When Castles Fly

They may end up destroying the tablet that binds the demons, setting them free to pour towards Wangler's Knob. It could be a good chance for them to test out the place's weaponry as they nuke demons from the sky.

If they don't I'll have the serpents that make up the close-defense system stretch out to eat up all the demons as the fortress takes off, then regurgitate them when it lands. With the PCs underground in the control room the whole time they may not even notice.

If they don't I'll have the serpents that make up the close-defense system stretch out to eat up all the demons as the fortress takes off
You mean eat up the thousands of demons scattered over many square miles?

Ok, so just the 500 Founders scattered over many square miles. Check.

Right. Just the 500 Founders scattered over many square miles.

It's just a flavor text explanation of the demons remaining bound to the fortress when it flies away. Got any better ideas? I'll happily swipe them. :)

Personally, I think it's cheezy an unbelievable. If you want the Invisible Fortress to fly, that's fine, but you'll need to address the fact that this fundamentally changes the situation there. Hand-waving the demons away instead of actually figuring out the ramifications of your change is lame.

You want an idea? Here's a simple one...the PCs actually solve the problem. Whether by slaughtering the demons, enslaving them, banishing them, warding them tightly into a limited area and seeing that the wards are refreshed once every year and day... there are many different ways that the demon issue can be solved...but simply letting them ignore it isn't particullarly epic. Part of what makes a game of epic heroism is struggle. If things aren't a challenge on some level, or threats simply are taken care of without even any NPC input, much less PC input, then that's not particullarly interesting for a story or game. Even if they simply release the demons on the countryside like the Anathema they are, that at least has some ramifications.

Part of what makes a game of epic heroism is struggle.
Simply finding THE way to take care of these demons should be epic...

Break the tablett: Demons are free... to go wherever they want.

Banish them: Demons are free... to be summoned over and over...

Kill them: see above (as second circle demons just "re-generate" them)

Let them as they are: They remain bound to the tablett, and just cry ... (eh eh eh Puts back the "emo" in demons...) Though they are still free.. to procreate with the local fauna...

No easy way out

-Torak

Just a question I forgot to ask...

Why do you want the Invisible fortress to fly? I know a flying castle is cool but.. why this one specifically? Why didn't you just make one up?

-Torak

You want an idea? Here's a simple one...the PCs actually solve the problem. Whether by slaughtering the demons' date=' enslaving them, banishing them, warding them tightly into a limited area and seeing that the wards are refreshed once every year and day... there are many different ways that the demon issue can be solved...but simply letting them ignore it isn't particullarly epic. Part of what makes a game of epic heroism is struggle. If things aren't a challenge on some level, or threats simply are taken care of without even any NPC input, much less PC input, then that's not particullarly interesting for a story or game. Even if they simply release the demons on the countryside like the Anathema they are, that at least has some ramifications.[/quote']
I'm not letting them ignore it, and I'm sory if I said anything that lead people to believe that. What they're doing is bringing the problem with them wherever they go. I did say they got regurgitated back out later. At best they're transplanting the problem from one bleak landscape to another. At worst they're inadvertently dropping it in the laps of their friends and family.

Torak said:
Just a question I forgot to ask...
Why do you want the Invisible fortress to fly? I know a flying castle is cool but.. why this one specifically? Why didn't you just make one up?

-Torak
Because Time of Tumult's Invisible Fortress adventures looked like they'd be fun to run, and came with a fortress built in already so most of the work was done for me. With two kids, a wife, and a job that demands unexpected overtime every now and then I plunder ideas from wherever I can get them because all my free game prep time is usually spent reacting to the curve balls my players throw.

Why would the designers of the Invisible Manse build it such that it would vaccuum up a bunch of demons when it takes off and then spit them back out again when it lands?

It seems nonsensical.

Why would they bind a bunch of demons to their manse to begin with?

Assuming they want those demons bound near their manse, why wouldn't they make sure they had to stay nearby?

Why would they bind a bunch of demons to their manse to begin with?
So they wouldn't have to break a sweat.

Assuming they want those demons bound near their manse' date=' why wouldn't they make sure they had to stay nearby?[/quote']
The burden of that question is on you. Why would they want to take a bunch of demons around with them wherever they went?

I believe you misunderstood my first question. What I meant was "why would they not release those demons after the sweat-breaking part was over?"

Because even Jehovas witnesses have trouble coming knocking when there's a valley full of demons in front of your manse

.. .. seriously.. I'm fairly sure the general thought behind the 'Invisible' manse, was that they didn't want any visitors or armies bothering them... a horde of demons in the surrounding countryside does that just fine

As for why demons.. well.. it was just -handy- .. they summoned the demons up to build the thing.. then thought, hah, if we screw em over and make em stay, we nailed two birds with one stone.. go team solar!

Exactly. And that would be the same reason they would take those demons with them wherever they went.

There's also the secrecy issue. They didn't want to free the demons because then the builders of the fortress would be free to tell the secrets to whatever demon lords or summoning thaumaturges cared to ask (or didn't ask, if the demon was especially blabby).

My point was that whatever reason is given for binding the demons to the immobile manse would probably hold for why you'd want to bind them to a mobile one as well.

If it's nonsensical, I'm cool with that. It's not like my players will be finding a notebook somewhere explaining who did the binding and why. If they want to find out they'll have to investigate, and those avenues of investigation may provide me with a better explanation I can snatch.

One question I would ask yourself is why would a manse designed for hiding have the ability to move to places that are relatively noticeable.

Every aspect of the invisible manse was ether designed for secrecy, comfort or were latter paranoid changes, other hidden positions would make sense, ones that are easily found don’t.

Edward

I believe you misunderstood my first question. What I meant was "why would they not release those demons after the sweat-breaking part was over?"
I did indeed. Apologies.

One question I would ask yourself is why would a manse designed for hiding have the ability to move to places that are relatively noticeable.
Every aspect of the invisible manse was ether designed for secrecy, comfort or were latter paranoid changes, other hidden positions would make sense, ones that are easily found don’t.

Edward
Why limit where you can move? Sure, you're probably going to want to stay hidden, but Solars look at the big picture. An invisible flying fortress capable of moving anywhere is a much more useful tool then an invisible flying fortress that can only go places people won't see it.

I can't think of an in game explanation for limiting it's flight that would make sense, given that the pilot's desire to stay hidden should be enough of a limit.

I was thinking in terms of the moving between demesnes options, if it can truly fly then they simply wouldn’t take it where it will likely be scene, although it would likely have some powers related to stealth. As I recall the invisible fortress was in a mountain, and only the entrance was concealed, the mountain was visible. If it was to fly it would want some kind of additional concealment, ether in the form of a cloaking or invisibility system or something as simple as a cloud generator so all people see is a drifting cloud.

As for why not dismiss the demons when there work is done, if you dismiss them then they will know where your manse is, no longer being bound they will reveal this information for the asking. Personally I would have killed most of them, the first circle demons can be killed safely, there demonic patron can male replacements but they do not carry on any memories, the second circles however would be remade as themselves, including memories of the location of the manse, those I would have instead secured using the essence draining shackles for all time. That way they have no posability of causing anybody trouble.

There is the possibility that the builders wanted them to defend the manse but that just tells anybody that chances across there range that they immediately know that there is something worth defending near by. There is also the possibility that they will be banished (or the second circle killed) allowing them to take there knowledge of your location back to mafias.

Edward

The description of the manse is a little disjointed in that it says the manse is partially inside the cliff face but never says by how much. Since my version is meant to fly, I'll have the parts that are in the face be there because of the same rockfall that shattered one of the rooftop windows. But the manse itself is completely hidden (thanks to its hearthstone) until the Guardian makes it visible to lure the Solars in.

Another reason to keep the demons around, especially with a flying fortress, is for use as a weapon. If you can land your fortress and already have 500 demonic troops on the ground looking to spread a little havoc you can watch to gauge your opponent's defenses and let them waste strength fighting your renewable resources.

I'm going to have the talisman prevent banishing and make killing them a temporary thing (without some sort of Ghost Eating Strike effect). I figure if they were banishable then at least one of the many groups that have found the fortress and died would have banished or killed one or more of the original 500 founders. Likewise some must die in a hunt every now and then because those ice eaters can be nasty.

Flagg said:
Why would the designers of the Invisible Manse build it such that it would vaccuum up a bunch of demons when it takes off and then spit them back out again when it lands?
It seems nonsensical.
OT:  That is EM's favorite word.  And that scares me thinking of you two acting in the same manner.
Back on topic:

I've been working on the flying fortress idea for a while now (they're just cool and I want one, is all).  My main idea was a set of Manses located around Creation in a geomantic pattern that each controlled an aspect of the fortress, working together to make it work properly.  I don't see one Manse allowing for the flight capabilities of an entire castle and the area needed to sustain it.

So, an Air aspected Manse to keep it aloft, a Wood aspected Manse to keep it growing food, a Water aspected Manse for the plumbing, a Fire aspected Manse for powering the big-ass space heater, an Earth aspected Manse to keep the center of gravity adjusted properly (so you're not flying it upside-down), a Lunar aspected Manse to keep the neighbors from seeing it, a Solar aspected Manse to power your anti-social bits, and a Sidereal aspected Manse to keep it off the radar.

I was contemplating having 6 settings for hearthstones, one solar and 5 elemental ones. The Solar one holds the hearthstone of the Invisible Fortress and maintains the invisbility (similar to the stealth larceny charm which grants near perfect stealth until you're in a battle.

The elementa ones would allow for powering the various functions of the manse without requiring the players to spend essence. For instance, inserting a fire aspected hearthstone into the fire slot powers the weapons (one per dot). The air one would allow for flight at a speed based on it's rating.

I want a little more than plumbing, gravity, and food for the other three, but I'm not sure exactly what. Earth will defenitely strengthen the walls.

I suppose Water could grant more control, since flying it is based off of sail. Wood could power medical facilities. That doesn't quite sound right to me though.

I'll definitely be swiping your effects as supplemental bonuses for having the hearthstones. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back