Abyssal Redemption Plan B: Eternal Exalted?

also The Chronicles of Riddick had better examples of abyssals. it had the necromongers, the generals of the necromongers were VERY abyssal. also the anti-hero generally goes against the norm, and is acting outside the law. abyssals follow orders, they work within the boundries laid forth by their death lord masters. if you are playing an Anti-hero abyssal you would be very much seeking redemption, and working contrary to the orders given to you.

Actually, I don't see it at all in the way of seeking redemption.  The anti hero achieves his goals in a fashion that may not be considered 'normal' for a hero.  Sure redemption may very well be a motivation of his, but in no way would it be a necessary one.  Deathlords have their goals and plans, and if their tasks bring an abyssal into working with a group of more traditional 'heroes', then the ends justify the means.  Further, an Abyssal need only achieve his task, whatever that may be.  If such a task becomes 'kill said group', or directly goes against many of the other characters in the story, then that's when things get ugly.  For example, a Deathlord may task an Abyssal to eliminate a problematic sorceror.  That same sorceror could be a powerful (and insane) individual who's aim is to free the Yozis from their prison.  The group of traditional heroes that the Abyssal comes across by chance (Lunars, Solars, etc.), may be actively trying to stop this event from happening.  And just because the Malfeans were once Primordials, doesn't mean that they're on the best of terms with the Yozis.  So there is the whole 'Enemy of my Enemy...  isn't my enemy right now.' route.  Works especially well if Sidereals and Dragon Blooded are the antagonists.

Also, the task set forth may be something a bit more sinister such as leading to the eventual downfall and corruption of said group.  But the Abyssal may refrain from the villain role, and attempt to build 'trust' in the group through a series of 'good' deeds that may be very unconventional.  'I.E.  A small town is suffering from the remnants of the Great Contagion.  While the group strives to find a way to help them, the Abyssal kills them all quickly and painlessly to ease their suffering as "No cure will be found".'  Such an underhanded style of play would come natural to a Day Caste, and is indeed one of the reasons I tend to enjoy playing them the most (provided that the ST is able to handle these kinds of characters).  In the example with the village, the more traditional heroes may very well dislike the outcome...  But they would have to come to the sad realization that their attempts to save the village would inevitably meet in failure.

And yes, the Necromongers were a damn good example of Abyssals.  And so are such characters as Hellsing's Alucard.  On a final note, however, many Aybssals tend to mimic the style of their deathlords.   A deathlord like FaFL will undoubtedly favor more direct Abyssals, such as Dusk caste generals.  And they will more than likely take his same approach of "Kill first, kill some more, maybe ask a question later."  Other Deathlords tend to prefer more underhanded methods, such as the Lover or Mask of Winters.  Their goals and plans often tend to be much more complex, and such examples as the Necromongers may not fit the Abyssals they have.  And of course, there's the Emo-Byssals, like Prince of Shadows, who are a blasphemy and little more than dull, transparent attempt of a character.

If you want to see some pretty cool Abyssal-like characters, check out Seven Swords. Donnie Yen, cool Abyssals and some pretty good sword fights make the movie well worth seeing.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back