Idea Working On A Character

Fangs9090

Total Video Game Nerd
Supporter
I think that's the right prefix...

Anyway, I've got a character idea, but I'm not quite sure how to proceed with making her. The main part of the idea is that she does odd things that people normally won't do (ie. taking a shower then walking out of the bathroom before she's dry, or eating cereal from a glass, or sleeping sideways across the bed, or other random stuff I'll make up as I go). The problem I've encountered is why she does this stuff. Because I see two possibilities. One, because she's not too bright so she doesn't know better. Or two, because she simply doesn't care. I don't know which one I want to go with.

Maybe make it so she tries to be different from everyone? Or maybe she's trying to experience life from a different perspective?

Maybe make it so she tries to be different from everyone? Or maybe she's trying to experience life from a different perspective?
Hm... I dunno.... That first one I feel would make it too easy for her to be labeled as a hipster and that's not what I'm going for here. The second one suggests she used to do things normally, but she didn't. Also it sounds like she does everything weird, but it's only selective things that I kinda make up as I go.

Hm... I dunno.... That first one I feel would make it too easy for her to be labeled as a hipster and that's not what I'm going for here. The second one suggests she used to do things normally, but she didn't. Also it sounds like she does everything weird, but it's only selective things that I kinda make up as I go.

Maybe make it like this.

Your character is trying to experiment doing things in various ways because she's very "study" about life in general.

That sounds like a normal explanation. I'm going for weird here.

Your character has some short of mental disorder that makes him do things like that. Best I could think of.

After all, us humans think that those people who are different are "weird". insert cue laugh track here

Your character has some short of mental disorder that makes him do things like that. Best I could think of.

After all, us humans think that those people who are different are "weird". insert cue laugh track here
That would be pretty close to what I mentioned first. And she more than likely will not be human either.

Is this some moe thing? Here are what I see as possibilities.

1. She got OCD or autism, or one of the other compulsive disorders. This is not the same thing as being dumb, despite what you just said... that was kinda insulting.
2. She's one of those interminable 'quirky' people who just has to be noticed for how different they are. She's doing it for attention.
3. She has an intense desire to break the world, in an inventive way. She does these things because she's experimenting with different ways to accomplish normal tasks.
4. Supernatural/alien creature of some sort, just plain doesn't know how things are done.
5. Drug addict. High all the time.
6. She thinks she can transcend the mundane world and exit boring reality if she does everything the 'wrong' way. This is also probably also a disordered thought pattern.
7. Depression. Doing things the right way is more effort than she's capable of.

Honestly this character could be a real pain in the ass if you do it wrong. Her behaviour will come off as attention seeking if you rub it in everyone's faces. Keep it cute and low-key.

1. She got OCD or autism, or one of the other compulsive disorders. This is not the same thing as being dumb, despite what you just said... that was kinda insulting.
2. She's one of those interminable 'quirky' people who just has to be noticed for how different they are. She's doing it for attention.
3. She has an intense desire to break the world, in an inventive way. She does these things because she's experimenting with different ways to accomplish normal tasks.
4. Supernatural/alien creature of some sort, just plain doesn't know how things are done.
6. She thinks she can transcend the mundane world and exit boring reality if she does everything the 'wrong' way. This is also probably also a disordered thought pattern.

Honestly this character could be a real pain in the ass if you do it wrong. Her behaviour will come off as attention seeking if you rub it in everyone's faces. Keep it cute and low-key.
Mm...gotcha. Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

This is less a character idea and more a random bunch of quirks. These are things a lot of characters could do if written correctly, but by themselves is the equivalent of saying "I want a character with blond hair". I would suggest building a character first and then trying to see if you can fit these quirks into them, because otherwise it will feel like a gimmicky (and possibly annoying) character.

I mentioned some of them but... This. That's literally all the things you can use to make your character seem more than just a weird person (which she is).

From an outsider's perspective, role playing with this character sounds like it might be a little annoying. I don't mean to be a downer or anything, it's just the "lol so random!" trope can be an eye-roll at times.

The idea of it being an alien trying to figure out Earth customs is a good idea though, like Starfire from the Teen Titans cartoon. She's a lil oddball, but it's totally adorable because she's not from this planet and doesn't always understand it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back