XCOM 2 (May contain spoilers/cheats)

I'm having plenty of fun on Commander Ironman. I'm doing really bad on a retaliation mission. It's got 1 Muton, 1 stunner, 1 faceless, 1 MEC, 1 trooper, and no explosives. I'm at 4/6 civilians required civilians and there's only 2 left on the map. My five soldiers only have basic gear. If I try to evac, the game crashes. I'm screwed.

DerUbermensch said:
There's a reason why I do Ironman lite. Even the tiniest of accidental clicks can make a big impact.
I'll accept most things but when I'm in a situation such as the above, I quit the game before through the task manager instead of saving and quitting.

Last edited by a moderator:
ryanpk200 said:
I'll accept most things but when I'm in a situation such as the above, I quit the game before through the task manager instead of saving and quitting.
Likewise when the game freezes for no reason at all. That's why I'd save often, early, and in different slots. I delete the saves if my computer gets clogged. Firaxis fails to realize that Microsoft products can act so ornery with the user.

Edrondol said:
I won the game today. Not sure how. That last battle is freaking brutal.
That last battle with the Avatars was ridiculous. I decided to place everyone out in the open and bombard them with what I had left.

ryanpk200 said:
That last battle with the Avatars was ridiculous. I decided to place everyone out in the open and bombard them with what I had left.
Avatars can turn a sure win into disaster. I had to strategically place my troops and set up firing squads.

DerUbermensch said:
Avatars can turn a sure win into disaster. I had to strategically place my troops and set up firing squads.
I like using skills like rapid fire and fan fire on the Avatars. They can't teleport until the soldier finishes firing.

Good old XCOM.

I've been having a decent amount of fun with XCOM2, though I still have to break the habit of wanting to take my time, both in missions and the overall campaign. The timed missions can be quite annoying.

Recently downloaded a bunch of voice packs, gearing up for another try at the campaign.

Silverthorn said:
Good old XCOM.
I've been having a decent amount of fun with XCOM2, though I still have to break the habit of wanting to take my time, both in missions and the overall campaign. The timed missions can be quite annoying.

Recently downloaded a bunch of voice packs, gearing up for another try at the campaign.
There's a mod that improves timed missions. I think it's called "True Stealth" or something. It makes it so the timers start ticking down when concealment is broken.

I'll have to look into that, it would be very helpful.

One of the last missions I played before taking a break was the Avenger defense mission. It was one of the most fun missions I've played.

You thought that one was FUN?!? Holy crap on a cracker! You start with limited cover and the enemies are EVERYWHERE! Then command says, "We're letting you have reinforcements!" Who do they send? A platoon? Maybe EVERYONE! Nope. One guy. Oh look, he's wounded and shaken. Thanks, Commander, you idiot.

Look, when the ship is under attack and you have to prevent them from getting in at all costs, you throw everything you have at the enemy, not one walking wounded at a time. No wonder the Commander lost the Earth the last time.

I haven't played the mission but I'm guessing it's like the base defense from EW. In both situations, when the door could be opened, they only had enough time to push one push one guy through before the door had to recharge. If that isn't a good enough explanation, blame video game logic.

Sometimes reality MUST ensue. XCOM 2's game mechanics need some amount of realism to make it more logical. Point blank shots must be 100% hit no matter what, for example.

DerUbermensch said:
Sometimes reality MUST ensue. XCOM 2's game mechanics need some amount of realism to make it more logical. Point blank shots must be 100% hit no matter what, for example.
nMvhw5y.jpg

There's an addon that allows you to see the breakdown percentages of your shots. I highly recommend it. Unless you play on a console, in which case you are a peasant and deserve nothing more than my derisive laughter. "Ha ha ha HAAAAA!"

Edrondol said:
You thought that one was FUN?!? Holy crap on a cracker! You start with limited cover and the enemies are EVERYWHERE! Then command says, "We're letting you have reinforcements!" Who do they send? A platoon? Maybe EVERYONE! Nope. One guy. Oh look, he's wounded and shaken. Thanks, Commander, you idiot.
Look, when the ship is under attack and you have to prevent them from getting in at all costs, you throw everything you have at the enemy, not one walking wounded at a time. No wonder the Commander lost the Earth the last time.
True, though I found it a great way to farm the Advent and level up the rookies they sent out. Just accomplish the main objective and pull everyone back to the 'evac' point, and let the enemies come to you. If one gets to close for comfort, just end the mission. I think I killed 40 something enemies doing that.

Edrondol said:
There's an addon that allows you to see the breakdown percentages of your shots. I highly recommend it. Unless you play on a console, in which case you are a peasant and deserve nothing more than my derisive laughter. "Ha ha ha HAAAAA!"
I think the game already breakdowns percentages. Unless I downloaded the mod you were talking about and forgot about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, for the final mission. There is absolutely NO WAY you can kill all the aliens and don't try to. That'll just end up with a failure scenario. Go after the avatars and don't try to be a BDH. It doesn't change anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back