• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Even Dragons Have Their Ending ||Closed||

OOC
Here
Kaida dipped her head in acknowledgment of Bram's thanks, her eyes straying to Agni as he spluttered.

-”He has quite a temper, doesn't he?” she observed, speaking to no one in particular.

Teddy nodded seriously, and took pains to drop the rabbit meat into the stew gently, handful by careful handful, so that the liquid wouldn't splash out. At Kaida's comment, though, she glanced briefly up at Agni, frowning slightly. He reminded her of a spoiled lordling—someone rich and arrogant, who wouldn't even thank others when they did something for them, as if they were entitled to others' time and efforts. Even if he hadn't wanted any of the stew that Bram was making, that didn't mean he had to insult him about it.

It didn't do to rile those sorts of people up, though (especially not when said person could turn into a dragon), so she pressed her lips together and turned her attention back to the stew pot.

Still, she couldn't let it go entirely.

-”...Sharing a meal is special,” she murmured, though she kept her voice low. “It's—cooking for someone else means that you care. It...shouldn't be taken for granted.”-

Then the last of the meat was in the broth, and she got up, picking up her knife and going to wash her hands at the stream. She came back in time to catch the tail end of Ellery's advice, and she looked up at the Familiar as she settled back in by the fire.

-”Yeah, but Alex doesn't usually listen to anybody,” she pointed out, a quiet attempt at reassurance. Not that Ellery had been asking for reassurance, of course, it was just...it still bothered her when Alex ignored her, and she wasn't nearly as wise as Ellery. Even if Alex wasn't going to listen to what she said, Teddy thought he should at least listen to Ellery.

With nothing else to do with her hands, she picked up one of the rabbit pelts again, carefully scraping the pelt clean with the edge of her knife.

~​

Lily didn't answer Margaret's question. She just drew her knees up and hugged them to her chest, gaze falling to the ground and shoulders hunching miserably—and that was answer enough. It was good, she thought distantly, that Margaret understood. This way things wouldn't be drawn out, and she wouldn't have wasted much of their time—

But those thoughts ground to a halt when Margaret continued, low and soft and not turning her away, and Lily went very, very still. Long seconds passed before she lifted her head just enough to peek at Margaret, eyes wide and painfully uncertain. What she saw in the older girl's face must have convinced her that she hadn't misheard, though, because she slowly uncurled. She stared at Margaret a moment longer, as if waiting for her to take back what she had said—but when she didn't, Lily reached tentatively out for one of Margaret's hands, though she stopped before they actually touched, her small hands hovering in the air, obviously waiting.

Last edited:
Bram rolled his eyes and dipped a spare spoon in the stew to taste it. He shrugged at May. “Whatever. ‘Worm’ is a good insult for dragons, regardless. I know from experience.”

Starless has actually set his hair on fire, so in retrospect, calling Agni a worm had probably not been a good idea.

He chuckled at May. “Yeah, well, ‘pest’ is a good word for it. ‘Parasite’ Is better. And anyway, aren’t you a mage, kid? Magic is kinda your thing.” He nodded to the pot. “Tiny bit more oregano, May.”

Bram took a taste and nearly spit it out. Not because it tasted bad, it tasted delicious—hell yeah, he was a good cook. But because of what Ellery had said. “You’re telling me I’m fated to be bou—“ he quickly cut himself off. “To be tangled up in this magic?” He sighed an was silent for a few seconds. “No, I’m not going to ignore you. It’s something to think about, I guess.” He shook his head. “No, you seem pretty wise. Vlad respects you, and he respects like three people—one of whom is himself.”

Bram had seen how the vampire had dipped his head to Ellery. He wasn’t entirely sure what she was—hadn’t she been a cat?—but she was obviously powerful and intelligent. Bram had learned to trust Vlad’s response to people. Even if he was antagonistic towards them, there was a reason for it.

“Yes,” Bram agreed with Teddy. “And it’s nice to have someone else appreciate my care. I’m mean, Vlad appreciates it, but... it’s not the same.” It would be nice to have someone eat his cooking rather than assuring him it smelled good. “Anyway, this will take another half hour to finish.”

Indeed, Starless agreed with Sasha’s analysis of humans. She listened to his explaination and flicked her ears thoughtfully. And you were chosen in this way? she confirmed. Then I trust you. However, I must ask. My cousins... the darkness I sensed in them... what was this? I have seen all manner of darkness. The darkness of humans, the darkness of... other mortal creatures. Darkness from grief, darkness from lust after power. But this... I have never seen this. What darkness has captivated their minds?

Starless knew that this was the act of a demonic force Alex had let loose, but she thought that people had to give the demon some measure of control—surely she couldn’t just take it? She worried there had already been darkness in their hearts. Grief, lust, anger? Could those given the demon easy purchase? She knew her riders’ minds better than even they did, and she worried for them.

Vlad folded himself onto the leaves next to Alex. “I have many questions, I assure you.” He smiled slightly. “But I doubt you will answer them, so I will have to wait and figure out the answers. We have at least a few days together.” Vlad sighed. “But actually I am finding concentrating trying and was looking for a distraction.” He nodded to Bram. “Abraham is in his element with so much attention to his cooking. He is quite good. You should try the stew when it is finished.”

“I am not a /common/ dragon,” Agni spat in his defence, as though lumping him in with the other dragons and their riders was the gravest offense one could deal him. In truth he didn’t dislike other dragons; they were like cousins, in a sense, but he was also an entirely different being. “You lot do not enjoy being lumped in with apes even though you share a common ancestor. It is the same thing.”

May rolled his eyes, and then went back to cooking diligently, though he did stifle a chuckle at Kaida’s observation.

“He’s not usually this bad,” he said as he tasted the soup and then agreed with Bram’s analysis, even though he had no idea what would taste different with more or less oregano. “It’s the first time in his life he’s actually left home, is all, and he’s not used to not being a deity.”

Agni made a disapproving noise from where he was pointedly not listening in on their conversation.

“I am /still/ a deity,” he insisted. Just because he was not worshipped by any of the people here did not mean that he had any less of the responsibilities that he did back home, nor deserve any less of the respect.

Though, maybe he could admit that he was a bit out of his element, and perhaps that was flustering him a bit.

No, it was everyone else who was sensitive, that was all.

May turned his attention back to Bram and hummed, tilting his head to the side.

“Sort of. I call myself a mage because it’s easier, but I’m really one of a kind,” he said proudly. “But still, I’ve never ever not used magic. Being without it is, like, totally foreign to me. I can’t imagine thinking of it like something you want to get rid of.”

Ellery glanced over to where Teddy had settled in, a soft smile lighting her eyes and tugging at her lips. The girl was right, Alex did not listen to anyone. It had been a source of much distress for the Familiar when she had first come into his life, but the years at his side had taught her patience, and to simply be ready for whatever came their way.

“I appreciate that,” Ellery returned her attention to Bram. It was indeed refreshing to not have her words fall on deaf ears. Really, she was in no position to give the Hunter advice. As a being whose very life force was supernatural, who lived solely because of the presence of magic and those who wielded it, however, she appreciated Bram’s acceptance of the possibility of fate. Even if he did not think on it, she felt better having drawn attention to it.

“You say you are one of a kind,” the Familiar directed her attention then to May. “I noticed you using the stones around your wrist, when the Dragon Riders came upon the village. I have seen stones utilized in magics before, and have some experience in the art myself, but there seemed something different about the way you channeled your power. Where are you and your...friend from? If you do not mind my asking.”

~

Sasha sighed, eyes dropping to the ground for a moment before he turned them back on Starless.

I do not know. Humans struggle with darkness as any other creature might, but the darkness that ails them now, it is beyond anything I have ever seen, save in the most terrible of tales. I left their ranks nearly fifteen years ago, before this sickness took their hearts. A new regime came into power five years ago when Melkiell took over, and the ambition and lust for power that ravaged the Mountain then was beyond anything I had ever seen in the Riders. They increased their tithes, were quick to fight when the townsfolk did not deliver, and harbored horrible temperaments. But, their reckless ambitions pale in comparison to the darkness I saw in them In Rhoddhiim. Melkiell is hard-headed and foolish, but he is not evil. I fear someone, or something new is in charge of the Mountain these days.

~

Alex grunted. “I’ll think about it.” It was not promising, but much better than what Ellery had been able to get out of him of late. The witch sighed, propping himself up on his elbows and opening his eyes finally.

“So,” he began, glancing sideways at Vlad. “You know I gotta ask. Vampire and Hunter? How very poetic. And romantic. Let me guess, caught in the middle of two warring families? You both found love in a hopeless place?”

~

Margaret looked down at Lily’s hand, and offered hers in return, sealing their new alliance with a warm and reassuring handshake. Beth watched, and stuck her hand out as well, excitement bubbling up inside her, already forgetting her confusion at the girl’s predicament. Now they were three. Three strong, smart, capable young women who were going to survive this, whatever it was. Beth’s innocent soul could not possibly imagine the horrors that awaited them, but that did not matter. She could conquer anything with her new friends at her side.

“So, now what?”

“We wait,” Margaret decided with a nod. “And watch. The Riders aren’t keeping track of us at all, so slipping away should not be too hard. But we obviously can’t leave without everyone, which is going to be much more difficult. We need to try and find someone who can help us. I refuse to believe all of the Dragon Riders have turned bad.”

Last edited:
Teddy smiled down at her work, looking as quietly pleased as if Bram had been complimenting her, rather than Ellery. Because Ellery was wise—she was the wisest person Teddy knew, and it was nice to hear other people recognize that.

She turned her smile up when Bram spoke to her again, but it changed from pleased to puzzled at his comment about Vlad. If Bram had said that Vlad didn't appreciate his efforts, that she would have easily understood, but that wasn't what he had said. So if Vlad appreciated his efforts, then why wouldn't it be the same...?

“Is Vlad too used to it?” she asked after a moment, looking thoughtful. “So it doesn't seem special anymore?”

Across the fire, Kaida dipped her head to May and made an understanding noise.

“The first journey beyond familiar halls can be a difficult one,” she agreed, though she did not comment on the talk of deities. Her eyes turned briefly to Agni, calm and considering; but when her gaze returned to May, she only continued with a mild, “It grows easier with experience.”-

It was meant for Agni as much as for May, but she thought that the former might bristle if she indicated that she was speaking to him as well, so she directed it only to the little mage. Or not-exactly-a-mage, as the boy said, and Ellery asked about. Kaida glanced at the Familiar, then back to May, quietly curious as to how he would take the question.

~

Margaret had misunderstood what Lily had wanted, it seemed, but the resulting handshake was not unwelcome. Lily returned it with a faint, tentative smile, and clasped Beth's hand willingly as well, when the other girl offered it.

It did leave her at a bit of a loss what to do, though. Would it embarrass them, if she showed them that they had misunderstood? Was it worth maybe embarrassing them, just to tell them her name?

Beth and Margaret started talking before she could decide, and she made herself pay attention, listening carefully. We can't leave without everyone, Margaret said, and Lily's eyes flickered around the cell, taking in the others there with them. And then beyond them, beyond the bars to the other cells, lining the dark hallway and disappearing into the murkiness.

There were so many of them, down here.

We can't leave without everyone, and Lily ducked her head to hide her face against her knees, just for a moment. Of course they couldn't. They couldn't leave anyone behind in this place. It just—it felt impossible, that they would find a way to get everyone out of these cells, away from the Riders, and down the mountain in one piece.

But then, finding the people she was supposed to find felt impossible, too, and yet she would have to. Not finding them simply wasn't an option—her dreams were not to be ignored. She had learned that lesson already.

What was one more impossibility, on top of that?

Someone who can help us.

Lily looked up again at that, staring at Margaret for a long moment before nodding, agreeing with her. She had seen dragons, in her dream, their huge forms barely visible in the darkness beyond the other, humanoid figures. And dragons meant dragon riders, didn't they? Maybe some of them were even here, in the Mountain.

Maybe some of them would help. It was somewhere to start, at least.

And now, again, Lily reached out, actually taking Margaret's hand in hers this time. Not to hold, though—she turned the older girl's hand palm up, and with one finger, she traced letters on Margaret's palm.

L-I-L-Y, a pause, and then again, just in case. Lily glanced shyly up at Margaret, wondering if she had understood, then turned to Beth and took her hand next, repeating the process. They had given her their names, already—it was only polite to give hers in return, wasn't it?

“Not a ‘common’ dragon is still a dragon,” Bram pointed out cheerfully.

He did raise his eyebrows at the deity comment, though. Seriously? Half-pint over there thought he was a god? Yeah, a big-ass dragon-thing for sure, but a deity? Though, Vlad had been muttering to himself about demons earlier, and demons were certainly not a really thing, either.

At least they had better not be a real thing.

Bram chuckled at May’s declaration. He liked the kid. At least someone here wasn’t being either snarky or broody—both of which Vlad was being. He glanced over at his vampire to find him chatting with the witch-kid again, which was probably not good.

Bram tasted the soup again and gave it a firm nod. It should be done soon. “You mage types are all the same. You really can live without magic, you know. Us normal folks do it all the time.”

Had Vlad been privy to the conversation, he would have pointed out that magic was the only reason Bram had lived as long as he had. Luckily for Bram, he was not paying attention.

Bram choked on the broth he was tasting when Teddy questioned him about Vlad’s eating habits. He coughed, mostly to give him time to explain his companion’s all-liquid diet. “Er, well, no, um, it’s just that—he can’t eat some things because he’s… allergic? Yeah, allergic to a lot of things. Makes him hurl. It’s unpleasant.”

It wasn’t entirely a lie, but Bram still felt like it was, and he hated lying.

He cleared his throat. “Anyway, that’s sad, because this rabbit stew is going to be delicious.”

That is… troubling, Starless decided. She flicked her eyes to Bram, then Vlad, before returning them to Sasha. She blinked and dipped her head. Thank you for speaking with me. You have given me much to consider. At least I know we have one such as yourself on this journey with us. She twitched her tail. Though now that I have made a request of you, it is only polite to offer you make one of me.

At least, that was how vampires did it. Bram kept saying humans weren’t quite like that about trading in information, but she had watched Vlad use this to his own advantage enough times to know that it would be polite of her to offer, even if Sasha thought her a little strange for it.

Vlad smiled slightly. “Good. It should keep him from complaining that no one appreciates his cooking for at least a few days if everyone at least tries it.”

The vampire arched his left eyebrow as Alex began. The right soon joined it, then the corner of his mouth quirked up, and Vlad actually laughed. “‘Warring families’? Yes, something like that. He is from one of the most dangerous slayer families in my homeland and I am a Drakonii. But there is no love lost between us. We tolerate each other because killing each other did not work.”

“And you?” he asked before Alex could pry any further. “The son of a powerful witch—if not the powerful witch—traveling with his familiar and a shape-shifter. And what I know of witches I know from books, but correct me if I am wrong when I say possession is not a witch’s normal modus operandi when dealing with demons.”

Agni shot Bram a Look, one that he hoped portrayed his utter aggravation with the other man. He couldn’t argue, though, not without explaining things about their sect that he did not feel comfortable sharing with strangers. They were already being very liberal with their information, and while the high priestess was trying to open up their borders beyond their isolated past, Agni did not want to explain just exactly what he was to a bunch of strangers.

May, however, seemed to have no such inhibitions.

“Oh, we’re from the Domina sect. I mean, technically we’re from Domina island, just off the coast, but everyone on the island pretty much is a part of the sect, so.” He wrinkled his nose in thought. “We don’t really interact much with outsiders, but the high priestess wants our borders to open up a bit more, which is why Agni and I left. And, of course, to investigate the rumours of the dragon riders, to see if they were really as bad as we’d heard, which obviously they are.”

He waited patiently for his soup, not bothering to hide his excitement, but he couldn’t help but laugh when Bram suggested that he could live without magic.

“Maybe /you/ can live without magic,” he said with a little smile. “But not me.”

Sasha’s head dipped as Starless mulled over what he had said. He was not sure what the dragon intended to do with the information, but then again maybe she had just been curious. These were cousins to her, related through some distant tree, and such a sight must not have been an easy one. Not all the dragons were corrupt, nor the Riders, Sasha was sure of it. They were victims of their own weaknesses, and this darkness—whatever it was—had taken full advantage of their shortcomings.

The ex-Rider turned his eyes back on the dragon at her offer. He blinked, not sure if there was anything he wanted in return. He considered it for a moment, and his eyes shifted first to the fire where the larger of the two traveling companions was walking a few of the others through the process of making a stew, then to where the smaller one was conversing with the sickly-looking witch.

Your companions. I want to trust them, but I cannot help to be suspicious. Are their intentions true?

~

Alex’s knowledge of vampires was superficial at best. They had never held much interest for him, as they were of very little use to a witch (save the occasional fang), and his information came from the few grimoires that made note of their presence. He did, however, take an interest in his own survival, and as such decided to make it a point to learn more about his kind.

The witch caught much in the vampire’s few words, making special note of the words ‘did not work’. They had attempted to kill each other, and instead of simply being too evenly matched or failing to kill each other, they found that they were unable to. Alex doubted it was because they befriended one another and dropped their blades of their own free will. If he knew anything about Hunters (and he knew quite a bit, for his own survival of course), they were not ones to give up a fight so easily. Or at all. They were relentless monsters who enjoyed killing and had found a way to twist their hobby into some righteous mission. Alex had no love for their kind, and assumed Vampire Hunters were just as petty as Witch Hunters.

“Oh, no, not really,” he turned his eyes up from his musings, deciding to pick Ellery’s brain later, once she was finished gathering her own set of information on the two wildcards in their group. Vlad had mentioned Drakonii, and he knew the Familiar would be better versed on the topic.

“Witches can’t be possessed, jus’ doesn’t work. Demons are unable to enter their bodies, has to do with the conflicting powers, supernatural being trying to control another supernatural being. Upsets the order of things.”

It certainly was not the entire explanation the Vampire was looking for, though Alex trusted he would guess most from it and go from there, but then what fun was a battle for information if they were both going to just spill their guts from the start?

~

Ellery thought she recognized that name. Maybe she had read it in a book somewhere, or come across someone who knew something, many lives ago. Sometimes it was hard to distinguish between knowledge she had obtained and knowledge passed down from former incarnations. This distant memory was all she had however, and it was hardly anything to go on. She would have to rely on the mage to fill in the rest, though she was not sure if the one called Agni would appreciate the boy giving a full detailed lesson of their people to perfect strangers. It was almost rude to ask.

“And does everyone practice your brand of magic?”

~
Margaret paused when the younger girl took her hand. She blinked, and then looked down to see she was tracing something into her palm. Margaret almost asked what she was doing, when she managed to put the pieces together.

“Lily?” She turned curious eyes on the girl, who was finishing up doing the same in Beth’s hand. So, she did not speak, but she was literate. Literate enough to know her own name’s spelling, at least.

Beth had frowned in her concentration. Sasha had been teaching her her letters since she could speak, but she found some of them still difficult to recognize. She did not use them on a daily basis, only whenever the ex-Rider threw a pop quiz her way. She sounded it out, and was satisfied when she strung the letters into a name.
“Your name’s Lily?” She looked up at the girl with both excitement and unease, prepared to be embarrassed should she have gotten it wrong. “That’s pretty. Like the flower, right? Or, was the flower named after you?” It seemed a plausible circumstance.

~

It was in his dreams that he would remember. They would come in spurts, and last mere seconds. Sometimes he would retain the memory when he woke, most times he would not. Distant memories just out of reach, teasing him. Taunting his former self with the reality of the inevitable.

Melkiell woke with a start, sweat beaded upon his brow and his fist clenched around a sword hilt. Except, when he looked down his hand was empty and he was no longer dressed for war, nor covered in the bright blood of both his friends and his enemies. He caught his breath, eyes searching the dark until they adjusted and he confirmed he was alone in his room. He wiped at his brow, hand trembling as he worked to quiet his mind.

It was the same dream again, over and over, every time. He felt it, the same fear he felt every time he woke from it. And yet, no matter how many times this dream had plagued his sleep, he remembered little of it. He remembered the fear. Nothing but fear. He had told no one of it for there was no one to tell. To confess to it would only bring doubt to his men, which he could not afford. Not when they were so close.

To what, though? Half the time Melkiell could not say what he was working towards, or why he was doing what he was doing. He was driven by a burning passion, a fire within stoked by rage and greed. He was no stranger to these emotions, and had often been driven by them, but these past few months had made them almost blinding. All he saw was his anger, but he did not know what he was so angry about.

The Dragon Rider threw the sheets back and pushed himself up from the stone bed, stretching to the cool grey ceiling above. Around the corner came the great hot breath of Lorelei, a great golden beast of magnificent size and strength. She was the fastest, strongest dragon they had, and she was his.

Melkiell felt the familiar warmth crest his mind, filling his thoughts with reassurance. What he dreamt, she dreamt. They shared every thought, every emotion, every experience. They were bound in ways most could never understand. It was a bond that went deeper than blood, deeper than love, deeper than life itself. She felt his pain and fear, and she gave him strength.

Any news from the scouts?

Found something, old trail. South.

And Rhoddhiim?

Smoldering. Strangers gone.

Melkiell nodded, turning his eyes back to the far end of the cavern, where it opened up wide enough to encase the dragon. Morning light trickled in through the vast opening at the end, the sun feeling warm on Lorelei’s scales. It was unlikely a band of a few traveling outsiders had decided to take up arms and march across the valley, through the forest, and into the mountains just to rescue a few children that did not belong to them, but Melkiell had no intentions of leaving their fate to likelihoods. They would maintain the scouts and the lookouts until they could be certain.

Send the scouts back out. They’ve missed something, I’m sure. If these strangers were stupid enough to go against Dragon Riders in Rhoddhiim, I must assume they will make an attempt here.

Foolish.

Perhaps. But, we cannot be too careful. We ourselves would be fools to underestimate anyone who poses any sort of threat to our people.

Lorelei agreed, and shifted her form so that she faced the rising sun. She drew in a breath, and then released a tremendous roar that resonated deep in her throat. It drew an answer of frantic wings and a few squawks of surprise and all dragons turned their attention to Lorelei’s broadcast.

Melkiell left his dragon to give the commands and went off in search of breakfast. Last night had been long and arduous. His men had succeeded in bringing in their take, though they had run into an unexpected snag. Still, he expected more of his men. The best. Their failure reflected upon him and he did not appreciate being made to look bad.

Breakfast was simple and small, for the kitchen had only just woken up and begun firing up the ovens. He took off with a few slices of cold meats and part of a loaf of bread, descending past the kitchen and into the darker parts of the mountain.

Deep below lived an old woman. She was weak and frail and looked well past the hundred-year-mark. It was unnatural, and yet there was very little that was natural about her. She had a name, though most had forgotten it by now, and those who knew her when she went by her given name had all gone and passed. She went by Seer. She was not, in fact, a true seer. She could not divine future outcomes nor see beyond the mortal veil into the spirit world. She was wise and learned and her counsel was highly regarded. She was the one who had instructed Melkiell to send for the children, though she had failed to mention anything of the strangers who had fought on Rhoddhiim’s behalf. The leader of the Dragon Riders very much wished to discuss this oversight with her.

“The Seer rests.”

Melkiell came to a halt at the bottom of the stairs, bread in mouth, mid-bite. He looked up at the guard standing in his way. He was only a child, eighteen maybe. Melkiell remained silent as he finished his bite, and then reached out a hand and easily shoved the young Rider aside.

“This is urgent.” He pushed through the door and into the dark, wet cave that served as the Seer’s home. It smelled of stale water and rotted flesh, and he only made the trip down here when it was important enough to risk whatever diseases festered in this woman’s abode.

“I was resting.”

“So I was told.” Melkiell drew up a chair and struck a match, leaning over to light the singular lantern. It caught flame and the room was cast in a dull glow. The Seer cowered at the flame, adverting her eyes.

“You are here because of what happened yesterday.” It did not take the ability to divine the future to make such an assessment.

“You said we would have no trouble. I sent my best Riders, not all of them returned.”

“The future is not set in stone, I can see many possible outcomes, but not which one will come to pass. There was a chance these strangers might meet and fight as one, though such likelihood depended on so many minuscule events, it was the least likely of outcomes. Foretelling what is to pass is not a perfect art. Had you asked for all possibilities, I would have shared what I saw, but you merely asked for the most likely.”

Melkiell frowned, for though he had little faith in the Seer’s true power, he knew her word was law. He needed her support for all decisions that were made.

“You have seen something.”

Melkiell paused, watching the woman before nodding. “A dream,” he replied.

“Yes, one that plagues you deeply. Tell me, child.”

“My memory is faint of it, though I have pieced it together over the weeks. It is the same every night—I stand alone in a torn battlefield, the Mountain aflame, surrounded by both fallen friend and foe. My sword is stained with blood, and I am weary. A great fear washes over me, suffocating me. It overwhelms me, and all else seems to fade into the background. And then, in the distance, I see her...” Melkiell paused, eyes drifting to the ceiling as he recalled his persistent dream, which always felt so real when he was in it, and then distant and past once he was awake.

“She’s just a child. She doesn’t speak, but she walks towards me and gestures to the battlefield surrounding us. I...don’t know what she’s trying to tell me. I ask her, but she refuses to speak, and points at the Mountain behind me. I turn, and as I do the fear grows, and I feel myself quake. I am numb, terrified to turn around and face the horror behind me. I pause, gather myself, and when I finally have the courage to see, I wake.” Melkiell’s eyes dropped back onto the old woman, who was watching him with keen eyes.

“Have you told anyone of this?”

Melkiell shook his head.

“Good,” the Seer hummed, eyes drifting to her folded hands in thought. Melkiell waited.

“This is an ill omen. This child, she is trying to warn you of something. Something dark that overshadows the Mountain. I must think on this dream of yours. For now, continue as we have. Our stores are nearly filled. We need more children. Another fifty should suffice, to make up for those who escaped in Rhoddhiim. Strengthen our borders should these strangers return. Continue to send out scouts, with orders to engage upon sight. We cannot risk anyone interfering.”

“And what shall I do with the children in the meantime? They are loud and restless. Their cries upset the dragons.”

“Put them to work. We need their spirits strong. Some light exercise should suffice.”

Melkiell nodded and stood. “What of the child? The one in my dream? Who is she?”

The Seer was silent for a moment, before shaking her head. “I am not sure, though I intend to find out.” She turned her back to Melkiell and curled in her seat, sinking into deep thought. Melkiell took his leave, brow furrowed as he fought through the Seer’s words. He was not sure he felt much better about anything.

~~

Melkiell could not afford to send out his best and brightest, for he needed those to remain at the stronghold. He gathered a group of young Riders who showed great talent and promise, who could use a few field missions to hone their skills. They took to the air Eastward, towards the farming town of Doth. It was small in comparison to the other villages they had raided, but would bring them to their goal. Fifty children, that was all the Seer called for. They would have little resistance from the docile farmers, who had enough land between neighbors to prevent any sort of gathering riot or protest.

A watch was set up, triple the usual amount, and scouts were sent out to push their borders in search of any oncoming threats. Any and all able-bodied Riders were called forth and tasked with the Mountain’s protection. They established shifts, and if one was not guarding or scouting, they were sleeping. If they were not sleeping, they were astride their dragon.

Melkiell had some difficulty deciding how to occupy the children. As the Dragon Riders were neither farmers nor fishermen, they obtained all their necessities through donations and tithes. The mountain range had little useable land and the stone caves within required little maintenance. But, they had talked of expansion for years now and their architects had drawn up plans for safe excavation. Melkiell found them buried deep beneath everything else that had been dreamt up for their Mountain, and set his right-hand about setting it up. The children would be taken out in groups and put to work in the tunnels, no more than a half hour at a time, for no more than an hour a day. They needed their spirits up and their hearts strong, but they also needed them alive.

Melkiell was never one to sit on his hands, and he grew restless with the passing days.

For a long moment Teddy just stared at Bram, stricken.

“Oh no,” she breathed, dismay clear in her voice and on her face. “Now there’s two of them.”

Scarcely had the words left her mouth before she went pink, realizing that that was not, perhaps, the most tactful thing to say when someone told you that their companion is allergic to most foods.

“I didn’t mean—it’s just—Alex doesn’t really eat, either, and—and—problem, it’s a problem, but. Um. Allergies are different, though—I mean, you can’t really control—it’s not his fault—“

Realizing that her mouth was running away with her, Teddy forced herself to stop, ducking her head in embarrassment.

“Sorry,” she murmured. “Don’t mind me.”

~

Thus far, Kaida had been content to be a spectator on the discussion of May and his magic. Now she leaned slightly forward, attention caught by May’s blithe little comment—maybe you can live without magic, but not me.

Magic had an interesting relationship with many species. For some, it was merely something to be channeled, useful but not inherent to their being; for others, magic was interwoven throughout them, as much a part of them as their flesh and blood.

And so she would not dismiss it as mere exaggeration.

“It is necessary for your existence?”

~

Lily drew her hands back into her lap, eyes flicking between Margaret and Beth as they worked through what she had been tracing on their palms. She brightened just a little as first Margaret, then Beth put the letters together, and she nodded, smiling faintly. She hadn’t known what she would have done if they couldn’t spell, though it probably would have involved resigning herself to being nameless, since there were no flowers around for her to point out and charades was always hit-or-miss.

She blinked, surprised by Beth’s question—and then she made a soft little noise that might have been a giggle, if it had been more sound and less air. The corners of her eyes crinkled smilingly as she held up one finger. The first one.

The thought of having a flower named after her felt warm and sweet, the way few things had since she had wound up in this place.

Last edited:
“Sect” was just a nice word for “cult” in Bram’s humble opinion, but, in a rare display of discernment, he did not point this out. Or perhaps it was just that the soup was finished.

“Stew’s done!” He called to the group at large.

As he ladled the strew into the waiting bowls, he glanced at Teddy. She had said another one, but he was fairly sure Alex was not a vampire and Teddy did not think Vlad was a witch. He chuckled at her attempt to explain. “Nah, it’s a bit different. But your friend should really try this. It’s amazing.”

He glanced at Ellery when she questioned May about magic. He liked to declare all magic was the same, but he had been around Vlad long enough to know better. And anyway, they would need to exchange what they learned about their questing companions later. Bram didn’t care all that much—he generally assumed the best of non-vampires—but Vlad certainly would want to know as much as possible.

Vlad considered the Alex’s answer, wishing he had read more on the topic of witches. But Alex wasn’t seeming to be including himself in the “witch” category, based on his choice of pronouns. He resisted the urge to check his aura again—no doubt Alex would notice. It was a complicated aura if Vlad remembered correctly—and he didn’t like complicated auras. His mother was certainly a witch, which meant his father... Hm, Vlad wasn’t sure.

And anyway, Bram was waving a ladle at him.

“My companion seems to be indicating dinner is served. You should at least try it so I do not have to listen to his complaints.”

Vlad knew he would be urged to “at least try the broth, Vlad, it’s liquid, yeesh” regardless, so might as well rope the witch in to eating some, as well. And Vlad certainly didn’t want Alex weakened by lack of food if there were demons about.

Starless blinked at Sasha’s question and swiveled her head to look at Bram, then Vlad. She took a few second to organize her thoughts and make sure she wasn’t calling them by their pet names before replying. He had, after all, asked for their intentions, not their motivations. They are. They will see those hatchlings rescued and this darkness dispelled. Abraham is a good fighter and of good character. Vladimir is loyal and tenacious. They have their shortcomings, but they will see this to the end.

May made a thoughtful little noise as he considered both of the questions aimed at him. Agni was laying down on his bedroll, back to the group, but he was surely still listening to their conversation, so May didn’t want to say anything that would get himself in trouble.

“Nah, I’m the only one who has magic like me. It’s... a long story, and hard to explain. I don’t really understand it all that well myself, the finer points and stuff. But yeah, I need magic to live. Or rather...” he pursed his lips and thought on it for a moment, trying to decide the best way to explain it. “I’m kind of like... a big magic cup I guess. I’m always filling up with it whether I like it or not, so I might as well use what I’ve got.”

He leaned back on his hands and tilted his head to the side thoughtfully.

“I don’t know if I would, like, die without it or anything. I am still human when it comes down to things, so I guess that if someone somehow cut off my magic I would be ok, but I don’t think that’s something anyone can do. Nor would I want them to; my magic is a part of me, I’ve had it since before I could talk or walk and I can’t imagine living without it.”

He grinned then, eagerly grabbing a bowl of the stew that had been prepared and tasting it, even though it was a little bit too hot yet to eat.

“Of course back then, when I was a kid, I couldn’t really control it very well or anything, so maybe it would have been better to not have it.”

“You were an uncontrolled powder keg,” Agni agreed, and May /knew/ that he had been listening.

“Well, I’m not now. I mean, I’m still good at explosions, but they’re directed explosions now. On purpose explosions.”

Despite May’s rather nonchalant way of describing his present state, Ellery found little comfort in considering him a ‘magic cup’. In Ellery’s experience, nothing good ever came of overflowing magic. And if the boy was correct and his use of magic was a necessity to keep such overflow from happening, then the Familiar felt there was something deeper and more complex at work here. Whoever—or whatever—he was, he was powerful, and Ellery intended to keep an eye on him. No matter the heart, such power always had a way of corrupting. Even the most selfless of intentions could be misconstrued by an overzealous misuse of spiritual energy. Not that she felt she should expect such intentional misuse from the mage, but she had a suspicion his companion may know even more than the boy did about his purpose.

The questioning was cut short as Bram announced the completion of the stew. The Familiar decided it was a good stopping point, and would confer with Alex upon what she had learned. It might even be wise to consult Ramesh, who had lived twice as many lives as her and was always good counsel. She would seek a meeting with him later that evening, when the others slept and she had proper time to think.

Alex frowned as his eyes moved to the group in the center of the small clearing, the Hunter seeming quite proud of his meager accomplishment. The Witch barely heard Vlad at his side, though he had already guessed that if Teddy did not try to convince him to eat, then Ellery would. At some point he assumed he would need to take a few bites, for his stomach had finally overcome its weariness from the flight and had begun to make small, pitiful noises. Whether he felt hunger however, was not the question. The true mystery was whether or not the food would stay put and not find its way back up.

“I promise to try it if you try it first,” Alex looked up at the vampire with a twinkle in his eye and an odd smile upon his lips.

Sasha watched Bram and then Vlad for a moment, and then returned his gaze to Starless. He nodded, thinking on her response for a moment before nodding a second time.

Thank you. I have never known a dragon to be deceptive, and I have known many dragons. They see the truth as it is and waste little time on the intricacies of lies. And even more so, you remind me of another who was dear to me. I will trust your assessment and trust your companions./ Sasha paused for a moment before continuing.

Is there anything else you would like to know?

~
Beth watched Lily with the innocent curiosity only a child possesses. She took a moment to decipher the girl’s meaning, before nodding and agreeing that her having been named after the flower and not the other way around, was the most probable answer.

“So what now?”
Margaret paused, and then sighed. “I’ll see if I can learn anything from the other kids. There has to be some sort of way out, maybe when they take us down to the mines? I don’t think they count us when they bring us back, but it’s hard to tell in the dark. If one or all of us could slip away, we might be able to snoop around, maybe find a tunnel that’ll lead outside.”

“I’m small, and pretty good at being quiet, but I think Lily’s probably better at being quiet.” She turned her eyes on her new friend. “What do you think? If we can cover for you, and maybe make some sort of distraction, do you think you’d be able to slip away for a couple hours and see what you can find? Only if you think you’ll be quiet enough, I don’t want you getting caught.”

“There’s no pressure,” Margaret cut in, glancing at Beth before turning concerned eyes on Lily. “It is perfectly okay if you don’t want to do it. I have practice being quiet on my father’s fishing boat. I can do it.”

“I see,” Kaida said, looking thoughtful.

A strong, constant flow of magic that could not be blocked off—and if May did not use the excess, what would happen? Would it simply continue to build, unchecked by normal limitations? Whatever the case may be, Agni’s comment about May being an ‘artifact’ was beginning to make more sense.

If his magic could not be cut off from him, and if he would not be harmed even if it were, then that was well. May’s answer had offered new potential concerns—but at least there was no need to worry on that account.

Rather than say any of this, Kaida took an apple out of her bag and began to peel it with her belt-knife, the red skin curling away in a single unbroken spiral.

“It is difficult when power comes before control,” she said sympathetically. “It is similar with some of our young magic-weavers.”

Teddy waved a hand slightly but didn’t try to clarify her statement, deciding that she had tripped over herself quite enough for one evening. Bram seemed amused rather than offended, at least, so she managed a smile through her embarrassment.

“It smells amazing,” she agreed, and turned to look at Alex at Bram’s prompting. The stew smelled great, but . . . well. All she could do was try, she thought, biting her lip. Alex hadn’t wanted the inn’s food, before, but maybe he’d be hungry now.

Maybe.

“I hope he will,” she said fervently. Ellery looked lost in thought, so Teddy put aside her pelts and got to her feet with a quiet, “I’ll get him.”

Alex had a look on his face like he was enjoying himself, and she spared a moment to pray that he hadn’t been enjoying himself at Vlad’s expense. She glanced at Vlad’s face as she approached—he didn’t look irritated, at least. That was a good sign.

“Supper’s ready,” she said, tucking her hands into the pockets of her skirt. Then, in the tone of someone hoping for the best but bracing for the worst, “Alex, come eat?”

~

Quiet. Yes, she was good at being quiet. Quiet enough to slip beneath notice, to make herself small and unremarkable. Quiet enough to be forgotten. It was making sound that was the trouble.

But sound wasn’t what was needed, now. For once, it wasn’t her voice that was wanted, but her silence. And that, Lily could do.

The thought of being alone in the tunnels of the Mountain did make her quail inside, a little, but that was okay. She was used to doing to things that she didn’t really want to do, and this way, she’d be doing something useful. She’d like to be useful to Beth and Margaret—they were nice.

So Lily straightened her shoulders and tried to smile while she nodded, pointing to herself.

I can do that.

Last edited:
Bram eyed May as he dished out the soup. "A big magic cup" sounded like probably not a real thing. However, explosions sounded great. "Explosions?" Bram prompted. "What sorts of explosions?"

Vlad made a show of wrinkling his nose. "He did not poison it, witchling."

In truth, Vlad had no idea why Alex would want him to try it. Perhaps it was merely some attempt at amusement or maybe he was curious to see if the vampire would. Either way, Vlad doubted Alex could even fathom what it was like to live with a self-proclaimed chef when one did not consume solid food. Vlad had had an unholy amount of things he could not digest stuck under his nose.

"But," Vlad added with a dramatic sigh, "if you wish me to prove it, I shall."

It would make Bram happy, anyway.

With a small--and entirely real--groan, the vampire pushed himself to his feet. He stretched--not unlike a cat--before making his way over to where Bram was giving him the evil eye. Normally, he would have at least politely offered his hand to the witch, but something told him the witch would find the gesture more annoying than courteous.

The slayer waved his ladle at the bowl he had in his hand as the vampire approached. "That kid gonna eat?"

Vlad took the bowl from him and made a show of sipping some of the broth.

Bram instantly brightened. Vlad must have smelled it and wanted to try it. "It's good, right?"

Vlad passed the bowl back. "Delicious. One of your better stews for sure."

Bram grinned. "Yeah, I tried a different ratio of the spices--wait..." He scowled, having noticed the pointed look Vlad had given Alex. "You just drank that on some bet or something!"

Vlad sighed. "No, and it really was delicious, Abraham, I merely--"

Bram shoved the bowl back into Vlad's hands. "Then I'm sure you'll want more." The vampire gave his companion a truly piteous look, but Bram was unforgiving. "I doubt he wants your nasty spit in there, anyway. Could put him to sleep."

Vlad eyed the bowl morosely as Bram turned back to the stew pot. The vampire sipped at the broth. It really did taste good, but he really couldn't eat the solid bits without making himself sick.

Bram ladled out a second bowl and extended it to Alex. "Here, this'll put hair on your chest." He glanced over at Vlad and snorted. "He looks pretty pitiful, doesn't he? Think I should rescue him or let him suffer for a little longer?"

Bram answered his own question by reclaiming the bowl from the sad-eyed vampire and polishing it off in a few bites. Once he was finished, he pointed the spoon at Vlad. "You better be glad I was hungry or I would watched you suffer."

"Abraham, it really was--"

"Yeah, yeah." Bram ladled more stew into his bowl. "I don't need validation from a leech."

Vlad gestured vaguely. After a few seconds, he huffed. "I'm sorry."

Bram eyed him peevishly for a few seconds before he couldn't keep his laugh in any longer. He nudged Alex cheerfully with his elbow. "It is so hard to get him to apologize for being a manipulative jerk, but I have mastered it. It was good, right?"

"I was entirely honest about that, Abraham," Vlad muttered.

"Mm-hm," Bram muttered around a mouthful of stew. He gestured at Alex with his spoon. "So flying's not your thing, kid, huh? Yeah, I felt that way my first few times. Starless flies like a crazy dragon, but at least she's fast, right?"

Starless flicked her ears and glanced over at where her riders were going through a typical round of bickering. A warm fire of affection lit under her breastbone. Bram reacting calmly and Vlad apologizing? They had grown up, hadn't they?

They are good people, she added. I truly believe that. Certainly, Bram was a bit rash and Vlad had a bad habit of scheming, but deep down--beneath the desire for pleasure through thrills and power through knowledge--they really did want the world to be better than it was. She attempted to convey this through her sense of her riders, but it was so difficult without knowing Sasha's mind well.

She considered Sasha's question. Certainly, she had plenty of things she wanted to know, but most of them would either be shortly answered or would be far too prying. She was very curious about his dragon, but if their roles were reversed, she knew she won't want some rider asking her what had happened to her rider. The very thought of losing them--either of them--made it difficult to draw breath.

Starless dipped her head. No, bright one. I appreciate your willingness to speak with me. I know that was not easy. But I am glad to know I can face this darkness with a worthy wing-companion. My riders are in good company with one such as yourself.

May brightened up at the talk of explosions. That was always his favourite kind of conversation.

"Magic explosions, duh," he said with a grin. "I can sort of, you know, channel my energy into a crystal and then when I want to cause some damage I just, you know. Let it out. That makes it blow up."

He seemed very proud of himself as he explained, though he flushed a little bit when Kaida mentioned his control. He /was/ getting better at that, but Agni didn't let the topic slide the way May had hoped.

"He has improved a great deal since he was a child," he mused, and May glowered at him.

"Of course I have! Nobody is good at magic when they're a kid," he insisted, and Agni shrugged his shoulders.

"The high priestess started learning magic at a young age, and she never blew a hole through the monastery wall. How many times have you done that?" He asked innocently. May's face was red and he quickly grumbled something about 'that's not important' before he turned back to his stew. It really was good, and he ate with gusto before setting his bowl down. He eyed Vlad and raised his eyebrows, because he definitely did not seem enthused about eating.

"Do you have an upset stomach or something?" He asked curiously. "Because I can probably help with that sort of thing, though I am much better at blowing things up than healing."

Alex watched as Vlad got up, feeling a childish sense of giddiness as the vampire agreed to try the slayer’s stew. Really, the witch just thought it would be amusing to see a vampire eat, but was also curious to see if he could.

Teddy walked up at about the same time, looking quite doubtful as she invited them over. Alex figured he may be ready for a small bite. His stomach had fully settled, and he might as well give it a shot. If it stayed down, great. If not, well, there was always next time. Of course, he was not about to give anyone the satisfaction of thinking it was their idea that he eat.

“Vladimir has kindly offered to taste the stew for poison for us,” Alex advised as he pushed himself to his feet. He shook the hair out of his eyes, which were still glowing with his usual mischievous excitement. “C’mon, this could be good.”

Alex’s hands fell into his oversized pockets and he followed Vlad to the others, dragging his feet as he walked. Ellery had given up trying to correct the bad habit about ten years ago. They walked up just as May was in the middle of defending his shortcomings as a child to Agni.

“I was,” Alex offered, though no one had asked. But then, when your mother is the Head Witch of the Grand Coven whose plans for your future involve you being a conduit for the Queen of Hell Herself, you have no other option but to be good. Child or otherwise.

Much to Alexander’s surprise, Vlad did not disappoint. Of course, this meant Alex was next. After berating the vampire for a bit, which Alex found exceptionally amusing, Bram offered the witch his own bowl. He looked down at it for a moment, nose wrinkling and mouth twisting as if he were looking into a bowl filled with spiders. He would have preferred the spiders. Alex took the bowl and sipped slowly at the broth.

The stew was surprisingly good. He waited for a minute or two, allowing it to settle into his stomach. There were no immediate adverse reactions and everything stayed put. He took a second sip.

Alex’s eyes lifted from the stew to the Slayer, who was trying to relate to him. Cute. But, annoying. Especially the fact that he kept calling him kid. Contrary to what most people seemed to think, Alex was a grown ass adult. He just had a lot of issues.

“If we were meant to fly, we’d have wings.”

~

Sasha felt almost sad that the conversation was drawing to a close. He could not help the small ghost of a smile that passed over his face.

Of course. This has been...therapeutic. I am honored to fight at your side, along worthy companions. For now, though, I must eat. What about you? Have you eaten?

As if on cue, Sasha saw the strange woman from before—Ellery, he thought her name was—making her way over with a bowl of stew in her hands. She paused a second as she passed the dragon, looking upon Starless with both awe and admiration. She inclined her head to the dragon in a respectful greeting before walking around to Sasha. The Familiar knelt before him and held the bowl out.

“I thought you might be hungry. It is quite good.”

Sasha glanced over at Starless, looking for some sort of reaction that might help him better understand why this woman made him feel the way he did. Or at least a sense of comfort that would assure him Starless was not concerned about her. Sasha’s attention returned to Ellery.

“Thank you,” he accepted the offering, looking down upon it before turning his eyes back on Ellery. “Will you sit with me?”

Ellery hesitated and glanced behind her to see Alex and Teddy interacting again, and the witch even tasting the stew for himself. They were going to be fine. The Familiar nodded and lowered herself into the grass at Sasha’s side. Her eyes returned to the dragon.

“Starless, yes?”

~

Margaret watched Lily closely as she processed the information and seemed to come to the conclusion that she was up to the job. The elder girl, however, was not so sure. Not because she did not think Lily was capable, but because the risk of capture was too high and Margaret did not want to even begin to think of what would happen to them if they were caught trying to escape. Her imagination ran wild and only darkness and despair lay ahead. Being the elder of the three, it was her responsibility to get them out of here safe and sound. The thought of sending either Lily or Beth into danger made her stomach churn and her blood run cold. She could not bring herself to make the call.

“I’m going,” She finally decided, eyes narrowing slightly in her determination. “Thank you, both of you, for being so brave, but...I just can’t bring myself to send either of you into danger. Who knows what could happen to you if you were caught.” Margaret sighed, shaking her head.

“Tomorrow, when they take us down to the tunnels, I’m going to need some sort of distraction. Maybe one of you could pretend to faint and the other call for help? When the guards are distracted, that’s when I’ll slip away, okay? Can you both do that?”

Last edited:
Hm.

Kaida hadn’t intended to embarrass May further, but it seemed that she had. Or perhaps it was Agni’s quickness to tease that had embarrassed him—the opportunity for which she had, though unintentionally, given. Apologizing now might only serve to bring the subject up again, so she dropped the apple peel into the fire and subsided into thoughtful silence.

When May’s attention turned to Vlad and his unwillingness to eat, she too flicked her gaze over. But she didn’t join in the questioning—only considered him for a moment, quietly. But he could handle himself, no doubt, so she stayed out of it, carving a slice from her apple and savoring the bright sweetness.

~

“He wouldn’t have poisoned it, Alex, sheesh!” Teddy said, with a little roll of her eyes. “He’s eating from the same pot, isn’t he? It’d be a waste of good food.”

And the exchange felt normal. Achingly normal, Alex’s mischief and her own exasperated fondness, like their usual pattern was right there and waiting, if she could just—put aside her hurt feelings. And maybe she shouldn’t. Maybe she should stay angry, pull it up around her like a barrier of frost and fire, wear her heart on her sleeve and hope that for once, for once Alex would stop and reconsider—

But Alex was stubborn, and after hours spent in stony silence with Ellery, Teddy was tired. It felt wrong to be angry with Alex and Ellery for so long, prickling and uncomfortable like she’d swallowed a mass of brambles, and she was just…tired.

It’d be easier to tuck the hurt away, somewhere deep and out of sight.

So that was what she did, as she fell into step beside Alex and followed him back to the fire. As she picked up her own bowl of stew and watched Alex sip at his. And when she tried on a smile, pleased that he was giving the food a serious try, it even felt real.

“Oh, rescue him,” she entreated Bram, her heart going out to the doleful Vlad. Unnecessarily, it seemed, but either way it ended with Vlad being relieved of the bowl that was making him so miserable, so she was satisfied.

Well. Satisfied that he wasn’t going to force himself to eat something that would make him sick, anyway. Which still left the question of what he was actually going to eat.

“Or if you just can’t eat the stew, do you want something else?” she asked worriedly, tacking her question onto the end of May’s offer. “What do you like?”

~

Lily faltered, eyebrows drawing together in confusion. But she could—she could do it, and if she did it then Margaret wouldn’t have to, so why—oh.

Margaret didn’t want to send them into danger?

She should argue. She should tell Margaret that she really didn’t mind, that there was something she needed to do, anyway, so she might as well start with this. That she was used to making herself small and easily overlooked, so she could go unnoticed. Even though she didn’t know how she could communicate all of that—she should try.

That’s what she should do. But Lily felt small, and scared, and when she thought of sneaking off alone her chest squeezed tight and her heart beat faster, and she didn’t want to go. And it would be so easy to let Margaret take charge, to just do what she said. To just be the distraction.

Lily bit her lip, and she nodded. And she was ashamed of herself.

But maybe, maybe she could still be helpful. There were two parts to the distraction Margaret needed, and she couldn’t call for help, but…

Lily put a hand to her forehead and pretended to swoon, swaying like she was going to crumple to the ground right then and there.

Last edited:
"You can blow up magic rocks," Bram said, more of a statement than a question. May had weird abilities, but he had seen weirder. Bram rolled his eyes at Agni's teasing. "don't worry about it, kid. If you don't make mistakes, you'll never learn."

Vlad arched an eyebrow at Alex. "I have a dragon with wings. That means I am meant to fly."

"That's his argument every time," Bram informed Alex in a stage whisper.

Vlad blinked at May's question. "No, no stomach troubles. It is simply that I am, mm--"

"Allergic!" Bram interjected. "Allergic to most things."

Vlad sighed, hoping May would not question why he had consumed some of the broth, then. He could eat most meat as long at it was lean, but the fats and vegetables were hard to digest. In fact, he would get digestive discontent from the oils in the broth alone.

However, his minor concern was changed to worry when Teddy asked what he would like to eat. "People blood" not being a satisfactory answer, he searched for one that would make sense. He was not used to people asking after his eating habits.

"I have already eaten," he said, which was true. But figuring people might get worried as they noticed him not eating, he said, "I cannot much other than lean meat and certain vegetables."

Bram grinned at Teddy's concern. "Don't worry. I make sure he's fed." He turned and waved his ladle at Kaida. "Did you want any, ma'am?"

Starless smiled, sensing Sasha's sadness. You can talk to me whenever you please, good Sasha. And thank you. I just hunted a few days ago.

Then the Familiar was approaching with food for the Rider. More than a little flattered at Ellery's obvious respect, the dragon dipped her own head. At Sasha's glance, Starless blinked lazily and smiled. This familiar seemed to fulfil a similar roll to what Starless did. Starless sensed that she would protect her witch first and foremost, but also she seemed to have a good head on her shoulders. Deciding she would make judgments later, Starless let out a small sigh and stretched. At ease now that she had gathered information, she stretched herself next to the Rider and Familiar, twitching her tail lazily.

When the Familiar addressed her, Starless regarded her with sapphire eyes. Yes, that is my name. And you are Ellery. That hatchling next to my Riders is your charge, yes?

May rolled his eyes at Alex's interjection.

"Ok, fine, /most/ people aren't good at magic when they're kids," he acquiesced. "We can't all be geniuses- or Henri."

Agni narrowed his eyes at him.

"You should speak with more respect towards the high priestess," he pointed out, and May sighed, rolling his shoulders.

"Why? We're friends, it feels weird to call her 'venerable high priestess' or whatever all the time. Just because you guardians don't like names doesn't mean we're all like that."

Agni crossed his arms and huffed, turning his head away.

"You humans' obsession with names is more unusual. It makes far more sense to simply call somebody by what they are, rather than a moniker given to them," he said, and May snorted.

"Yeah? When I gave you your name, you were so excited you asked everybody to call you by it for like, a month straight." He was happy to be on the teasing end instead of the receiving end this time, and it was Agni's turn for his face to colour. He opened his mouth to rebut, before realizing that 'I only reacted that way because it came from you' just made him seem sentimental and squishy. Instead he huffed and laid down on his bedroll, turning away from the avoid any further embarrassment.

Pleased that he'd won this time, May turned back to Vlad curiously.

"Oh, huh. I don't have anything like that, just tea and dried fish," he said, deflating a bit. Agni raised his head, eyeing the group critically before he laid back down.

"He'll probably be fine," he said to May. "But you should make tea. Surely you have some water left over."

May scrunched up his nose, because yeah, he did, but he had been hoping to save that as actual water water. But there was probably a creek or a water source on the way to the mountain that he could purify, so...

"Fine, fine," he grumbled as he fished the box of leaves and a small pot out of his bag. It was a fairly expensive blend, made from leaves that only grew on the island, and was one of the few things that they actually exported.

"All rocks have the potential to be magic," he said to Bram as he filled the pot with water from his watering skin and placed it over the fire. "You just have to know how to use them."

“And you let him get away with it?” Alex eyed Bram, disappointed. “His dragon may have wings, but he doesn’t.” Perhaps it was an argument not worth having, but Alexander would be damned if he did not at least fight for the opportunity to be right whenever he got the chance. It seemed, however, he would have to argue the point another day, as the conversation had turned from poking the vampire to immense concern over his wellbeing. The poor thing.

“Allergic? My, isn’t that just sad. I can’t imagine being subjected to such a restrictive diet, especially out here, where food is not so easy to come by.” His tone was the opposite of caring as he feigned a pouted lip, eyes sparkling in his enjoyment. Perhaps he was taking things a tad far, but to be honest, it had been a while since he had conversed with anyone other than Ellery and Teddy. He would never admit it aloud, but Alex was rather enjoying the company.

~

When Starless appeared to relax and stretch out, Sasha took it to mean she sensed no obvious threat in the woman. Sasha has come to trust the intuition of dragons over his own, and so he felt reassured that he had read the woman appropriately. He was not entirely sure who or even what she was, but it was nice to know there was yet another he could begin to trust. He watched as the two exchanged words and took a chance on the stew. It was actually quite good.

“Yes, I am charged with his protection. The other, I have adopted on my own. An unconventional practice, but one I take just as seriously.” Ellery paused, blinking up at the dragon as she mulled over her next thought.

“I have never met a dragon before,” she continued. “Aside from the ones in the square, I suppose. I have studied all the lore of the universe and have read and learned much of your kind, but I must say, I remain in awe at your magnificence. One day, perhaps once this darkness is behind us, I might be granted the opportunity of some insight into your history? At your leisure, of course. You see, as one charged with the protection of a witch, I am also charged with absorbing the secrets of the universe. The more knowledge I acquire, the better an aid I can be to my witch.”

“I do not have the vast knowledge that Starless here likely has, but I spent many years in the mind of a dragon. I would be happy to assist, should you accept.” Sasha did not know what it was about this woman that drew him to trust her, but he felt that any assistance he could be to her would assist the group as a whole.

Ellery offered Sasha a warm smile. “Of course,” she replied, reaching a hand out and resting it on the man’s forearm. “I can see in your eyes that you hold many secrets and truths. I would be glad to share in your knowledge.”

~

Margaret smiled as Lily appeared as if she might feint. She was glad the two girls accepted their roles, and though she was beyond freightened at what might happen to her if she was caught, she found comfort in knowing Lily and Beth would be safe.

“Yes, very good. And Beth, you have your role?”

Beth nodded, eager to get the ball rolling. Why did they have to wait until the guards took them out tomorrow? Sure, it would make Margaret’s part easier, but Beth had never been the patient waiting type.

Margaret eyes Beth, watching the girl’s eyes dart about as she fought through her thoughts.

“Beth?”

“Yeah, I got it, don’t worry,” Beth sighed, glancing over at Lily for a moment before turning back to Margaret. “Lily feints, I fall for help, you slip away. Tomorrow.” Beth nodded one more time, more to assure herself than for Margaret’s benefit. “Ugh, I just can’t stay in this place one more second. It’s so cold and stuffy at the same time. Like, how is that even possible?”

Beth threw her hands up and Margaret laughed at the girl’s show of frustration. She also quickly pushed the girl’s hands back down and motioned for her to keep her voice down. Two guards came by their cell, peered in at the crowded floor of sleeping children, and then moved on.

“We’re gonna get out of here, I promise,” Margaret whispered, drawing Lily and Beth close so that no one would hear. “I just ask a little patience from both of you. I’m gonna find us a way out and before you know it, we’ll be back home, safe and sound. And warm, and no longer stuffy,” she added, giving Beth a smile.

Last edited:
Teddy’s worry eased in the face of Bram’s grin. Surely he wouldn’t be so cheerful if his friend were going hungry, after all, and the thought was reassuring enough that she could relax and smile back.

“Lean meat and vegetables,” she repeated, to fix it in her mind. “Okay. Let me know if I can help, I’d be happy to keep an eye out for the right ones when I go hunting!”

An open offer, instead of directly asking what the ‘certain vegetables’ were, since Vlad was starting to look a little put on the spot. Maybe he was uncomfortable talking about it, she thought, and resolved not to press him.

So then of course Alex chimed in, sympathetic words completely at odds with the tone of his voice, and she drove a sharp elbow into his side without losing her smile.

It was odd, though. Teasing someone for being allergic to things seemed like a mean-spirited thing to do, but when she glanced over at Alex, his expression wasn’t the one he wore when he was being deliberately mean. No, he looked like he was having fun at someone else’s expense (and some might argue that that was the same as being mean, but the expressions were different!), and also... like he knew something someone else didn’t, and was enjoying every second of it.

Teddy narrowed her eyes at him, and wondered if it was worth trying to get it out of him now.

~

Across the fire, Kaida looked up and smiled slightly when she saw the waving ladle.

“Please. And do call me Kaida, it seems only fair,” she said, lowering apple and knife. “Would anyone care for an apple? I have more than enough.”

Zephyr was fond of them, and so she had been sure to pack plenty, but the mare wouldn’t mind sharing.

~

Very good, Margaret said, and Lily straightened back up and managed a weak smile. Beth seemed in much better spirits than she was—the other girl seemed frustrated, but all the more impatient because of that frustration, full of energy despite everything and ready for tomorrow. Lily wished, with a quiet sort of longing, that she could be the same way. Brave, instead of small and scared.

But she was scared. When the guards came to peer in at them, she went still despite herself, watching them with wide eyes until they went away and she could breathe again. And when Margaret drew her and Beth close she went willingly, tucking her hands under her arms to keep herself from clinging to the older girl.

Back home, safe and sound.

Promises like that weren’t for her, Lily knew, though she was sure Margaret meant it. Her task wouldn’t be complete after they escaped, and she knew better than to try to hide from it. But in that moment, in the dim cold of the cells, she pressed closer to Margaret’s side and let herself pretend.

Around them, things went quiet as the low murmur of other voices slowly trailed off. Weariness pressed down on all of the children, and already some had slipped off into dreams, where harsh reality could be traded for sweeter visions. Lily tried to resist the pull of sleep—dreams held no comfort for her, not now—but she couldn’t stop her eyes from drooping, or her head from growing heavy.

"I am not certain I agree with you on names," Vlad told Agni, a small smirk about his lips. "Then I would have to call Bram 'Idiot' all the time."

"You already do," Bram said. "And I'd have to call Vlad 'Smartass', but then again, I already do."

Vlad slid his eyes to Teddy and smiled at her eagerness. "Thank you, you are too kind."

At Alex's comment, Bram flicked his eyes between the witch and his vampire before raising his eyebrows. Vlad just sighed and shrugged.

Well, that explained the pointed teasing, then. Bram supposed it wasn't too bad if the witch knew, but he didn't want it spread around. No doubt everyone would decide they didn't want to sleep next to a vampire, and they might get kicked off the evil-hunting team.

"Yes," Vlad agreed dryly, "I would not want to substitute my normal diet for something less appetizing out here where food is so scarce."

Bram shoved a bowl under Vlad's nose. "Stop threatening scrawny witches and hold this so I can get Kaida some."

Vlad took the bowl and held it as Bram ladled out the stew. The threat was entirely idle as Vlad would never dream of going after witch blood--extremely unappetizing stuff--even if they were not on the same team. He was sure Alex knew that, and therefore felt comfortable with such a toothless threat.

Bram strode over to Kaida and handed her the bowl. "Here ya are. And I wouldn't mind an apple since you're offering." Glancing over at May, Bram said, "And how do you use rocks, then?"

Starless chortled deep in her throat at the familiar. And I have never met one such as yourself. As to your adoption of yon beastling, I understand that as well. I am unconventional in that I allow two people to ride with me. I care for them both.

She rumbled happily when Ellery asked to learn her history. The dragons of the East were a proud race with a rich history. Their history and memories were passed from parent to child so that Starless remembered events she had not been alive for. Much of her clan's recent history had been intertwined with the one family they had made a pact with, so she would have to ask Vlad's permission for the sharing of that history.

Of course, bright one. I would be happy to pass that along. And, you are fortunate. I am one of my clan's rememberers. We are the ones who keep our history in our hearts. And I am sure Sasha has more to tell about my western cousins.

The dragon paused. She wished to ask after Ellery's witch. What sort of man was he? She had enjoyed listening to her Rider interact with him, but she was not sure what to think of him. Why had he let that evil free? Could he be a danger to their group? She also knew that Bram and Vlad would want to try to defeat Lilith.

But she did not wish to pry too much when she had just met the familiar. And she did not want to worry Sasha when she, herself, did not even have all the information. Instead, she asked, Where have you and your family traveled from? We are from the land to the east. Vladimir and I are from the mountains, while Abraham is from the coast.

May hummed as he boiled the water and then added the dried leaves.

“I do lots of stuff,” May said. “It’s all about knowing what they /can/ do and just... making them do that.”

He wasn’t really very good at explaining his magic, and he sat back on his haunches with a little sigh.

“It’s like, certain stones mean different things. Even just regular rocks have a meaning, if you know what they’re made of. But it’s all about just finding the meaning and... making it do that.”

Agni snorted slightly.

“You are terrible at explaining. Besides, nobody can use magic that way but you. You make up half the meanings you claim to know anyways,” he pointed out, and May flicked a bit of dirt at him.

“I do not! I just go by what I think it should be. It’s intuition, not making stuff up.”

“Why don’t you just use an example?” Agni suggested, taking off one of his rings and handing it to the young mage. The deep red stone glittered in the firelight, and May hummed as he turned it over.

“Ok, so this is a ruby, right? I’m pretty sure that stands for life force, and passion, and stuff like that. So by that vein it should be able to do...” he paused for a second and screwed up his face, concentrating. The gem glowed faintly, and the grasses in front of him began to grow rather rapidly. After a moment he stopped, exhaling in a woosh. No need to get tired over a simple demonstration.

“Stuff like that,” he said proudly, then squeaked as he noticed the water was boiling over. “Yikes, yikes, ok.”

He quickly took the pot off the fire and grabbed his sieve and Agni’s clay teacup from his bag, pouring some of the tea into it before handing it to his companion. He looked back at Vlad and held up the concoction with a little smile.

“You want some? Since you can’t really eat anything... if not, that’s ok too!” He added quickly.

Alex reacted a little more aggressively than might be expected of one of his moderate height when Teddy’s small elbow jabbed his side. He winced, a small gasp of air escaping his lips. He frowned, giving Teddy a look as he slipped a hand beneath his jacket and rubbed at his ribs. He said nothing however, noting the smile on Teddy’s face. They never had much time for friend-making, and while Alex considered ‘friends’ to be more of a nuisance than anything, it was nice to see Teddy opening up to these people. She deserved more than a salty witch past his prime and his life-partner-turned-mother-hen of a Familiar.

The conversation shifted from Vlad’s dietary restriction and back to the mage kid’s personal brand of magic. Alex had noticed Ellery doing some digging of her own earlier, and while they had not yet compared notes, he figured he might as well do his part. Who knew how long these two would remain this chatty, might as well get what they could while they were so free with their information.

Alex lowered himself to the ground. He drew his legs in, crossing them, and leaned back, propping himself up with his hands. He had kept his attention on the mage throughout his display, taking careful mental notes of the boy’s facial expressions and body language as he proceeded.

“I descend from a long line of Wiccans,” he chimed in once May was finished. “My mother was a loyal practitioner for the better part of her early years. The Wiccan religion is unique in that it exalts the individual over the collective, and while many covens would have you believe that their way is the only way to true spirituality, that very thought goes against what is at the heart of the religion: that we are all on our own paths, separate and personal from anyone else’s path. The point being,” he concluded, recognizing that he was droning on. “Meaning and purpose is not in the object, but in the wielder. A rune might have a deep meaning for one individual, and yet have a completely different meaning for another, or absolutely no meaning for a third. Specific crystals and stones and symbols might have generally agreed-upon meaning, but if the wielder does not recognize that meaning for themselves, then the object is but an object. In the same way, if you intuit meaning and purpose within a stone, and whole-heartedly believe that this particular stone holds this specific meaning, and focus your own energies into this belief, you can harness the energies of the stone to fulfill this purpose. Intuition is encouraged within the religion, as it is considered a product of a sort of subconscious psychic link to the spiritual energies of our world.”

~

Ellery’s smile returned to Starless, the dragon’s joy at the request evident in the warm wave that passed over Ellery’s mind. The Familiar’s own smile deepened as the dragon spoke. It seemed she had found a kindred spirit in the dragon, a being of kind heart, deep knowledge, and a love for her charges that transcended the human idea of the word. Ellery wondered how much time she would have with Starless before they were forced to go their separate ways, and hoped to make the most of it.

“That would be splendid,” Ellery replied, delighted the dragon had agreed. In turn, she would be glad to share anything the dragon wanted to know, be it of her own kind or anything else the Familiar had knowledge of. The anticipation of the future exchange was enough for Ellery to set aside her fears of the future, even for just a moment.

“I cannot speak to Teddy before we met her, that is her own story, one I do not have permission to tell. However,” the Familiar continued with an apologetic dip of her head. “Alexander’s family has for centuries resided in the most northern parts, in a particularly snowy region of immense cold. The ancestral home is tucked deep within the mountains, perfectly sheltered from the bite of the eternal winter. He left when he was a child, and not long after was I brought to him. We have been together ever since, always moving, never staying in one place for too long, no real destination in mind other than a need to be as far away from his mother as we can possibly be. Their relationship is...complicated, at best.” Ellery paused, and resisted the urge to look back at her witch, to confirm he was still there, unharmed. He was safe, she had nothing to worry about in the moment.

“We met Teddy a few years back, when we were passing through a small fishing town. By some miracle, Teddy was unphased by Alexander’s...ways, and Alexander seemed to actually enjoy her company.” Ellery shook her head with a soft chuckle. “A true miracle, really. They’ve been inseparable every since.”

~

One by one, the children drifted off to sleep, and the stone chamber echoed with the soft murmurs of fitful dreams and gentle snores. Every now and then, a child would bolt upright and burst into tears upon realizing that the dream had been the dream, and that real life awaited them on the other side. Each time, a guard would come stomping over and one of the older children would have to hold and caress the younger child until they were silent once more.

Margaret spent most of the night awake, mind bouncing from one thought to the next, her body plagued with anxiety and the adrenaline of an ever-present flight response. When she finally did find a break in her consciousness long enough to allow her to drift off, if was only a few hours later that a man with a particularly loud and deep bellow came storming into the cavern calling for everyone to be up on their feet and lined up outside their cells in five.

Meredith jumped at the sound, her head racing as she caught her breath in the surprise. Beth rolled off her lap in the movement, her head thumping against the stone.

“Ow!” Beth hissed, eyes still half closed as she rubbed sleepily at the bump.

“Sorry,” Margaret whispered, helping Beth to her feet. “Here, look into my eyes. Quick, before the guard comes back.”

Beth did as requested, still half asleep and too tired to even ask why. Margaret peered into the younger girl’s eyes, watching her pupils. It was hard to tell in this light, but Margaret did not think Beth had any sort of concussion. She had not been too far from the ground.

Margaret stood to her full height, satisfied Beth would be okay. “I think you’re fine. Just let me know if you feel dizzy or weird at all. I wouldn’t want you for real passing out for our plan.” Margaret turned her eyes down in search for Lily, hoping she had not also knocked the girl aside in her original fright

Last edited:
She would only need to ask the once, it seemed. Bram took to using her name with no further urging, and Kaida smiled slightly. Yes, this was much better than standing on ceremony, if they were to be companions.

“A trade, then,” she said lightly, and when she took the offered bowl she left a rosy apple in its place. “Thank you, Bram.”

~

Alex didn’t say anything, but Teddy caught his gasp—small and pained, instead of loud and theatric the way it would have been if he was playing—and looked over in time to see him rubbing his side, frowning. Her own playful smile dimmed, guilt furrowing her eyebrows—she hadn’t meant to hurt him, only to tease. But she had forgotten herself, and not been as gentle as she ought to have.
If Alex hadn’t brought it up, then she wouldn’t either. But she leaned against him in silent apology, careful not to overbalance him, even as she returned Vlad’s smile. She didn’t fully understand the exchange between him and her brother (Bram called it a threat?) but she took her cues from Alex and trusted he had it in hand.

Magic, though, was a familiar topic.

She watched May’s demonstration avidly, and then settled in to listen with a contented sort of smile as Alex joined the discussion.

“So basically, he thinks that intuition is a perfectly reasonable approach to magic,” she summarized in a stage whisper when he was done.

~

At some point during the night, Lily’s head had fallen to rest against Margaret’s shoulder, and she had slept. It was a fitful sleep, plagued by visions and repeatedly broken by the tramp of the guards’ boots—and yet, there had been some comfort in having Beth and Margaret near, enough that she had been able to return to sleep instead of spending the rest of the night awake and on edge.

And so she was asleep when the guard came to roust them all out of dreams, and it was a combination of his bellow and Margaret’s jump that jostled Lily into wakefulness. She didn’t fall, though—she caught herself against the stone wall and made herself small against it, blinking through her disorientation until she remembered where she was.

The cells. The Mountain. And—oh. Last night, Margaret and Beth and the whispered plan, beginning today.

She took a deep breath, and got to her feet when Margaret turned to look for her, twining her hands together to stop herself from reaching for the other girls’ sleeves and trying to smile to show them she was ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back