XCOM 2 (May contain spoilers/cheats)

DerUbermensch

Nietzsche reader
For those who played the game, I think you know what's going on. For those out of the loop, the bad guys from the previous episode won and it's up to the player to liberate Earth. What I'd like to discuss with players would be mainly strategies and the overall material regarding the game.

One thing that I find new is the open modding of the game. Game mods are a calculated risk in my opinion. On one hand, they can add flavor and spice to the game. Conversely, they can wreak technical havoc.

Enough about me. I'd like to hear from everyone else.

Just bought it today. So far it really reminds me of the last X-Com game, but I miss the old days of the original X-Com when you could purchase (hire) any number of Engineers or Scientists. I feel restricted in that and character leveling. But other than that so far I'm digging it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edrondol said:
Just bought ti today. So far it really reminds me of the last X-Com game, but I miss the old days of the original X-Com when you could purchase (hire) any number of Engineers or Scientists. I feel restricted in that and character leveling. But other than that so far I'm digging it.
I actually do prefer the very original. I often complain that everything is nerfed, even the aliens. Still, sometimes beggars can't be choosers.

I picked it up last weekend. I'm loving it so far. I do like that they added mod support. It's great since it extends the life of the game and it allows my rookies to pursue their calling as stormtroopers.

My favorite thing about the game is in the increased customization options and the new classes. My least favorite thing has already been mentioned. My ship is understaffed and I'm having to make do with only a couple engineers. What do you guys like and dislike?

My missions so far:

Send in 4 troops. (Not like 100 - 4.) Sniper gets up high and kills things. Heavy gunner gets his brain massaged by the good looking bald thing and falls madly in love, attacking the other troops. A scout type goes down to furious barrage of heavy weapons fire. The medic panics and runs away while the aliens swarm the sniper.

Back in the ship the Commander lowers his head in shame while taps plays quietly in the distance.

Edrondol said:
My missions so far:
Send in 4 troops. (Not like 100 - 4.) Sniper gets up high and kills things. Heavy gunner gets his brain massaged by the good looking bald thing and falls madly in love, attacking the other troops. A scout type goes down to furious barrage of heavy weapons fire. The medic panics and runs away while the aliens swarm the sniper.

Back in the ship the Commander lowers his head in shame while taps plays quietly in the distance.
As the phrase goes, "That's XCOM Baby!"

One solution to problems? Save often, save early, and NEVER overwrite saves. I'm not above save-scumming when just learning the ropes. There's a learning curve in comparison to Enemy Unknown and/or Enemy Within. The aliens and their allies are either laughable or tough. No middle ground for me.

DerUbermensch said:
One solution to problems? Save often, save early, and NEVER overwrite saves. I'm not above save-scumming when just learning the ropes. There's a learning curve in comparison to Enemy Unknown and/or Enemy Within. The aliens and their allies are either laughable or tough. No middle ground for me.
Oh I save scum. I save scum like a saving scumming save scummer. I save early, I save often.

But right now I have to rush forward like a moron because the mission is "SAVE ALL THE CIVILIANS!!" and of course I'm brought in on one side of the map, the aliens on the other and the people standing next to the aliens. If I take my time and use cover the civilians are all dead by the time I get near them. If I rush in like Rambo I get cut to ribbons by those green flanking bastards.

[QUOTE="i love nick check]What are we talking about now?

[/QUOTE]
See the title and first post.

As for everyone else, sometimes I often mock other players when they use the "Hero" characters as cheat codes. Especially when said characters are ludicrously powerful.

[QUOTE="i love nick check]I did, but I've never seen or read what we're talking about.

[/QUOTE]
Since you don't know what we're talking about, why are you here?

I'll bet Nick Check loves X-Com. (> :D )

It's a video game. If you like turn-based strategy it's one of the best ones out there. But prepare yourself for pain!

Back on track, I'd love to hear some legitimate strategies. Personally, I think the stealth mechanic and trying to stay in it can be dumb. Especially in timed missions. I like to go loud by first setting up overwatch firing squads and then letting them have it weapons free.

Why try to untie a knot when you can just cut it in half?

I've discovered a interesting bug. (I have no clue what causes it.) So every once in a while, I seem to break the alien ai. During the mission, the aliens do nothing other than just stand there. It makes missions extremely easy.

ryanpk200 said:
I've discovered a interesting bug. (I have no clue what causes it.) So every once in a while, I seem to break the alien ai. During the mission, the aliens do nothing other than just stand there. It makes missions extremely easy.
Oh I did too in the initial build. It's more than likely that the AI is stuck in a loop. The bugs weren't present in the prototypes, but somehow they bungled it up. Either way the bugs are minor enough for me to ignore.

I rage quit for a little while. I'll be back. Those grey bastards haven't beaten me yet.

Except for most of the battles I've fought.

I actually have. Though via a bit of attrition. Usually, attrition is the way to go in the X-COM (old series) games. XCOM 2 is practically a throwback mixing elements of old and new.

Love it when my gun is practically picking a sectoid's nose and it only has 45% accuracy. Damn you recruits.

Rip said:
Love it when my gun is practically picking a sectoid's nose and it only has 45% accuracy. Damn you recruits.
kQsLo.png

The atrocious accuracy of XCOM troops reminds me of an Evil Overlord quote, the 56th rule.

"My Legion of Terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back