with a frustrated, curled brow, he said aloud, “Four score and six years ago… The dragons took up arms beside us in battle against a greater threat.”

“This is what allowed them passage to this new home…. Our Academy, you see... And here they will stay, under careful scrutiny, where the best knights of our realm shall ensure the safety and preservation of all present. Fear not, children; behave as you always do; admirably”

Torath coughed.

“At any rate, Academ. Do as you will. Hold that honor and chivalrous attitude and all that.”

He cleared his throat. “Now, Magisters. Teachers. I hope you were paying attention.”

“Come forward if you should find it to your advantage to personally train these,” He motioned to the right, where the strangely colored dragons sat. “New Academ.”

Lureana looked at the settings on the table. She thought that she felt something in the back of her mind telling her that something was off. "Ah, so I see," she chuckled. She had been much too engrossed in her conversation to notice such a thing. She nodded her thinks to Emmony before looking back to Aristaeus.

"I'll see you on the field tomorrow, Aristaeus," she said as she waved her goodbye and walked toward the Lionhart's side of things. When she found herself a seat, one that was as far away from the Lionharts as she could get, Torath began his speech. She nodded in agreement, but felt the tensions rise in the room. The other nobles muttered amongst themselves, mostly about their plans to talk to the dragons about culture, or some such nonsense. As usual, they didn't pay Lureana much mind. Being in the academy for so long, they just accepted her strange, unsocial ways. Though, a few did seemed piqued that she had entered with a Templar, and sat with him before returning to the Lionhart table. Ignoring the mutters, she stood and walked toward the buffet, collecting her selection of food before returning to her seat. She ate quietly, watching the Academ around her.

Then she turned her gaze to the dragons, the centerpieces of the whole dinner. They were odd in the sea of brunettes and blondes, she came to realize. They were different, but as she thought, she came to the conclusion that different didn't mean better or worse. Just like human nature, they had dragon nature. The same but different.

She picked at some of her meat, eating small pieces. Somehow, the small bit of time that she had to herself, she felt her muscles and mind relax. With no one to talk to, she had no one to risk telling her secrets to. She gave a small smile at the aspect. It wasn't that she disliked people, she just knew she had a terrible habit of letting her opinions show without care for repercussions. Plus, with no one around, she could possibly sneak out of the dinner early in order to practice with her short sword, and maybe see the horses at the stable. If she could convenience the night's watch to let her out of the gates, she would try to go for an evening's ride. There was something about the freedom of the gallop on top a powerful beast that she couldn't quite explain, but loved nonetheless.

"Ah, Rowan! How do you fare, acolyte?" Jakob's voice sounded muffled behind his helmet, but he made no move to remove it just yet. He found it comforting in a lot of ways, and though it often marked him as somewhat odd, he didn't mind. He waved the priest in training to follow him back inside the now mostly empty temple, his want for prayer still at the forefront of his mind.

"Much has changed, but I do fare well Sir Jakob." Rowan answered. The acolyte collected himself and didn't want to give off an anxious impression. He started to walk beside the magister as he followed the knight's direction, back into the temple. Rowan had almost forgotten that the knights also used the temple for praise, it had been a while since he witnessed a man in armor willing to pray to the Gods.

"I wanted to talk to you about dragons." Rowan got right to the point. He remembered that the knight didn't tolerate small talk in their last exchange. "I have come to believe that they are not the same devils that the Abbas has warned us about." Rowan chose his words carefully. The knights helmet masked Jakob's face, forcing Rowan to read the man's body language for any signs that he wasn't taking the message well.

Jakob slowed his walk, eyes flitting over to the man beside him for a moment before nodding to himself. He shook off his moment of thought and sighed, taking a knee at the main altar below the symbol of Airesh. He waited for the other to get comfortable as well before replying.

"You tread dangerous ground, Acolyte. May I ask what has changed your mind on such matters?"

Rowan walked to the other side of the knight so Jakob wasn't on his blind side. The acolyte knelt beside the Templar knight lowering his head to the sybol of Airesh on the altar. He quickly said a prayer to Airesh in respect for the Goddess before he spoke to Jakob.

When Jakob answered it pleased the acolyte to know that the knight was willing to speak of such matters, instead of spitting in his face and calling him a heretic.

"Dangerous ground indeed, but the pursuit of justice oft puts the good under the sword of evil" Rowan paused, he turned his head slightly towards Jakob "Master Gaol has explained to me that the child is not damned for the fathers sins. These dragons may not be devils like the ones before them." Rowan stopped himself before explaining more. He looked at Jakob to gauge the knight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back