Anime that best represent Exalted.

Kindle

After reading the Warstrider picture thread, I was thinking about what anime shows are best at giving new comers to Exalted, the best idea of what Exalted is all about.

Here are my choices and a brief explanation why.

Inuyasha: Huge Diaklaves, a world that is very similar in terms of representing Demons, ghosts and spirits and how they interact with mortals. The world has very little magitec though.

Samurai Seven: Has huge Warstrider style battle suites. Also, the political climate, as well as the magitec, very closely resemble the Exalted world. Plus, the samurai seem very exalted compared to the average mortal.

and last, but certainly not last...

Bleach: Diaklaves, Soul Reapers, the Soul Society, along with a lot of kick-ass Exalted style action...need I say more. :twisted:

If anyone else has any Anime that they feel represents Exalted, please feel free to chime in. I'm curious about what other anime are out there that I might be missing out on.

12 Kingdoms, aka Juuni Kokki: the closest universe to exalted I've ever seen. Gods, celestial bureaucracy, blessed rulers, spirits, beastmen... A very good anime to work on.

Let's not forget LIVE ACTION!

Tsui Hark's Seven Swords and his HK TV series The Seven Swordsmen. Exalted action for your ass. Tons of it. Scads of it even. And it's based on the Chinese Wuxia writer, Lian Yusheng. If you get a chance to check out his work: do. It's the basis for a great deal of Wuxia literature and he might as well be the Chinese JRR Tolkien.

More great Wuxia info can be found at Wuxiaworld.

There's also Barry Hughart's amazing Master Li series. He lives in Tuscon, Arizona, and I am for damn sure going to contact him when I get out there, because the man is a fucking god.

Fung wan: Hung ba tin ha --aka Storm Riders with Sonny Chiba. Much Exalted action for your ass.

300--If you can't get your Exalt on with that movie, you ain't trying.

I know, it's not anime, but there are so damn many great resources out there it seems like a shame to limit yourself to just anime--especially when there is so much Wuxia, kung fu, and chambara flicks to call on as well.

I always think that the bathhouse from Spirited Away could easily be a place in Yu-Shan.

Hey, damn me, forgot Miyasaki's Princess Mononoke & Chihiro for spirits & gods.

I haven't heard of 12 Kingdoms, so I'll have to check it out.

I actually just received Seven Swords from Netflix and plan on watching it tonight. :D

I had forgotten about Storm Riders. I have the uncut version (so much better than the bastardized US version) and its a great example of Exalted!

I also forgot about Spirited Away. While I don't think it was Miyazaki's best work, the bathhouse is a great example of a place in Yu-Shan! Princess Mononoke (or Mononoke Hime) is also a pretty good example of Exalted.

Keep them coming! :)

If you've got NetFlix, put the HK series in your queue as well. For one thing, Seven Swordsmen is a continuation of the saga that Bride With the White Hair is a part of--and Ronnie Yu's film version is nice. The sequel, Bai fa mo nu zhuan II not so great, but Seven Swordsmen is a loooooong series, and you get to see what the Bride, Lian Ninchang--who would be a fair Lunar with some imagination, raised by wolves and all, and her very funky white hair-fu--did after her lover betrayed her.

The series is HUGE. We're talking 8 discs--but you are getting a ton of inspiration, a huge storyline, and some great action. Critics hated it, and Tsui wasn't entirely happy with the series--in part, because it is a TV series, so the budget just wasn't entirely there, but for what you're getting, it's a great look at a classic of Chinese literature.

Seven Swords you will quickly realize is massively chopped down and altered to fit into such a short time. Just threw vast amounts of story out entirely. The IMDB page doesn't do the series justice either--largely incomplete, and with odd translations for names. The translation of the series is pretty fair too.

I haven't heard of 12 Kingdoms, so I'll have to check it out
45 episodes of pure happiness.... you just have to hold til the 8th episodes to have the full dimension of the serie...

Utawarerumono has a medieval feeling, gods of the forest and greater gods, warriors wielding daiklaves, knights ridings dinossaurs, huge warstriders, winged people who can use sorcery and epic mass combats.

The Knights of Rayearth has warstriders, sorcerers and mystic warriors.

The Vision of Escaflowne has the best warstriders ever.

Bubblegum Crisis is good for them, too.

Castle in the Sky has some great scenery.  The flying castle is a Manse of great power, and the necklace that links to it is a part of the Hearthstone.

Avatar: The Last Airbender has so much Exalted feel.  Just replace the various elemental benders with the corrosponding Terrestrial Exalt and you are ready to go.

So, I've watched Seven Swords. It starts out slow, but really picked up. By the end, I definitely saw some Exalted in it! Cool movie, I'll have to pass it on to my friends.

I've also managed to watch 3 episodes of 12 Kingdoms (I called a couple of my friends who collect everything anime and one of them happened to have the series! :lol: ). I'm still a bit confused because they've explained very little so far. However, the fact that they have what looks like the Zenith cast symbol is just awesome! The world and the creatures (demons, spirits, monsters?) so far are very Exalted...This is definitely a show that I'm going to watch and pass on to our newly joined Exalted players! :D

I LOVE Avatar! I can't believe I forgot to list it. For a kids show, it's well written, quite funny, and a near perfect example of the Dragon-Blooded. I used to host a movie night at my house and a friend would bring over Avatar, so that my oldest son could watch something with us before his bedtime...at least that's the excuse we used to actually watch the show ourselves. :wink:

I'm loving this stuff! Our new players (and everyone else in the group for that matter) is going to have plenty of inspiration for their future characters and campaigns. 8) If anyone has anymore suggestions, post away!

dammit! I waited forever for my post to be submitted, and nothing happened, so I stupidly hit the submit button again! :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

While the usual Watanabe themes of being poor, hungry and kind of clueless don't necessarily fit Exalted, let's not neglect Samurai Champloo for insane swordplay, mad villains and constant demonstrations of why you have to buy at least one Ox-Body.

Yeah, Kenshin, Escaflowne, Chronicles of Lodoss... there are hundreds of anime that can represent exalted.

For paper manga, the best I've ever seen is Shin Angyo Onshi.

If you are talking Ox-Body technique, look no farther than Spike Siegel from Cowboy Beebop.  That guy gets his ass kicked harder than a black man at a KKK rally and gets up for more.

(The comparason was in no way ment to offend anyone.  If it did, just remember that it was a joke and in no way was ment to endorse people beating up on their fellow man - unless he REALLY deserves it.)

Not anime, but I'm going to go on a limb here and mention both "Princess Bride", "Secondhand Lions" and "Pirates of the caribbean"

Not anime' date=' but I'm going to go on a limb here and mention both "Princess Bride", "Secondhand Lions" and "Pirates of the caribbean"[/quote']
Oddly enough, a friend and I spontaneously started raving a each other about writing a PotC style Scion game after we last watched At World's End, but then she moved out of our house and we never really got back to it. Ah well.

I agree with Samurai Champloo for Ox-body and kick-ass sword play, as well as Cowboy Beebop for Ox-body.

I'm heading to Japan for a short while in a few weeks, so I'll have to check out Shin Angyo Onshi while I'm there. Hokuto No Ken (or Fist of the North star) is another decent example of Exalted, at least the Manga, I didn't like the movies, or show nearly as much.

I'm having a hard time seeing Princess Bride as very Exalted and I haven't seen Secondhand Lions, but I agree totally with Pirates of the Caribbean![/i]

Kindle said:
I agree with Samurai Champloo for Ox-body and kick-ass sword play, as well as Cowboy Beebop for Ox-body.
I'm heading to Japan for a short while in a few weeks, so I'll have to check out Shin Angyo Onshi while I'm there. Hokuto No Ken (or Fist of the North star) is another decent example of Exalted, at least the Manga, I didn't like the movies, or show nearly as much.

I'm having a hard time seeing Princess Bride as very Exalted and I haven't seen Secondhand Lions, but I agree totally with Pirates of the Caribbean![/i]
Secondhand Lions is quite similar to Princess Bride. Now... It is certainly not Exalted in power-level, but it's full of awesomeness, all class of stunts and (especially Princess Bride) some amazing Social Combat scenes.

Secondhand Lions is quite similar to Princess Bride. Now... It is certainly not Exalted in power-level' date=' but it's full of awesomeness, all class of stunts and (especially Princess Bride) some amazing Social Combat scenes.[/quote']
Good point! I never considered the social combat that goes on in Princess Bride, but you are 100% correct. I would have to make sure that my friend was aware of this before I mentioned it as an example of Exalted, but I do agree...and if Secondhand Lions is half as awesome as the Princess Bride, I'm going to have to put it at the top of my Netfix Queue.

prolly gonna get it in the nec for this...

the original language naruto is pretty good, have yet to read the manga though.

moving out of anime, Ong Bak is a must see for any martial arts fans and has some nice stunting fodder.

curse of the golden flowers purely for the one scene near the end where emperor chow yun fat pimp slaps his son into submission then takes his belt to him (and all the social combat and intrigue going on I supose)

Hmmmm, if we are pulling live action movies into this, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is a good Exalted film.  So is Hero.  In both films the fighters are doing some serious Exalt-fu.

Fearless is more realistic, but it is good to refer to.  Perhaps a god-blooded game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back