• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Chivalry: Academy for Future Knights

Rude as ever.

Mal swallowed her pride and followed after him.

They traversed a long plot of grassy terrain, bumpy and uneven with the years of weathering and horse-hoovering. The darkness stretched the distance out before them, shadows encroaching in the comforting cold of night. Mal was only a few steps behind Nozz's back, her footsteps in line with his until the grass turned to dirt and the space to brush and the rising trunks of birch trees.

The sound of a stream trickling across rock and pebble grew louder. Mal could smell, even in this form, the scent of muddied ground. She began to guess, and this guess was confirmed as they pushed through one last rising of brush.

Noz'Onn's burst of flame illuminated it. They stood atop a cliff raised yards above the expanse of a lake.

Mal breathed in deep.

The scent was pure.

Nozz felt his smile grow as she took in the pure scent of the land around them. "Welcome to my little hidey hole." He said proudly. "There's no humans around for miles, and we're high enough that nobody'd ever see us. This is where I've been staying." He placed his trunk on the ground a decent distance away from the lake before sprinting towards it and leaping in. When he surfaced, he was 25 feet long, and his eyes gleamed with a mischievous light. "Come on Glacier, cut loose for once!"

Where are they? Jakob walked through the Templar holding, passing row after row of sleeping students, searching for a sign of at least one dragon, but so far had seen nothing. After his patrol through the undercroft, he'd gone to ensure everything remained well with their visitors within the barracks, but worry had begun to eat at him at their absence.

Please don't let some student have become foolhardy and try to wound one of the creatures... He decided to check a few more places before he became truly worried. If he could not find them soon, he would be forced to alert the order master, causing a much bigger stir than he cared to see.

He had rushed past her much too quick. So consumed with the release of being in nature was she that she nearly forgot her purpose in coming here. When he submerged, the sweet water bursting forth from his sudden impact, Mal remembered.

She regarded the emerging dragon, steam rolling from his form, with a conflicted heart.

She humored him to kill him, or, failing that, at least send him away.

But the water and her true form sang to her, and fierce longing constricted her breath.

Mal fell in, arms stretching out as she plummetted down, down, and sunk beneath the surface.

The diluted explosion of her tear in the water sounded dully on her immersed ears and Mal let go of the humanity, feeling her body morph long and stretch tall, her neck pulling out into an arching curve, a tail sprouting out. The dragoness extended from the humanity, and she felt herself return, released, freed.

Mal spun around in the water, dipping up at the surface before slithering below, gliding across the blueing density. She gravitated to the heat emanating from Nozz'Onn and flickered around him, twisting in the joy that came with liberty.

She spout out a playful challenge, sending water careening out to his face.

Nozz laughed as the water splashed he snout, he swiped with his paw, sending a large wave towards Mal. "There's the smile I've been waiting for. Not everything in life has to be so serious, even in situations as dire as ours." He undulated through the water, using his tail to push himself along. "When was the last time you cut loose?" he said with a wry smile.

Mahl'Iss was thrown a few feet back by the wave and she chortled, snapping her tail to udder herself nearer to the fire dragon. She blew ice at the water's surface, extending a zagging line towards Nozz'Onn, ice that melted at the contact and blew off a hissing steam. She chortled again. But at his words, she stilled in place, ripples forming from her floating frame.

Her large blue eyes stared out at him in silent regard. "I should not take such joy in this, yet I cannot deny that I have already. It has been... not since I was a 'ling did the laughing spirit possess me so."

"We have lived very different lives." Mahl'Iss said, watching the water swell and recess. She was being very careless, just then. Lost in the excitement of release, Mahl'Iss had acted without pre-thought or prudence. "You seem not to sense the danger nor think of the consequence of your actions. Instead, you charge forward blindly in mind and heart." She had not the stomach to tear out his throat now, but, dipping a claw across the water, Mahl'Iss knew one of them would have to back down if they were to be united as allies. "But perhaps that is not entirely a loss."

"You can't be serious all the time. You know what they say about all work and no play." He continued swimming around her. "Just because I'm not being serious all the time doesn't mean I'm not aware of the danger. Did you ever wonder why I poisoned myself earlier?"

"I thought it better not to ask." Mahl'Iss replied drily, following him with her eyes. "But if you would tell me, I would listen."

Speed walking through the halls now, Jakob moved toward the outer wall guard barracks and the alarm bell he knew lay just outside it's doors. He'd only seen the one smaller dragon still inside, but the others were unaccounted for. A few magisters had been up and walking about during his search, and he'd quietly told them all to help him search so far to no success.

With everywhere in the academy he could think of checked, he now stood before the alarm bell struck by indecision. If he did this, and they were simply somewhere he'd missed inside he'd never hear the end of it, but if he didn't and something had actually happened to them....

With a sure step forward he gripped the chain and began ringing the bell, raising his voice to those who stumbled out of the barracks near him.

"Up and stand to! Up and stand to!"

Rowan stood in the middle of his father's golden yellow fields. Course dirt stained rough spun wool covered his entire body, the same type of clothes he used to wear every day. The sun shone brightly in the middle of the sky, like all of the other mid summer days. A warm wind brushed against Rowan with the scent of the harvest season, the air forced the wheat to bend and dance. The Boy lifted both of his arms up to the air and sucked in the scent with a deep inhale. Rowan felt as if he had forgotten this place, his home.

His arms brushed the crowns of the wheat, tickling his skin. In the distance Rowan could see the village rooftops against the black mountains. The manor of the duke loomed over the other small buildings as if they were kneeling swearing fealty to the lord's building. Rowans fathers house sat alone at the edge of the fields.

Rowan had half a mind to walk home and eat some soup, but something held him back. I should be doing something.... The thought both troubled and tickled his curiosity. Suddenly a voice he hasn't heard in along time met his ears.

"Rowan" The boy still recognized his sisters voice. He spun around to see if she was really there.

Two shapes stood deep in the fields, one big and one small. Rowan squinted his eyes to try and make them out. His instincts told him to run to them and he followed. Rows and rows of wheat whizzed passed the boy as he drew closer to the figures. Details started to come back to the two people standing still. Rowan could tell it was his sister standing beside his father.

"FATHER! RITA!!" Rowan cried out to them, tears started to form in his eyes.

"Rowan" This time it was his fathers voice. His family didn't move or even open their mouths, they just watched, still. No matter how hard the boy ran he couldn't get closer.

"YOU'RE ALIVE!" Rowan screamed, now sprinting.

"Rowan" A third deep and raspy voice called out. Rowan couldn't quite put a face to the voice until Master Gaol appeared standing beside his father.

Rowan ran harder and harder trying to reach his family and mentor but the fields were endless. Each step didn't bring his any closer no matter how hard they forced the ground behind him. The fields turned black, the smell and taste of smoke burned his lungs. Finally the boy stopped and looked at the village.

A wall of flames crawled over the village and slowly pressed its way closer to the fields. Rowan noticed the flames burnt silently.

"Rowan" Gaol called out again. The boy turned to see the figures on fire. The blue silk of Gaol's master robes burning around him. "Wake up."

"Up and stand to! Guardsmen, form up!" Jakob yelled to the growing number of soldiers running from the inner depths of the academy, trying to turn them from a panic and into something of use. "Sergeants form squads! We need search parties on the double." While a few soldiers asked aloud what was going on, most were silenced by their prospective sergeant's. Once a decent enough group had formed, Jakob let go of the bell and began calling the sergeants to him.

"I realize some of you may not agree with what I'm about to ask of you, but the dragons have gone missing and must be found. The academy grounds have already been searched, and we need patrols outside the grounds as soon as possible."

"Like hell." A gruff faced sergeant with the teutonic staple over his chest sneered at the prospect being handed down. "The worms can rot in the forest for all I care."

"Enough, sergeant. You will do as instructed. Take the north road and split your company as you see fit for the forest search. If you catch any sign of them, report back immediately."

Most saluted with fist to chest without question; but a few, mostly Templars, cast uncomfortable glances at their brothers until shooed into motion by sergeants.

Noz'Onn leaned back in the water, using his wings as rudders. "It's a technique I learned from dragons in the Griffon Kingdom, Griffon horns are incredibly poisonous to dragons, but in the right dosage, they can be used to contact souls that have left the world. All it requires is a connection to the soul, and the strength of the contact depends on the reagent. Dragonscale Blades are the best, and serve as the strongest contact, but sometimes even a scale will do." He exhaled, and a plume of black smoke rose from his mouth. "I've lost my mother, and my closest friend to the humans, and now there's a chance we're going to become their slaves? I told you I'd die before I became a human's Battlemount, and I was deadly serious. I was seeking their guidance, and I think I have an idea of how both of our races can survive this."

==========================================

An alarm rang up from the Lionhart’s Tower quarter.

The emerging students carried a vomit-covered boy, blonde hair softly fluttering in the nightly breeze, unto the growing crowd of gathered knights-to-be.

Vomit coated his face, and the boy was leaned back, so still he appeared dead.

“He just started coughing.” One of the students said. “I don’t know how or why… but he’s not waking up.”

==========================================

“How’s that..? Some way besides what has already been shown?” Mal asked quietly. Floating atop the lake, she bristled in anticipation of another disagreement. It was strange to think that this dragon had risked death in order to obtain that contact -- really, amongst their kind this was not only a breaking of Nature’s order, but an act of near-suicide. Even while she knew this, in some ways she envied him that dedication. Mal had those she desired to see; her parents… the colony… and the one dragon behind the veil. But she had never gathered the courage to see it through. “Wildfire, tell me truly. Do you desire separation from the task the Eldest has given us?”

Noz’Onn shrugged. “No. I just want a better way than becoming subservient. I’ve seen humans live in harmony with magical races, there has to be some way to bring about peace without one race suffering for it.”

Mal circled him, wary. “Then... What did you have in mind?”

“The spirits showed me a human. A man, somehow he’s involved, he can help. Even though the ether I could feel something coming from him, almost as if he were a dragon himself. He even reminds me of the Eldest’s human form… It’s strange.”

Mal was skeptical, but she dipped her head, mild interest in her eyes. “Where can we find him? What makes him of value? And what peace would he bring, being a dragon like us?”

“That’s just it. He’s not a dragon. I could tell that much. It reminds me of the old stories the Eldest used to tell when I was a dragonling. Of humans chosen by the dragons to be their perfect warriors, imbued with draconic power to fight for the oligarchy, yet, the power I felt was that of the old dragon himself. I mean, he was around during the war, but he never mentioned creating a Dragon Knight, and I doubt he would have had the power to do so at the time. It’s strange.”
The dragon shrugged, sending ripples through the lake’s surface. “All I know is that he’ll be a big part of this. He could be our saviour, or our doom. Unfortunately, the spirits can’t be that specific.”

“This sounds to me of great value.” Mal’Iss said. Her opinion of the fire drake was turning over for the better as he spoke. “You have my eyes in finding this one. But,” She hesitated. “In order for us to unite, even in this, we must be of the same mind, do you agree?”

“I suppose.” He shrugged. “But you must know. Humans aren’t full souls. There is a hole in their being that they continually try to fill. Of course there are exceptions, I’ve met quite a few generous humans, but as a rule, don’t give in to their demands. Give a human an inch, and they’ll take a mile, especially the humans of Gallace, as they see us as all powerful demons. They only have the power we give them.”

“I know not of this. I know little of humanity. I only meant that…”
She raised her head up to the moon, watching beams bright with light touch on the slow-moving waves atop the water’s surface. “Our primary goal here is to befriend humanity. Whatever their state, we have been sent as ambassadors of peace… I want to be united in this, and in an effort to attend to the rules they place upon us.” She dropped her eyes to Nozz’On’s, meeting them to show her sincerity, and honest request. “I desire your help. I may be the weakest, and least capable of accomplishing peace, but I am not lacking the yearning for it. I believe you’ve come for the same reason, and perhaps desire something even greater. So let us not bicker, as we have before. Instead, I hope that we may find friendship, alliance, and loyalty to one another, and have a bond forged by the goal we are united in the wanting.”

“I don’t disagree. Our methods are different, but we seek the same thing. Everything I’ve done has been to stay in top condition and ensure that I don’t miss something important. Staying in human form is the main thing that’ll make us weak.”

“Why would it make us weak?” Mal grumbled. “Our dragon form remains as it is. A year or two as a human will mean little in the long run, won’t it? Especially with the risk of being caught, killed, and being the blame for the resulting war.”

“Ever been in an isolation chamber?” He asked, raising a scaled brow.

Mal tossed her head in a body language “no”. She had never before heard the term.

“It’s something the humans came up with to treat mental illness. Truly barbaric. It’s a massive chamber, soundproofed, with no light, and its acoustics are designed to completely remove all spatial awareness.” He shook his head in disappointment. “I knew a human that was locked in one for a year and a half, and it was my fault he was, when he came out, his senses were absolutely shot. It was terrible. I killed him. Anything was better than the pain he was in, but it wasn’t before I asked him what it was like inside the chamber. Slowly, his senses betrayed him, growing weaker and weaker, until he was unable to see his hands even if they were held to his face. The way he described the degradation, it sounded so much like how I feel when I’m human for long periods. Surely you noticed it? You’ve been human for a week. Surely you noticed the sensory overload when you shifted back?”

“I… did not know it would reach so far.”
Mal lowered her head onto the water, rippling it, and sinking into it some, her nostrils remaining above as her body began to submerge. “I do find the form repulsive, even disrupting. Blind, deaf, mute, empty… I despise it. I despise being in it…” It was not too far a stretch to think that it would make her mad after too long. “But we gave our word that we would. Didn’t we?”

“That’s the problem with the Eldest.” Noz’Onn mused. “The old dragon always has an ulterior motive. There must be a reason he said to, when he knows more than anyone how damaging maintaining that form is. There must be something else.”

Mal nodded. She would abide by this alliance for now, and so long as Nozz’Onn did not court danger and thought through his actions, she would not stand in his way. “I’ll think on that, then. Perhaps it will become clear soon enough. But I will not be joining you to dally in this form again, much as I’m tempted to. I will test that theory of senselessness and madness in keeping the word I gave.”

The conversation came to an end with that, and Mahl’Iss was lead by Noz’Onn to a cave deeper into the forest, one softened by moss and primed by fire with awaiting warmth. Mal took up residence in the deeper half, the moisture at the end of it chilling at her curled touch.

A strange kind of atmosphere rose up at both their proximity to one another and their varying effects on their surroundings. The moisture formed a swirling between them, hot and cold mixing in a cloudy vortex mist. Their kind were of such opposite that without a dragon of air between them, rarely did the two incongruent kinds of fire and ice remain together. The flame dragons found the ice unpleasant, and the ice dragons found the other’s heat equally distasteful. While a mutual rivalry had emerged between them, the air’s neutrality eased the conflict over with the smooth eloquence their tongues were known to have. Mahl’Iss would follow what she had seen the airy ones do, and bend her icy nature to compromise with Wildfire.

She only hoped that she did not crack and shatter in the process.

Sleep claimed them both in the comfort of the enclosed cavern, high above the forest, atop a cliff and obscured by shrubs and bushes.

====================================

Morning had broken through. The sun crept up over the horizon, and with it the chill of night was the lesser.

The dragons had since surfaced on the Academy Grounds. Reprimanded by Templar Mentors, they’d been found in the nearby moat, soaked and entirely disheveled, but safe. They came to Mason as soon as they’d heard, and stayed with him until the messengers took him away. They watched him be carried off, and they were not seen from again that morning.

Foul play in the form of poison was suspected in the sudden illness that overtook the Academy’s guest, the dragon boy, Mason. An air of suspicion and fear swept over the castle as this realization set in. The uncertainty of the day to come, and, for some, yesternight’s fruitless searching, had left many students sleepless, and the dark circles under their eyes, the shuffling gait in their steps, had more than demonstrated this to Torath.

But at the gathering that morning, the Headmaster gave out in mumbling speech a word of encouragement.

The boy was alive, and would live.

Mason would be sent back to the Dragon Tribe, and if negotiations go smoothly, an ambassador will be sent in the boy’s place to take up his role here.

But there was no denying that the state of trust between them; wavering, nigh shattered, was no fault of dragons. Humans were to blame. And so, as humans do, Gallace shall take responsibility. Methods shall be changed so that this does not happen a second time.

A new room would be furnished for the living of certain exemplary students, and one exemplary mentor to guide these

Torath, after a moment’s hesitation and mad mumbles, raised his voice in a sudden strong, booming tone.

“The Exemplary will be called and asked of this, privately, so that their prudence will not be cause for any perceived shame. None shall be forced to sleep beside a Dragon.”

The students were thusly dismissed.

But before they left to the Grand Temple for Morning’s Prayer, as was required by the Academy, certain students were pulled from the crowd, summoned to Torath’s chambers.

They were as follows; Heinrich von Vanderfell, Lureana Rompth, Aristeaus Versols, and Cordelia Acosta.

Among the requested summons was one mentor; Jakob von Salzahausen.

==============================================

Last edited by a moderator:
Heinrich slapped at the hand of the man who touched his surcoat, turning to face him with an expression of aloofness. Before he could reprimand the one who touched him, the messenger bowed and relayed the summons.

"Heinrich Von Vanderfell? You have been summoned to the academy head's chambers."

Heinrich blinked in surprise, his moment of anger evaporating nigh instantaneously as he digested this new information. The messenger left quickly from the Teutonic dorms, but Heinrich hardly even noticed his departure so enraptured was he with the possibilities. Grabbing his best tabard and shrugging it on, he bolted for the headmaster's chambers.

Jakob strode through the main entryway of Torath's office, the two knights standing watch saluted with fist to chest and parted for him to enter. Torath's office always seemed to Jakob more in tune with one who had recently lost his mind. Oddities and items of which he could discern no use sat on the his desk and shelves, and a hodgepodge of scribbling's and stacks of paper littered parts of the room reminiscent of a tornado.

The headmaster himself sat in his chair, and Jakob immediately snapped to attention with fist to heart.

"Heil, Herr Torath. You summoned me?"

Aristaeus knew he had been summoned to the headmaster's chambers, but he took his time. This was either a disciplinary action for his speaking out against the gods last night, or the recent poisoning of the dragon boy, Mason. Aristaeus was more than happy to be pulled aside to avoid the morning prayer, for he did not wish to hear the priests mumble on about gods who probably did not exist, and even if they did, would not deign to help the poor souls that requested it. So no, he did not feel like sitting through the droning on of "godly men" who worshipped cruel gods.

Aristaeus arrived outside the headmaster's office, and delicately, knocked three times, knocks that seemed to echo on and on.

Lureana had stayed up most of the night helping the medics with the sick dragon. The moment the commotion started, she was awake and doing her best to assist. Before they determined it was poisoning, they ushered her out, insisting that she sleep before morning temple. She had slept little, worrying over the poor creatures' condition.

That morning, her hair was pulled back into a ponytail instead of hanging loose, and she had done her morning jog before the sun had appeared over the horizon. There were dark circles under her eyes, but she stood tall, appearing to be unaffected by her sleepless night even though she felt exhausted. But she couldn't let the lack of rest get the best of her. When she was summoned to headmaster's office, she wasted no time in arriving. She noticed Aristaeus standing there and she glanced down at his foot before clearing her throat. She gave a gentle smile.

"How is the foot?" she asked politely. She wondered what the headmaster wanted to see her for. She had no marks against her as an Academ, and unless he found out about the real state of her family in terms of funds, she could only assume this meeting had something to do with the poor little dragon that was poisoned.

Heinrich entered the headmaster's waiting area with a wide smirk across his face, a strong gait and his chest puffed out. He felt exceedingly better from his injuries, and ignored what little pain remained to the best of his abilities. Nothing would keep him from looking his best before the headmaster. Especially not something as pathetic as pain.

The lobby had occupants already, to his great dismay. He'd hoped to be the first to arrive. The smaller woman he'd seen watching on the tourney field before spoke quietly to another he was not familiar with, so he spared a wink for her and shouldered past the man as he strode for the doors. He could hear voices inside, and grimaced. He hated having to wait.

Aristaeus looked over at Lureana somberly. He wondered why she was here. Could she have been summoned like he was? It took him a moment, but he finally realized she asked how his foot was.

"Oh, thank you for asking, my foot's fine now, as I said it would be," He was lying, his foot was definitely not alright, it still hurt like hell, "Although, based on us being summoned here, I don't know how well I'll be able to fulfill my promise to practice with you." He smiled then, ever so slightly, before being knocked off balance and falling down, bracing himself on his hands. He glared at the back of the newcomer who has knocked him down in his impatience. He must be an arrogant fool. If not for his desire to remain here, Aristaeus might have flown off the handle. Instead he braced himself on the wall and stood back up, dusting himself off.

Heinrich paced before the sturdy wooden doors between him and the headmaster's study, casting occasional glances at the pair of people in the room with him. His heavy workout boots thudded heavily against the floor, accompanied by a slight jangle of the chainmail he wore under the tabard. With every step his excitement and impatience began to grow, gnawing at him persistently with all the things this meeting could mean.

He tried piecing together why the other two were there as well, and eventually settled on it being coincidence. Likely some small quibble they had for the headmaster to mediate over and waste his time with.

Torath listened as the crowd outside his study grew larger and larger. He had expected there to be opposition to his plans, he'd even prepared for it. But and outright attempt on a student's life? This soon? It worried him. There was no culprit to be found, and he had little doubt that now he would have to deal with the rage of both the dragons, and his own kind. His mood soured as he gulped down his tea.

He'd been watching Jakob in silence this entire time, sizing the man up, trying to judge his motives. He knew the knight thought the old wizard mad, and the disparaging looks at his many knick knacks were quite obvious. He wasn't a man of subtlety, but he could be useful. Even though his draconic charges would hate the old man for it.

"Jakob. I have a special assignment for you." Torath said simply. "I wish for you to personally mentor the dragons in our ways. The ways of the sword, and of our culture. And in exchange, I want you to learn from them." He retrieved three rolls of parchment from beneath his desk. One of them much newer than the others. "These dossiers were written by the Dragon-Leader himself. Your new charges come from diverse backgrounds, and know differing amounts of what you have to teach, but I want you to treat this with utmost importance. Your honour as a knight depends on this. Of course, you could always refuse, nobody would think you the lesser for it..." He added the last part with a wizened smirk.

Jakob shifted uncomfortably as he listened to the headmaster lay down the assignment, but felt his eyes bulge halfway through. He kept his mouth firmly shut until the other finished speaking, and bowed his head somewhat before speaking.

"Mein herr, you would ask me to teach dragons? Surely you know my feelings on such matters? The priests would never stand for one of the Holy Sepulchre to consort with their like." Jakob hesitated, his eyes flicking upwards to meet the older man's gaze before darting back down. "Permission to speak freely, Mein herr?"

"You always have that permission, Ser Knight." Torath said, raising an eyebrow. He wondered what scripture he'd quote at the 'holiest man on campus'.

"I personally hold a slight amount of distaste for the dragons, Mein herr. Why would you place me in charge? I appreciate your faith in my abilities...." Jakob sighed, loosening his posture and meeting Torath's gaze. "I... I fear being barred from the temple, Mein herr. I would do my best for those you place in my charge, but I swore an oath to the clergy."

"And is that oath more important to you than the continued existence of two races?" Torath smiled. The priests in the temple weren't the only ones that could bend scripture to their goals. "Sacrifice is the only theme that remains constant through the myths of Gallace. The Original Three, after all, hated one another with passion. But sacrificed their own prejudices to create the realm we know of today. They sacrificed everything they had to bring peace to this land. Are you telling me you don't want your tales sung from the tallest rooftops in the realm?"

"You must know by now, sir, I have no lust for such glory. The temple teaches against their very existence. If it were to come to blows, I would fight for the clergy regardless of right or wrong. I admit, I have become disillusioned to the idea of them as devils, but I will never break an oath. If you give them to me as charges, and war breaks out, I will do as the priests require. Such is my fate."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back