What's more important? A job you are more passionate about? Or a job that might pay better?

Ene Kagerou

Member of the Mekakushi Dan
My parents want me to become a lawyer, but I want to focuse on Theater Arts or Animation/Graphic Arts.

That depends, are you able to do the one with more pay efficiently ? Because if not, it's only a matter of time before you get fired for not working good enough.

I'd say the one which you see comfort in working, you won't have a problem with it since you are more comfortable in that job, no matter how much the pay is.

I'd say go with whatever you're best at-- you'll get more pay for doing well anyway.

I can't say I completely agree with Melix, there are certainly times in a person's life were they might sacrifice money to do something they are passionate about. And as Joker suggested getting into a career just for the money isn't a great idea. It will be draining for you and I doubt that your employer will be all that satisfied.

That being said, I recommend keeping an open mind, you may be surprised but what you may enjoy. I never thought I would be happy working in the insurance industry but I actually enjoy it quite a bit. I recommend keeping an open mind but if something doesn't feel right for you then don't do it. And there's a reason that there are more people who leave their creative interests as hobbies rather than careers. While it's certainly true that it's possible to make money by doing these things, it does take a lot of commitment and luck. It wouldn't hurt to see what's out there to find out if there are other things that might make you happy.

Whatever you choose, Ene, I wish you the best of luck.

Well technically a job do mean going to earn some money for you to sustain your life. So I'd suggest doing a job that you do and know best.

I can feel your pain. My parents wanted me to be a Doctor/Lawyer/Business man, anything that pays really well. It never was for me though. Unless I enjoy something, I will never put much effort into it. I will only do it until it I have accomplished an "average" result and then leave it.

I worked in my father's business, a textile business. He wanted me to take it over. The business turns over a great profit and I knew that I took over, I could either sell it for a great profit or keep making lots and lots of money.

After working there for a few months, I knew instantly that I could never keep the business going. I simply hated it and did not enjoy it at all and as time went by realised I only started to resent my father for it. I quit the next day and now I'm following my own path as a part time bartender until I get myself sorted and can go into the job I want to. I'm earning less money, but I am happier. For me, that is all that matters.

Everyone is different, but I always have felt that if I can live comfortably and get up every morning looking forward to the day, then I have accomplished my goal. I'd rather earn less and do my dream than earn more and start dreading getting up and hating the day. Why should we, as humans, only live to enjoy the weekend?

The whole reason for wanting more money is the general assumption that if you have more money you will be happier. This is true to some degree because with more money you can afford to do more things that you enjoy, have more things that you like, etc... But consider this: Would you prefer to spend the rest of your life doing something that you don't enjoy to try to earn money to be happy or would you rather have a job that makes you happy in the first place?

It also depends on what your goals in life are, like do you want to travel, do you want to spend your life in one place, do you think you would want a big house, would you not mind a smaller house, what luxuries do you want to be able to afford, etc... Some people say that you can only be truly great at something that you are passionate about and whether this makes a difference to you can also influence your decision.

Take into mind what sort of life you want to lead and what you want to be able to afford. When considering these things try to think about which one would make you happier with life overall.

(I don't know what you wanted to go into in theatre but I know that acting in theater is a very unstable job and people often have to take on another job such as being a waiter in a restaurant. So it also depends on whether you can handle that sort of stress and instability.)

Some people live to work others work to live. Neither is wrong but certain people have an easier time committing to one or the other.

They both sound important, though, these days it is hard to find both, it's either one or the other. You want to do something you love while at the same time having the money to maintain other things. I think I would choose the job I love, nothing worse than going to a job you don't enjoy because the pay may be slightly better. After some time it'll eventually wear you down. I think you should choose what you want to do. It's helpful to have the advice of your parents but ultimately this is your life. Do what makes you happy plus,you can always have a backup plan in the works. :smile 2:

Both factors are important to consider in a job. Sure, the main reason for getting a job is obviously money. Without money, you wouldn't be able to fulfill basic needs such as food, water, clothes and shelter. Money is also the motivation for some people and highly paid jobs are very desirable. With more money, you are of course able to do more. If you have any hobbies or enjoy shopping, for example, then you would be able to enjoy them to a greater extent.

On the other hand, that isn't to say that job satisfaction isn't important. It's important that you enjoy what you're doing at the same time. After all, you don't want to bore yourself to tears by doing something you don't like!

It comes down to each individual, really. Someone I know personally never thought that she would be running a very profitable flower shop but she has never quit since she started part-time when she was 16 years old. She doesn't even like flowers. She hates them, in fact and only knows Valentine's Day as her busy week rather than as some lovey-dovey holiday. But she really loves her job and she makes good money doing it.

Yet I could point to another friend who spent 10 years bringing home an extra pretty penny in a job that he absolutely hated and now he owns his own pizza shop and is loving it. His tendency to spend fast and live fast helped him attain this dream, as well.

So really, it is something that only you can decide. You have to sit down and figure out what you really want to do. Do you really want to take the high risk in pursuing your creative goals in order to meet your required finances or do you want to pursue a stable, well-paying job and keep your creativity on more of a hobby-level? Whichever one you decide, you still have to decide if it is worth it.

Sure, you can seek opinions from outside sources and many of them may even bring up good points but it can only be decided by you because only you know best.

The only thing I can suggest is really only a reminder. Creative pursuits can be made at any time, even during or after other goals. A hobby can make you money even while you are working at a different job. Hell, if you can't find steady work in a creative field, you'd have to fall back on a 9 to 5 anyways so at least this way your fall-back job is something more than some minimum wage bologna. But that's just me speaking from the experience of my own situation.

Whatever you choose, best of luck.

Money, time, and energy. Choose two out of three. If you go for the high-paying job that doesn't eat up all of your time, it will probably be soul-destroying and you won't feel like doing much when you get home. A job that makes you feel energized and happy while leaving you some time will pay next to nothing. A job that pays well and you enjoy will probably leave no time. Figure out which one you're most comfortable with losing, and go for it!

No one can tell you which priority is right- and there's nothing wrong with wanting a ton of money so you can have a giant house, a new care, and retire young. There's nothing wrong with living paycheck to paycheck but smiling as you walk home from work every day, either. Just understand that you're more likely to find a job that gives 1/3 than 3/3. xD

Both. If you had a job just because of the money, you would not be able to enjoy it as much, and thus not do as well in it compared to a job that you are truly passionate about. However, if you don't feel as if you are being paid enough, you may not be able to love it as much because you might think that you deserved more.

But everyone views on jobs and money are different- for example, I do not particularly have a 'material' view on life so I don't really see the point in having a well paid job (I would most likely waste money from one anyway because i don't really care about it) So I have a job that I love and never want to change, but others see money as a major necessity in life and thus think it was more important (like if you have a family you need the money more or something)

I agree with the "both" option. Both are important in different ways (obviously.)

If I had to choose one...I just wouldn't. I'd do something that will incorporate both aspects, although compromising some areas.

You can't have everything, but you can have close enough to everything.

With something like being a lawyer, and doing something related to the arts...You could always try to become an Entertainment or Media Lawyer. This covers things like Film, Theatre and Visual arts + design as well, so you still get to be around the arts.

Neither unless you are a prodigy, extraordinarily talented. If either, the money ... BUT ... only if you do something with it for your future.

Most of RpN are, to me. kids. (A few are young enough to be my grandkids ... ouch.) If you were to work a job - any job - at a young age, but always set aside part of your earnings ... by the time you are in your mid 30's you could retire and do anything you want. ... twice.

For me, I think you have to actually like your line of work for it to be worthwhile. It's your happiness, whether you find it in the wage or occupation, you have to try to find it.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I believe doing work that you enjoy. Something you are passionate about. If it isn't a typical job, then try to find a way to make your passion.... work for you. Given that, I do understand that in these times that money is...... increasingly important... so to speak. However, if you have enough drive and passion for your work, it has a way of working out in the end. If you find that it isn't working, then find a middle ground. Find something that is mildly entertaining and work at it. Explore different options. You might even find a new skill that you didn't know you had and might also find something else that you like doing.

My passion is singing. Though I don't have a career in it, I hope to have one. I want to be on the Grand Ole Opry one day. :3 At least once. Right now I just sing for people that need it. Which also caters to my other like. Making people smile. I don't get money for it, but maybe I will some day. ^_^

Am I the only one who wants to shout: passion!

If it's where my heart is at, I don't care how much money it earns me. I have yet to come across someone whose passion can't sustain them so that is almsot never a problem.

If it's my passion then I will automatically work my hardest and try my very best. I will be emotionally satisfied with what I am doing, I'll be happy. I will wake up and be happy to go to work because it is something I like. With passion, I can make things work, and I can make ends meet.

For me, passion is the only source of motivation. I cannot for the life of me motivate myself to do anything that I sincerely dislike. I just can't do it. It has costs me, but it has also taught me to find creative ways to be doing only things that I like doing, and I have managed to make it work. So I am very happy!

EDIT: Below is a video (ignore the melodramatic piano music) of a college teacher with an incureable form of cancer. He actually makes a mention of passion at the 2nd minute. This man is dying, I am very keen to take his word for it that passion > things (read: good paying jobs = money = things).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should pursue what you love, and try very hard to exceed in that.

Yes, it can be true that sometimes you spend large amounts of money pursuing the education required to get that job, but in the end if you can find meaning in the work you are doing then you are on the right track. I mean--what is one person's standard of comfortable living is not another's standard--obviously some stiuations are more extreme--but there will always be outliers among any data pool.

With that said, if you find joy in what your parents want you to do, then by all means pursue it--but if you don't, then you don't want to spend 25 years of your life and wake up one day just to realize you wasted your life away on your own.

It's your life =] and only your life--make sure that it's something you will be happy about regardless of the money and regardless of what happens. I know I'm not the best person qualified to tell you these things, especially how I followed my passion to field no one cares about and doesn't make any money unless you become a university professor, but I still love my decision to follow my passion and arrive at where I am.

I'm rooting for you, so go follow your dreams =]

It's hard to do well at a job you don't care about. And for the most part it's true, if you lack passion for the job it will come out one way or another. All the same I have to find all the people stating do what you love without reserve rather naïve. How much are you willing sacrifice to hang in with a job that you love over one that pays more. Drop going out as frequently to pay for health care, drop health care to eat regularly, drop meals to pay for transportation to get to work. These are real decisions a person has to make and for most people they do take a toll eventually.

Oh, this is such a difficult question. There are factors that go into it that require such a perfect amount of balance.

Unfortunately, much of the world nowadays is very focused on economic standards and just money in general. Every necessity requires it - a home, food, water, electricity - and without the proper amount of funds to support yourself, you won't be living a very comfortable lifestyle, and you most likely won't be able to afford your own home.

But, then again, being passionate about work is a
huge factor in having an enjoyable and happy life. I naturally would be one to jump to a job you enjoy, but since I've been growing, I've been slowly realizing just how much we revolve around money nowadays. The entire idea of a job is to earn money to live, but at the same time, you'll want it to be a fun experience to keep motivated and even excited to work.

My motto is 'if there's a will, there's a way', and I'm
absolutely positive that you have an opportunity to work out a plan for this. If you don't want to be a lawyer, do not be one. Working for a job that you feel a need to drag yourself out of bed for everyday will have a deep impact on your emotional health, and that has an even deeper impact on the way you live the rest of you life.

However, you'll have to carefully map out that alternate route before you can start trekking it. And you'll have to prepare yourself for tribulations and disappointment, because it's more than likely going to take a
lot of effort to get there. You'll have to be prepared for the downsides of working for what you enjoy just as much as the upsides, so if you choose that path, be ready for whatever else comes with it besides the enjoyment.

That's my opinion~.

At the moment, I work a job where I build cabinets, shelves and tables (one of which has been on Australia's Masterchef) drive a forklift, drive a truck, handle e-waste, work with chemicals with toxic fumes, I work 9 hours a day (7am till 4pm) rain or shine, with only 2 5 minute breaks and 30 minutes for lunch and I have to on top of all that, supervise 7 people all with severe mental disabilities so they need to be essentially babysat.

I do all this for below minimum wage (I get a disability support pension because of my Aspergers syndrome) so it doesn't effect my DSP from centerlink which is right now under threat thanks to the government's new budget (as my diagnosis when I was about 11 could be under scrutiny.)

Honestly, I'll take a job that pays well over this, if I was paid the normal 20 bucks an hour or more, I'd be right as rain, couldn't be happier! I don't particularly like my job but if I was paid a decent wage I'd be happy.... hell if I was paid enough to not be hemorrhaging money to pay my bills and rent I'd be ecstatic cleaning the sewers of Mumbai!

so yeah, with me, I'll take pay over a likable job any day!

A job that pays well but you don't enjoy will wear you down and eventually you will burn out. I'll take the job I enjoy, excel in it, and be happy. You're only here for a short time anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back