Authors' message at the end of RotSE book

Arthur

One Thousand Club
Does that imply that nothing else will be made on Exalted Second Edition, and that there won't be a third edition?

I'm glad to see that it really isn't the final end of Exalted, perhaps just a paradigm shift or change pace that applies to release schedules. That works for me, I've always been a big fan of Exalted and White Wolf in general.

I really hope it's not over, but I don't want a 3rd edition honestly. I think what they need to do is take an approach like they did in the late 90s with the OWD, and have supplements on say "Year of (insert direction) and introduce or expand on a metaplot event (or several options of events). This could include new setting materials, adventure ideas, etc. They should also revive the caste/aspect books in a way; my suggestion would be to have a compendium for each type of exalt (which I believe is desperately needed for the non-Solars), with new charms and artifacts as well as tips and further information on each caste/aspect type. They could also follow the example of Pathfinder, with their adventure path series.

I'm not saying 2nd edition is the best thing ever (I think Lunars need some work, both mechanically and background, for example), but repeating more or less the same source books for a third round is only going to alienate the returning customer (and hell, why should a new player wait when she/he can just by an older edition, especially on setting info). I'd only support a third edition if they advanced the metaplot, which also has its risks.

Returning to metaplotting would be doing a 180 for WW Makwa. By the end, I think WW felt all the metaplotting had gotten pretty munchkin (and it actually had to a large degree) and they moved away from that with NWOD, to the unreasonable extreme in my mind. One of the huge turn offs for me was how they very poorly set up a world where there was no cross city organizations for vampires, yet the same five factions existed. Their explanations were poor, especially in light of the fact of modern transportation. *shrug*

That said, I have no idea what WW has in store. To be fair, they did improve Lunars from 1st Edition, but honestly I don't think we should have to buy more hard covers to get that. IF they did it though, what they should at least do is look at the scale of various charms between solars and others, particularly DBs, and start the core book with Solar charms that reflects a good consideration of that scale. Something the dismally failed to do with 2d ed, IMHO.

I remember when 2e first came out how big a power jump it felt like they gave solars. And they really did make solars a lot better. Then everyone got some of the love (except sidereals, but who bothers to remember them, right?). So now it just feels like power creep to me. Frankly my biggest complaint is they have too many charms. It's not really necessary, in my opinion, and makes a player (especially a very new player) feel overwhelmed that there's so much to go through at character creation. In my mind the heart of any new edition would have to be a reworking of the charm mechanics.

Yakumo said:
Returning to metaplotting would be doing a 180 for WW Makwa. By the end, I think WW felt all the metaplotting had gotten pretty munchkin (and it actually had to a large degree) and they moved away from that with NWOD, to the unreasonable extreme in my mind. One of the huge turn offs for me was how they very poorly set up a world where there was no cross city organizations for vampires, yet the same five factions existed. Their explanations were poor, especially in light of the fact of modern transportation. *shrug*
That said, I have no idea what WW has in store. To be fair, they did improve Lunars from 1st Edition, but honestly I don't think we should have to buy more hard covers to get that. IF they did it though, what they should at least do is look at the scale of various charms between solars and others, particularly DBs, and start the core book with Solar charms that reflects a good consideration of that scale. Something the dismally failed to do with 2d ed, IMHO.
The only reason I suggested an advancing the metaplot, would be to differentiate 1e/2e from a 3e, and give a reason to buy it. Their is only so long you can keep a setting as they had it set up, which amounts to "on the verge of change". They don't even have to make major changes, just move things along a little, jump a year or two in the future from the starting date. IDk.

As for WoD 2.0, I was overall disappointed too. The only one I liked was Changeling. Vampire felt to much like a stripped down VtM without all the history and mythos to draw from, and Werewolf just felt generic and lacking. I never read Mage, but from what a friend told me, I'm not missing much. I've heard though the new WoD was suppose to me more Online game friendly then the OWoD.

Makwa said:
Werewolf just felt generic and lacking. I never read Mage, but from what a friend told me, I'm not missing much. I've heard though the new WoD was suppose to me more Online game friendly then the OWoD.
Sadly everything from D&D 4th edition to the latest version of Shadowrun seems to be made with an eye to eventual online adaption so WoD is not alone there. It is sad because it makes a lot of tabletop stuff very bland and generic.

LaFreeze said:
Sadly everything from D&D 4th edition to the latest version of Shadowrun seems to be made with an eye to eventual online adaption so WoD is not alone there. It is sad because it makes a lot of tabletop stuff very bland and generic.
I agree. I really don't know why, you can't imitate playing a video game with a table top game. What they really need is to play to the strengths of table top rpgs, such as imagination, more nuanced settings and such. If I want to play WoW, I'll play WoW, not imagine it in my head, lol.

Other then Pathfinder, Cthulhutech is the only living game that appeals to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back