Chiaroscuro - It's not just a mouthful, it's a lifestyle!

Persell

Ten Thousand Club
Hello, all. I broached the suggestion that I might run a game based in the South and, after some mulling over of facts and what I wanted to do with the game (not to mention working out some of the plot specifics) I'm open to expressions of interest, if anyone wants to play.

Here's some premise, and also what I'm looking for:

CHARACTERS

It's a Solar game for now. When I'm more familiar with Lunars I may well open up some slots for them, but right now it's primarily Solar based. I'd also like a 'perfect Circle' so I'll only be taking one of each caste. Again, once the game is running and the primary players have settled in I'd be happy to open the game up to newcomers.

Character generation will be standard out-of-the-book. Extra BPs will be available a-la-Cyl (3 for background, 3 for pic, 3 for fic, for a total of 9 extra available BPs). Merits and Flaws are allowable (although I reserve the right to veto any I don't think will be condusive to the game).

The only sticking point is that I'd ask each Solar to take at least one point (three points maximum, please) in the Manse background. I plan for the game to be based in Chiaroscuro (please see the 'Premise' blurb, below) and I figure on Manses playing a more tangible part than in some games. I have a number of books that go into Manse design and construction and would be only too happy for you to design your manse. The 'Hidden Manse' merit is certainly available and you're welcome to buy it. I have some specific ideas as to where they may be located in the area, and will be happy to work with you in regards to placement.

In terms of origins, you can come from where ever you like (although foreigners will of course need to know the language). If you aren't native to Chiaroscuro, or at least the South, then you've come for any number of reasons. But it was just important that you came. After you Exalted the notion that Chiaroscuro was somewhere you needed to be stuck in your mind like an itch that wouldn't go away. It just felt really necessary that you be there. Why? That didn't come so quickly. Just the idea that you needed to be there. Call it instinct, the Unconquered Sun giving you a nudge in the direction he wanted you to work, intuition, doesn't matter. It just felt like the right thing to do. For locals, the same vibe makes staying in town feel very important indeed. Other Southerners have travelled from The Lap or Gem for the same reason. Once you arrive, the vibe lets go and doesn't bother you again. Like, from the very moment you sight the city.

There's a reason. Honest 8)

PREMISE

This is going to be something of a 'world building game', all things being well. In that, hopefully, you'll want to stay in the area and create your base of operations there.

There are a number of factions prevalent in the city, each wanting to control such a valuable and prosperous city. Some of them (the Dalzahn nobility, the Dragon Bloods, the Guild) will be fairly obvious. Some not so much so. Into it drops you. Another faction. There's no pressure for you to decide 'Yeah! Let's totally take this place over, yo!' (Is 'Yo' an Exalted word? I don't think it is!), there's plottage that doesn't have anything to do with you wanting to own the place, but it's going to be your base of operations (one hopes) and if you want to start making changes 'for the better' (or 'Because we can!') you'll be welcome to. Interaction with the city, and the people in it, will be more than possible.

That's about it, intro-wise. Am happy to answer questions. If there's any interest I'll organise a game-thread.

I'm interested and I don't know the south much :)

Various concepts in mind, will refine them a bit.

I am so in this, if you'll have me. How does the idea of a sorceress raised in the same cult as Harmonious Jade sound? I'm thinking she'll become a Twilight.

Oooh... Been wanting to play in the South.

I've had this character concept sitting around for a while, so I'll see what you think:

A tribal god that lives on a plateau and is revered for his protection and connection to the sun (in fact he's a servant of Sol Invictus) has a son with a local girl. When the boy is old enough he is taken by his father to be taught about Heaven and the Celestial Exalted and prepared to be his father's God-Blooded factor in the world. He is sent at the age of 12 to a secluded monastery to awaken his Essence and learn Golden Janissary Style. But in a moment of pitched battle, perhaps under attack by a rowdy demon cult (like the one that raised Harmonious Jade?) he Exalts as a Dawn-Caste. After that he quickly makes it clear that his sifus cannot teach him anything that he could not learn on his own, so he sets off into the world to do the Sun's work and perhaps teach others the Art of the Righteously Burning Defender. And there's this strange, nagging desire to see Chiaroscuro...

Originally the concept was for a God-Blooded Golden Janissary stylist, but he was from the South already so it'd be easy enough to make him a Dawn Caste instead. Thoughts? Do you think he'd fit in anywhere?

I would be interested. I have an idea for either a Night Caste or Eclipse if either slot is open.

I have this idea of a Scavenger Lord, Lara Croft-like: beautiful girl, ressourceful athletic and adventurous. Exploring the ruins of the south looking for her lost father... and exalting in the tomb of a previous incarnation, one of the few her father was actively looking for, finding part of her old possessions.

Of course, she had a little martial training and is packing :)

Are we going to have to deal with the Elder Lunar who runs the Delzahn? That sounds like a rather sticky point.

Also, I can't tell what you're awarding BP for, so please explain it.

(3 for background, 3 for pic, 3 for fic, for a total of 9 extra available BPs)
That. Meaning, you get 3bp for posting your character background, 3 for any picture you can find that might resemble your character, your character's concept, etc., in any way, and 3 for posting a fanfic about your character.

I thought that was pretty clear too... And Haku made the system (hail to him !), not me.

It seemed like a good incentive to get people more involved with their PCs.... ^_^ ;

It's a great system, but bonus Freebies are a little... uber, don't you think? I feel like XP would work better.

Braydz said:
Oooh... Been wanting to play in the South.
I've had this character concept sitting around for a while, so I'll see what you think:

A tribal god that lives on a plateau and is revered for his protection and connection to the sun (in fact he's a servant of Sol Invictus) has a son with a local girl. When the boy is old enough he is taken by his father to be taught about Heaven and the Celestial Exalted and prepared to be his father's God-Blooded factor in the world. He is sent at the age of 12 to a secluded monastery to awaken his Essence and learn Golden Janissary Style. But in a moment of pitched battle, perhaps under attack by a rowdy demon cult (like the one that raised Harmonious Jade?) he Exalts as a Dawn-Caste. After that he quickly makes it clear that his sifus cannot teach him anything that he could not learn on his own, so he sets off into the world to do the Sun's work and perhaps teach others the Art of the Righteously Burning Defender. And there's this strange, nagging desire to see Chiaroscuro...

Originally the concept was for a God-Blooded Golden Janissary stylist, but he was from the South already so it'd be easy enough to make him a Dawn Caste instead. Thoughts? Do you think he'd fit in anywhere?
Best. Idea. Ever!

My Twilight could Exalt in the same battle (I tend to make MA/Sorcery Combos whenever possible) and they could have to work together. :twisted:

TherealBrickwall said:
Are we going to have to deal with the Elder Lunar who runs the Delzahn? That sounds like a rather sticky point.
Also, I can't tell what you're awarding BP for, so please explain it.
I may or may not utilise the Lunar running the Delzahn, depending on how uppity you crazy kids get. I'm not above messing up (or just not using) the metaplot's backgrounds. :)

As for how you get the extra BPs, pretty much fhgwdads05 summed it up nicely. As for the freebies, I don't mind rewarding players for a little extra work with a stronger start rather than XP. In essence (no pun intended) it makes no big difference whether it's one or the other so long as everyone gets the chance to have the same thing. I rather enjoyed the chance to throw a few extra Charms into my Night caste's list in Cyl's game. I can't imagine that anyone else wouldn't like to do the same :)

Braydz: The Dawn slot is yours. :)

Morninglight: Twilight slot is yours. Given that you were training for a different route than Jade (I'm guessing your training was more magical and spiritual than assassin oriented) you likely never met or knew her but you can't help but have heard of the 'Sun traitor'.

Chaka and Millershipper: The Eclipse slot is up to you. If Miller's happy to cede the slot for the Night caste spot then it looks like everyone can win. If not then I'm sure we can work out another way.

Cyl: I love Lara Croft, man. Any chance you'd be willing to take on a Zenith? I can see how easily that'd suit really nicely, although I don't want to force it on you. By all means negotiate with one of the others if you wanted another caste.

Well I can do a Zenith, with the same basic concept and a few mods, a twilight fitted more because of the investigation-lore-occult thing) but hey, that's why favored abilities are for !

Or I can do an entire different concept... I have something in mind, like a former bandit king, turned conqueror when he recieved his exaltation upon his failed capture for enslavement by the Guild.

I'm already playing a night in Sherwood's lunar game, so I'd like to do something different this time.

I have to work today (damn family business), but I'll PM you (talisman) something soon, different concepts for a Zenith, so you can pick the one you like best.

Nevermind. I missed that he had given Eclipse/Night to two people.

Well, I have two finished basic characters if either of them don't want in. Let me know.

Just an update:

Millershippper's taken the Night caste slot and conceded the Eclipse spot to Chaka. Yay! :) If for some reason Chaka doesn't want to play any more then you're welcome to throw me an idea, TherealBrickwall. :)

Morninglight: Absolutely. RL has to come first. :)

Cyl: No problem. Looking forward to it :)

Umm... No one wants to fight me for the Dawn spot? What's wrong with Dawn-castes? I like Dawn-castes...

I feel so left out of the fray... Funny considering that I'm playing the Dawn.

Hey Talisman, I've got stat.s drafted pre-bonus freebies. Do you want a PM or should I wait 'til the board's up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back