Poetry screaming into the void until it screams back

UndeadTyrant

just a pile of bones
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
A collection of poetry I've written, as the inspiration to write and/or share strikes me.
Themes include: healing from trauma, religion, relationships, fear, revolution, and hope.
Reader discretion advised for some poetry.

"Wicked"

God, there's something wicked inside of me.

It writhes like a snake
and waits in silent zeal
for any lost soul
to step on its rattle.

I've tried church and therapy
and confiding in friends,
but it stays, it stays, it stays.
Where will I go?

The decadence of my
very own self-destruction
quiets it just long enough
to convince me I've held it at bay.

But now the serpent speaks back
and tempts me with gifts
none have provided before.
It is permission to simply be.

PERSONAL NOTES
This poem is about addiction. Speaking more specifically about what it means to me, however: my conflict with my anger, despite how rightful my anger was to exist. Healing from trauma is not easy, and sometimes you just have to accept that you're pissed about it instead of trying to rid yourself of the "wicked" emotions associated with what happened to you. The more you try to deny yourself your rage, or your despair, or your grief - the more it becomes a forbidden fruit. The more addictive it becomes. The more you crave it for cathartic release. And the more that happens, the more likely you are to take it out on others. It's not only harmful to the people around you: it's also not how we heal from trauma. At least, that's not how I've been healing from it. In my experience, it's so much easier (and healthier) to not associate "good" or "bad" with emotions, and to simply let them be as they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back