• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Chivalry: Academy for Future Knights

"He could be right. I don't proclaim to be as wise as master Gaol." Jakob bowed his head for a moment, his mind forming the prayer silently. "While I appreciate you confiding in me, do you seek something specific? Counsel can only go so far unless given the true topic."

Rowan nodded to Jakob, the acolyte believed he was just as wise as Gaol and a good friend. If Rowan had chosen to be a knight he would want Jakob to he his mentor.

"Thank you for listening Sir Jakob, at least you're mind can see our reasoning." Rowan looked up to scan the temple for eves droppers. Not a soul paid attention to the two in front of the altar. Rowan thought about the true topic. He was sent by Gaol to find allies, others who shared their beliefs, humans who did not want to declare war on the dragons if it was unjust.

"In the assembly today the Abbas united the priest-hood in uniform hate against these dragons. I am asking you, if you stand up against her if she goes down a path of hateful vengeance." Rowan stopped to breath, he spoke quickly and quietly forgetting to inhale. Rowan said a small prayer to Eensa and the rest of the divines for Jakob to say yes. The doubtful half of the acolyte whispered that Jakob was the leader of the Knights of the Holy Sepulchre, he would never defy the Abbas.

Rowan waited patiently for an answer, waiting to see which side wins the battle, hope or doubt.

Jakob didn't look at the young priest for a time, his eyes scanning the relic of Airesh as he thought. He knew his answer immediately, but didn't know how best to speak it. The lad obviously hoped for him to agree, and while a small part of him wanted to, he could never do so.

"I understand your plight, Acolyte. You see a cause you think worth dying for, and you stand against the many to see it become reality. There is honor in that." He rose from his knees, standing and facing the other man. "But I cannot help you. I swore on my life that I would obey the wishes of my order, no matter how odd or even disastrous they may be. Should war be declared on the dragons, I will stand among those who answer the call, whether I like it or not."

Not a single mentor stood to Torath's call. None spoke out, though a shifting in their seats and an aversion of their eyes was clearly visible. Some held indignation in their rigid necks, and others held trembling hands in front of them, fear contained in their expressions.

To the perceptive, it would be clear. The magisters were divided; the minority feared their sentiments of amicability with the dragons while the majority despised and spit upon the thought of assimilating the dragons into their midst.

Torath let loose a gravelly sigh as he leaned forward on the table. Craning his neck forward, the old bearded man squinted, as though it were difficult for him to see whether any had stood. After a spell, Torath raised his wrinkled eyes to the ceiling, expelling breath for a second time.

"Oh, very well. I'll just have the dragons choose, then." He turned to the creatures beside him. "Pick a table, friends. One per Order, let's be fair."

Mahl'Iss kept herself from looking at Noz'Onn for guidance, and whispered that Ma'Ar choose the gold one. She had noticed their silent tolerance of the dragons, and were less rough with the newcomers than any of the other two. Mal herself eyed the Templars, knowing Noz'Onn too prideful and Ma'Ar too young to handle the danger of their hostile glares there.

But Mal had faced hardship before, and she was unafraid to face it again. Rigidly, she stood and walked down the steps with light feet, moving straight past the gold of the Lionhart and the red of the Teutonic for the table beyond, where already cold looks had begun to dominate the faces of those sitting there.

Heinrich had made room at the Teutonic table, the looks of slight discomfort at his presence not bothering him in the least. He began to dig into his food with a vengeance, looking up with a mouthful and waving at Nozz. He sloppily swiped a hand across his mouth to clear it of food before digging in again.

Cordelia had finally managed to fish out the last of the woody rubble from her hair. Her fingers combed through the dirty strands as she hummed a soft tune from her youth. She had heard the old Magister said and for some reason it didn't make her angry. Well, no. That would be a lie. She felt a spark of something. Possible respect that the dragons would stoop so low as to actually learn of such lowly human ways? Or maybe anger from the fact they would be learning their customs while their life style remained a mystery shrouded in a foggy mist? She couldn't name what she had felt in those past moments. But she had decided that the reason of her far flung flame of temper was because her curiosity had tampered it off.

Yes, she still had the ideals of a child in some ways. She still liked learning of new things and asking obnoxious questions that had no answers. Her caramel eyes traveled to where the dragons sat. She decided that they seemed alone. Isolated. Queer. Misfits. She laid her head down on crossed arms, her hair falling over in a curtain. She sighed. It had been a mess to clean, her aunt had warned her to cut it off to her shoulders. It would get in the way during practice and just normal day living. It fell to her thighs and really only a braid could manage the thickness, but she didn't care. Her father loved her long hair and told her it made her look like a princess from a fairy tale. She had always liked that idea, being a princess. She would run around the yard demanding her small, bony cat to obey her orders. It would only roll on it's side and ignore her by falling asleep.

She snorted, muttering to herself, "Ignorant cat." She then spotted the boy which seemingly was annoyed by mothering nurses who murmured their concerns for his well-being. Her nails drummed on the hard wooden surface of the table, a gentle beat rhythmically falling in tune with her lullaby.

"Heinrich, I believe..."

Her thoughts then fell onto the hidden passageways under the Academy. So many tunnels with so many different entrances and exits. I'm probably the only student that knows about them. This could give her some advantage, an advantage she still had not figured out. It had crossed her mind to tell Heinrich of the meadow she had found earlier. It was a safe distance from the Academy and from watchful eyes, and it was surprisingly simple to get to. Well, if you were one who gets lost of the daily. Cordelia had to pause before she rushed that decision. Would it be wise? What if she learned those tunnels well enough that she could escape to her own private spot where only she could be alone. It was a tantalizing idea. She knew that being completely alone would be impossible with all the bustling students who went this way and that.

Her gaze then once more rested on the dragons. She had a mission. Two in fact. But her uncle would want answers to his own inquiries of the newest addition to the human domain. Questions in which she would have to figure out. And how else could she do so without getting up and personal? So she stood and carefully manuvered her way through the crowded people to stands right in front of the blue haired dragon, a beautiful smile now placed and planted where a frown was apparent seconds earlier.

"Hey! Sorry about almost running you over."

The red dragon could feel the withering gaze of Mal as she moved to sit with the Templars, the worst of the humans. With his eyes averted, he moved to the Tuetonic table. They respected power, and if there was any group he could bring to his aide, it would be them. With luck, he could change their minds en-masse.

I wonder if the monks would approve, winning wars without firing an arrow is their mantra, after all.

Heinrich frowned a little when Nozz just took a seat amongst the nobodies instead of by him. He hadn't thought their friendship had fallen during their brief time apart, but it mattered not. He could always rekindle it to suit his purposes. Shrugging to himself, he finished off the rest of his meal.

Intercepted a number of steps from the Templar seats, Mal regarded the silver human with a curious gaze. The wide teeth that were bared by the human's stretched lips was at first interpreted as a furious expression, as Mal still had difficulty translating the nuances in human expressions.

"I took no offense." She replied succinctly, her face carefully blank. After a moment's consideration, Mahl'Iss added, "And I thank you for your willingness to make amends."

Beyond them, the High Magister announced that he was done and everyone could go about their own business now. The dragons would dorm with their chosen Order, and for everyone to be friendly or some such silliness.

Once he had finished his barely comprehensive mumbles, Mahl'Iss returned her attention to the human, and asked her name politely.

"I am Cordelia, niece of..." She stopped unsure if it would be wise to tell the other of her heritage. She wasn't sure if the dragons understood their governmental systems but if they did it would be most cumbersome for herself. She waved a hand, laughing slightly. "Formalities and titles are quite featherbrained. Just call Cord."

She held out her hand, her heart inwardly clenching in some form of shame when a few inappropriate names, which should not be said, were thrown towards her. But she didn't regret coming forward to great the girl. Not at all. If anything opportunities are to be taken when given. And she would ring this opportunity out dry by any means. So she didn't flinch nor did she lower her hand.

"It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Mahl'Iss stared at the Cordelia's hand in silence, and raised her gaze when humans hissed around them, clearly malicious by their huddled forms and squinted faces.

It was certainly a strange kind of peace, when the allies were seen as monstrous deceivers.

But Mal swallowed her pride.

Mimicking the strange human gesture, Mal put forth her same hand, so that their arms were linear to one another. "Call me Mal." She said quietly. "And I do agree with your statement. I, too, take pleasure in this meeting."

She bit her lip, holding back a laugh. "You are quite strange, aren't you?" She took the dragon's hand and placed it in her own. "It's called a hand shake, love. It's a human way in how we greet each other .... and secretly implant viruses and germs into our enemies. Quite an easy way to kill people without drawing blood." She swiped her hand away waving them in the air, with a mischievous grin filled with cheeky wit.

Oh this was going to be indisputably delicious.

Nozz noted a look of sadness on Heinrich's face when he sat down. The dragon had lapsed, and slipped back into old habits. Humans were much more social creatures than they, and not sitting near this 'friend' may have caused irreparable damage already. He kicked himself internally before shooting a look of solidarity at the Teuton further down the table, hoping he would take it the way it was intended.

Cordelia's soft flesh was malleable against Mal's harsher hand, and the dragon felt the vulnerability there. A movement too quick or too sharp would pierce it easily. She marveled at the Great Slaying. That such small, weak creatures could overcome the dragons was beyond her, but it was a reality she had to accept.

As the human's words dawned on her, Mal's expression grew from blank to plainly accusatory.

"You insult me!" She said aloud. "You seek my demise!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Heinrich picked up his empty plate and tossed it into the trash nearby, standing and moving towards Nozz's side of the table. The other students had all been deathly quiet around him as far as he could tell, and so put a hand on the shoulder of the nearest man and shoved him aside to make room on the bench.

Ignoring the protests of the less significant, Heinrich smiled for Nozz.

"Heil, dragon. Ignore these limp sausages, they know not how to show bravery when faced with true power."

"And I would like to change that." He replied in a friendly manner. "You Teutons respect power, what greater power is there than a creature that has been, and will be, fighting for longer than any of you can ever hope to live?"

"Ha! Truth spoken if I've ever heard it, right there. Respect must go both ways mein freund. perhaps you could find a reason to respect a few of us humans if given enough time." Heinrich leaned forward, his elbows on the table.

"You seem like the most noble of the three, in my opinion. Would you reside with the strong? Or will you remain with the other dragons?"

Cordelia tilted her head a look of innocence falling over her features. Placing her two hands on her hips, she rolled her fingertips in a steady tap. She frowned slightly, eyes closed as if she was in thought. There was a long pause. Many of the student had turned round when the she-dragon had spoken so abruptly. But this was all apart of the game. Cordelia loved games and this seemed too sweet of a chance to have some fun.

She finally opened her eyes and looked up at dragoness. "I suppose I do!" She fisted her hand and knocked it against her head as if in a way of punishing herself. She then paced in rapid circles, loudly declaring her apologies. "I fear as of being such a weak and perishable human, a pest in most likely your eyes, I must seem below you. And to even think of touching me....!! She gasped as terror flew to her eyes. "I have soiled you!"

She place her hand against her heart, falling weakly next to a table only grabbing onto it's edge. The students at the table immediately stood up, panicking at such outcries and rushed away from the scene. Plates crashed to the floor in the process of their wild escape and others stood up wide eyed at what was happening before them.

With her knee bowed and head fallen forward in a graceful disgrace, she spoke with shaken tones, "Dear dragon! I am terribly sorry! I can not imagine such a deed I have bestowed! My very heart trembles at the thought of laying such a treacherous curse onto you!" Her body raked in sob, she shook. But her shaking turning into peels of laughter with tears streaming down her face.

Indeed she stood quite shakily as she clenched her sides. "M-My dear girl! How you amuse me so! For sure I thought you would have seen through my tricks! But I was a fool to think other wise." She wiped tears away, giggling softly. "I shant say I am sorry. You were just right for the picking." She bowed this time for purpose, her wild hair flowing with her at the position

"Welcome to the realm of human. Tricksters and deceivers of all beasts. We thrive for our games and petty ideas of fun. And you have been acquired as a new game piece!" She stood up right, winking childishly. "And possibly I am the Queen of those games. Might want to get used to being teased, darling. It what we are all about."

"I'm sorry to say, mein fruend, but I'm a terrible Dragon." He replied, steepling his fingers, "and I'm also pretty bad at being a human. I'm on my own side, sorry to say, but I can teach you and your friends a little something about true power, if you want to listen. I know we're pretty far away from it, but have you ever heard of the Legendary Griffon Monks here in Gallace?"

Heinrich shrugged, waving a hand dismissively.

"Some old men in the mountains? Don't tell me they are religious? We get enough of that from the damned Templars."

Nozz smiled. "Would you believe me if I told you that three monks once stopped an entire army in it's tracks?" He knew the story well. He'd been there, after all.

Heinrich's sarcastic smile slowly melted as he searched the dragons face, looking for the lie through his features. His eyes narrowed, and he leaned in a little bit.

"Define 'army'."

"One thousand men." He said flatly. "The greatest warriors a jealous king could put together, aimed directly at the heart of the Griffon Council. All that stood in their way was three Master Monks."

"Dragon, if this is some story of a god smiting the wicked I will lose a touch of respect for you. I thought you smarter than that." Despite his words, Heinrich found himself curious. If this story had any credence, then for all intents and purposes, he could wield it too.

The whole showy debacle created a small universe of chaos in the dining hall, drawing attention from all around. Mal looked on as a din of fragmented thoughts arose in her own mind, all aswirl in a flurry of the incomprehension that was taking place before her.

And through the storm of pandemonium, Mahl managed, though she reeled and stumbled as she did, to realize that the human before her was strange even by human standards. This Cordelia sent humans running from benighted comprehension, fearful of the unknown and strange that they seemed to place as synonymous with her presence.

But when the girl before Mal laughed so freely, the dragon took a step back in her impressions. The human continued to speak in riddles, and Mal was unsure how sincere every enigmatic word was, but she managed to understand that no harm was meant.

That it was, plainly, a Ssaak.

So Mal swallowed her offense, and analyzed the human for a second time.

She said nothing as the human explained herself, and, in part, Mal supposed Cordelia also welcomed her.

Even so, it was difficult to formulate a response to the foreign behavior. Mal had seen the strutting dragons after the war, drunk on victory and making all manner of Ssaak with one another.

But this separated Mal even from her own kind. There had been no such laughter in the Death Lands.

"I... I thank you for the welcome." Mal nodded curtly. She took a step back, preparing a retreat. The jesting was more than overwheling for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back