• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

D&D 5e idea [closed]

Wafting. We have 2 front liners in Paladin and Fighter, support with Cleric, and what I'm assuming is going to be rogue. From that, I feel an arcane caster makes since and has story potential with them being feared.
Sorlock is a personal favorite, so that's a thing.
Getting someone focused on intelligence could be nice, so Wizard is an option. The theming and abilities of the College of Scribes appeals.
Though arcane caster seems to be the whole need filling, I'm also still considering Ranger and/or monk.

Whoa, a lot happened since I was last here. Let me read through and answer everything.

About race
Sherwood Sherwood Minotaur is ok for me. I'd like you to consider these ideas: he might be the last of his kind. If the tribe was eradicated, and he's the last one, that plays on him being different. Another option is the tribe came through a portal from another world, and that's why there were so few of them. -- However, these ideas are just that, ideas. Take them or leave them as it fits you best. So, you can have the race originating and fully existing in our game world, if that's what you prefer.
Psychie Psychie I haven't seen many gnomes in play. Do you want to go with my deep gnome (svirfneblin) idea, or some other subrace?
Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford Sorry, but I'm not interested in half-orcs, for the same reason I don't want elves, dwarves, halflings and tieflings. Is there something else you'd be interested in?

Custom lineage is fine for me, same for class options from Tasha's.

Gears Gears 'Interested in playing a former thief who got recruited' - that's neat for a magistrate, and also useful.

Last edited:
He can, but it won't remain a secret for long. The psychic blade is rather obvious.

I've closed the interest check for further players, as 5 is just the right number for me, in order of appearance:
  • Rusty
  • Sherwood
  • Psychie
  • Gears
  • Riku

Whoa, a lot happened since I was last here. Let me read through and answer everything.

About race
Sherwood Sherwood Minotaur is ok for me. I'd like you to consider these ideas: he might be the last of his kind. If the tribe was eradicated, and he's the last one, that plays on him being different. Another option is the tribe came through a portal from another world, and that's why there were so few of them. -- However, these ideas are just that, ideas. Take them or leave them as it fits you best. So, you can have the race originating and fully existing in our game world, if that's what you prefer.
Psychie Psychie I haven't seen many gnomes in play. Do you want to go with my deep gnome (svirfneblin) idea, or some other subrace?
Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford Sorry, but I'm not interested in half-orcs, for the same reason I don't want elves, dwarves, halflings and tieflings. Is there something else you'd be interested in?

Gears Gears 'Interested in playing a former thief who got recruited' - that's neat for a magistrate, and also useful.
Okay! I'll just do a custom lineage Human then. I mainly wanted the strength and con bonuses from Half Orc statistically anyways. I liked the idea od a half orc knight, but human works for me!

estelle estelle How flexible are you on warlock patron theming?
For example, I’m currently looking at the Great Old One and Genie patrons. The GOO option is less looking at an Elder God per se and more a rogue mind flayer with interests in the duchy empowering a fellow psionic. The Genie option would be less dependent on the alignment of the genie type and more flexible to be what I would like in a patron matched up with what fits the setting.

About race

Awesome. I have a minotuar paladin ready to go. I just need to type him up nice and neat. Looking forward to this. It is helping to take my mind off of my current situation where I'm in the hospital with lung issues for the past 42 days. I really need some good gaming to keep my spirits up.

I'll think on the background ideas on the minotaur race.

Sherwood Sherwood Sorry to hear that, mate. Hope you feel better soon!

As for background, are you a flavor first or mechanics first type when it comes to backgrounds?

The original background I had come up with for this character may not work in this setting, so let me know what you think.

Many years ago, a minotuar band was running around, pillaging the villages and generally running amok. The villagers in the area appealed to the local order of knights to help, and a party of the holy knights departed their keep with the intent on stopping the terror and restoring order once more. The minotaurs were a good fight, but in the end, were no match for the battle trained holy warriors, and were soon dispatched. But in one of the tents, the leader of the paladins found a baby minotuar. He was about to put the baby out of its misery, but as he pulled his sword back to kill it, something stopped him from carrying through with his plan. He decided to bring the baby back to the keep with him and raise it in the ways of the Order.

As the years went by, the newest member of the keep was taught the ways of [insert divine patron here] and excelled. He finally took the oaths of the order, and was the first minotaur to take his place as a full-fledged member of the Order.

So RikuXIII, does that work for this setting, or do we need to tweak it a bit?

Oh! Sorry, I thought you were referring to the Background options in the 5e rules, not your character's story background.
The story sounds good, though whether it fits is estelle's realm.

I’ll probably use haunted one as my background, character will be from a minor thieving crew in a distant city before they were betrayed and captured, with everyone being sentenced to death. My character escaped and fled to the current city, stealing for a time before reforming.

estelle estelle Are we going to be starting out with any extra equipment over the starting stuff we get? I wouldn't be adverse to having a magic weapon, or perhaps a suit of plate mail, for instance. :coolshades:;)

Is there a special pantheon of gods in this world, or are we using the standard ones from the DnD book?

RikuXIII RikuXIII
I think I'm quite flexible at theming a patron, but I don't want to pinpoint it individually. If I do that, specific goals and railroading would be the logical result (the patron trying to force specific quests / tasks on the PC), which I don't want to happen in this game. And anyway, the book only uses the patron as flavor, nothing restrictive or enforcing.

'As for background, are you a flavor first or mechanics first type when it comes to backgrounds?'
I don't really know what you mean by that. You can re-flavor any background, and feel free to swap proficiencies to what you like. Is that that what you were inquiring about?

The theme is up to you, just don't make it specific as an individual.

Sherwood Sherwood
'It is helping to take my mind off of my current situation where I'm in the hospital with lung issues for the past 42 days.'
Ah, get better soon!

The background story is fine for me for your minotaur character.
Now I remember you had already asked about equipment, and I forgot to answer then, sorry about that.
You get your starting equipment or gold, your choice, +250 gp. You can sell your starting stuff for full price for chargen.

Psychie Psychie (and everyone)
p.295 of the PHB: Greyhawk deities.

RikuXIII RikuXIII
I think I'm quite flexible at theming a patron, but I don't want to pinpoint it individually. If I do that, specific goals and railroading would be the logical result (the patron trying to force specific quests / tasks on the PC), which I don't want to happen in this game. And anyway, the book only uses the patron as flavor, nothing restrictive or enforcing.

'As for background, are you a flavor first or mechanics first type when it comes to backgrounds?'
I don't really know what you mean by that. You can re-flavor any background, and feel free to swap proficiencies to what you like. Is that that what you were inquiring about?

The theme is up to you, just don't make it specific as an individual.

Sherwood Sherwood
'It is helping to take my mind off of my current situation where I'm in the hospital with lung issues for the past 42 days.'
Ah, get better soon!

The background story is fine for me for your minotaur character.
Now I remember you had already asked about equipment, and I forgot to answer then, sorry about that.
You get your starting equipment or gold, your choice, +250 gp. You can sell your starting stuff for full price for chargen.

Psychie Psychie (and everyone)
p.295 of the PHB: Greyhawk deities.
Cool deal. I am all set to post my character once you have a thread for it up.

So, what is the cost of a +1 Longsword? I'm not able to find anything on it in the PHB.

EDIT and in the DMG it shows that an uncommon item runs 101-500 gp.

Last edited:
estelle estelle
Excellent. Something I forgot to mention, but any patron I'd want to flesh out would be a positive relationship. I actually quite like the idea of the patron wishing to protect the Duchess and her lands, thus empowers the character to be a better magistrate. Any pressure from the patron would be push the character to down the general campaign path we would already be traveling.

For the background question, I misunderstood what Sherwood meant in a previous comment and was seeing if I could be of assistance.
For my character's background, I'm going with a favorite of mine "Failed Merchant" from Acquisitions Incorporated. It gets me some skills I want, a tool proficiency which I'm using for Brewers Supplies, and a piece of backstory. Combined with the Chef feat for Cook's utensils proficiency, we have someone who tried to run an inn, but the business went belly up. With few options and some debts, the character used their natural magical affinity and the backing of an interested patron to start adventuring for the good of the duchy. This leads to a magistrate's position and current campaign.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back