Anime & Manga What was the first anime that you ever watched?

It was Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 and Sailor Moon, before I developed an interest in anime. Then, when I was sneaking nights of Adult Swim, I watched Trigun and picked my first favorite, Cowboy Bebop. I'd say the latter has had far more influence on me than the former.

Going to date myself here. My first anime was probably Robotech. If it wasn't that, it has to be Macron One. Make fun if you want, but back then we had to settle for whatever was broadcast on public television channels.

I suspect that there are some here who will say those don't count as 'real anime', in which case I guess Fist of the North Star probably gets the distinction.

Shades said:
Going to date myself here. My first anime was probably Robotech. If it wasn't that, it has to be Macron One. Make fun if you want, but back then we had to settle for whatever was broadcast on public television channels.
I suspect that there are some here who will say those don't count as 'real anime', in which case I guess Fist of the North Star probably gets the distinction.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Robotech!

Man, that was so long ago...

In that vein, I'm going to override my previous answer here and say that my first anime was probably Tenchi Universe.

Dragon Ball Z if were counting on TV during childhood (though I feel like saying Cow & Chicken xD ) otherwise gateway anime would be Death Note.

Digimon, then came Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z! I remember when Toonami hosted some really neat animes back in the day at night. Cowboy Bebop was my first "adult" anime.

Last edited by a moderator:
BIue said:
Tokyo Mew Mew

And that was the moment, I lost my shit.

EDIT: My first anime was Ranma 1/2. Still have the episodes on a disk somewhere.

Depends how you define anime, I remember watching Voltron as a kid, or Ronin Warriors. Transformers technically, but it was the American version. The first really Anime thing I remember was Dragonball Z, and the first Anime movie I watched was Green Legend Ran when it came on IFC

Technically, Pokemon followed by Digimon.

But since I didn't know that was an anime at the time...it'd be Naruto.

Which I'm rewatching as we speak. Including fillers.

If Pokemon, Inuyasha and Naruto doesn't count (since I, like others, didn't know it was anime at the time), then it was when I was introduced to Chibi Vampire/Karin by my best friend at the time when I was ten. After that, it was Death Note followed by my long spiral into otaku-dom.

Oddly enough, it was S-CRY-ED on Adult Swim. I was like six at the time, and couldn't sleep, so I snuck out of my room to watch Cartoon Network. Imagine my surprise when a completely different fucking channel comes on.

The title flashed by so fast that I didn't really know the name of the damn show at the time, and I was also plopped without context into the climactic final battle of the show. Years later, remembering exclusively the words "Black Joker" and "White Trick" (the villain's attacks), I tracked it down, took one look at the wiki, and after grooving to the rather nice jazz theme song, decided it looked extremely generic and wasn't worth my time.

Then, a year or so after that, I saw Animerica's review of the series. He conclusively proved it was a train wreck, and all I could think was, "Wow! Dodged a bullet there!"

the first ever anime i watched was fairy tail!

...in fact i'm still watching it bc i haven't finished it lol. i keep skipping arcs so i'm not watching it in chronological order. oops~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back