Literature Are there any book recommendations out there?

JJuicci

⋆*ೃ:.✧The Juice Crew⋆*ೃ:.✧
I really want to boost my writing and roleplaying skills. My only chance is either reading a book, or watching someone of higher stature to roleplay with me, (like a user-sepai!) Anyways, I'm not much of a reader and I need your assistance with the world of literature. Any ounce of help will do nicely! Thank you for listening, fellow roleplayers.

Depends on what you're wanting to learn... 
There's some good books from different genres. Like HP Lovecraft can teach you horror and description, Hemmingway can teach you how to convey much with very little, and so on and such...

Hm, let's see.

I need help with more creative dialogue and new ways of interacting with characters.

Maybe just inspiration. A spark.

Anything will do. As long as it keeps my gears turning! I also like puzzling and fast books. Any more suggestions?

Thanks for helping.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Terse little stories bundled into a big collection, fueled mostly by prose and dialogue. Good if you like cognitively participating in a story.

Terry Pratchett's Discworld books have glittering dialogue, if you want to learn more about dialogue.

Haruki Murakami uses a lot of strange, often tense or troubled non-verbal interactions, or conversation that dance around an issue instead of addressing it.

Oh, Iain M. Banks is also good for dialogue and elegant expressions of big ideas.

Read the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness.

Otherwise known as the Wolf Brother series. I loved it, and there are a total of 6(?) books.

For character development and excellent dialogue, I highly recommend either (or both) Sharon Lee & Steve Miller's Liaden universe, or Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan universe..

Omg! Absolutely anything by Ellen Hopkins! I love her to death! And swear by her books!! I read the Crank trilogy in three days!! And am on Burned which is taking me longer as it is (supposed to be) exam time at school xD

I loved the His Dark Materials series by Phillip Pullman, which includes the very popular Golden Compass book. I adored the character development in this particular series and thought it had some of the best examples of character change and growth I have ever read. For example, one of the main character's loses a finger. It is a small thing, yet is a change most writers won't commit to in their protagonist. Lose a limb and read this series. It builds character.

Although there are many lovely suggestions here! I've read many of those that have already been suggested and I can honestly say I don't disagree with any of them. You'll have quite the reading list.

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.

It's one of those cyberpunk novels that kind of, sort of tried to predict what the future (specifically the internet) would be like, except that it tried deliberately to be as kitschy as possible.

The first chapter deals with Hiro Protagonist (you read correctly; that is HIS NAME) losing his job as a delivery driver, a job for which he had to study at pizza delivery college and carries a katana.

Like, I'm scraping the surface of how effing insane the world of this book is, and the prose is some of the funniest, tongue-in-cheek stuff you will ever read.

I highly recommend The Book Thief. It's a story about a young German girl during the Holocaust, and the writing style is very unique. Personally, I was very inspired. Wicked is a prequel of sorts to The Wizard of Oz, focusing on the Wicked Witch of the West and her past. That book is one of my personal favorites.

I hope you find the perfect book for you. <3

I'm going to recommend the Bloody Jack Series- not for the dialogue, but if you want to learn to express emotions, what better place to learn it from than a cross-dressing promiscuous child sailor who slowly gets into worse and worse situations because she has no self-control and absolutely no luck?

OH! The best for dialogue would be Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neal Gaiman. That book made my life.

If you like fantasy and fairy tales, I recommend The Land of Stories by Chris Colfer. It is a trilogy, and it tells about twins whose grandmother is no other than Cinderella's Fairy Godmother. They'll get into adventures in the 'other world' and they'll meet fairy tales characters. So it's like a twisted fairy tale. :D

[QUOTE="Mirror Mauve]Hm, let's see.
I need help with more creative dialogue and new ways of interacting with characters.

Maybe just inspiration. A spark.

Anything will do. As long as it keeps my gears turning! I also like puzzling and fast books. Any more suggestions?

Thanks for helping.

[/QUOTE]
I actually just finished reading the City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett

If you like:

Fantasy

The Nature of Godhood

Mystery

Twists

Competent Characters

Strong Female Leads

Then take a look. I heard multiple recommendations for it before I decided to pick it up, no regrets. It is a standalone as well, so its not to large of a time commitment. I feel as if it is becoming harder to find authors who can capture a story well in one book.

Also, if you have trouble finishing books or getting into them, might I suggest audiobooks? I was originally sceptical, then I tried it. Now, you have to be careful because a bad reader can ruin a book, but a great one can make the characters sing! I have always loved having a book in my hands, but I have to drive a lot for work. I began listening to audiobooks and a new world was revealed to me. A good audiobook on the ipod can make the most menial tasks fun excuses to read good books. I would suggest trying this with the aformentioned City of Stairs. The reader on that book is great.

[QUOTE="Mirror Mauve]I really want to boost my writing and roleplaying skills. My only chance is either reading a book, or watching someone of higher stature to roleplay with me, (like a user-sepai!) Anyways, I'm not much of a reader and I need your assistance with the world of literature. Any ounce of help will do nicely! Thank you for listening, fellow roleplayers.

[/QUOTE]
tronethiel7 said:
I actually just finished reading the City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett
If you like:

Fantasy

The Nature of Godhood

Mystery

Twists

Competent Characters

Strong Female Leads

Then take a look. I heard multiple recommendations for it before I decided to pick it up, no regrets. It is a standalone as well, so its not to large of a time commitment. I feel as if it is becoming harder to find authors who can capture a story well in one book.

Also, if you have trouble finishing books or getting into them, might I suggest audiobooks? I was originally sceptical, then I tried it. Now, you have to be careful because a bad reader can ruin a book, but a great one can make the characters sing! I have always loved having a book in my hands, but I have to drive a lot for work and I usually am listening to something. I began listening to audiobooks and a new world was revealed to me. A good audiobook on the ipod can make the most menial tasks fun excuses to read good books. I would suggest trying this with the aformentioned City of Stairs. The reader on that book is great.

Fantasy

The Demon Cycle (Series)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3428935-the-warded-man

The Warded Man #1

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3428935-the-warded-man

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6736971-the-desert-spearThe Desert Spear #2

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6736971-the-desert-spear

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9268487-the-daylight-warThe Daylight War #3

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9268487-the-daylight-war

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13630171-the-skull-throneThe Skull Throne #4

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13630171-the-skull-throne (This was released just this tuesday, I can't wait to read it. I'm making myself reread the old books, since I've been following from the beginning I read the first book a few years ago (>

:D ) )

Realistic Fiction (Crime, family life, Asperger)

House Rules

Funny both of these are extremely different, but similar in writing style. Different chapters switch to different characters.

I can't think of any other books right now, sorry.

Any Diana Wynne Jones books. Her books are easy to read, great imagination and originality. I would start with either the first two Chronicles of Chrestomanci or Howls Moving Castle(yeah the anime is loosely based on this book, they are very different)

I don't know if there's an english version yet, but El hombre en busca del sentido

is a WWII related book from one of the survivors from the auchwitz camps, I haven't

finished it yet because the things the man narrates in that thing are traumatizing.

Also Lovecraft's In the mountains of Madness. Wonderful book, nightmare fuel forever.

I only know YA genre books. And the few that I can name from the top of my head:

I Am Not A Serial Killer series by Dan Wells

I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga

The Fifth Wave by Ricky Yancy

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard (it's like Avatar the Last Airbender, the Hunger Games, Game of Thrones, and XMEN wrapped into one - I SWEAR BY GOD YESSS)

Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger

Daughter of Smoke and Bone series

And although I haven't read these books the reviews are something that I trust and I'm kind of anxious to find them myself:

Angelfall series by Susan Ee

Red Rising series

Fans of David Weber's Honor Harrington series: Just this week, I discovered there's a YA-section spinoff series centered on Stephanie Harrington, by David Weber and Jane Lindskold. I haven't yet finished the third one, but so far so great!

I could recommend over a hundred different books.. I'm going to suggest the Game of Thrones books. I've read them all and George R. R. Martin's writing can be a little hard and tedious to read at times, it boosted my writing skills significantly and the story is so good.

If that's not really what you're looking for, you should definitely try Solitary by Travis Thrasher. I didn't give the book much hope when I first began reading it, but after a few chapters, I sped through all four books in the series and was amazed by the story. It's well written and very interesting.

I'm gonna have to go with Aemilia. A Song of Ice and Fire is definitely worth the read, at least A Game of Thrones is. I've only just started A Clash of Kings, but so far it seems pretty good. Other books I would recommend would be To Kill a Mockingbird and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Both are fairly easy reads in my opinion, but they're also unmistakable classics and well worth it.

Ohh for book recommendations I absolutely love all of Khaled Hosseini's works!They're all beautiful stories with amazing plots, and he has a certain style of writing that just touches the heart. The Kite Runner is a classic, A Thousand Splendid Suns is just tragic, and And the Mountains Echoed is definitely worth the time it takes to read and digest, as the symbolism he puts into things as well as the way he's written is inspirational.

As well, I've just started All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven, and I'm really liking it so far. <33 A House in the Sky by Amanda Lindhout is another book I absolutely adored.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back